WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Newport Cops-F'n D-Bags-BASH THREAD

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I see cops everyday and they dont cause me fear. some of you guys need to examine your life choices.

This is the norm for probably 90% of the good people living in the U.S. Only the criminals should fear the cops. Does that mean every single cop is a good cop. Nope, but the vast majority do their job in a professional manner with pride.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Funny this thread came up, today this was posted on reddit, it's a comparison of two municipalities police training videos, one of them happens to be Newport Beach's, compared to Decatur's (IL i believe).....

http://boingboing.net/2012/07/07/police-recruitment-videos-from.html

[video=youtube;cIgt8pmh7CU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIgt8pmh7CU[/video]

[video=youtube;w_rKA6ROAVk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_rKA6ROAVk[/video]

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Great find :thumbsup
NPPD suck they hasel everyone without the NPB zip code :fingers:

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
I see cops everyday and they dont cause me fear. some of you guys need to examine your life choices.

True story- I know a kid who got beat up by a cop while he was delivering newspapers years ago. Apparently, the cop was having a bad day, and got fired for it. It turns out that he had a history of abusing citizens.

Yes, that kid is afraid of cops to this day.

I guess he needs to examine his life choice in delivering newspapers....lol.

Last edited:

milkmoney

Reaction score
True story- I know a kid who got beat up by a cop while he was delivering newspapers years ago. Apparently, the cop was having a bad day, and got fired for it. It turns out that he had a history of abusing citizens.

:thumbsup:thumbsup

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Newport makes a lot of DUI busts,, evidently.
I'm a member of the Newport Elks and we get a steady stream of girls that need to earn some community service hours as part of their DUI probation.

They serve food to kids groups we award Scholarships and other awards to, help out in the kitchen and clean the dining room and help with charity functions for hours off their sentence.

Not a town to drink and drive in.

Sorry to read Phils story.
The Newport Boat cops are always cool to us.

Ya have to beef these incidences at the PD HQ and use the system.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Interesting...

True story. I work with two officer that were responding to what we know now was a bogus call only to be fired upon multiple times by a guy with a high powered rifle. Apparently the guy was just having a bad day and ended up losing his life in a shoot out with the police because of it. Turns out he had a history of violence against officers and the public.

Yes, those two cops are vigilant and aware of their surrounding probably a bit more than the average person walking around.

They examined their life choice to be in this profession back then and I'm sure till do daily. Both of them have moved on from patrol into investigative fields and are doing well.

What either of these two story's have to do with the idiot cop in Phil's scenario I don't know, I guess it was just share time.;)

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ok so got the full scoop from Billy, my brother and bitch S.I.L.

Billy arrived at a home rented by 4 of his friends parents, I guess a pretty big home. Not sure about underage drinking he didn't say but most are 20-21 y.o.'s from school. He and a girl he was with walked across the street for her to buy smokes. Billy noticed the 2 cops starring at him as they entered the liquor store, when he left and crossed the street he noticed them still starring. Let me explain, Billy isn't the typical C.P. patient, yes walks a lil gimpy but speech is fine, he never says to anyone that he's handicapped(he doesn't think he is) unless he's forced ie. this day. He entered onto the patio and the cop immediately came onto the property and yes pulled him out of the crowd of about 25-30 peeps. One of the mothers tried to intervene and the officer said he's drunk, she tried explaining that he had just arrived and had not drank at all, a father came out and tried explaining, same thing was said by the cop, then the cop became rude to anyone trying to explain. My nephew then tried explaining that he has C.P. and that's why he walks the way he does. He asked the cop to breath test him, nope, can I show you my A.D.A. card? Nope. My nephew figured oh well cops an asshole I'll just do what I gotta do. As the cops leaving with my nephew he shouts to the group, "Who want's to be victim number 19?" I guess he was proud that he had arrested 18 under age drinkers that day.

Fast forward to the jail, booking officer looks at my nephew and asks him why he's there, nephew says no idea, booking officer reads paperwork that says public intoxication, he looks at my nephew and says, "your not drunk", nephew says tell the arresting officer that so I can leave or can you blood test or breath test me? Booking officer says, we don't have to, nephew asks him well how do I prove my innocence? Cop says don't know.

Billy sits in jail for the mandatory 8 and gets out and goes to the house to spend a few hours asleep before he tells his parents. When he's leaving the arresting cop is posted out in the area and says to him, "how was your night in jail? Laughed at Billy and proceeded on"

Nothing more to add, no my nephew wasn't drunk, he wasn't disrespectful and he now seems to have a whole different out look on cops and our judicial system. He told his parents that if they contact an attorney it better not be a lawsuit about his C.P. or the like but what he feels as his rights were violated.

Holy Shit... I would not want to be his father right now.. Just reading this made my blood boil. If someone did that to my kid, especially under those circumstances I don't even know what I'd do. If I managed to see through the anger and keep it together, I'd be pounding on whoever the bosses office door was the next day demanding retribution. (Don't even care about the money, I'd want this guys ass gone, and I mean right fuckin now)

The intake officer said he wasent drunk then did nothing about it?

Standing by and doing nothing is just as guilty as being a party to it in my mind.

I will let you know what goes on from here. My brother has a lot of connects with lawyers down in the O.C. so I'm sure he and his wife and Billy are just getting their ducks in a row and then decide where to go from here.

It's pretty shitty that a citizen can have their rights fucked with so easily.

In theory a citizens rights shouldn't be and can't.. I hope they take this all the way and "Make an Example" of him..

From what we know the cops observed him in a public place walking to and from the liqour store. The fact that they contacted him at the end of his walk is kinda irrelavant. It's not a get outta jail free card as soon as you hit private property.

Not excusing the idiocy behind this particular arrest, just explaining how that type of observation arrest usually occurs.

You asked how the cop could go on to private property to make that arrest and I explained how and why. Pretty simple. The rest of the issues around the arrest are very questionable, not the procedure used to do it;)

Now if your talking about your personal beleifs regarding a cop entering private property to affect an arrest that's a whole other subject and a very small part of the issues here.

T&Y, you said you explained how, but you didn't explain how.. I read all the posts, and I was wondering the same thing about the private property? I'm not a lawyer (but I'm gonna ask one tomorrow).. I was always under the impression that if your back on private property, they missed their opportunity? That's not to say if they are in pursuit and you make it home kinda deal. But you know what I mean, without me having to get into all the details.. If they wanted to make that contact it should've happened in the street. Once your back on your soil, guy says "Come here" I say "No thank you, have a nice night." I do not believe they can come onto your property, nor do I believe you have to follow their direction for them to lure you off of it?

This is the norm for probably 90% of the good people living in the U.S. Only the criminals should fear the cops. Does that mean every single cop is a good cop. Nope, but the vast majority do their job in a professional manner with pride.

Well as one of the 90% I can tell you that I fear cops.. Has more to do with being mistreated by so many I'd have to take off my shoes to count them all as someone put it earlier.. And having pleasant experiences that I could count on one hand. Note I'm not talking about saying hello to some cop.. I'm talking stopped by a cop for whatever reason, or even in 2 instances when I called them for something.

I don't want to side track the thread, but I am real curious on this private property thing.. If the kid made it back to private party and they came in afterwards?? I'm not sure that's correct?

And not argumentative to VORF, but you said these idiots walking around with guns are doing more harm then good.. I wonder if officer crazy ass would've acted the same if there was 25 armed civilians on that private property. I'd wager the entire thing wouldn't have happened, and there in lies the problem with disarming a society. You remove the balance of power.

RD

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
T&Y, you said you explained how, but you didn't explain how.. I read all the posts, and I was wondering the same thing about the private property? I'm not a lawyer (but I'm gonna ask one tomorrow).. I was always under the impression that if your back on private property, they missed their opportunity? That's not to say if they are in pursuit and you make it home kinda deal. But you know what I mean, without me having to get into all the details.. If they wanted to make that contact it should've happened in the street. Once your back on your soil, guy says "Come here" I say "No thank you, have a nice night." I do not believe they can come onto your property, nor do I believe you have to follow their direction for them to lure you off of it?

Look at it in it's simplest of terms. The violations they observed occurred in public.:thumbsup You nor I know when they decided to contact him. If it were long after they observed him walking around I would agree they missed the boat. If it was as soon as he makes it back when they are contacting him they are good. That's assuming they were outside the house on a patio or something and not inside. Inside contact, uninvited, for that minor of an offense I would agree with you. It's the minor details that will get you.

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
What either of these two story's have to do with the idiot cop in Phil's scenario I don't know, I guess it was just share time.;)

I think the difference is that a LEO chooses his profession, knows what he is getting into, and actually gets paid to do it.

The kid on the paper route made no "bad life choices", as V.O.R.F asked about.

I just think it very funny (and a little bit sad) how the same members come on here every single time and defend a bad LEO's actions like their life depended on it. The only thing I can figure out is that it must be part of the police acedemy training...lol.

Are there good LEO's out there? You bet.
Are their hero LEO's out there who do something selfless off the clock? You bet.

That still doesn't take away the fact that some idiot makes all the rest look bad, like in every other profession in this world. No need to try and balance it.

Last edited:

PVHCA

Reaction score
A little update.

My nephew and brother have requested a copy of the police report(per their attorney), yes they have retained one, a former O.C. D.A. that specializes in this type of suit. PD is stating 2 weeks. My brother met personally with the attorney and couldn't believe how upset this guy got when he was told of what happened. My brother figured he's be a typical attorney but this guy is pissed, basically told my brother that he's sick to his stomach with this type of B.S. that certain cops think they can get away with.

Until more comes out that's where this stands.

On a side note my brother had a very long conversation with his son too make sure nothing pertinent was missing from his story, just wanting to make sure that my nephew wasn't keeping anything from the attorney.

My nephew said to my brother, "Dad got nothing to hide, was gonna drink later that day but had just got there", he laughed and said "shit dad never even cracked open a coldie".

Oh ya the attorney did say to them, "be prepared to read a lot of lies on the police report"!!

Last edited:

franky

Reaction score
A little update.

Oh ya the attorney did say to them, "be prepared to read a lot of lies on the police report"!!

EXACTLY HOW IT WORKS!!

I am sure your nephew was combative...:rolleyes:

PVHCA

Reaction score
EXACTLY HOW IT WORKS!!

I am sure your nephew was combative...:rolleyes:

Tried kicking them with his crooked foot, LOL!!

To be honest, for those that have met my nephew he doesn't seem to have a handicap, matter of fact when the doctor suggested years ago that he did, he looked at him like he was crazy.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
That sucks!! Sorry to hear Phil:thumbsdown

On the 4th in 2010 I had the cops accuse me of throwing those Monster Snap (little popper fireworks)...ya know.. the ones 5 year old kids throw at the ground and they pop.:rolleyes:

The cop made me sit on the curb, asked me 30 questions I told him it wasn't me and if I wasn't being cited or arrested I'd like to be let go. He kept threatening to bust me for drunk in public however it was early in the day and I had yet to have one sip of alcohol. So I kept pleading the 5th..:cool: While this cop was yelling at me, his cop buddy comes over and says "hey it wasn't him, it was this other guy" and they took off to wear he was about 15 yards from me. Me and my friend started walking and the same cop ran up behind my grabbed my shoulder and apologized for accusing me. I'll admit, it was pretty gentleman-like for him to do that, however it was chicken shit for him to jump my shit with no proof. There were dozens of others around and he just blamed me.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Phil...

Were they able to determine if it was an 849(b)(2) release or is the report being sent to the DA for complaint? Two weeks for a copy of the police report that should have been finished that day is B.S.
Couldn't have picked a better attorney.
Former DA who knows how the local system works.
Pleases me he is pissed about this.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Funny this thread came up, today this was posted on reddit, it's a comparison of two municipalities police training videos, one of them happens to be Newport Beach's, compared to Decatur's (IL i believe).....

http://boingboing.net/2012/07/07/police-recruitment-videos-from.html

Police Recruitment Video - YouTube

The Newport Beach Police Dept - Are You Qualified? - YouTube

That 2nd video just made me sick to my stomach! As the government pushes us further into a Police State, this will only get much worse. :thumbsdown

PVHCA

Reaction score
Phil...

Were they able to determine if it was an 849(b)(2) release or is the report being sent to the DA for complaint? Two weeks for a copy of the police report that should have been finished that day is B.S.
Couldn't have picked a better attorney.
Former DA who knows how the local system works.
Pleases me he is pissed about this.

My brother is heading to Newport PD today with my nephew and is getting the report, he called and demanded the report from what I understand. I don't know what type of report it was but he is handling it.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Phil, make sure they get copies of the booking records also and video of the booking cell area (if any). I am guessing they have a medical screening form. It is pretty standard for all agencies to have some sort of form asking basic medical questions to determine whether or not a person can stay in the jail. This form may or may not have been signed by the officer and your nephew. Would shed some additional light on things I believe.

On a side note, years ago when I was working patrol we used to get calls sometimes for passed out intoxicated persons both inside and outside of private property and upon arriving, determined that they were not intoxicated but having diabetic shock. Initial appearance can look very similar but properly trained person can tel the difference pretty quick based on observations.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Well as one of the 90% I can tell you that I fear cops.. Has more to do with being mistreated by so many I'd have to take off my shoes to count them all as someone put it earlier.. And having pleasant experiences that I could count on one hand. Note I'm not talking about saying hello to some cop.. I'm talking stopped by a cop for whatever reason, or even in 2 instances when I called them for something.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion based on your personal experiences and not all contacts will be positive for sure.

It is funny but if you think about it, generally there are typically 3 primary reasons you have contact with LE:

1. getting a ticket
2. getting arrested
3. victim of a crime

Now if you consider any one or a combination of these 3 things, no matter how you slice it, the average everyday citizen is going to be in a pissed off mood and direct that anger towards the LE. Just part of doing business and is to be expected and handled appropriately. Usually a good explanation by the LE will help keep things at a lesser level but not always. I believe that the majority of good persons out there don't fear cops and trust them and their judgement, however, there are those exceptions too as you stated for yourself.

I can remember getting all kinds of tickets as a kid with a fixed up car. Getting stopped with my friends and having beers in the car and having to pour them all out before being sent on my way, etc....my local PD treated me firm but fair and I learned my lessons for sure. Even though at the time, I perceived everything as negative, as I grew older I realized that I was being treated very fairly and professionally even though I was just a teenager who thought he knew everything like every other teenager out there. These impressions stuck with me over the years and helped form some of my ways of handling business at work today.

Slow What

Reaction score
It is funny but if you think about it, generally there are typically 3 primary reasons you have contact with LE:

1. getting a ticket
2. getting arrested
3. victim of a crime

I don't have a big problem with L.E. have family that are...but...what you wrote here is crap...when i was young i worked some weird shifts...getting off anywhere from 2-4am and used to get pulled over all the time...no ticket's from it...they were just fishing...every car i owned had a plate light out or some other bullshit story

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score

1. getting a ticket
2. getting arrested
3. victim of a crime

I have had many dealings with LEOs, both positive and negative. I have had positive experiences when getting a ticket, and negative experiences when being the victim of a crime, so it's potentially all over the board.

Having had a little education, the one thing I've noticed is that LEOs seem to struggle with "power vs authority".

Their job description is to serve the public interest, so anyone law-abiding citizen should never even know they are there. So when someone says:

I have always known (kind of an unspoken rule) that when going there on New Years or the 4th watch your P's and Q's.

That is a good indication that the police are not doing their job properly. No one should ever fear police contact, but it's obvious that many, many, law-abiding citizens out there do. These feelings are not out there for no reason.

I think where it goes south (like this thread) is where a LEO with abuse "power" instead of exercising "authority"- those guys should definately find a new line of work, because they make all the good ones look bad.

Like I said earlier, the true comedy (and frankly a little scary) part of all these threads is the select groups of LEOs that come on here everytime and check the appropriate box:

A). There's more to the story- what you are saying can't be true because LEOs never make mistakes.
B). You guys are all criminals if you talk negative about LEOs.
C). If you only knew the other side to how much good cops do, then this stuff is justifiable.
D). All of the above.

Welcome to Fantasyland- it's not just for Disneyland anymore...lol.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I think the difference is that a LEO chooses his profession, knows what he is getting into, and actually gets paid to do it.

The kid on the paper route made no "bad life choices", as V.O.R.F asked about.

Obviously his broad statement doesn't ring true in all cases. And I'm pretty sure the paperboy chose to be a paperboy just like the cop chose to be a cop. Neither one of those choices should allow unwarranted attacks.;) I hope we can agree on that.

I just think it very funny (and a little bit sad) how the same members come on here every single time and defend a bad LEO's actions like their life depended on it. The only thing I can figure out is that it must be part of the police acedemy training...lol.

Are there good LEO's out there? You bet.
Are their hero LEO's out there who do something selfless off the clock? You bet.

That still doesn't take away the fact that some idiot makes all the rest look bad, like in every other profession in this world. No need to try and balance it.

Who is defending the cops arrest? I think you are taking the discussion a bit to serious.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Having had a little education, the one thing I've noticed is that LEOs seem to struggle with "power vs authority".

Their job description is to serve the public interest, so anyone law-abiding citizen should never even know they are there. So when someone says:

Originally Posted by t&y
I have always known (kind of an unspoken rule) that when going there on New Years or the 4th watch your P's and Q's.

That is a good indication that the police are not doing their job properly. No one should ever fear police contact, but it's obvious that many, many, law-abiding citizens out there do. These feelings are not out there for no reason.

Really:rolleyes: So because I and upteen others are smart enough to not break the laws in an area where the cops enforce them... that is an indication that the police are not doing thier job properly:headscratch:. I'd say it is a bit more of common sense than fear of cops, but what do I know:thumbsup

I think where it goes south (like this thread) is where a LEO with abuse "power" instead of exercising "authority"- those guys should definately find a new line of work, because they make all the good ones look bad.

Like I said earlier, the true comedy (and frankly a little scary) part of all these threads is the select groups of LEOs that come on here everytime and check the appropriate box:

A). There's more to the story- what you are saying can't be true because LEOs never make mistakes.
B). You guys are all criminals if you talk negative about LEOs.
C). If you only knew the other side to how much good cops do, then this stuff is justifiable.
D). All of the above.

Welcome to Fantasyland- it's not just for Disneyland anymore...lol.

I'll entertain the drama for a good laugh.

A) Are you the type that still beleives everything word for word that you hear in the media? Do you understand there is more than one side to a story?
B) Please identify the LEO in here that said that.
C) Please identify the LEO in here that said that.

You might want to consider who is giving Phil advise on how to approach this thing and offering their assitance off the boards. Have you noticed that just about all of the LEO's in here have said they think the arrest is bogus?

On another note, it is a Cop bashing thread, go ahead, let it all out:thumbsup

On another note, is it you or one of the other "Havasu (insert rest of name here)" guys that is retired LEO?

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
Really:rolleyes: So because I and upteen others are smart enough to not break the laws in an area where the cops enforce them... that is an indication that the police are not doing thier job properly:headscratch:. I'd say it is a bit more of common sense than fear of cops, but what do I know

If there is a perception that someone needs to "watch their P's and Q's" is a certain city, then the police presence is not doing their job of seamless integration.

A quick story- I grew up in HB, and both HB and Newport and bad reputations back then. The "unwritten rule" was never to make contact with LEO's, because they are all "pricks".

I was a law-abiding citizen, breaking no laws, who happen to be approached by a HB police officer. Surprisingly enough, he was a real prick, using abusive language, etc (very unprofessional). I was issued a ticket, that I took to court and got found not guilty. He showed up, BTW, and was a prick there, too...lol.

So now fast forward.

To me, all it took was one prick (that happened to work for HBPD) to give me a negative impression of all HBPD, and fear any contact, because frankly, you never knew what they would write you up for, and even make some stuff up, as they acted unprofessionally, maybe even abusing power.

I would say that if law-abiding citizens are afraid of contact with a police department, they are not doing their job properly, and I bet the City Council would agree with that- in fact, I know that to be true.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I don't have a big problem with L.E. have family that are...but...what you wrote here is crap...when i was young i worked some weird shifts...getting off anywhere from 2-4am and used to get pulled over all the time...no ticket's from it...they were just fishing...every car i owned had a plate light out or some other bullshit story

Hence the word "generally" in my post. There are various other types and reasons for contacts of course but primarily those 3 areas cover the majority of reasons people come in contact with LE.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
If there is a perception that someone needs to "watch their P's and Q's" is a certain city, then the police presence is not doing their job of seamless integration.

A quick story- I grew up in HB, and both HB and Newport and bad reputations back then. The "unwritten rule" was never to make contact with LEO's, because they are all "pricks".

I was a law-abiding citizen, breaking no laws, who happen to be approached by a HB police officer. Surprisingly enough, he was a real prick, using abusive language, etc (very unprofessional). I was issued a ticket, that I took to court and got found not guilty. He showed up, BTW, and was a prick there, too...lol.

So now fast forward.

To me, all it took was one prick (that happened to work for HBPD) to give me a negative impression of all HBPD, and fear any contact, because frankly, you never knew what they would write you up for, and even make some stuff up, as they acted unprofessionally, maybe even abusing power.

I would say that if law-abiding citizens are afraid of contact with a police department, they are not doing their job properly, and I bet the City Council would agree with that- in fact, I know that to be true.

Well, so all it took was on prick for you to have a negative impression of the entire HBPD. Some, including me, would say that is the definition of ignorance. Apply that same logic to most things in life and you come up with the same result. Good luck to you, I digress.

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
Well, so all it took was on prick for you to have a negative impression of the entire HBPD. Some, including me, would say that is the definition of ignorance. Apply that same logic to most things in life and you come up with the same result. Good luck to you, I digress.

Hey, it's a numbers game. If 100% of my contacts were bad, then I am merely playing the odds. I would hate to go through that experience again, so now I "watch my P's and Q's", just like you pointed out.

I do have friends that are LEOs, and they are not pricks, so I know not all are- too bad they don't work in HB...lol.

Kinda funny how the LEOs come on here and call me "ignorant" instead of identifying and trying to fix a perception issue in their profession...lol.

I guess that falls under:

"B). You guys are all criminals if you talk negative about LEOs"

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I have had many dealings with LEOs, both positive and negative. I have had positive experiences when getting a ticket, and negative experiences when being the victim of a crime, so it's potentially all over the board.

I find it interesting that in your follow up posts you describe one negative contact with HBPD formed your whole opinion that all of HBPD were bad cops and yet here you describe having various positive and negative experiences. Safe to say that if you have a negative contact with a cop then he and possibly his entire agency suck but did not hear you say that when you had a positive contact that he (or she) and the entire agency must be good cops. You contradict yourself in various ways throughout this thread. The majority of LE does not struggle with power versus authority. They have both the power and the authority to enforce the laws of our state, make arrests, write tickets, keep people safe,etc.... They need to use both as appropriate and in a professional manner within policy and our state and federal laws.

I don't see one post in this entire thread supporting the actions of the officer in Phils situation and that is only hearing the story 3rd hand from Phil without even knowing all of the facts, just speculating but doing so in favor of Phils nephew and trying to provide some help with the situation.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Hey, it's a numbers game. If 100% of my contacts were bad, then I am merely playing the odds. I would hate to go through that experience again, so now I "watch my P's and Q's", just like you pointed out.

I do have friends that are LEOs, and they are not pricks, so I know not all are- too bad they don't work in HB...lol.

Kinda funny how the LEOs come on here and call me "ignorant" instead of identifying and trying to fix a perception issue in their profession...lol.

I guess that falls under:

"B). You guys are all criminals if you talk negative about LEOs"

In all the cop threads that have been posted over the years I do not believe I have read one that was posted by a LEO wherein he stated that "all cops are good cops period". Human nature is what it is and that being said there will always be a small percentage of cops throughout the Country that should never have been cops in the first place for a variety of reasons. I can tell you that there are pretty good internal mechanisms in place at most agencies to weed out the bad cops before they do anything stupid and/or criminal but a few slide through under the radar too. Some agencies just have better training and hiring standards then others and it shows in their performance. In the future, if you have contact with LE for any reason hopefully you will start out with a positive view of the contact and end with the same if you are treated fairly and professionally no matter what the circumstance.

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
I find it interesting that in your follow up posts you describe one negative contact with HBPD formed your whole opinion that all of HBPD were bad cops and yet here you describe having various positive and negative experiences. Safe to say that if you have a negative contact with a cop then he and possibly his entire agency suck but did not hear you say that when you had a positive contact that he (or she) and the entire agency must be good cops. You contradict yourself in various ways throughout this thread. The majority of LE does not struggle with power versus authority. They have both the power and the authority to enforce the laws of our state, make arrests, write tickets, keep people safe,etc.... They need to use both as appropriate and in a professional manner within policy and our state and federal laws.

Well, I haven't shared all my anecdotes because only the ones that are relative to the posts in this thread.

As for the "power vs authority" thing, there wern't alot of pictures in that book, so I won't get into that...lol.

Here, we'll file this one too under:

"B). You guys are all criminals if you talk negative about LEOs."

In the future, if you have contact with LE for any reason hopefully you will start out with a positive view of the contact and end with the same if you are treated fairly and professionally no matter what the circumstance.

I know you find this hard to believe, but I have a good attittude about LEOs these days. Me and my friends have a good sense of humor about alot of things.

I just think it's crazy how much of a hard line a few members take anytime a LEO is questioned on these forums....they are almost worse than the DCB guys!

The one thing I have learned over my lifetime is that you can't fix a problem if you don't first identify it...and the lack of humility most LEOs exhibit doesn't seem to let them even admit there are problems (like there are everywhere in life).

"Being humble is not a sign of weakness"...words to live by.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Well, I haven't shared all my anecdotes because only the ones that are relative to the posts in this thread.

As for the "power vs authority" thing, there wern't alot of pictures in that book, so I won't get into that...lol.

Here, we'll file this one too under:

"B). You guys are all criminals if you talk negative about LEOs."

I know you find this hard to believe, but I have a good attittude about LEOs these days. Me and my friends have a good sense of humor about alot of things.

I just think it's crazy how much of a hard line a few members take anytime a LEO is questioned on these forums....they are almost worse than the DCB guys!

The one thing I have learned over my lifetime is that you can't fix a problem if you don't first identify it...and the lack of humility most LEOs exhibit doesn't seem to let them even admit there are problems (like there are everywhere in life).

"Being humble is not a sign of weakness"...words to live by.

I think the best advice I can give you is don't let one or a few bad examples of service taint your view that all LEO's have the problems you have alluded to. Some certainly do but the vast majority is still doing the job with professionalism and pride the way they should be performing. I also feel your statement in line B sort of demonstrates your overall attitude which appears negative based on your posts and even ignorant to some degree. I would still "humbly" offer you a beer and admire your Cig boat if you stopped next to me though so discussing opinions in an adult manner (is that possible on RDP?) can be informative and sometimes even productive.

We have deviated quite a bit and the bottom line here hopefully Phils nephew and family will find out the true facts of the situation and follow up as needed with an appropriate response.

Last edited:

SydneyRaysDad

Average Member
Reaction score
I've been following this thread for a bit and I guess it's time to throw in my two cents. First, I'm a cop. Not a LEO or LE or all the other acronyms used to describe police officers in these threads. No offense taken it's just a fact. Second, I work in a very large city that is full of gangsters and other assholes that are out there commiting very real, very violent crimes on an hourly basis. Unfortunately when you work in a smaller beach/tourist type city where there isn't "real" crime you have to find work where you can find it. Let's all agree to disagree that we don't pay cops to "Smile, Wave, and Talk" we pay them to keep us safe and keep unruly actors off the street in the city where we live. If you live in a small beach city, thats the "drunk" guy walking out of the bars........luckily for me it's the gangster doing a drive by on his rival hood.

PVHCA

Reaction score
I should have titled the thread, Newport Cop but there was 3 so I titled it Cops, LOL!! Arresting officer, his partner and the booking officer all failed my nephew, IMO.

I was told by another cop friend that from the info I've shared with him the arresting officer should NEVER have arrested him even if he had shown signs of drinking. Says proper protocol is to make sure subject can take care of themselves, if subject was in any type of danger to himself or others than it's the officers call. Also said with so many friends around should have just issued a citation and if he believed he was slammered release him to the custody of one of the parents. But since he had not been drinking then the whole thing just seems weird.

IMO just another cop(not all cops) with a hard on and wanting to flex his authoritative muscles, and no I do not thing this is the norm or the majority, IMO most cops are good guys doing a very tough job that I wouldn't do.

probablecause

Reaction score
I've been following this thread for a bit and I guess it's time to throw in my two cents. First, I'm a cop. Not a LEO or LE or all the other acronyms used to describe police officers in these threads. No offense taken it's just a fact. Second, I work in a very large city that is full of gangsters and other assholes that are out there commiting very real, very violent crimes on an hourly basis. Unfortunately when you work in a smaller beach/tourist type city where there isn't "real" crime you have to find work where you can find it. Let's all agree to disagree that we don't pay cops to "Smile, Wave, and Talk" we pay them to keep us safe and keep unruly actors off the street in the city where we live. If you live in a small beach city, thats the "drunk" guy walking out of the bars........luckily for me it's the gangster doing a drive by on his rival hood.

x2

The problem I have when I hear stories like the OP is that the agency is generally marching to a beat from the "top down" which is kind of sad. If this were a rogue officer, well OK, but you hear enough of these stories with the "beach" city departments that you have to wonder what the message from the administration really is. As an "Administrator" (one of "them" but in Southeast Los Angeles), this officer would have his ass reamed if the incident is correct. Additionally, to bring someone into jail with a medical condition for public intox is a no-no. They had better be falling down drunk. Find them a ride home.

Now onto Miranda... The problem is that most people think that Miranda is a requirement for every crime. However, it is not needed at all unless you are going to be engaging the person in custody in questions where he/she could say something that would incriminate them. I don't need to read them to someone who I arrest for being drunk in public, driving with a suspended license, or who I see committing a crime. It might be nice to know their state of mind but for most basic misdemeanors, forget about it.

Last edited:

thetub

Reaction score
"Being humble is not a sign of weakness"...words to live by.[/QUOTE]:thumbsup

slowride

Reaction score
x2

Now onto Miranda... The problem is that most people think that Miranda is a requirement for every crime. However, it is not needed at all unless you are going to be engaging the person in custody in questions where he/she could say something that would incriminate them. I don't need to read them to someone who I arrest for being drunk in public, driving with a suspended license, or who I see committing a crime. It might be nice to know their state of mind but for most basic misdemeanors, forget about it.

Don't you get a large amount of info BEFORE Mirandizing someone? Like.... where did you come from, what were you doing there, who were you with..... info that may be incriminating but fair game BEFORE reading them their rights and hooking them up?

probablecause

Reaction score
If I walk into domestic violence and have the husband sit on the couch and ask him what happened, I am simply fact gathering (plus, he is not under arrest - yet). I have on obligation to get both sides of a "story" before I arrest. Your name, birthdate, home address, etc. don't cut the grade for statements of incrimination. They are simply personal data and are not constitutionally protected. If I ask you where you are coming from or what you are doing out this late and you tell me to pound sand, then it is what it is. If you tell me that your car broke down and that you are going to get some gas, them hop in and I will give you a ride to the nearest gas station (once I run you for warrants). Most of those contacts with the 'where are you going' and 'what are you doing' are coming while the subject is being detained (not under arrest).

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Don't you get a large amount of info BEFORE Mirandizing someone? Like.... where did you come from, what were you doing there, who were you with..... info that may be incriminating but fair game BEFORE reading them their rights and hooking them up?
If you are at the opposite end of a police encounter your best bet is to exercise your rights before they are read to you ;) that leaves no grey area. You don't have to be a dick when you do it, be polite.

IF YOU ARE STOPPED FOR QUESTIONING
Stay calm. Don't run. Don't argue, resist or obstruct the police, even if you are innocent or police are violating your rights. Keep your hands where police can see them.
Ask if you are free to leave. If the officer says yes, calmly and silently walk away. If you are under arrest, you have a right to know why.
You have the right to remain silent and cannot be punished for refusing to answer questions. If you wish to remain silent, tell the officer out loud. In some states, you must give your name if asked to identify yourself.
You do not have to consent to a search of yourself or your belongings, but police may "pat down" your clothing if they suspect a weapon. You should not physically resist, but you have the right to refuse consent for any further search. If you do consent, it can affect you later in court.

IF YOU ARE STOPPED IN YOUR CAR
Stop the car in a safe place as quickly as possible. Turn off the car, turn on the internal light, open the window part way and place your hands on the wheel.
Upon request, show police your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance.
If an officer or immigration agent asks to look inside your car, you can refuse to consent to the search. But if police believe your car contains evidence of a crime, your car can be searched without your consent.
Both drivers and passengers have the right to remain silent. If you are a passenger, you can ask if you are free to leave. If the officer says yes, sit silently or calmly leave. Even if the officer says no, you have the right to remain silent.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I should have titled the thread, Newport Cop but there was 3 so I titled it Cops, LOL!! Arresting officer, his partner and the booking officer all failed my nephew, IMO.

I was told by another cop friend that from the info I've shared with him the arresting officer should NEVER have arrested him even if he had shown signs of drinking. Says proper protocol is to make sure subject can take care of themselves, if subject was in any type of danger to himself or others than it's the officers call. Also said with so many friends around should have just issued a citation and if he believed he was slammered release him to the custody of one of the parents. But since he had not been drinking then the whole thing just seems weird.

IMO just another cop(not all cops) with a hard on and wanting to flex his authoritative muscles, and no I do not thing this is the norm or the majority, IMO most cops are good guys doing a very tough job that I wouldn't do.

Phil, it really depends on what the Departments policies and/or city ordinances allow. Normally if a person is intoxicated but there are friends or family to care for them it becomes a non issue. The beach may have special ordinances though that allow for an arrest/cite to be made even if the aforementioned circumstances exist.

Now with all that you have stated, the fact he has a disability and ADA card to show proof of such coupled with friends and family there stating the same, I find it very hard to believe that he was taken into custody. I am hoping that a thorough internal review has been initiated by the Department and still curious what the medical screening forms indicate that had to be completed during the booking process.

Stop by the house if you want after work if you have any direct questions you would like answers to or have your brother ask me. Is this Rob we are talking about?

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
If you are at the opposite end of a police encounter your best bet is to exercise your rights before they are read to you ;) that leaves no grey area. You don't have to be a dick when you do it, be polite.

I would disagree unless of course you know you have done something wrong and/or committed a crime. Then this applies. If you are innocent and not involved in what you are being investigated for then it would behoove you to explain this in thorough detail.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Phil, it really depends on what the Departments policies and/or city ordinances allow. Normally if a person is intoxicated but there are friends or family to care for them it becomes a non issue. The beach may have special ordinances though that allow for an arrest/cite to be made even if the aforementioned circumstances exist.

Now with all that you have stated, the fact he has a disability and ADA card to show proof of such coupled with friends and family there stating the same, I find it very hard to believe that he was taken into custody. I am hoping that a thorough internal review has been initiated by the Department and still curious what the medical screening forms indicate that had to be completed during the booking process.

Stop by the house if you want after work if you have any direct questions you would like answers to or have your brother ask me. Is this Rob we are talking about?

No it's Bill's youngest son Lil Billy.

He's keeping quite till he and the attorney have everything in front of them, I'm the loud one about it, LOL!!

My S.I.L. is on fire though and wants the cops badge, she's a bulldog and usually works very hard to get what she wants. My brother told her to calm down and let the process take it's course.

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
No it's Bill's youngest son Lil Billy.

He's keeping quite till he and the attorney have everything in front of them, I'm the loud one about it, LOL!!

My S.I.L. is on fire though and wants the cops badge, she's a bulldog and usually works very hard to get what she wants. My brother told her to calm down and let the process take it's course.

LOL.......your family sounds like the Sopranos :D
Hence the avatar I guess :cool::D

PolarBearKing

The Ass Man
Reaction score
Man, I swear, I don't know how you cops take all this bashing. Lil Billy is lucky he didn't get a Rodney King beat down too....

PVHCA

Reaction score
Man, I swear, I don't know how you cops take all this bashing. Lil Billy is lucky he didn't get a Rodney King beat down too....

Cop wouldn't be alive today to tell his version had this happened!!

thetub

Reaction score
PBK is just angry since his own RDP beat down, LOL!!

If kid did wrong and is bullshitting he should get his ass handed to him, but if cops did what is said they should also. This us against them attitude should not be there. If so go join 1% biker club.

Skee

Unknown Member
Reaction score

PVHCA

Reaction score
If kid did wrong and is bullshitting he should get his ass handed to him, but if cops did what is said they should also. This us against them attitude should not be there. If so go join 1% biker club.

Agree 100%. My nephew did nothing to warrant an arrest or having to spend 8 hours in a cell.