WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Trailer Build for Hallett 240

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
The lighting is weird but here are some pics of pinstriping on the trailer. Striping done by Willis Dormer.

IMG_5967.jpg

IMG_5968.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
That's a great looking combination! I love the way everything turned out and I love the attention to detail. You have definitely raised the bar and are making it hard for the rest of us! :D

Pinstripe looks super sweet!

Nicely done!

tkrrox

Reaction score
You know what ski pole that is? I want one for mine.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
You know what ski pole that is? I want one for mine.

Brummett made it from an old drive shaft. Works great for getting people "up" out of the water.

Side note: I was looking at your trailer again yesterday and my old one would be an upgrade certainly, still low in the tail but my Ellis is very clean and rust free (as rust free as a trailer can be:D) Let me know if you want to check it out. I'm not sure where you're located but I'm picking it up in Chatsworth today and bringing to store in Fullerton. Let me know.

gravels

Reaction score
Brummett made it from an old drive shaft. Works great for getting people "up" out of the water.

Side note: I was looking at your trailer again yesterday and my old one would be an upgrade certainly, still low in the tail but my Ellis is very clean and rust free (as rust free as a trailer can be:D) Let me know if you want to check it out. I'm not sure where you're located but I'm picking it up in Chatsworth today and bringing to store in Fullerton. Let me know.

Looking to buy a v drive trailer if you have one for sale ?

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Your setup is clean. The trailer turned out great. Looks awesome going down the road.
View attachment 492775

Thanks Kevn. You know you could have said Hi at the Antonio light! I live right there off Morning Trail. After you pulled away the Hallett sticker was a hint but then I saw your plate and swore I had seen that as a screen name before. Thanks for the compliments. Now I just need a turbo diesel like yours to pull it with. :D

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Thanks Kevn. You know you could have said Hi at the Antonio light! I live right there off Morning Trail. After you pulled away the Hallett sticker was a hint but then I saw your plate and swore I had seen that as a screen name before. Thanks for the compliments. Now I just need a turbo diesel like yours to pull it with. :D

I thought about it but wasn't sure how much time we had before it turned green and then we never stopped again where I could. Next time I see you at a light I will. I live out in Wagon Wheel. Your rig seemed to pull it fine but I am sure on the longer hills it would be nicer to have the duramax. I know I am with mine back there.

Backlash

Reaction score
It sure looks good on the road even with the cover on! ;)

Beautiful package!

Henry

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I thought about it but wasn't sure how much time we had before it turned green and then we never stopped again where I could. Next time I see you at a light I will. I live out in Wagon Wheel. Your rig seemed to pull it fine but I am sure on the longer hills it would be nicer to have the duramax. I know I am with mine back there.

I ordered the truck with the 6.2L Gas. It is a beast for towing. My biggest problem is the suspension, I added bags to the rear and it sits fine but there is still a lot of bounce going down the road. What I really need is a 3/4 Ton but with only 65k miles on my 14' 1500 I think I'll be waiting awhile. FORTUNATELY, I just use the 1500 around town, the tow vehicle to the lake is a 15' Denali Yukon XL and that tows the boat like a dream, don't even know it's back there. 75mph oops I mean 55mph ;) up cajon pass this last weekend with 80 Gal of gas in the boat and all the gear and wife and 4 kids. Maybe I should just take my wifes car EVERYtime I need to tow, yeah right like she'll let that happen!!!:D:D:D

See ya around Kevn, love to see your boat sometime, but knowing OC garages it's likely stored elsewhere.:)

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I ordered the truck with the 6.2L Gas. It is a beast for towing. My biggest problem is the suspension, I added bags to the rear and it sits fine but there is still a lot of bounce going down the road. What I really need is a 3/4 Ton but with only 65k miles on my 14' 1500 I think I'll be waiting awhile. FORTUNATELY, I just use the 1500 around town, the tow vehicle to the lake is a 15' Denali Yukon XL and that tows the boat like a dream, don't even know it's back there. 75mph oops I mean 55mph ;) up cajon pass this last weekend with 80 Gal of gas in the boat and all the gear and wife and 4 kids. Maybe I should just take my wifes car EVERYtime I need to tow, yeah right like she'll let that happen!!!:D:D:D

See ya around Kevn, love to see your boat sometime, but knowing OC garages it's likely stored elsewhere.:)

Sounds like some aftermarket rear shocks would be great for you...should be a cheap solution.

Backlash

Reaction score
Something else to consider for your tow truck.... Upgrading your rear leaf springs. If you are serious about improving the ride and the way the vehicle responds when loaded, I would suggest getting in touch with the guys at Deaver Springs in Santa Ana. They can build you a leaf pack that works how its supposed to and will outperform the factory leaf springs you currently have.

My set on the Toyota aren't called "Link Killers" for nothing. :D

kevnmcd

Reaction score

I had the same bouncing in mine (2500 HD) and solved it with about a 250lb steel plate in the bed. Rides much better and I don't even know it's there. I need the duramax as mine is about 11k on the trailer but I can still hold about 60/65 up Cajun without too much effort. Love the torque and power of it.

You are right about my garage here. Not even long enough for my truck by about 4 inches! But funny you mention wanting to see it. It is actually sitting in my driveway right now until Friday when I take it back out to our Havasu house. Brought it home last week to redo the stereo so it is here if you want to come by and see it. Just let me know.

Singleton

Reaction score
I had the same bouncing in mine (2500 HD) and solved it with about a 250lb steel plate in the bed. Rides much better and I don't even know it's there. I need the duramax as mine is about 11k on the trailer but I can still hold about 60/65 up Cajun without too much effort. Love the torque and power of it.

You are right about my garage here. Not even long enough for my truck by about 4 inches! But funny you mention wanting to see it. It is actually sitting in my driveway right now until Friday when I take it back out to our Havasu house. Brought it home last week to redo the stereo so it is here if you want to come by and see it. Just let me know.

Same type of rough ride. Solve mine by adding 2 75lbs of sand in the bed. Take them out when not needed

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Same type of rough ride. Solve mine by adding 2 75lbs of sand in the bed. Take them out when not needed

At first I had a full 4x8 sheet of 1/2" in there. A friend is a steel broker and had an extra piece. That was too much and brought my mpg down too much so another welder friend cut it in half for me and it is perfect now. No bouncing for the most part anymore. The sand is a good idea too.

tkrrox

Reaction score

Dang it i was trying to get out there but i have been swamped with work and summer vacations...I'm in castaic...do me a favor and send me pics to 3106789250
Mine is worn. but the part i hate is front where the bow sits...i feel it is too high and either i'm so deep to hit it that i never touch the bunks or i go shallow and ride the bunk but then the bow is actually below the rest...

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Dang it i was trying to get out there but i have been swamped with work and summer vacations...I'm in castaic...do me a favor and send me pics to 3106789250
Mine is worn. but the part i hate is front where the bow sits...i feel it is too high and either i'm so deep to hit it that i never touch the bunks or i go shallow and ride the bunk but then the bow is actually below the rest...

sorry, trailer is gone. sold it to a guy up north. he was first one interested and first one to pony up cash.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Something else to consider for your tow truck.... Upgrading your rear leaf springs. If you are serious about improving the ride and the way the vehicle responds when loaded, I would suggest getting in touch with the guys at Deaver Springs in Santa Ana. They can build you a leaf pack that works how its supposed to and will outperform the factory leaf springs you currently have.

My set on the Toyota aren't called "Link Killers" for nothing. :D

Yeah a buddy of mine told me about those guys. Since I have air bags already I may try the cheaper sand/weight add or upgrade shocks options first. Thanks for the tip though.

I'll PM you. I'll be in WW Thursday night with my son, may work out.

I'll try it, thanks.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Did you ever get some good pics of it all completed? There's a kind of haze in all the pics before the pinstriping pics when it was done..

Did you machine those plates manually? Or have a buddy with a CNC? Did Bear do those? Or did you have them done?

Really enjoyed reading the thread start to finish!

RD

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get some good pics of it all completed? There's a kind of haze in all the pics before the pinstriping pics when it was done..

Did you machine those plates manually? Or have a buddy with a CNC? Did Bear do those? Or did you have them done?

Really enjoyed reading the thread start to finish!

RD

No good pics yet. Have a buddy that could shoot some, I'll try to post up next week.

A guy I know CNC'd the plates. Went to a local shop that quoted $3k including material. Got them done for $800 including material sans polishing and clear coat.

Glad you enjoyed it, first thread so I tried to do it right (lot's of pics).

Chopperman

Reaction score
Just checked out this thread. Trailer turned out bitchin!! Bad ass 240 as well!!

Runs2rch

Reaction score
So what did this end up costing? Looking into options on our trailer. Thanks!

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
So what did this end up costing? Looking into options on our trailer. Thanks!

Fair question but I'm not sure about posting publicly. What is your guesstimate? Seriously, what would you think it would cost?

I'll PM you some info.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Fair question but I'm not sure about posting publicly. What is your guesstimate? Seriously, what would you think it would cost?

I'll PM you some info.

I am hoping it would be in the 5-7k range. But I think it is in the 10-12 range. That would be great! Thank you.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I am hoping it would be in the 5-7k range. But I think it is in the 10-12 range. That would be great! Thank you.

If $12K is your high estimate then I'll just say, it's over that.

A lot of custom trailers go for $20k or more when you have a boat 24' or bigger and when you have electric over hydraulic disc brakes. I would say those two things are the biggest factors in the price being higher than your estimate.

I got quotes for a basic new triple axle for $8k plus, without all the adds I wanted......

Runs2rch

Reaction score

A lot of custom trailers go for $20k or more when you have a boat 24' or bigger and when you have electric over hydraulic disc brakes. I would say those two things are the biggest factors in the price being higher than your estimate.

I got quotes for a basic new triple axle for $8k plus, without all the adds I wanted......

It is nice for sure. Well worth every penny. We tow back and forth to Mead and Powell. I know the value of a solid trailer.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
It is nice for sure. Well worth every penny. We tow back and forth to Mead and Powell. I know the value of a solid trailer.

Thank you. I appreciate the compliment.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

Wow I didn't realize the cost of custom steel trailers was getting so high. I guess the quotes I've gotten for custom aluminum trailers is actually a bargain...

Super nice build! You don't see custom stuff like this on the east coast...

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Still very happy with this trailer. Another plug here for the great guys at Bear Trailersports. I have a few add-ons coming soon to the trailer and look forward to working with them again.

I also want to do a full review with pics of the Hallett 240 and the great boat it has been for our family. I guess I'll post that in the "Boat Reviews" forum?

More to come soon. Glad to be boating again and sharing good times with family, friends and sometimes sharing with all of you. Cheers to the boating community and friends!:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup