WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Next project in the engine room: R&R a brand new 621 cubic inch aluminum engine that has never been run or even had oil in it!

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I have decided that I will pull this dusty engine apart and freshen it up, even though all parts are brand new and its never been run! From what I understand it sat in a carport area with the oil pan off, so the only reasonable thing is to carefully take it all apart, clean the block and lower end components and probably pull all the valve springs off and measure them. It's in the engine room, coming apart tomorrow. The cam sensor needs to be addressed, it's too tight against the intake. The fabricated sheet metal intake is set up for EFI, two injectors per cylinder, and it had an intercooler on top (missing throttle bodies) If I can find an intake that fits for a single Dominator, I may swap that out.

Specs are 621 cubic inches, Brodix aluminum 10.7" tall deck block, Brodix BB4 heads I believe, dry sump oil pan and pump. 10.2-1 compression, ideal for pump gas in a boat. Cam is a Bullet that was selected by the customer to run with E85 turbos.

Contact me by direct message if you have an interest in purchasing, including any customization or modifications while it's apart. It won't be apart long, once it's cleaned up it will immediately go back together as I measured all the clearances originally, so those will not have changed.

IMG_20220531_150349463_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220915_125329904.jpg

IMG_20220915_125336119.jpg

IMG_20220915_125353544.jpg

farmo83

Reaction score
Is there any disadvantage to running an aluminum block other then cost? And it can't be bored if something goes south ?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Is there any disadvantage to running an aluminum block other then cost? And it can't be bored if something goes south ?
They talk about expansion rate of the material vs iron, but I have been around a couple of them. Paul Gooding had a 615 that I put together in a Schiada that ran real strong, and of course Gary Haribedian has one in the red "Justified" Schiada that he has owned and raced for many years.

They can be bored like any other iron block, and actually have the advantage of being able to replace sleeves if necessary at some point, as well as being able to do proper welding repairs on the block if it should become necessary.

RaceTec

Reaction score
Bitchen engine that just looks sad from sitting...

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Bitchen engine that just looks sad from sitting...
Really sad! It was originally all freshly polished, think $1500 worth if I recall! I think the block and heads will polish up with minimal effort, the other parts may need to be machined polished again I think.

mattyc

Reaction score
Barry, that's a cam sensor I'm looking at, installed in the distributor location? This was intended for efi? Individual coils or a front mounted distributor deal?

Is the problem interference with intake manifold at the top?
@obnoxious001

bocco

Reaction score
Is it just the angle of the picture, or will the bottom row of head studs interfere with the exhaust manifold/headers?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Barry, that's a cam sensor I'm looking at, installed in the distributor location? This was intended for efi? Individual coils or a front mounted distributor deal?

Is the problem interference with intake manifold at the top?
@obnoxious001
The manifold is fabricated with two injector ports per cylinder for the bigger power. Just needs a smaller diameter cam sensor, this is something he may have made up an outer cover for. Individual coils is the way he was going.

I have been trying to find one of the 10.7" deck Brodix manifolds with no luck so far. I figured a single Dominator would be an easier to sell package. The intake that is on it had an intercooler housing built to bolt right on it.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Is it just the angle of the picture, or will the bottom row of head studs interfere with the exhaust manifold/headers?
Must be the angle of the shots, I had it mocked up with Drake manifolds that he was going to put turbos on, no issue.
IMG_20180127_161445_013.jpg

mattyc

Reaction score
The manifold is fabricated with two injector ports per cylinder for the bigger power. Just needs a smaller diameter cam sensor, this is something he may have made up an outer cover for. Individual coils is the way he was going.

I have been trying to find one of the 10.7" deck Brodix manifolds with no luck so far. I figured a single Dominator would be an easier to sell package. The intake that is on it had an intercooler housing built to bolt right on it.
In order to utilize individual coils etc, does a crank sensor need to be used as well? Or can it be done with just a cam sensor?

Is your intention with the dominator a n/a deal or still plan to add turbos? How would it work in n/a form assuming it has a camshaft intended for turbos?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
In order to utilize individual coils etc, does a crank sensor need to be used as well? Or can it be done with just a cam sensor?

Is your intention with the dominator a n/a deal or still plan to add turbos? How would it work in n/a form assuming it has a camshaft intended for turbos?
I would likely have the cam reground if someone wanted to run the engine NA. I have a guy who does all my camshafts. I don't want to do anything to the cam until I am sure, and I need to see if I can find specs for this cam since Steve bought it himself.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
OK,, listing for sale today in the "for sale" section while it's in parts so it can be inspected by anyone interested to see that it's all new parts, never run. A deal can be made to sell it apart, or back together, either dry sump or wet sump pan, and with the current fabricated manifold or set up for a single carb. Lots of options for someone who wants a big, unique engine. I plan to have a local guy polish the block and heads before it goes back together, if someone speaks up quick I suppose the block could be painted instead.

rush1

Reaction score
Man someone put a shit ton of work into that . Sad to see it not getting used. way to much engine for my old sled.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Man someone put a shit ton of work into that . Sad to see it not getting used. way to much engine for my old sled.
I built it originally around 12-13 years ago. The owner had health issues and it sat as his dream project was never realized. It's been re polished and now going back together for the new buyer.

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Barry do you know who made that intake manifold ? I have the same one on my TT
Just curious as there’s no markings on mine 🍻

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Steve knew some guy in the San Fernando Valley or something, I will look at this one later and see if it's marked.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
This one says "BJ's" engraved on the valley plate along with a checkered flag. It's a one off manifold, made to fit 10.7" deck block, however I had to fabricate spacer plates for the ends.