WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New to the v-drive cruiser game

CRT JR

Reaction score
hello all,

I’m new to the forum looking to get into my first boat. I grew up early on a Sanger flat bottom when I was a kid and now that I have small kids of my own I have made up my mind that I want a V-drive cruiser with a minimum of a healthy big block. I am open to anything good that is clean. Possibly even open to something with no motor. I wish I could afford a Schiada RC 21 but at this time with a current major re-model at home so this whole thing may need to wait until next summer but o figure it could not hurt to get my feelers out now. Sorry for the long thread but I’m excited. Thank you

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I hope you got to enjoy this 4th of July holiday weekend.
Last year at this time I had the same thoughts as you wanting a V-drive cruiser.
After spending a year putting my Campbell V-drive cruiser back to together,
I would suddest buying one already together ready to use.
The cost of all the little things will empty the money tree, unless you enjoy working on a boat.
Good luck with your search

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/howard-v-drive.183260/

20190518_082344.jpg
20190518_082315.jpg
20190518_082327.jpg

hello all,

I’m new to the forum looking to get into my first boat. I grew up early on a Sanger flat bottom when I was a kid and now that I have small kids of my own I have made up my mind that I want a V-drive cruiser with a minimum of a healthy big block. I am open to anything good that is clean. Possibly even open to something with no motor. I wish I could afford a Schiada RC 21 but at this time with a current major re-model at home so this whole thing may need to wait until next summer but o figure it could not hurt to get my feelers out now. Sorry for the long thread but I’m excited. Thank you

CRT JR

Reaction score
Last year at this time I had the same thoughts as you wanting a V-drive cruiser.
The cost of all the little things will empty the money tree, unless you enjoy working on a boat.
i did have a good 4th thank you spent 5 days in north Lake Tahoe I hope you had a good one as well. I will do exactly what you advise as this would make sense. With that being said I think I’m going to try and hold out for a Schiada RC 21 with a covered engine preferably a twin turbo setup. The more I watch and look at these beautiful pieces of art the more I want one. I’m thinking it is going to take a minimum of 30-40k for an 80’s boat? What do you think I think of I’m patient I should be able to hold out for exactly what I want? I’m willing to do so.

Wheeler

Reaction score
I have yet to ask that question. I know that it's not as fast as his Kurtis flat.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
CRT, I would hold out for exactly what you want,
If you have kids at home it will be more difficult to build one up.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
the 30 to 40K for a clean twin turbo may be about 20K shy... there are deals that do come along but if you are talking big horse power I would be skeptical of deals. Just my opinion and I could be way off. It all comes down to what you want and if you settle you will always have wandering eyes :) I grew up in a Sager Flat and have owned a couple Sangers and still have one. I started my Day Cruiser hunt out with a buddy as we were looking for the Schiada, we ended up agreeing we didn't want to be partners and both ended up with Spectras. I dig my Spectra, but its not going to win any drag races. Pretty basic 1/4" stroke BBC with tunnel ram.

Attachments

• ELSINORE 4-26-19 NOR FIT 2.jpg
    ELSINORE 4-26-19 NOR FIT 2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 399
  • ELSINORE 4-26-19 NOR FIT.jpg
    ELSINORE 4-26-19 NOR FIT.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 355
  • ELSINORE 4-29-19.jpg
    ELSINORE 4-29-19.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 391

78Southwind

Reaction score
hello all,

I have this V-drive Spectra for sale.

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/75-spectra-v-drive-with-a-bad-blown-572.147388/

Last edited:

CRT JR

Reaction score
Blown 21 Rayson....... Ideal fast family ride, and it's for sale! View attachment 772747 View attachment 772748
I’ve seen that Rayson before it’s also beautiful, the video of this boat I’d ailing is what got me started on this whole deal about 8 months ago.

What do you guys think about a 20 foot Schiada run about? I know of one for sale original owner with 100 hours on it. It’s a 1983 with a naturally aspirated big block chevy. The gentleman that owns it says it runs in the high 70’s. It is very clean with an asking price of 35k? I don’t know much about these boats are the 20’s worth less then the 21’s? I actually like everything about the boat but it doesn’t come with a trailer and a turbo setup would be nice. Thoughts?

78Southwind

Reaction score
The spectra is bad ass!!!! May be a little much for me to be honest, I’m going to need something with a back seat. Just curious what is the price tag for that monster?

I am asking $30,000 for it. If you read the thread then you know I purchased it (after Gregs passing) to put it back together and rebuild it better. Just before we got it back together I was hit by a semi-truck and my back is still pretty messed up from the accident. Thus, I really haven't used it much since I have three other slower boats to use. All the engine parts are high dollar and the boat was rigged right to handle the big power. If you have any questions let me know. BTW...it's not that hard to add a back seat if you need one.

Last edited:

milkmoney

Reaction score
Small kids with vdrive. You know your back seat will be very limited in space ...

I love vdrives as much as the next guy.
Glad you want a schiada ...I am bias of them ..lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Small kids with vdrive, LOL
My Kids were 2yrs and 6month when we had our AquaCraft V-drive, I had to LOL
We went to Shasta lake Camping, And For got our play pen for the Kids.
No problem we used the Flatty, LOL
The 6 month old had some wires he pulled from dash, LOL
We had a great time after reinstalling the wires.

CRT JR

Reaction score
I’ve seen that Rayson before it’s also beautiful, the video of this boat I’d ailing is what got me started on this whole deal about 8 months ago.

What do you guys think about a 20 foot Schiada run about? I know of one for sale original owner with 100 hours on it. It’s a 1983 with a naturally aspirated big block chevy. The gentleman that owns it says it runs in the high 70’s. It is very clean with an asking price of 35k? I don’t know much about these boats are the 20’s worth less then the 21’s? I actually like everything about the boat but it doesn’t come with a trailer and a turbo setup would be nice. Thoughts?
Any thoughts on the 20’ Schiada? Seems like 35k with no trailer and mild motor may be top dollar especially if the boat hasn’t been driven much at all over 35 years. It may need some work due to sitting I would think but I may be completely wrong it may need nothing but I’m looking at this with caution trying to keep everything in budget to get on the water with something reliable . Also a trailer I’m sure is not cheap. Would $25k be a fair price for that boat or is that too cheap?

milkmoney

Reaction score
Small kids with vdrive, LOL
My Kids were 2yrs and 6month when we had our AquaCraft V-drive, I had to LOL
We went to Shasta lake Camping, And For got our play pen for the Kids.
No problem we used the Flatty, LOL
The 6 month old had some wires he pulled from dash, LOL
We had a great time after reinstalling the wires.
I was just referring to the room in the back seat is all.

78Southwind

Reaction score

I think they're nice boats but I like low freeboard boats. I think it depends on where you want to run the boat. Parker and Havasu in the summer will kick your ass in the 20 Schiada. @rivergames had a real nice 20 he sold a couple years back for around that price but boat prices have continued to increase over the last few years. I think you will probably be happier with a bigger boat if you are using the boat on a busy lake or river. You might want to check out @djunkie 22 Schiada. Seems like a good deal for a someone with a family. https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/76-schiada-v-drive-for-sale.174519/

Last edited:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I think they're nice boats but I like low freeboard boats. I think it depends on where you want to run the boat. Parker and Havasu in the summer will kick your ass in the 20 Schiada. @rivergames had a real nice 20 he sold a couple year back for around that price but boat prices have continued to increase over the last few years. I think you will probably be happier with a bigger boat if you are using the boat on a busy lake or river. You might want to check out @djunkie 22 Schiada. Seems like a good deal for a someone with a family. https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/76-schiada-v-drive-for-sale.174519/

It’s sold. [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRT JR

Reaction score
It’s sold. [emoji1417]

Sweet boat I have never seen one with the open bow like that. I guess I should keep my eyes peeled for a Schiada 22 day cruiser v- drive as well and maybe stay clear of the 20. This is probably great advice as I will be using the boat at lake Berryessa in Napa Ca mainly and I have seen it choppy at times for sure. Im down for the bigger boat but would like to get 80mph out of what ever boat I get. From what I’ve read it will take a lot of HP to move a 22 Schiada in the 80’s correct?

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Sweet boat I have never seen one with the open bow like that. I guess I should keep my eyes peeled for a Schiada 22 day cruiser v- drive as well and maybe stay clear of the 20. This is probably great advice as I will be using the boat at lake Berryessa in Napa Ca mainly and I have seen it choppy at times for sure. Im down for the bigger boat but would like to get 80mph out of what ever boat I get. From what I’ve read it will take a lot of HP to move a 22 Schiada in the 80’s correct?

Mine was almost there with 660hp. With a good 2 blade prop it might have gotten there.

CRT JR

Reaction score
Mine was almost there with 660hp. With a good 2 blade prop it might have gotten there.

660HP is a real healthy big block I’m sure it was bad ass

milkmoney

Reaction score
21 schiada can handle water ...

CRT JR

Reaction score
Hello everyone wanted to get your opinion on this boat I’m going to look at it tomorrow. He says the hull is very sound with all original gel. The motor is missing the heads and hasnt run in 5 years. He wants like $5500 it has original velvet drive and a 500 Cassel v drive. Original fiberglass tanks
1603934395859.jpeg
1603934420961.jpeg
1603934440240.jpeg
gelhttps://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/cotati-1973-schiada-22-drive/7218718884.html

Wheeler

Reaction score
Hello everyone wanted to get your opinion on this boat I’m going to look at it tomorrow. He says the hull is very sound with all original gel. The motor is missing the heads and hasnt run in 5 years. He wants like $5500 it has original velvet drive and a 500 Cassel v drive. Original fiberglass tanks
View attachment 936829 View attachment 936830 View attachment 936831

Wheeler

Reaction score
So does that mean you think it’s a decent deal?

I was causing the link that you posted to be valid and easier on others to open.

I believe it's over priced.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Thanks I’m not the best with technology

You just needed to separate the "gel" from the "http" and you are welcome.

v
gelhttps://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/cotati-1973-schiada-22-drive/7218718884.html

sintax

Reaction score
Thanks I’m not the best with technology

Obviously we all have very different budgets and ideas about a boat. How handy are you? Can you do glass work / wood work? Basic rigging? That is a big big project.

I know that its a sellers market out there for boat, but I'd be willing to say you're looking at $1500-2000 tops realistically. I'm guessing those bulkheads are shot, check the stringers along the full lenght, if that engine sat without the heads on it its likely all rusted up. Maybe its good for parts, but who knows, someone took the heads off for reason.

Fiberglass tanks are a non-starter, those gotta go.

You'll be into the boat 20-30k before you even turn the key if you're taking it to a shop, if you're an ultimate shade tree mechanic kinda guy and can do everything. You'll be looking at that 12-15k ball park to get her floating.

Last edited:

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
It’s definitely a project if that’s what you’re looking for. I hope you have an appropriate bank account to go with it, it ain’t gonna be cheap. The asking price is very optimistic. 😂

CRT JR

Reaction score
Thanks guys I think I’m gonna pass on this one you may have just save me a ton of headache and money thanks for the quick response

sintax

Reaction score
Thanks guys I think I’m gonna pass on this one you may have just save me a ton of headache and money thanks for the quick response

If youre serious about buying, come up with a REALISITC budget, and post in the v-drive section what your situation is. Post what you're looking for and your area. You'll likely get a few hits.

It sucks because its just not a good time to buy due to the prices right now. We are kinda back to the 2008 era boat inflation prices. If youre not impatient and youre ready when deal pops up you can still score something though. Unless your a hardcore do-it-yourself kinda guy, you're going to come out way ahead buying a turnkey boat. I know its hard to come up with that kind of cash, but its going to save a lot of wasted seasons and dollars over the long run.

CRT JR

Reaction score
Well it took me a while but listened and held out for what I wanted and finally pulled the trigger what do you guys think? 1984 Sanger mini all original. Blown 468. All rigged from Sanger factory back in the day from what I was told. I’m excited

Attachments

• 2F854798-B9D5-4F6C-B55C-D36443445974.jpeg
    2F854798-B9D5-4F6C-B55C-D36443445974.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 988C9FF7-B3B3-40D2-884D-F8F78395FFE7.jpeg
    988C9FF7-B3B3-40D2-884D-F8F78395FFE7.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 189
  • 0F8406BE-684B-4468-A823-C19C6959C8D7.jpeg
    0F8406BE-684B-4468-A823-C19C6959C8D7.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 156
  • A6EC9BAB-C23B-4892-9F34-F5D12038A632.jpeg
    A6EC9BAB-C23B-4892-9F34-F5D12038A632.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 120ABB83-AF12-4F8B-A157-03CE20638ED6.jpeg
    120ABB83-AF12-4F8B-A157-03CE20638ED6.jpeg
    371.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1095.MOV
    4.2 MB

CRT JR

Reaction score
Thank you I feel like it’s very clean. The fact that’s it’s untouched I feel it should stay that way as much as possible to keep it era correct. At least that’s my plan.

oldschool

Reaction score
Nice bubble deck! Did you pick that up in Central Cal?

sintax

Reaction score
Well it took me a while but listened and held out for what I wanted and finally pulled the trigger what do you guys think? 1984 Sanger mini all original. Blown 468. All rigged from Sanger factory back in the day from what I was told. I’m excited

Dude!

I love it!

Post up a similar post in the vdrive section please, we need some traction in there and fresh blood!