WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Newest Aussie Ski Race Boat!

R

Retired Member

I figured RD gets hard ons over threads like these. This boat pulled in the Robinvale race lat weekend and was clocked at 124mph pulling 2 skiers.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 882
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 1,353
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 881
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,346
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 896
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 892

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That thing is SIIICKKKK!!!

I got questions.. Lots of questions. :D

# 1, What's the 2nd handle for on the drivers side? Ballast tank maybe? I'm assuming the push switches on the left foot are for trim?

Switches on the dash? (ingition, fuel? Bildge?)

Any transom shots? I'm curious if they are running tabs, if so parrallel to the water, or to the transom? Outdrive?

And the most obvious of questions.. Any more pics of the motor? I'm looking at the compression side of the turbo's, and following the intake tract. It looks to enter the inner cooler from the backside, and then down through a sheet metal collector, to a intake manifold.. I can't really figure out what that rather large phalic looking tube downwards goes too, but the only thing I can think of is possibly a blow off valve of some sort? Looks to have a throttle linkage attached to it though which is kinda blowing my theory out of the water? More pics of the motor please.

What's the story on that relatively unusual looking setup? Plus of course HP #'s.. ;)

RD

R

Retired Member

That thing is SIIICKKKK!!!

I got questions.. Lots of questions. :D

# 1, What's the 2nd handle for on the drivers side? Ballast tank maybe? I'm assuming the push switches on the left foot are for trim?

Switches on the dash? (ingition, fuel? Bildge?)

Any transom shots? I'm curious if they are running tabs, if so parrallel to the water, or to the transom? Outdrive?

And the most obvious of questions.. Any more pics of the motor? I'm looking at the compression side of the turbo's, and following the intake tract. It looks to enter the inner cooler from the backside, and then down through a sheet metal collector, to a intake manifold.. I can't really figure out what that rather large phalic looking tube downwards goes too, but the only thing I can think of is possibly a blow off valve of some sort? Looks to have a throttle linkage attached to it though which is kinda blowing my theory out of the water? More pics of the motor please.

What's the story on that relatively unusual looking setup? Plus of course HP #'s.. ;)

RD

Geeezus, RD. Don't you think If I recieved any other pictures I would have posted them? :smackhead Actually, I am 99% sure they are running a 6 drive. I don't believe it has tabs on it. Most of the bottoms in Australia have had more "dialing in" then the boats in the states, so they work better. I also was wondering what the "phalic looking tube" is? I came up with it having to do with the water for the intercooler as it goes down to the thermostat area on the black. I'm not positive, and have an email in to the person who sent me the pictures.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
All of the Force boats that I have seen have tabs on the outdrive boats. Dennis is correct it does have a 6 drive on it.

Dave the lever is the fill for the balast tank, the tabs and or drive are usually controlled by foot.

I have never seen an engine quite like that and for the life of me I can not figure out what that phallis is :D

Sorry I don't have more info on it.

R

Retired Member

And yes, the other shift knob is for the balast tank. Pushing the handle forward lowers a pickup on the transom of the boat to fill the tank, then goes back to the neutral position. Moving the handle back engages a switch that turns on a pump to empty the tank.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Nice job on the whole program... Looking forward to seeing the answer to the Phalic tube, and the transom pics. :)

RD

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
My guess is that the phalic is the cooled air out of the intercooler heading down into the throttle body (it sure looks like a throttle body to me, the water lines are in and out on the sides, i bet they are filling the intake plenum on that fabricated manifold from underneath, and what is directly between the top of the intake plenum and the bottom of the intercooler is just a large support.

Looks like a motec dashboard, either they are running a motec or autronic ECU

R

Retired Member

My guess is that the phalic is the cooled air out of the intercooler heading down into the throttle body (it sure looks like a throttle body to me, the water lines are in and out on the sides, i bet they are filling the intake plenum on that fabricated manifold from underneath, and what is directly between the top of the intake plenum and the bottom of the intercooler is just a large support.

The more I looked at it, more I started to figure out it was the intake. The back half top of the manifold is covered.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I thought that two, but what would be the point of a highrise intake manifold if you were giong to do it that way? It looks like they built it from scratch out of sheet metal, so why not just run the tubes straight into the heads off the sides of the throttle body / plenum? Why run them way up, and then way back down? Unless their might be some harmonic / tuning benefit to having a longer intake manifold with a side draft intake port? (that's very possible, kinda like a Honda VTEC intake plenum on their DOHC motors)

Or perhaps I'm over analyzing this deal, and they are just feeding it more or less into the heads, and the rest of that intake manifold might just be to hold up the innercooler etc.. and just maintain the "look" of a highrise.. Who knows..

Need more pics.

RD

boatnam2

Reaction score
the intake looks like a hogan to me with a very exspensive and the other deal a stainless support.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The more I looked at it, more I started to figure out it was the intake. The back half top of the manifold is covered.

Looks to be that way.. There is something on the top of that back half of the manifold, that looks to be plumbed into what I'm guessing is the waste gate on the turbo.. ?? Which leads me to believe there might actually be inlet pressure in that cast aluminum (looks kinda like a blimp) deal that's on the back half of the manifold..

Ah who cares.. when the rest of the pics show up, it'll become alot more clear for everyone.

RD

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Damn Dennis, you're gonna make RD blow a sphincter :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
How big is that thing?

There was a Force in Parker over the weekend (outboard).. The boat didn't look overly huge, maybe 21 - 23 feet? The shape of it is certainly decieving though.. (Very menacing looking)

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Unfortunately i didnt' get any "overall" pics of the boat, I was a little smitten by the trailer though.. (Work of art)

I have some running shots of it, but they seemed to be really plowing water (Assuming to make the water smoother for the skier)

rD

Attachments

• P3080319.jpg
    P3080319.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 563
  • P3080320.jpg
    P3080320.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 565
  • P3080321.jpg
    P3080321.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 559
  • P3080322.jpg
    P3080322.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 555

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Couple of running shots of the Force outboard in Parker. They seemed to be running trimmed down most of the time.

RD

Attachments

• P3080114.JPG
    P3080114.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 575
  • P3080067.JPG
    P3080067.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 559
  • P3080049.JPG
    P3080049.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 557
  • P3080009.JPG
    P3080009.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 566

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I thought that two, but what would be the point of a highrise intake manifold if you were giong to do it that way? It looks like they built it from scratch out of sheet metal, so why not just run the tubes straight into the heads off the sides of the throttle body / plenum? Why run them way up, and then way back down? Unless their might be some harmonic / tuning benefit to having a longer intake manifold with a side draft intake port? (that's very possible, kinda like a Honda VTEC intake plenum on their DOHC motors)

Or perhaps I'm over analyzing this deal, and they are just feeding it more or less into the heads, and the rest of that intake manifold might just be to hold up the innercooler etc.. and just maintain the "look" of a highrise.. Who knows..

Need more pics.

RD
I think they are just holding that intercooler up to keep the look of a high rise, but more likely to make it easy to get to the fuel rails/injectors etc.

Those ausie trailers are funky, no bunks its just one big pad, plastic fenders, i'm not sold on them. especially when all that plywood starts rotting from water

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Couple of running shots of the Force outboard in Parker. They seemed to be running trimmed down most of the time.

RD

Blazen is a 21' as is the red outboard above which used to be the Herbst old boat. It was plowing most likely because they were running some balast.

The 23' Force (which incidently still measures 21' and is legal for world copetition) has a built in swim step. Howard Hoggins has a new 23' with a EFI turbo motor and a 6 drive.

R

Retired Member

How big is that thing?

That boat is a 21'

Looks to be that way.. There is something on the top of that back half of the manifold, that looks to be plumbed into what I'm guessing is the waste gate on the turbo.. ?? Which leads me to believe there might actually be inlet pressure in that cast aluminum (looks kinda like a blimp) deal that's on the back half of the manifold..

Ah who cares.. when the rest of the pics show up, it'll become alot more clear for everyone.

RD

Cool, you have more pics of it?

R

Retired Member

I think they are just holding that intercooler up to keep the look of a high rise, but more likely to make it easy to get to the fuel rails/injectors etc.

Those ausie trailers are funky, no bunks its just one big pad, plastic fenders, i'm not sold on them. especially when all that plywood starts rotting from water

The Aussie trailers are great. They have fiberglass that is shaped the same as the keel, that the boat sits in. They go on the trailer straight nearly everytime. They support the boat much better and would have much less of a chance of any bottom warpage.

What plywood are you talking about? The only wood on the trailer are outside bunks that are there to keep the boat from rocking. Nordic is starting to their trailers like the Aussies.

R

Retired Member

Blazen is a 21' as is the red outboard above which used to be the Herbst old boat. It was plowing most likely because they were running some balast.

The 23' Force (which incidently still measures 21' and is legal for world copetition) has a built in swim step. Howard Hoggins has a new 23' with a EFI turbo motor and a 6 drive.

I thought it was the Haigs boat? I swear I saw Howard driving up to the sandbar last year. Also on Force's site they show a picture of it and the pic name was haigboys.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
I just talked to my buddy the boat has tabs, a 6 drive and he didn't know what the phalic deal was. He said the guy that owns it has a bunch of ski race boats and they all have real exotic power plants. I guess he has a hauler like Randy Davis and on a race weekend the truck is picked up driven to the site and he has driver for the boat. Sometime he shows up for the races to watch and sometimes he doesn't. It must suck to have that much money.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
I thought it was the Haigs boat? I swear I saw Howard driving up to the sandbar last year. Also on Force's site they show a picture of it and the pic name was haigboys.

Haig's is all red and they still have it. When Tim called to have it built Howard has already ordered his all red. The owner of Force told Tim I'm not doing two all red boats add a color, so Tim said give it a black bottom.

R

Retired Member

I just talked to my buddy the boat has tabs, a 6 drive and he didn't know what the phalic deal was. He said the guy that owns it has a bunch of ski race boats and they all have real exotic power plants. I guess he has a hauler like Randy Davis and on a race weekend the truck is picked up driven to the site and he has driver for the boat. Sometime he shows up for the races to watch and sometimes he doesn't. It must suck to have that much money.

Yeah, Noel Griffin. Noel is a character. He was at the river with us last year before Catalina. He pulled Ben last year. We had breakfast with him the day of the Cat race. He owns a boat called "Special Edition", one called "Wild Fire" and now has Blazin' also. Mick, who sent me the pics, told me a story about Griffo driving "Special Edition" in a race side slapping it down the straights at 110+mph. Mick said Griffo is crazy and he won't ride with him again. :eek:

Attachments

• DSC00091.jpg
    DSC00091.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 584

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
I would really like to see a pic of one of those trailers without a boat on it, if anybody has one :hmm

R

Retired Member

Haig's is all red and they still have it. When Tim called to have it built Howard has already ordered his all red. The owner of Force told Tim I'm not doing two all red boats add a color, so Tim said give it a black bottom.

Gotcha

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Yeah, Noel Griffin. Noel is a character. He was at the river with us last year before Catalina. He pulled Ben last year. We had breakfast with him the day of the Cat race. He owns a boat called "Special Edition", one called "Wild Fire" and now has Blazin' also. Mick, who sent me the pics, told me a story about Griffo driving "Special Edition" in a race side slapping it down the straights at 110+mph. Mick said Griffo is crazy and he won't ride with him again. :eek:

Shannon said he is not a real good driver but he is going to be driving Blazen so that ought to be interesting.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
The Aussie trailers are great. They have fiberglass that is shaped the same as the keel, that the boat sits in. They go on the trailer straight nearly everytime. They support the boat much better and would have much less of a chance of any bottom warpage.

What plywood are you talking about? The only wood on the trailer are outside bunks that are there to keep the boat from rocking. Nordic is starting to their trailers like the Aussies.

If they are making them out of fiberglass that's alot nicer, one of my good friends worked for Dunsmore, they gave him one of the aussie race boat trailers that had the full bottom and it was all wood (made a great utility trailer for hauling tree branches to the dump :cool:). I still like bunk trailers better, being able to get to the bottom of the boat to clean it etc, i don't know how tight a fit the boat is to the trailer, but i wonder how it is at retaining moisture in that carpet from being sandwiched in between the boat and trailer shell. :hmm

To each his own, i'll take a bunk trailer any day over that full bottom deal. :D

The boats themselves are pretty bitchen, i rode observer one afternoon on mead taking Lori Dunsmore for a ski ride in the red outboard, great handling/riding boat.

R

Retired Member

If they are making them out of fiberglass that's alot nicer, one of my good friends worked for Dunsmore, they gave him one of the aussie race boat trailers that had the full bottom and it was all wood (made a great utility trailer for hauling tree branches to the dump :cool:). I still like bunk trailers better, being able to get to the bottom of the boat to clean it etc, i don't know how tight a fit the boat is to the trailer, but i wonder how it is at retaining moisture in that carpet from being sandwiched in between the boat and trailer shell. :hmm

To each his own, i'll take a bunk trailer any day over that full bottom deal. :D

The boats themselves are pretty bitchen, i rode observer one afternoon on mead taking Lori Dunsmore for a ski ride in the red outboard, great handling/riding boat.

I am sure there are a number of different manufacturers. The Cyclone I observed in last weekend had more boat exposed then the bunk style trailers. It was a pad same shape as the keel, and it was only 12-14" wide at the back, then had 2 2"bunks on either side (like you see on the newer Fountain trailers).

In order for the bunk trailers to support the weigh correctly, the bunk would have to end , and be supported, right at the transom. Anything longer or shorter could cause bottom warping.

Like you said, to each their own. I guess I like innovation. ;)

Also, like with my boat, the Aussie style trailer wouldn't work with a turn fin.

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score

T bags trailer does have bunks on it, so it sits off the flat of the trailer.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That boat is a 21'

Cool, you have more pics of it?

Thought you had an e-mail into the guy? And I figured you would be getting more pics for me.. Your not gonna be a cock teaser now are ya?

RD

XtrmWakeborder

Bean Counter
Reaction score
That thing is freaking cool! I wonder how it stacks up against say a schiada in the rough stuff.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For those of us that aren't overly familiar with the Aussie boats..

How does it compare to a Cyclone? (I'm getting the impression this is better then a cyclone for rough water?)

Any other hulls of interest from over there I.E. Conley? (sp?)

RD

R

Retired Member

For those of us that aren't overly familiar with the Aussie boats..

How does it compare to a Cyclone? (I'm getting the impression this is better then a cyclone for rough water?)

Any other hulls of interest from over there I.E. Conley? (sp?)

RD

The Force is the up and coming boat. I am not sure how many new Cyclones are being made over there, since the owner of Nordic owns the company and has Ross over here making boats. Conley's are very fast, but the fastest boat over there is made by Superboat. Basically it's a splash of the Conley with a few changes.

Wombat

The Great Southern land
Reaction score
The Force is the up and coming boat. I am not sure how many new Cyclones are being made over there, since the owner of Nordic owns the company and has Ross over here making boats. Conley's are very fast, but the fastest boat over there is made by Superboat. Basically it's a splash of the Conley with a few changes.

l was in a Connerly 21' about 2 weeks ago up the Hawksbury river near Windsor Sydney Australia. The thing is a total beast my girlfriend was so excited she left a snale trail all over boat. :D

The boat was running a KB wet block and heads (love those HEMIS) with a TBS 10.71 blower with 12% overdrive etc on Avgas.:drool

The trailer was a custom built unit in stainless steel with duel wheel set up and electric 4 wheel brakes.:cool:

We got to about 109mph with plenty left in the stick when l asked to back down as my balls were chokeing my wind pipe.:eek:

A top ride but not for the faint hearted.:beer

River Lynchmob

Reaction score

I talked to Greg Houston (owns Stinga, a connoly the boat has won everything) when I was down in Oct for the Indy race. He also drove Merc Force (21' Force with a 1075 package with a 6 drive in the worlds) He said in rough water there is no comparison between Stinga and Merc Force, he said Merc Force is hands down a superior boat in the rough. In smooth water he figuers Stinga would still be faster with the same power.

Connolys, Cyclones and Force will hand any boat built here there lunch in smooth or rough water.

D

Deleted Account

I talked to Greg Houston (owns Stinga, a connoly the boat has won everything) when I was down in Oct for the Indy race. He also drove Merc Force (21' Force with a 1075 package with a 6 drive in the worlds) He said in rough water there is no comparison between Stinga and Merc Force, he said Merc Force is hands down a superior boat in the rough. In smooth water he figuers Stinga would still be faster with the same power.

Connolys, Cyclones and Force will hand any boat built here there lunch in smooth or rough water.

People need to see the race DVD's from AUS. Those boat drivers are nutso as they are flinging those babies all over the place at 95 plus. We race around buoys, they race winding rivers. And they do it doubled up...

That would be exciting as hell to take a ride on one of their courses.:D:beer:D

Attachments

• home_water_6.jpg
    home_water_6.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 329
  • DSCF1282.jpg
    DSCF1282.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 358
  • force21stern.jpg
    force21stern.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 07Stinga.jpg
    07Stinga.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 354
  • 9_F21HerbstBros.jpg
    9_F21HerbstBros.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 338
  • 4_F21HaigBoys.jpg
    4_F21HaigBoys.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 346
D

Deleted Account

Whoops.

Attachments

• DSC_00162M.jpg
    DSC_00162M.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 361
  • slackrope.jpg
    slackrope.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 354

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
People need to see the race DVD's from AUS. Those boat drivers are nutso as they are flinging those babies all over the place at 95 plus. We race around buoys, they race winding rivers. And they do it doubled up...

That would be exciting as hell to take a ride on one of their courses.:D:beer:D

I have never seen the twin engined Forse before...looks like someone coppied Avila.

The two red ones at teh top are Haig's and Herbts F-2 boats before they were rigged.

The races down there are compleetly insane. I have quite a few race DVDs but I need to get a multi zone DVD palyer to play them on anything other than my computer.

I'm pretty sure I will go down for the 80 again next year.

D

Deleted Account

... I have quite a few race DVDs but I need to get a multi zone DVD palyer to play them on anything other than my computer...

Same problem I have. They work in the truck (Eclipse DVD) and the puter but not on the home DVD... Where do you get the multi zone deals?

R

Retired Member

Hellbent just won the Robinvale race last weekend and it's not a Connoly, it's a Superboat (although it is a Connoly splash). ;)

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Same problem I have. They work in the truck (Eclipse DVD) and the puter but not on the home DVD... Where do you get the multi zone deals?

Any electronics store (Best Buy, Circuit City etc). I am going to pick one up for the river and keep the DVDs out there.

D

Deleted Account

Why the hell not? :D:D:D

Did you take those at LB? I saw (I think) that boat down there in the pits...