WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Newport Cops-F'n D-Bags-BASH THREAD

PVHCA

Reaction score
I will brush some light strokes and finish in the morning. It involves my nephew a sophomore at Concordia Univ. in Irvine, scholar student, model 20 year old in our city, ie. volunteer awards, oh ya and he has Cerebral Palsy. Guess the loser cop figured since he was walking funny he was slammered. Arrested him in front of 30 plus witnesses peers and parents that were trying to tell the cop he has not been drinking, never read him his Miranda Rights, never tested him for alcohol(breath or blood) and wouldn't let my nephew show him his disability placard/card.

More to come in the morning, kid wouldn't call his parents, didn't wanna upset them so he road out the 8 hour stint in the cell.

My brother and bitch S.I.L. so want this fucks badge.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I will brush some light strokes and finish in the morning. It involves my nephew a sophomore at Concordia Univ. in Irvine, scholar student, model 20 year old in our city, ie. volunteer awards, oh ya and he has Cerebral Palsy. Guess the loser cop figured since he was walking funny he was slammered. Arrested him in front of 30 plus witnesses peers and parents that were trying to tell the cop he has not been drinking, never read him his Miranda Rights, never tested him for alcohol(breath or blood) and wouldn't let my nephew show him his disability placard/card.

More to come in the morning, kid wouldn't call his parents, didn't wanna upset them so he road out the 8 hour stint in the cell.

If all is true, I wouldn't mind havin' a piece of it also.............

Joker

Reaction score
Shintoo to the black & white courtesy phone please.

That sucks. Seems to be on par with the shit that was going down in HB last night.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

That sucks. Seems to be on par with the shit that was going down in HB last night.

Fuck Brown.

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score

More like the RED HOT LINE!

koenig

Reaction score
This should be a news story. I think the police need to be kept in check by the press and public opinion.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Are you reffering to Billy? If so he is a real good kid.Sorry to hear this.:thumbsdown

rivergames

Reaction score
This should be a news story. I think the police need to be kept in check by the press and public opinion.

I agree. Fuck OC cops. Bunch of Self Centered pricks. I would contact every news channel I could find

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
This is more then just the arresting officers badge imo. I bet no less then 3 other officers handled thks kid once at the station. Which means out of all these douche bags no one could figure out the kid was handicap? Its shitbag cops like this that get innocent people killed. For instance the fullerton skitso that was beatin to death by fullerton pd cause none of them could figure out or see signs that the kid was skitso. So their answer was beat him into submission. I hope ur family makes some shit happen when they rattle this cage. All that officer had to do was ask a few questions and listen to the people around that kid when it all went down. What a fucking douche bag.

McRib

Reaction score
Oh and lets not forget after 8 hrs in the tank he walks out with the same questionable step and slur in his speech. Fucking morons!

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Phil, sounds like the cop is a real jerk.
But once again, for the umpteenth time, you don't have to read someone their "miranda rights" to arrest them legally.
You don't have to have someone blow or do a BA to do a drunk in public arrest.

That doesn't give this cop any leeway, he should pay the price as should the cops working the custody unit.

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
But once again, for the umpteenth time, you don't have to read someone their "miranda rights" to arrest them legally.

That doesn't give this cop any leeway, he should pay the price as should the cops working the custody unit.

I heard that Timothy McVeigh walked with a limp. This is about national security and everything is justified in the name of national security. It only takes 5 lbs of super wazoo explosives to get within the radius of John Wayne airport, which is a constant target of terroists. I'd post some picture of a terrorist act in an attempt to shut down the argument to show that if you disagree with me, then you must support terrorist activities or you are just too stupid to understand the complexities of national security, or both, but I don't keep those pictures stored on this computer. Maybe Low River can help a brother out?

If the kid doesn't like it, he can always stay on private property. :thumbsup

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
You can't be serious.
If you are serious, I can't help you.

Loelco

Just Wishin'....
Reaction score
Hell, that doesn't bother'em one whit. Unless its something they don't feel like doing.

thetub

Reaction score
I heard that Timothy McVeigh walked with a limp. This is about national security and everything is justified in the name of national security. It only takes 5 lbs of super wazoo explosives to get within the radius of John Wayne airport, which is a constant target of terroists. I'd post some picture of a terrorist act in an attempt to shut down the argument to show that if you disagree with me, then you must support terrorist activities or you are just too stupid to understand the complexities of national security, or both, but I don't keep those pictures stored on this computer. Maybe Low River can help a brother out?

?

McRib

Reaction score

I must have missed the other times uv said it but ur statment reads to me like one would have no rights at the time of arrest. If ur not read ur rights at the time of arrest a lawyer could get that shit dimissed just on that. Or is that only on tv? :p

On the second note if ur gonna arrest someone for dui or drunk in public why wouldnt u have to prove it first. What keeps an officer from just walking up to me and arrest me cause he "thinks" im drunk? Am I missing something?

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score

Our kids are no dealing with the BULLSHIT caused buy our own goverments policys they fail to enorce every day.Do you really think this kid wa a threat or are the effen cops there(I know they are)ASSHOLES!?:rolleyes:

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
You can't be serious.
If you are serious, I can't help you.

I'm not serious and you can't help me. So you are right on both counts. :p I was just using the same logic LR used in another thread to squash the cop bashing.

But I could say the same thing about your post? Explaining to Phil why he doesn't have to have his miranda rights read nor be tested on scene for impairment? WTF? I'd give 1000000000000:1 odds that your post did more to piss off Phil, than help him understand why some asshole cop arrested a handicapped kid.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Surely you can't be serious?

I am serious and stop calling me shirley :D

I'm not serious and you can't help me. So you are right on both counts. :p I was just using the same logic LR used in another thread to squash the cop bashing.

But I could say the same thing about your post? Explaining to Phil why he doesn't have to have his miranda rights read nor be tested on scene for impairment? WTF? I'd give 1000000000000:1 odds that your post did more to piss off Phil, than help him understand why some asshole cop arrested a handicapped kid.

Oh BTW you couldn't possibly understand unless you walked a mile in their shoez. So FO. :D

Last edited:

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
Surely you can't be serious?

I am serious and stop calling me shirley :D

Oh BTW you couldn't possibly understand unless you walked a mile in their shoez. So FO. :D

In all fairness, FTB does try to understand civilian opinions more than most LE.

Ultracrazy

Reaction score
Since none of us were there.....is pretty tough to defend or rip either side. To make a blanket statement on either end of this story would not be the way to go. But this is RDP.........

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
Since none of us were there.....is pretty tough to defend or rip either side. To make a blanket statement on either end of this story would not be the way to go. But this is RDP.........

Since the title of this thread was cop bash thread....I think Phil was looking to vent. But, since I wasn't there when he posted, we really don't know the true story. To make a blanket statement on either end of his motives would not be the way to go. But this is RDP.....which means we get to keep talking and posting no matter what LE says! It is a regular anarchy! Although most people don't really understand what an actual anarchy is and it would not be fair to make a blanket statement on either end. But this is RDP. But since none of us actually participate in anarchy, it would not be fair to make a blanket statement about why people don't understand what an anarchy is. But this is RDP. But since none of us understand why people don't understand things like anarchist workings, to make a blanket statement on either end would not be the way to go. But this is RDP......

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
On edit again...I made a blanket statement that the cop was wrong because I know Phil, he isn't going to come on here and tell us half the story. The kid either has CP or he doesn't.

Okay, we will run through Miranda one more time...

The advisement known as Miranda Rights must only be given when two events are in play.
Cop makes arrest...AND Cop wants to ask questions pertinent to the crime of the person he has arrested.
Custody and Interrogation is the phrase we use
Custody...person cannot leave, is under arrest. A simple brief detention for a traffic stop has not been upheld as a Miranda Trigger. Stopping a guy you find walking down a street at 2am in a residential area where there have been a bunch of car burgs and asking him what he is doing is not a Miranda detention.
You find same guy carrying a crowbar and wearing a ski mask, stop him, handcuff him, and say, "did you break into that car back there? Miranda trigger.
Remember, Custody and Interrogation.
If cop has warrant for your arrest and stops you, he can hook you up and book you with no Miranda.
If cop catches you inside someone elses car boosting the stereo at o'darkthirty, he don't want to ask you any questions related to the crime, no Miranda. After you are under arrest he can ask you your name, address and DOB without triggering interrogation.
If you are in custody...sitting in the back of the cop car, sitting on the curb and handcuffed...and he asks you how many cars you have broken into, Miranda is triggered.
Okay...

Now..on public intoxication...if you look at the law in California it is 647 (f) P.C.
"Intoxicated to the point where cannot care for own safety or safety of others"
There is no BA threshold for this. It is purely officer discretion...many cops will blow a 647(f) arrestee just to give the jail an idea how long they need to hold him, but the case is madeon the objective symtoms of intoxication as observed by the arresting officer and documented in his police report.
This is where the cop who arrested Phil's nephew is going to eat the shit sandwich.
Many medical problems can give the initial appearance of intoxication...diabetic illness, epilepsy, MS (my sister has it) and CP, among others.
Cops are supposed to be pros, trained observers and recorders of fact.
Miserable failure here.
The cop did a half-ass investigation and jumped to a wrong conclusion, even after being told that the young man was not drunk he didn't look further into it. The cop did not conduct himself in a professional manner, did not perform an investigation that arrived at the correct end.
Then, the officers receiving the arrest did not evaluate the arrestee at time of booking as per what I am sure their policy states.
That is where the jail cops will find themselves SOL.
They were outside of written policy.
The arresting officer has a while bunch more problems, and it sounds like there are going to be a whole bunch of people at the prelim (if the DA files, he probably won;t) and all of those people wil testify in the civil suit, which needs to happen.

Phil and I have shared more than a few beers, he knows me and he knows my intent...if he was pissed off about the first post, that is okay. He is madder than a wet hen about what happened to his nephew and he has a right to be pissed off about anything he likes.

On edit...I stated in the first post I thought it was a bad arrest and the cop was wrong.
I did so before I addressed the miranda deal.
My intent in addressing the miranda issue was to clarify for the rest folks on here, the regulars, that Miranda wasn't in play.
I have done so before, ad nauseum. As a general rule I stay out of these threads because in general no one remembers what I have said.
Again, Phil knows me, if he is pissed by my response he can tell me so.

Last edited:

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
On edit again...I made a blanket statement that the cop was wrong because I know Phil, he isn't going to come on here and tell us half the story. The kid either has CP or he doesn't.

Okay, we will run through Miranda one more time...

Very good explanation about Miranda rights.:thumbsup... So many misconceptions are based on TV cops and TV scripts... It aint like that in the real world, and quite frankly, cops can, and do, just about anything they want to do in the course of dealing with a "suspect".... They can lie to him, they can deceive him, they can tell him asking for a lawyer makes him look guilty, and does he really want to get that deep into it...etc etc...
Thank you for that very through explanation that even RDPers can understand...Well, some of us anyway....
Ray

V.O.R.F

STAY OFF THE ROVER
Reaction score
willing to bet there is more to this story.

sorry the kid had to deal with this regardless.

Performance Boat Candy

Reaction score

Sucks! Sorry to hear :thumbsdown

Shane54

Reaction score
Really sucks to hear this. But in all fairness, it is very easy to mistake someone with CP for being intoxicated. Throw in a ton of other kids/people who come to Newport on the fourth, most drunk, and you could blend in as one. Horrible that he had to spend the night, probably pretty dramatic, but in that setting I could see how this very easily could occur.

JUAN VONWERNER

Reaction score

WTF?

dribble

Reaction score
I must have missed the other times uv said it but ur statment reads to me like one would have no rights at the time of arrest. If ur not read ur rights at the time of arrest a lawyer could get that shit dimissed just on that. Or is that only on tv? :p

On the second note if ur gonna arrest someone for dui or drunk in public why wouldnt u have to prove it first. What keeps an officer from just walking up to me and arrest me cause he "thinks" im drunk? Am I missing something?

That is on TV. The only situations where the charges could get dismissed would be under the following circumstances:

The suspect is already under arrest or reasonably perceives that he under arrest or is otherwise not free to leave is being questioned and is not read his rights.

He makes an incriminating statement ie. Yes I had six beers in an hour.

That statement is the only basis used to prove the case. For example if a cop finds him sitting in a park with six empties and a receipt for the beer he can ask "did you just drink those". If the suspect says "yes I did what about it", the arrest can be made based upon that statement. If (upon questioning) he makes another statement (ie, I aslo drank a pint) without having been read his rights, that statement is not admissible but the other evidence still is. If while being transported, he volunteers a statement without questioning, that statement can also be used.

Back to the issue at hand. I believe that it is possible that a travesty like this is more an indication of a rouge Police Department rather than that of a single rouge officer. The entire community should be enraged and hold the Chief of Police personally responsible.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
So I see you're at work this morning. You should have some time to get into the grit of the story now.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Are you reffering to Billy? If so he is a real good kid.Sorry to hear this.:thumbsdown

Yep, Lil Billy!!

Thanks bud, and not at all mad about what's legal, thanks for the explanation.

Was gonna bash you but read the other post, all good.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Dribble makes a good point.
I spent 25 years working in the field and can tell you there IS such a thing as a dept. with a bad internal culture. Getting good cops starts with the hiring process.
You get the best people you can. You weed out the flakes, the losers, the people that aren't suited there.
Then, you put them through an academy.
You begin the teaching process. You weed out the ones that are not capable of making decisions, working under pressure there.
Then, the critical step is a Field Training Program.
Ours lasted a year.
I wrote it.
You get the best people you have, who reflect the best of your dept. in both skill, safety, and respect for the public, and you have them impart all they know into the trainee.
And here you weed out the ones who are badge heavy, short of brains, and umpteen other things that make a person unsuitable for the job.
If an agency doesn't have the right people running the FTO program, and has a culture of, "us v. them" then you wind up with "bad" cops...and after a few years, they infest the culture of what might have been a god cop shop.
Things like this event are rarely an isolated incident. I am sure there will be a full on investigation behind this deal to determine which it is, a good cop making a bad decision..(possible) or the result of what I stated here.

A good cop doesn't arrest and book a sick or disabled person for 647(f).
It just doesn't happen, not in the world I worked in.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Do LE carry any type of Errors and Omissions liability insurance? Seems to me this one is a lawsuit waiting to happen and quite possibly an expensive one.

slowride

Reaction score
Dribble makes a good point.
I spent 25 years working in the field and can tell you there IS such a thing as a dept. with a bad internal culture. Getting good cops starts with the hiring process.
You get the best people you can. You weed out the flakes, the losers, the people that aren't suited there.
Then, you put them through an academy.
You begin the teaching process. You weed out the ones that are not capable of making decisions, working under pressure there.
Then, the critical step is a Field Training Program.
Ours lasted a year.
I wrote it.
You get the best people you have, who reflect the best of your dept. in both skill, safety, and respect for the public, and you have them impart all they know into the trainee.
And here you weed out the ones who are badge heavy, short of brains, and umpteen other things that make a person unsuitable for the job.
If an agency doesn't have the right people running the FTO program, and has a culture of, "us v. them" then you wind up with "bad" cops...and after a few years, they infest the culture of what might have been a god cop shop.
Things like this event are rarely an isolated incident. I am sure there will be a full on investigation behind this deal to determine which it is, a good cop making a bad decision..(possible) or the result of what I stated here.

A good cop doesn't arrest and book a sick or disabled person for 647(f).
It just doesn't happen, not in the world I worked in.

We're talking about Newport..... been that "culture" for the 55 years I've been on this earth and avoiding Newport. It didn't take too many interactions with NBPD before you got the message.... stay the F out of Newport punk. It worked... I stayed out of Newport and headed north to Huntington. River jetty is your friend.......:thumbsup

PVHCA

Reaction score
Ok so got the full scoop from Billy, my brother and bitch S.I.L.

Billy arrived at a home rented by 4 of his friends parents, I guess a pretty big home. Not sure about underage drinking he didn't say but most are 20-21 y.o.'s from school. He and a girl he was with walked across the street for her to buy smokes. Billy noticed the 2 cops starring at him as they entered the liquor store, when he left and crossed the street he noticed them still starring. Let me explain, Billy isn't the typical C.P. patient, yes walks a lil gimpy but speech is fine, he never says to anyone that he's handicapped(he doesn't think he is) unless he's forced ie. this day. He entered onto the patio and the cop immediately came onto the property and yes pulled him out of the crowd of about 25-30 peeps. One of the mothers tried to intervene and the officer said he's drunk, she tried explaining that he had just arrived and had not drank at all, a father came out and tried explaining, same thing was said by the cop, then the cop became rude to anyone trying to explain. My nephew then tried explaining that he has C.P. and that's why he walks the way he does. He asked the cop to breath test him, nope, can I show you my A.D.A. card? Nope. My nephew figured oh well cops an asshole I'll just do what I gotta do. As the cops leaving with my nephew he shouts to the group, "Who want's to be victim number 19?" I guess he was proud that he had arrested 18 under age drinkers that day.

Fast forward to the jail, booking officer looks at my nephew and asks him why he's there, nephew says no idea, booking officer reads paperwork that says public intoxication, he looks at my nephew and says, "your not drunk", nephew says tell the arresting officer that so I can leave or can you blood test or breath test me? Booking officer says, we don't have to, nephew asks him well how do I prove my innocence? Cop says don't know.

Billy sits in jail for the mandatory 8 and gets out and goes to the house to spend a few hours asleep before he tells his parents. When he's leaving the arresting cop is posted out in the area and says to him, "how was your night in jail? Laughed at Billy and proceeded on"

Nothing more to add, no my nephew wasn't drunk, he wasn't disrespectful and he now seems to have a whole different out look on cops and our judicial system. He told his parents that if they contact an attorney it better not be a lawsuit about his C.P. or the like but what he feels as his rights were violated.

fmo24

Reaction score
We're talking about Newport..... been that "culture" for the 55 years I've been on this earth and avoiding Newport. It didn't take too many interactions with NBPD before you got the message.... stay the F out of Newport punk. It worked... I stayed out of Newport and headed north to Huntington. River jetty is your friend.......:thumbsup

x2 I grew up in HB and everyone knew to stay away from NBPD especially on the fourth of July

Sandlord

Reaction score
any ADA lawyer would love this case

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Phil, your nephew got screwed...

I understand his desire to keep the CP out of the lawsuit, I understand it completely and respect the young man for his determination to no let his illness get the best of his life.
But I want you to communicate this message to him.
What if the next time that chickenshit cop arrests someone who has an illness, like him, but hasn't become so adept at dealing with it?
What if the next time the cop arrests some young man, like him, who is just beginning to overcome the issues he is facing, and this incompetent ass destroys ever ounce of self esteem he has struggled to build.
The CP issue damn well needs to be the centerpiece of this lawsuit, as do the other witnesses, the jail cops (went down just like I suspected) and the culture needs to be cleaned up in Newport.
Your nephew is the victim of this, but he can save a whole bunch of other victims by stepping forward. Not "using" his illness as an excuse...but making damn sure no one else suffers the same fate at the hands of this ass.
Phil....if you think a 25 year retired cop who is still proud of his work can help this young man understand he has been given a mission here...let me know. I will pm you my number and he can call me. This needs to be done.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Ring them up Phil. Fuck all that noise.

They need to be held accountable for there lack of professionalism.

McRib

Reaction score
The intake officer said he wasent drunk then did nothing about it? cops stick together weither there is right or wrong. The intake officer should have had the balls to take it up the chain of command and gotten that kid released. This is total bullshit.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
The intake officer said he wasent drunk then did nothing about it? cops stick together weither there is right or wrong. The intake officer should have had the balls to take it up the chain of command and gotten that kid released. This is total bullshit.

It is total bullshit...

But cops don't always stick together when wrong is being done. As a retired Sergeant, I wouldn't tolerate this shit. The cop would be with days on the beach if I caught this crap going down.
Negligent training.
Negligent supervision...

PVHCA

Reaction score
Phil, your nephew got screwed...

I understand his desire to keep the CP out of the lawsuit, I understand it completely and respect the young man for his determination to no let his illness get the best of his life.
But I want you to communicate this message to him.
What if the next time that chickenshit cop arrests someone who has an illness, like him, but hasn't become so adept at dealing with it?
What if the next time the cop arrests some young man, like him, who is just beginning to overcome the issues he is facing, and this incompetent ass destroys ever ounce of self esteem he has struggled to build.
The CP issue damn well needs to be the centerpiece of this lawsuit, as do the other witnesses, the jail cops (went down just like I suspected) and the culture needs to be cleaned up in Newport.
Your nephew is the victim of this, but he can save a whole bunch of other victims by stepping forward. Not "using" his illness as an excuse...but making damn sure no one else suffers the same fate at the hands of this ass.
Phil....if you think a 25 year retired cop who is still proud of his work can help this young man understand he has been given a mission here...let me know. I will pm you my number and he can call me. This needs to be done.

I will let you know what goes on from here. My brother has a lot of connects with lawyers down in the O.C. so I'm sure he and his wife and Billy are just getting their ducks in a row and then decide where to go from here.

It's pretty shitty that a citizen can have their rights fucked with so easily.

Reaction score
It's pretty shitty that a citizen can have their rights fucked with so easily.

Brothas been going threw it for years. Just saying :D

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
If Billy would have been drinking this whole situation could have been avoided and the arrest legit, just sayin:thumbsup

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this. I hope bringing it to the media's attention will help shed some light on how bad NBPD is. Good luck!