WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New X3 Max RR registration

PlanB

Reaction score
I am reading on another forum that the RR's are coming it at 1800 pounds (the 19 R's are 1780#) , and can't be registered the same as a typical UTV. Supposedly you have to register them as a primarly on road vehicle, which means you have to pay registration the same as a new car. One person said their RR was $600.00 to register. Anyone have any info on this? Getting ready to get a plate for the new Max at the MVD in Havasu.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
In Arizona Mine was $600 for the year a few months back. That's big bank for the state. Probably more SxS's per capita in AZ than any other state.
Their is a route to avoid this and get it registered some what cheaper but it requires leg work and time and since I didn't want to do that I don't remember.
I was getting stopped constantly and told to get it plated or get ticketed so we went the full route. Years LEOS didn't bother now it's begining to change.
Ask the finance / (DMV) (AZDOT) person at your dealer and they should be able to explain it to you.

Ricky at Adrenalin Can Am (not Adrenalin performance) in Casa Grande is full of knowledge and assistance.
AZDOT introduced new computers that are having worlds of problems and the COVID shut down complicates AZDOT customer service even further.

Not sure if you can go in in person. Couldn't when we registered a couple months back it was all by mail.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
^^^ On the other forum they are saying AZ Game & Fish has a limit of 2500 pounds for an OHV, but the MVD's weight is different at 1800 pounds. Supposedly if you get a primarily off road registration you can only legally drive on the roads to get fuel. On the side x side we have registered out there now we have an MC plate with an OHV sticker. I guess the 1800 pounds of the RR is causing issues at the MVD, and they are making people pay for regular on-road vehicle fees.

Edit: I was replying to the post by 185EZ.

PlanB

Reaction score
In Arizona Mine was $600 for the year a few months back. That's big bank for the state. Probably more SxS's per capita in AZ than any other state.
Their is a route to avoid this and get it registered some what cheaper but it requires leg work and time and since I didn't want to do that I don't remember.
I was getting stopped constantly and told to get it plated or get ticketed so we went the full route. Years LEOS didn't bother now it's begining to change.
Ask the finance / (DMV) (AZDOT) person at your dealer and they should be able to explain it to you.

Ricky at Adrenalin Can Am (not Adrenalin performance) in Casa Grande is a world of knowledge and assistance.
AZDOT introduced new computers that are having worlds of problems and the COVID shut down complicates AZDOT customer service even further.

Not sure if you can go in in person. Couldn't when we registered a couple months back it was all by mail.

Okay, this is what I read on the other forum. We are going to try and call tomorrow and see what the MVD says. If I have to pay the 600 bucks to be legal, I am okay with that. I just don't want to register it incorrectly. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Okay, this is what I read on the other forum. We are going to try and call tomorrow and see what the MVD says. If I have to pay the 600 bucks to be legal, I am okay with that. I just don't want to register it incorrectly. Thanks for the info.
I love being street legal in Az. It's fun blasting around in the X3.
Progressive insurance is $730 total for our 2 X3's. That's $365 each and that's pretty good.
Utah is cool with Az registration too.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Not sure where TPC is getting stopped constantly but I've never been stopped in 5000 miles of street riding
At least i've never heard of any issues in Lake Havasu or Williams AZ
There isn't any ARS statute that says I can't legally drive on a road with primarily off road registration
Look it up. It’s changed for 2020 what I was told. I'm going by what the dealer told us.
74AB3ABE-C233-40BC-A70C-9826AC557414.jpeg

Like I said I never got stopped [in 1000's of miles of street riding] either but now we are.
Cottonwood & Quartzite and Duck Creek Utah in one 10 day trip most recently.
Not ticketed but told to you have to be plated & I had my AZDOT street legal registration so they let us go. No plate yet but I have it now.

Haven't been stopped in LHC nor Williams,,, yet. That all may change @ $600 a pop.
Wife corrected me, it was Clarkdale police that stopped us, not Cottonwood.
We recently read in one of the Off Road forums Wickenberg is cracking down on everyone.

I'd never advise anyone to roll without insurance and proper registration.
Progressive considers it an MC. Good to go.
Yeah, it all sux.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
It's been changed
2500#
Also depends on how you want to register it
Primarily on road you will pay the regular VLT, vehicle license tax, depending on the msrp of your ride
Primarily off road is the $4.50 registration plus the OHV sticker of $25
I think this is the last year for the public safety fee of $5
you still need proof of insurance no matter which you choose

The form has a box for 1801-2500 pounds. The new RR weighs 1858. The 2019 R is 1780 pounds. I think that is where the questions about proper registration are coming from.

PlanB

Reaction score
Look it up. It’s changed for 2020 what I was told. View attachment 898221

Like I said I never got stopped [in 1000's of miles of street riding] either but now we are.
Cottonwood & Quartzite and Duck Creek in one 10 day trip most recently.
Not ticketed but told to you have to be plated & I had my AZDOT registration. No plate yet.

Haven't been stopped in LHC nor Williams,,, yet. That all may change.
I digress.

Different plate that what we have now. We have an MC plate with an OHV sticker on it.

PlanB

Reaction score
Here's more info on the 2500# limit
[/URL]
TPC are you plated at all? Or just the RV plate?
I don't care if I have to get the regular street legal plate. But you're the first to hear of problems.
Surprised at your insurance but mine isn't turbo. Progressive full coverage, $69/year
Here's more info on the 2500# limit
[/URL]
TPC are you plated at all? Or just the RV plate?
I don't care if I have to get the regular street legal plate. But you're the first to hear of problems.
Surprised at your insurance but mine isn't turbo. Progressive full coverage, $69/year

Link does not work.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
FYI to all - the RV plate like what @TPC had is a no go in CA. They can fine you, as CA does not recognize it as OHV registration.

For your AZ reg to be valid in CA you need the MC plate with the AZ OHV sticker.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I found this link from state parks that mentions the 1800 pounds and the OHV sticker.

The 1800# rating thing is old. All that info is valid but the weight limit has been raised to #2500 for an OHV sticker.

Notice how quick the regulations changed when these SXS got heavy enough to create a loophole and loss of revenue...

PlanB

Reaction score
FYI to all - the RV plate like what @TPC had is a no go in CA. They can fine you, as CA does not recognize it as OHV registration.

For your AZ reg to be valid in CA you need the MC plate with the AZ OHV sticker.

I paid the 52 bucks for the California off highway sticker when I bought it from the dealer. Good for two years, and they could not figure out how to process the sale without adding it into the registration.

PlanB

Reaction score
The 1800# rating thing is old. All that info is valid but the weight limit has been raised to #2500 for an OHV sticker.

Notice how quick the regulations changed when these SXS got heavy enough to create a loophole and loss of revenue...

That would be great. Getting conflicting information from the X3 forum, but I hope you are correct.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I paid the 52 bucks for the California off highway sticker when I bought it from the dealer. Good for two years, and they could not figure out how to process the sale without adding it into the registration.

Ahh, you are cool then. As of this moment, if you keep an AZ MC plate and OHV sticker, you do no need to renew the green CA sticker... unless they change the laws.

PayDayClub

Reaction score
Just registered mine last week. Off road and on road to the desert. 10.05 for on road 25 off road. Renewal stated 260+ but called and said we use ours to get to the off road. Hope this helps

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That would be great. Getting conflicting information from the X3 forum, but I hope you are correct.

Well, the MVD in Havasu knows how to do it... they register thousands of them.

They are going to scare you into getting the “full” street registration. I keep hearing there is a crack down, and I know the ticket is expensive. I went with the full street reg myself just to not deal with it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Just registered mine last week. Off road and on road to the desert. 10.05 for on road 25 off road. Renewal stated 260+ but called and said we use ours to get to the off road. Hope this helps

You can do it this way, but supposedly it is a ticket if you are toodling around town getting ice cream or going to breakfast. I don’t know anyone that has been hit with it yet, and I have heard a few people get “warnings”.

Do you have road insurance on yours?

PlanB

Reaction score

They are going to scare you into getting the “full” street registration. I keep hearing there is a crack down, and I know the ticket is expensive. I went with the full street reg myself just to not deal with it.

Still a MC sized plate, or a car sized plate?

PayDayClub

Reaction score
You can do it this way, but supposedly it is a ticket if you are toodling around town getting ice cream or going to breakfast. I don’t know anyone that has been hit with it yet, and I have heard a few people get “warnings”.

Do you have road insurance on yours?

riverroyal

Reaction score
my 3 seater is under 1800 lbs. Doesn't matter, pay the 600. As other have said it keeps you off the radar having the full street plate.
I can drive down the 95 without being stressed.

jones performance

Reaction score
the confusion people have is nuts on registration. it is all broken down by weights.

for an offroad only registration (small RV plate) it has to be less than 2500lbs

for a limited street use registration and the small mc plate it has to be less than 2500lbs
HOWEVER...
if it weighs more than 1800lbs but under 2500lbs the fees for the street legal portion are much higher.

if it weighs over 2500lbs you pay for and get the full size street plate and you cannot get the ohv sticker.

also if you want any type of street registration you have to meet insurance requirements as well

PlanB

Reaction score
the confusion people have is nuts on registration. it is all broken down by weights.

for an offroad only registration (small RV plate) it has to be less than 2500lbs

for a limited street use registration and the small mc plate it has to be less than 2500lbs
HOWEVER...
if it weighs more than 1800lbs but under 2500lbs the fees for the street legal portion are much higher.

if it weighs over 2500lbs you pay for and get the full size street plate and you cannot get the ohv sticker.

also if you want any type of street registration you have to meet insurance requirements as well

Makes sense but on the Arizona website it says vehicles over 1800 pounds are not eligible for an OHV sticker. Some are saying that has changed to 2500 pounds, but their website still says 1800 for the MC / OHV. We already have insurance so I guess I will find out what plate I get when we actually register it. I am assuming when they enter the VIN it might trigger the weight issue, or maybe not?

PlanB

Reaction score
You're pulling up old information.
I gave you the new information but you still want to believe the old information.
Maybe it changed for 2020 but I'm not going to look it up. I could care less
.If it is the same they don't just give you a plate of their choice. You have 3 choices and it's your decision.
You'll also sign a waiver stating you have the proper street legal equipment.
I just renewed my registration today through 2021 for $10.05 so nothing has changed for me in 2020.
I have primarily off road and ride anywhere even hwy 95. Not sure how they would check to see if you have a certain registration. Just decide to ask you to pull over? Then what? What would the citation be for? Does the law say i can't stop for ice cream?
A lot of hear say and misinformation out there.
Been registering mine same way for over 5 years. If I do get a ticket I'm still money way ahead.

I have had a side x side registered out there since 2009. I have been through the process before and have signed the waiver. I know what you are talking about. The problem seems to be the new 20 X3 RR Max's weighing over 1800 pounds. It may or may not be an issue. Some guys on the X3 forum have had issues in AZ trying to register them the old way with the MC / OHV plate. Not saying I don't believe you, just stating what I have read, not only on another forum but also on AZ's own website. I appreciate the info though. Thank you.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It’s better to register them for primary road use.. if you get stopped anywhere in town and you aren’t just crossing the street you are going to pay $$$ and then pay for the registration anyways.. lol

Even my kids 150 has on road registration

jones performance

Reaction score
Makes sense but on the Arizona website it says vehicles over 1800 pounds are not eligible for an OHV sticker. Some are saying that has changed to 2500 pounds, but their website still says 1800 for the MC / OHV. We already have insurance so I guess I will find out what plate I get when we actually register it. I am assuming when they enter the VIN it might trigger the weight issue, or maybe not?
i dont see that on adots site
registrationaz.jpg

PlanB

Reaction score
i dont see that on adots site View attachment 898567

The requirement to purchase an OHV Decal only applies to OHVs meeting both of the following criteria:

• An OHV designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain.
  • An OHV with an unladen weight of eighteen hundred pounds or less.
  • Pickup trucks, SUVs, cars and other recreational vehicles are not required (and will not be able) to obtain an OHV decal. All other regulations apply.
It seems that the ADOT site and the State Parks site are contradictory.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I paid $440 for primary on road. Got plate today exactly two weeks after doing it through quick stop.
In and out in 20 minutes. Quick stop said Havasu PD is going after utv’s parked outside bars. Their words, not mine.
She had my 19’ listed as 1849 lbs. in computer.
Money well spent as less hassle, no sales tax when I sell, and next owner can drive it on the

Reactions: DWC

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
What are they going after if you're parked outside a bar?
There's nothing in ARS that says if you're primarily off road that you can't be parked at a bar
How do they know if you just drove 100 miles off road and then 1 mile on road?

LowRiver2

Reaction score
There's nothing in ARS that says if you're primarily off road that you can't be parked at a bar
I’m passing on what was said.
Reasonable suspicion leading into probable cause isn’t too hard to frame a DUI case.
I can remember some high profile DUI crashes involving sxs’s there, the LHFD one comes to mind.
DUI Enforcement is usually reactive from prior fatalities. It is what it is.
Again, what was passed on.

77charger

Reaction score
Look and identify the utv. Then say later hey saw him at the bar oh does his tag look like ohv?? Let’s stop and get a better look 😱🤔

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I can't imagine LHPD spending that much time tracking a SXS. Might as well focus on all the other cars parked there too.
I was refering to primarily off road and primarily on road. Thought that what lowriver2 meant
I've been primarily off road for over 7 years and don't have DOT tires either
Not sure what the ticket would be written up for if they pulled me over at the ice cream store
I'm registered legal and insured. $10.50 / year
I'll gladly pay any fine they can think of since I'll still be thousands ahead

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I can't imagine LHPD spending that much time tracking a SXS. Might as well focus on all the other cars parked there too.
I was refering to primarily off road and primarily on road. Thought that what lowriver2 meant
Not sure what the ticket would be written up for if they pulled me over at the ice cream store

My integrity to do the right thing is priceless (and more $ at times), DOT tires here and play by the rules, since that's what I signed up to do.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

That is my usual line of thinking. It is not a moral argument, you are taking a small risk, and are willing to pay for it if caught. Nothing wrong with that.

Patyacht

Reaction score
When u license a Side By Side in AZ you either license it as Street legal and pay the higher licensing or non street legal and go the cheaper route and break the law when you do your street driving other than going directly to the trail head.. Besides the States that allow you to ride the streets by being Street legal (Like AZ and UT) many of the Federal and State run parks/areas require you to be street legal also. Examples are US Fish and Wildlife managed areas such as the KOFA and the National Park Service areas and the 6 US Forest Service Areas in AZ also require you to be Street legal. Ditto for Utah. Just pony up, do the right thing to stop adding to all the negativity surrounding Side By Sides. Besides what will your insurance do when you have that accident/issue in an area requiring you to be street legal and you aren't. You just gave them the excuse/reason to say sorry not covered! JMHO!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The whole ohv sticker deal has been screwed up since it started being processed by mvd even though it's a g&f product.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

If you have full street registration this means you can use them in national park areas on the roads and trails, as they are considered the exact same as driving your car/truck out there. Doesn't matter what state you are in as the parks are federal.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading it wrong. There's no risk and i'm not breaking the law. I don't see anywhere that it says i have to go straight to a trail head.
It doesn't say it on the form either.
If i register as primarily off road then that's where the majority of my riding is done.
Then I ride on the hwy.
If i ride 100 miles during the day and 75 miles is off road and 25 miles is on road then I am primarily off road.
How are they going to determine how many miles I've ridden either way? They can't.
What would the ticket be written for if they did?

I don’t know anyone that has been hit with the ticket, but I keep hearing about them from the MVD tax collectors and local lore. I am certainly with you there on that rationale. I have no idea what AZ specific vehicle law that would be broken, maybe a registration violation?

riverroyal

Reaction score
Lets say you drive your SxS to McCulloch for breakfast or bar hop. You want to on street reg

JRS1939

Reaction score
I think you guys are way over thinking this. I posted a direct link from az mvd encouraging you going the cheaper route.