WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Nexus Super C - any insight?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Looking really hard at these.
They’re low-frills, and prices accordingly, but seem to be built for the long haul:

All steel construction
International commercial bus chassis
Cummins ISB 6.7
Allison tranny
Composite (Azdel) outer/inner walls, zero wood
Tow ratings between 10k & 20k depending on model

Anyone own one or know much about them?

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
For a low-frills, at least they didnt use luan and went full azdel on the wall construction.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We had a Seneca with the 360 hp Cummins, total dog, no power for towing and so loud in the cab you couldn’t even talk easily. Went back to a DP once I realized the cool factor of having one was the only advantage.

pronstar

Reaction score
We had a Seneca with the 360 hp Cummins, total dog, no power for towing and so loud in the cab you couldn’t even talk easily. Went back to a DP once I realized the cool factor of having one was the only advantage.

In our price range, were really looking at:
Class A gasser - Ford 7.3 / F53 chassis
Super C diesel - commercial chassis

I need to tow 10k so that’s really pushing it for a Class A gasser, methinks.
Plus the carrying capacity is low. Nowhere near the 5-7k on the Super C’s we’re considering.

A quality diesel pusher would be older, and I’m not crazy about the maintenance and serviceability if I’m honest…

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

Plus the carrying capacity is low. Nowhere near the 5-7k on the Super C’s we’re considering.

A quality diesel pusher would be older, and I’m not crazy about the maintenance and serviceability if I’m honest…
The 6.7 is the small block with 360 Hp and like 850 torque I believe? It dropped down to 25 mph towing our 28 Daytona on grades and had a hard time with our 24 foot enclosed loaded with a sandcar, fuel and water and all the other usual glamis stuff. I could live with the slower pace, but the bigger issue was the cab noise. It’s a dump truck basically, engine is loud being up front, wind noise and rattles everywhere in the Seneca. Like most new motorhomes these days the quality has tanked due to the rush to get them out the door since sales exploded with Covid. We bought a 16 DP with the 450 up big block Cummins, it’s a beast, night and day towing.

I enjoyed driving it other wise, cab doors is really convenient and they just look cool snd since they are not as popular as pushers, lots of people would check it out.

pronstar

Reaction score
The 6.7 is the small block with 360 Hp and like 850 torque I believe? It dropped down to 25 mph towing our 28 Daytona on grades and had a hard time with our 24 foot enclosed loaded with a sandcar, fuel and water and all the other usual glamis stuff. I could live with the slower pace, but the bigger issue was the cab noise. It’s a dump truck basically, engine is loud being up front, wind noise and rattles everywhere in the Seneca. Like most new motorhomes these days the quality has tanked due to the rush to get them out the door since sales exploded with Covid. We bought a 16 DP with the 450 up big block Cummins, it’s a beast, night and day towing.

I enjoyed driving it other wise, cab doors is really convenient and they just look cool snd since they are not as popular as pushers, lots of people would check it out.

Yeah it’s the smaller motor, typically rated around 360/850 or thereabouts.

We’re mostly the $150k-ish price range.

After having two toy haulers, which were built like crap, I’m hoping to get something with “good bones” and I can deal with little issues here and there.

A 550/600 chassis are a no-go from a towing and carrying capacity POV, and anything with a freightliner chassis is a bit above my pay grade.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
I have an 18 Seneca and after fixing all the rattles it’s a much quieter ride. Yes the motor in front isn’t as quiet as a pusher but I can live with that. Less talking to the wife!!! I love mine but after it needs more power. But it pulls my shot just fine. Way better than the gasser I had before

pronstar

Reaction score
What I really like about the commmercial chassis, is the serviceability. Hood tilts forward and the entire engine and front end are easily accessible.

And being able to get service nearly everywhere is a plus as well.

X Hoser

Reaction score

We had an Allegro Open Road Class V10 Ford with the F53 chassis. Shake rattle and roll! So noisy could hardly carry on a conversation with the wife while on the road. Fuel mileage around 7 mpg NOT Towing! I beleive the towing capacity was 5000#. Sold it after the first weekend of using it!

No experience with the Super C, but I’d listen to what ONE-A-DAY has to say about it.

With your budget, I’d be looking at Diesel Pushers. Yea, the maintenance is more costly but they run for ever if maintained. A gasser’s value with drop like a rock when mileage goes past 60-70K miles

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Look at side radiator pushers. With the radiator on the side the motors are pretty open and easy to maintenance. you can get a good quality pusher with that budget. I'm not a huge fan of the newer super C's. Like One a day said, the quality just isnt there. Now if you can find an older Renegade or Show hauler those are really well built. Not as fancy as a pusher or the new stuff but built to last

pronstar

Reaction score
We had an Allegro Open Road Class V10 Ford with the F53 chassis. Shake rattle and roll! So noisy could hardly carry on a conversation with the wife while on the road. Fuel mileage around 7 mpg NOT Towing! I beleive the towing capacity was 5000#. Sold it after the first weekend of using it!

No experience with the Super C, but I’d listen to what ONE-A-DAY has to say about it.

With your budget, I’d be looking at Diesel Pushers. Yea, the maintenance is more costly but they run for ever if maintained. A gasser’s value with drop like a rock when mileage goes past 60-70K miles
Yeah I’ve pretty much eliminated any gasser from the list 👍

v6toy4x

Reaction score
towing 10K behind one of these with the 6.7 on anything besides a downhill will be frustrating in the least.
Used pusher with bigger power and tranny if towing is a everyday occurrence. otherwise the smell of the good deal will be covered by the smell of boiling coolant and cooking clutches

pronstar

Reaction score
Honestly diesel pusher repair bills scare me…

But makes sense on a side radiator.
I always wondered why you guys keep recommending them over rear rads

I’m gonna mindfuck this purchase for at least 6 more months…maybe more thanks to you DP assholes and your logic and shit 😊

My sister/BIL have an older Super C with an 8.1…it’s been solid for them, but it’s not winning any races so I just gotta make sure I can keep pace with them 👍🤣

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Honestly diesel pusher repair bills scare me…

But makes sense on a side radiator.
I always wondered why you guys keep recommending them over rear rads

I’m gonna mindfuck this purchase for at least 6 more months…maybe more thanks to you DP assholes and your logic and shit 😊

My sister/BIL have an older Super C with an 8.1…it’s been solid for them, but it’s not winning any races so I just gotta make sure I can keep pace with them 👍🤣

I know you want a commercial chassis, the problem in the super C category is they are way overpriced right now, more than the usual over pricing going on IMO.

When you try and get into one with the bigger power, say cummns L9 or the detroit DD8 the price jumps as much as 100K because the mfrs dont want to put the big power in a small stripped down model for some reason.

Dynamax just unveiled the "europa" which is on a freight liner M2 and intended to be short and compete in the entry (seneca) super C price range but they use the 6.7 also.

HOWEVER, when that was being developed the GM of Dynamax was leaning towards moving the short layout up into the "force" line which then gets the detroit dd8. This would be the smallest most economical true super C but hovering at the 300K price tag that might actually be able to really tow what the hitch is "rated" for.

If you want to stay on your budget either a used pusher as noted or have you seen the isata 5 28SS, 30' (+/-) on the ram 5500 4wd chassis with the same 6.7 as the nexus but a dry weight probably 3-4K less and a 10K hitch rating. Performance wise this chassis would get to pull 3-4K free compared to the nexus. Cons are CCC is less as well since it is a 19,500 chassis as opposed tot he 26,000 nexus.

Just food for thought I love looking at all the new RV designs and floor plans
Have fun, keep us posted, nothing like spending the kids inheritance I always say, let them make their own!!

Screenshot_2020-02-22 2020 Dynamax Isata 5 28SS FCIS2559 Anthem RV(33).png

pronstar

Reaction score
I know you want a commercial chassis, the problem in the super C category is they are way overpriced right now, more than the usual over pricing going on IMO.

When you try and get into one with the bigger power, say cummns L9 or the detroit DD8 the price jumps as much as 100K because the mfrs dont want to put the big power in a small stripped down model for some reason.

Dynamax just unveiled the "europa" which is on a freight liner M2 and intended to be short and compete in the entry (seneca) super C price range but they use the 6.7 also.

HOWEVER, when that was being developed the GM of Dynamax was leaning towards moving the short layout up into the "force" line which then gets the detroit dd8. This would be the smallest most economical true super C but hovering at the 300K price tag that might actually be able to really tow what the hitch is "rated" for.

If you want to stay on your budget either a used pusher as noted or have you seen the isata 5 28SS, 30' (+/-) on the ram 5500 4wd chassis with the same 6.7 as the nexus but a dry weight probably 3-4K less and a 10K hitch rating. Performance wise this chassis would get to pull 3-4K free compared to the nexus. Cons are CCC is less as well since it is a 19,500 chassis as opposed tot he 26,000 nexus.

Just food for thought I love looking at all the new RV designs and floor plans
Have fun, keep us posted, nothing like spending the kids inheritance I always say, let them make their own!!

View attachment 1086632
This is the International commercial chassis that Nexus uses for the Ghost, Wraith, and Triumph models in my price range. It’s available with the bigger Cummins but Nexus doesn’t offer it. This one would be my preference.

This International chassis is also available on the Nexus Rebel. It’s a bit less stout but sill has a tilt-forward cab. I’m just not thrilled with the Duramax V8 (only engine offered) compared to an inline-6. It’s basically equivalent to a 5500 chassis

I’m really liking the tilt-forward cabs from a maintenance POV. And for serviceability/repairs there are something like 1200 International dealers who will service it, including warranty repairs, plus any Love‘s truck stop.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
This is the International commercial chassis that Nexus uses for the Ghost, Wraith, and Triumph models in my price range. It’s available with the bigger Cummins but Nexus doesn’t offer it. This one would be my preference.

This International chassis is also available on the Nexus Rebel. It’s a bit less stout but sill has a tilt-forward cab. I’m just not thrilled with the Duramax V8 (only engine offered) compared to an inline-6. It’s basically equivalent to a 5500 chassis

I’m really liking the tilt-forward cabs from a maintenance POV. And for serviceability/repairs there are something like 1200 International dealers who will service it, including warranty repairs, plus any Love‘s truck stop.

I looked hard at the Nexus, I want short with the bigger power (400/1200ish) and love some of their floor plans especially wraith 33w, just couldn't get past the 6.7 as the largest engine option. The Wraith and Triumph being the de tuned 6.7 to boot at just 300/660 with the Allison 2500, tranny alone is a huge limiting factor in long term reliability if trying to tow heavy on a regular basis. Just because the hitch itself is rated to handle 10K that by no means, suggests the motor home will actually pull anywhere near that weight given specific drive train combos and weight of motor home. IMO of course

Their floor plans and price point is there, they just need to add an engine/tranny upgrade option for under 40K more, not sure that works for them?

Have fun, the search/research is as much fun as buying it!!

pronstar

Reaction score
Yeah I like shopping for shit like this. Sooo many options.

I ain’t seeing any DP’s with side radiators in this price range…but I’ll keep looking.

There’s some older Tiffins and a shitload of Thor DP’s…

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Yeah I like shopping for shit like this. Sooo many options.

I ain’t seeing any DP’s with side radiators in this price range…but I’ll keep looking.

There’s some older Tiffins and a shitload of Thor DP’s…
I think the best value out there and one our favorites that we have owned was a Fleetwood Revolution LE, comes with the big block 400 cat, one of the few coaches rated at 15,000, spartan chassis (the nicest riding imho), side radiator, etc. I loved the Cat, towed like a mofo. These coaches were not built at the normal Fleetwood factory but rather at the American Coach division since they used the Spartan chassis, all other fleetwoods are Freightshakers. Basically the same exact coach as the American Coach, all the same floorpans, but the interior appointments are not as high end, but at the same time $100k less.

Example..........

yz450mm

Reaction score
I think the best value out there and one our favorites that we have owned was a Fleetwood Revolution LE, comes with the big block 400 cat, one of the few coaches rated at 15,000, spartan chassis (the nicest riding imho), side radiator, etc. I loved the Cat, towed like a mofo. These coaches were not built at the normal Fleetwood factory but rather at the American Coach division since they used the Spartan chassis, all other fleetwoods are Freightshakers. Basically the same exact coach as the American Coach, all the same floorpans, but the interior appointments are not as high end, but at the same time $100k less.

Example..........

That seems like a killer deal for that coach! If I was in the market I'd be all over that thing.

pronstar

Reaction score
I’m just not sure I want to roll the dice on a 15+ year old coach 😐

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I’m just not sure I want to roll the dice on a 15+ year old coach 😐
Far better roll then a new one, not all that much as changed other than more electronic crap to go wrong. And we have had better luck with higher mileage units, low mileage on a DP is not a good thing.