WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New to us Cobra 29 Viper SXT - Back in the boating world...

Cuse Alum

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice on financing and insurance RDP'ers.. We now have our new to us boat! Back in the boating world after a 4 year break while living in Indiana. Now located in Phoenix and have 2 Havasu trips booked... Let the fun times begin! Shake out trip this weekend to a local lake. See you on the water! :)
boat.escalade.jpg
boat.2.jpeg
tim.cobra.jpg
interior.jpeg
ass.end.jpeg
overview.jpeg

Cuse Alum

Reaction score
Drives like a V Bottom but gets on plane and rides on top of the water like a Cat! Best of both worlds.... light boat as well for a 29ft. 4000-4400 lbs. Should be a lot of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boataholic

Reaction score
Congrats...Went down and looked at that boat a few weeks back. Love the hydraulic seat bases...& nice engine package.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have always thought those were the coolest freakin boats.. like a giant sticker!

I have always wondered how they ran and why they didn’t sell more of them as well.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Congrats on the boat, I know that one well. Hope it brings you lots of memories!

For those that ask about its ride and performance... I had the opportunity to be in the first one when completed. Ran it at Elsinore for a photo shoot, it was like a train on the tracks. Very little to no bow rise getting on plane as seen with a traditional v hull and on top of the surface like a cat. Very roomy and responsive. As mentioned, really a best of both worlds kinda design. Cobra made a small amount of them and as some of us can remember the timing of the boat market changed years ago I alway felt the boat never really got the credit it deserved. I would say that Advantages Xflight model sorta picked up where Cobra left off with its modified v deck boat.

Again, congrats, enjoy! I am happy seeing this boat carry on [emoji3]

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I have always thought those were the coolest freakin boats.. like a giant sticker!

I have always wondered how they ran and why they didn’t sell more of them as well.

I always felt the boat missed its timing when the market changed. I also felt that customers looking at it were comparing it to a deck boat. The viper keeps its low profile reputation, damn thing just looks fast sitting on trailer. The mid cuddy also was pretty low profile and may not have been appealing to a lot of peeps. But it was a great place for items to be stored and kids taking naps (even some of us bigger kids). I hid underneath during a monsoon once [emoji23]

Cuse Alum

Reaction score

RD... I asked those same questions! They came out in 2006 right before the crash. They basically stopped making them for a few years. When the market came back everyone started building deck boats. They still make them but most people building new boats are looking at 28ft Cats. You are welcome to come out and drive it next time I am in havasu.. I was told the hull was designed by the same guy that designed one of the Eliminator hulls

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
RD... I asked those same questions! They came out in 2006 right before the crash. They basically stopped making them for a few years. When the market came back everyone started building deck boats. They still make them but most people building new boats are looking at 28ft Cats. You are welcome to come out and drive it next time I am in havasu.. I was told the hull was designed by the same guy that designed one of the Eliminator hulls

Ron Ehde, or Thane Temier?

hallett3

Reaction score
Congrats nice ride. What kind of power do you have ? Looks like it has some looking at the drive and scoop.

Cuse Alum

Reaction score
Congrats nice ride. What kind of power do you have ? Looks like it has some looking at the drive and scoop.
Thanks! It has the TCM 620 with a Platinum Teague outdrive.. I have been told it runs low 90's but will know more this weekend. :)

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The 29 Viper SXT was one of the last (and perhaps the final) boat that Ron Ehde designed. Ron felt it was the next step beyond the conventional mod-V tunnel (he also designed the first Eliminator 19 Daytona back in the early 70s). Outstanding hull for big single sterndrive horsepower. Very stable and turns like a slot-car.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
The 29 Viper SXT was one of the last (and perhaps the final) boat that Ron Ehde designed. Ron felt it was the next step beyond the conventional mod-V tunnel (he also designed the first Eliminator 19 Daytona back in the early 70s). Outstanding hull for big single sterndrive horsepower. Very stable and turns like a slot-car.

That first day on the water with that model was so exciting. Seeing Ron in the boat was pretty cool with you overhead. If I remember correctly, Ron shortly after built the plug for the 320 Razor also.