WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Newbie Potential Boat Owner - Boat evaluation Caliber One

Bedrock

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been thinking of getting a boat and have never owned a powerboat before. My preference is. 21-24 open that could accommodate have 8-10 people for tubing, wake boarding, cruising in rivers and lakes. I want to find a reliable turn key type boat as I am not mechanical. I have a budget of $20k. The only boat I had heard a lot of good things about years ago was Ultra, I don't know much about the other makes. I came across this ad and wanted to get opinions from experienced boat owners here. I appreciate your candid feedback. Things I like about this boat is price, size, layout, color scheme & age.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• C9B6E211-D9F6-4756-A789-EACB42110C0F.jpeg
    C9B6E211-D9F6-4756-A789-EACB42110C0F.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 154
Reaction score
nice looking boat. MERCURY inboard with a VOLVO outdrive ??? but then again I/O's not my thing.

Bedrock

Reaction score
I really don’t know much about the different setups. Sounds like it is non-standard?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Caliber 1 built good boats, particularly the earlier versions when Cliff Loetz was in charge. By 2005 Cliff may not have been the owner.

fmo24

Reaction score
I really don’t know much about the different setups. Sounds like it is non-standard?
If it actually a Mercury motor than yes non-standard. Could just be an owner using buzz words incorrectly

dribble

Reaction score
This boat and the similar ones were built by Caliber 1 for a retailer who then sold them under a different name, so they were not built to a particular owner's specification. They all have the same graphics and the tooling which I believe was originally from Ultra. They were done between 2004 and about 2008. They sold in the 30-35K range. I don't believe that any of those were built with big Blocks and I'm pretty sure you won't find a Merc engine with a Volvo Outdrive under that hatch. They were not originally marketed as Caliber 1 boats but the name they were sold under escapes me. Hence the reason why there is no Caliber 1 badging. At the time they were being built, the owner of Caliber 1 was a guy named Hussein or something like that. I asked him if those were actually his boats and he said that they were. He bought the company from Cliff around 2004 and then sold it to the current ownership. A Caliber 1 will have a HIN number that begins with EKR. For the money or a couple of more bucks you could probably get a 230 Velocity in that age range. Bottom line is that it's a clean boat and if you're interested, I would have the guy send you pics of the engine.

Last edited:

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
If that is the actual set up, non standard seems correct. I personally wanted a 230 velocity caliber 1 with a 496 in it. Unfortunately, the one I found sold before I got there. I have been happy with my Ultra, it has been a good boat. Eliminator is another I would look at. There was a 23 eagle up a few weeks ago. I think he was asking 26. Looked clean.

4Waters

Reaction score
That is a Caliber Magnum. A lot of manufacturers used that hull most notably Ultra, it's a nice and fairly fast hull. I almost bought one but I was laid off the week before I pulled the trigger, I now own a Caliber 1 210 Magnum (rumor has it, it was Cliffs boat). To go back to your question that's a good boat it probably doesn't have a mercruiser engine, it's probably a volvo which is perfectly fine, the biggest difference is the color of the engine, red instead of black. Go for it.👍

Riverryder

Reaction score
That guy must have just bought that thing and is trying to flip it. There was a ad with the same pictures and more info. And it was listed for 12k cause it needs interior unless he saw the price gouging everyone is doing and reposted it.

That boat has a Volvo motor not a mercruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
That hull was used by a few boat brands, as mentioned before, caliber 1, warlock, Galaxie and even omega had the model. Depending on who's name brand they chose to put on the side dictated what motor and drive. The mercruiser boars were the carbed 350 and alpha set up, the boats that were rigged with Volvo were the carbed 350 and sx drive.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
At one time Caliber 1 offered a 206 Skier and a Magnum. 206 stood for 20ft 6in, the length of the boat. The Skier driver and passenger were set more forward than the Magnum version. That was just the deck part. Each had the same hull. At some point the 210 version came along. Does anyone know, did they actually lengthen the hull and deck part by 6", or did they just change the number 206 to 210?

4Waters

Reaction score
At one time Caliber 1 offered a 206 Skier and a Magnum. 206 stood for 20ft 6in, the length of the boat. The Skier driver and passenger were set more forward than the Magnum version. That was just the deck part. Each had the same hull. At some point the 210 version came along. Does anyone know, did they actually lengthen the hull and deck part by 6", or did they just change the number 206 to 210?
The 210 is longer, if I remember correctly mine was 21'1" but it's a completely different hull. It has an integrated swimstep and the bottom is something like 19', Caliber 1 just stretched it 2' and made the Velocity.

This is my boat.
DSC02221.jpeg

This is a inmates former boat.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Pic's for swimstep reference.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I have ridden in a few 21's, they were early 2000's, seemed like a decent handling boat? The one I rode in had a Mercruiser 454 and a Bravo1, think it was a 209 Skier? Ran mid 50's/maybe 60 with 4 adults and ski's/wakeboards on it.

If you plan on carrying 8-10 people on a 23' with a smallblock you probably should go with a toon or deck boat, it will be a pig IMO.

dribble

Reaction score
The 210 is longer, if I remember correctly mine was 21'1" but it's a completely different hull. It has an integrated swimstep and the bottom is something like 19', Caliber 1 just stretched it 2' and made the Velocity.

This is my boat.
View attachment 880745

View attachment 880746

Actually the 230 Velocity came out in 2000. They shortened it 2’ and made the 210 Magnum several years later.

Lars_The_Swedish_Viking

Reaction score
I find this to be very pricey for what it. My guess is that this is a trade or a storage lien sale by the Camacho family of car biz fame in Antelope Valley. Boat probably sat for a few seasons. There will be plenty of opportunities a bit further into this season to buy a better powered, suitable for your needs, quality brand boat. If you got $20k cash, the right '$30k boat' will come your way pretty soon. These are not normal times and cash will be king, like in 2008/2009.

Cell number in ad is for Joe Camacho:
https://nuwber.com/person/563a42e07686b0176b8c87da

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

This is my boat.
View attachment 880745

View attachment 880746

The one on the bottom is my old boat. Don’t buy my old boat - You’ve been warned. The Bimini is awesome (after I fixed it) but don’t let that entice you.

Was the boat that the OP referenced not the Caliber 1 Outlaw? I’ve heard it referenced and listed as that as well. It is a completely different hull.
And yes the “Outlaw” is the same hull as the older Ultra 21 and also the Shockwave 21, Aftershock 21 possibly too. It was used for several different boats.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I know we've chatted, I didn't want to put that out there.

In all honesty it’s probably fine. One of the best in the business fixed it, but in case it still isn’t fixed....just don’t :)

I will say the 210 Magnum has a TON of interior space for a boat it’s size, and the swim step is really nice. The ride is ok considering it is a 19’ boat basically.

4Waters

Reaction score
In all honesty it’s probably fine. One of the best in the business fixed it, but in case it still isn’t fixed....just don’t :)

I will say the 210 Magnum has a TON of interior space for a boat it’s size, and the swim step is really nice. The ride is ok considering it is a 19’ boat basically.
It does ride pretty good and it's pretty fast due to it being a 19' boat

Bedrock

Reaction score
Really nice looking boat, love the colors.

This is my boat.
View attachment 880745

View attachment 880746

gqchris

Reaction score
This looks promising for the money. Been for sale for 2 months at least and asking price dropped $2k. Vegas these days, maybe a buy in the upper teen$ ?
A full survey by a good shop needed before purchase, but the boat shows pride of ownership imho.
https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/d/las-vegas-1995-eliminator-eagle-250xp/7099277883.html

View attachment 880886

I think I sold this boat back in the day on Consignment thru LBYS. It was solid back then but this was 13+ years ago. It was used often by that new owner. So definitely get it checked out!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
What type of truck would I need to haul it? Any guesstimate on weight with trailer?

no idea. The owner might know. I have a buddy who pulls a 28foot bayliner ocean cruiser with a ford ranger so i think youll be fine...

If i had to guess i would say its probably right around 7k. The owner might know the exact number or someone who owns a 26 sleek on here might be able to comment too.