WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Newport Dunes Salt Water Newbie

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got a 30' Magic based out of Newport Beach and have been surveying this site recently. Plenty of good dudes with performance boats but looks like mostly Colorado River folks from what I can tell. If anyone is on here from Newport Beach harbor let me know.... I see some go fast boats at Sabatino's rack system and a couple stored at Dunes launch but not very many that's for sure.

Cheers

Attachments

• Magic pic #1.jpg
    Magic pic #1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Magic pic #2.jpg
    Magic pic #2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 159

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Welcome to RDP. There are plenty of members that live in the Newport & HB Areas even though they boat at the river. There are a lot of members (Inmates) in SoCal.

Tank

Reaction score
Congrats on the boat.

There's a lot of go fast boaters down there. Check out the SCOPE Facebook or website for a calendar of events for the club. They always welcome new members to tag along.

Tank

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I know the plaza where the pic were taken....does that count?

For the record I am part of some awesomeness that sits in Dana Point Harbor.

Salt water is not easy but we keep at it due to the contagious big smiles.

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Welcome!
I live and work in SoCal, play in AZ, and spent last weekend in Hoag, Newport if that counts. Wife had surgery there and daughter works there. I stopped boating in salt water 20 years ago.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I was out ripping around the Harbor yesterday. I will race you to the jetti. :D -- Welcome to RDP - most of my weekend boating is on Havasu...

image.jpg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Welcome.
The Offshore section should start heating up this month.

We slip at Bayside and hit Catalina all summer long.
When in town we Dingy to most the food and drink Spots in NPB Harbor.

Breakfast most mornings at Malarky's and drinks at Blackies when in NPB too.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Comments are appreciated. Good to learn there are some salt water peeps on this board.

I think you will appreciate this tale:

When I was shopping for my boat I finally found this Magic with only 150 fresh water hours on her. When I asked the owner to bring her to Newport to launch for a sea trial he looked very hesitant. It didn't occur to me till next day that a fresh water user would never put his boat in salt for a trial. [He wouldn't have flush kit for starters] We met in Lake Elsinore as a compromise. She's all salt from here on though. I did the river stuff on my last boat so know the deal... I just want to drift at sea and watch whales and dolphin now. Hit Catalina over the summer/ fall months for overnight stays.

Both are sweet ... just being on any water is better than land as I bet we can all agree!

Ciao

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Comments are appreciated. Good to learn there are some salt water peeps on this board.

I think you will appreciate this tale:

When I was shopping for my boat I finally found this Magic with only 150 fresh water hours on her. When I asked the owner to bring her to Newport to launch for a sea trial he looked very hesitant. It didn't occur to me till next day that a fresh water user would never put his boat in salt for a trial. [He wouldn't have flush kit for starters] We met in Lake Elsinore as a compromise. She's all salt from here on though. I did the river stuff on my last boat so know the deal... I just want to drift at sea and watch whales and dolphin now. Hit Catalina over the summer/ fall months for overnight stays.

Both are sweet ... just being on any water is better than land as I bet we can all agree!

Ciao

Good tale.
Post freely and always hold the thought that those few that complain about RDP posts are the turds that contribute nothing to the forums.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Congrats on the boat.

There's a lot of go fast boaters down there. Check out the SCOPE Facebook or website for a calendar of events for the club. They always welcome new members to tag along.

Tank
Hey buddy.... enjoying your pics. I just looked into SCOPE and everything online looks pretty dead. I'm not a FaceBooker any longer but did visit their site or whats left of it. Website showed error? I haven't tried the listed number yet in Ontario, Ca.... any clues whats up with them? Thanks.

Tank

Reaction score
Hey buddy.... enjoying your pics. I just looked into SCOPE and everything online looks pretty dead. I'm not a FaceBooker any longer but did visit their site or whats left of it. Website showed error? I haven't tried the listed number yet in Ontario, Ca.... any clues whats up with them? Thanks.
Club was basically shut down do to people selling boats, getting onto cars, sand rails and other high dollar hobbies. Economy recession took its toll. Club moved to a Facebook group page after club was officially shuttered. Those that are left aren’t very group active any longer. It’s pretty sad because the scope day of about 98 through 08 were the best boating years EVER. great group, gear boats, great times. It was really a moment in time I’m afraid will never be back. Just go through all the photos on their Facebook page. Crazy good times.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Ahhhhh the good ole days. Well, at least you have the memories. I'm starting to Jones for an overnight island adventure.... just waiting for right weather and wanna make sure the Pavilion Hotel is open. Its been friggin windy lately!