Banned
Reaction score
JOHN FORCE RACING!
Thanks ROBERT HIGHT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
AL ANABI SILVER, I'll take credit even though water horse isn't here. ;)

Nordie

Reaction score
Welp 6 races to go inmates, time to discuss championships!

Eli

Banned
Reaction score
BEER AND CLOCK STANDINGS
Nordie= Capps: 3
WTG= Hight: 2
Eli= Courtney: 0
Napa= J Gray: 0
Mrs.Napa= Tasca: 1
SS= J Force: 0

CLOCK ONLY STANDINGS:
BTB=Wilk: 0
TBI= Beadle
Rvrrat429: Beckman: 0
Richeyrch: Hagan 1

Sent from my Bat Cave

waterhorse

Reaction score
I thought I was here. I don't feel tardy:D

Good racing today. Thinking about going to indy for the 60th:thumbsup

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Always a great race when DSR gets skunked!!!!
Ray
PS Anyone else notice how much Selzei's oldest son looks like LARRY DIXON???:yikes:yikes

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
I thought I was here. I don't feel tardy:D

Good racing today. Thinking about going to indy for the 60th:thumbsup

WH, you gotta get in and talk some shit, I thought you abandoned Langdon. :D

waterhorse

Reaction score
WH, you gotta get in and talk some shit, I thought you abandoned Langdon. :D

Yeah, and I'm good at that shit talkin'.
Had some freinds stop by during the race, so I was being polite to them for a change. I hate nice.:D

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Welp 6 races to go inmates, time to discuss championships!

I picked Langdon from Pomona, of course it's a 6 race sprint to Pomona, but if they can stay consistent I think Al Anabi Silver wins it all.
FC, probably 6 cars that could win, throw them in in a bag, shake it, pour them out, I'm sticking with my preseason pick of Courtney.
PS, just like TF, M Edwards is Mr consistent. If he gets sidelined, then Roy Johnson horse power and AJ's experience should take it.
PSM, I picked Hector Jr early but changed horses to Matt Smith midway.
I think RR429 or Napa screen saved my pre-season picks? :D

To summarize;
TF-Langdon
FC-Courtney
PS-Allen Johnson
PSM-Matt Smith

Nordie

Reaction score
My preseason picks were

Kalitta, Capps, and Edwards, been that way since day one!

Eli

Banned
Reaction score
My preseason picks...oh wait I didn't even know anything about NHRA preseason!

Thanks guys for making it so much fun!!! Each week I'm more excited about Vegas Baby!

Are we gonna get tickets to Pomona?

Sent from my Bat Cave

PLACECRAFT20

Reaction score
I just want to say my good friends billy and Steve Torrence did great this weekend. I remember when billy and I street raced for fun years ago and watched Steve grow up. It has been great to watch Steve but Billy brings a big smile to my face. Great job guys. Beer is on me when y'all get home.

Eli

Banned
Reaction score
I just want to say my good friends billy and Steve Torrence did great this weekend. I remember when billy and I street raced for fun years ago and watched Steve grow up. It has been great to watch Steve but Billy brings a big smile to my face. Great job guys. Beer is on me when y'all get home.

Congrats to your friends!!! Take pics please!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Had no idea, this is really cool you know the Torrence's. Do you know them through their contracting buisiness?

Eli

Banned
Reaction score

If you're in Southern Ca...I'll "show up" and buy a round just to shake their hands!

Sent from my Bat Cave

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
My preseason picks...oh wait I didn't even know anything about NHRA preseason!

Thanks guys for making it so much fun!!! Each week I'm more excited about Vegas Baby!

Are we gonna get tickets to Pomona?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Don't forget we have this event called Vegas first. Did you get your ticket for Friday night?

Eli

Banned
Reaction score
Don't forget we have this event called Vegas first. Did you get your ticket for Friday night?

Not yet...I have to wait to figure out if I can take both Friday and Monday off work. Couple technicalities I'm "sorting" through. Sorry :(

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Couldn't help but notice a few new "bench racers" this week.
Thanks for stopping in Waterhorse, Boozer, Callbob, In awe, Gramps, SoCalDave, mjc, money pit, nowski, FBT, luvnlife, Flats only, and Placecraft20.
Apologies if we missed anyone! Hope you guys come back in two weeks for Charlotte, the beginning of the countdown!:D

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Not yet...I have to wait to figure out if I can take both Friday and Monday off work. Couple technicalities I'm "sorting" through. Sorry :(

Sent from my Bat Cave

No worries. We'll be there. A general admission ticket at the last minute shouldn't be a problem. :)

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
And thanks to TBI for cleaning up that crappy pic I posted of the accident.:thumbsup

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Thanks for stopping in Waterhorse, Boozer, Callbob, In awe, Gramps, SoCalDave, mjc, money pit, nowski, FBT, luvnlife, Flats only, and Placecraft20.
Apologies if we missed anyone! Hope you guys come back in two weeks for Charlotte, the beginning of the countdown!:D

You are right. Was a great day racing for me. First time I think that I actually paid attention and posted for a whole race (i.e. laid on the couch all day nursing my hangover). :D

Nordie

Reaction score
Still working on my hangover for tomorrow. Probably not a good idea though. I like seeing new faces to BRing, be fun to see more faces in Vegas, it could be epic.

Reactions: Eli

Eli

Banned
Reaction score

It definitely added to the fun and excitement! I always appreciate all the insight everyone has to offer. Hopefully, you will all be back in 2 weeks!

I don't like the bi-weekly schedule! It's been falling on my busy weekend!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli

Banned
Reaction score
Still working on my hangover for tomorrow. Probably not a good idea though. I like seeing new faces to BRing, be fun to see more faces in Vegas, it could be epic.

It really would be!!! Gramps is definitely on my list of people I want to see there...as well as everyone else, but he's gonna get a million questions from Eli :D

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything yet

Sent from my Bat Cave

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I have a question for Gramps.

I thought it was interesting that with all the history on clutches yesterday they never mentioned Gene Snow.

Its pretty much common knowledge that all the fuel cars (TF and FC) do not use transmissions, and the clutch progresses through stages until reaching full lock up and 1/1 ratio at the big end.

But it wasn't always like that. I remember the endless work that Gene Snow "Snowman" put into making that work, and the endless mocking he endured from the racers.

Wasn't it at the Gatornats one year when Snow went like 5.001 and just missed being first into the 4's??
Or was that Amato after he went with Snows set up??

I do remember that at the next race, virtually every TF car had "high gear only" and staged clutch.
The funny cars all had transmissions still, but one car.
THAT Funny car went down the track in Q1 and pasted the field.
I recall the ESPN guy showing every team dropping the gearboxes onto the ground and switching setups that day. There has never been a transmission a fuel car since.

So, can you recall who went 5.001 with clutch only at Gainsville? I think it may have been Amato? I do remember that it was a sure fire 4 second pass except the throttle cable broke.

And the next race what FC was it that tried that set up and made it work?

Memory was sometimes cloudy back then!!:eek

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
gene.jpg

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
So, can you recall who went 5.001 with clutch only at Gainsville? I think it may have been Amato? I do remember that it was a sure fire 4 second pass except the throttle cable broke.

Don't bet on my answers on this..........life was a fog back then. Three names come to mind, Amato, Hill, Gwynn. Back then it seemed that every week a new idea was out about high gear only vs: the old Lenco transmission. We used to hate the 2 peen with the manual shifter. Billy Tidwell was driving our car when we put it in. From the stating line you would know exactly when he shifted..........the car always move left when he took his right hand off the wheel and grabbed the shift lever. In the late 80's we had already sold our car and spent some time working with and helping Gary Beck.

IN AWE

I'm surounded by assholes
Reaction score
Wasn't it at the Gatornats one year when Snow went like 5.001 and just missed being first into the 4's??
Or was that Amato after he went with Snows set up??

I believe you are referring to the 88 Supernats at Houston. Snow ran a sub 5 seconds run right off the trailer with the direct drive. Snow did back up the national record but lost it later that weekend to Eddie Hill. I do think at the next race everybody was running centrifical clutches.

Snow was the man that started messing with direct drive back in the early 70's when he was racing funny car. He and Crower came up with a 4 disc slipper.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I believe you are referring to the 88 Supernats at Houston. Snow ran a sub 5 seconds run right off the trailer with the direct drive. Snow did back up the national record but lost it later that weekend to Eddie Hill. I do think at the next race everybody was running centrifical clutches.

Snow was the man that started messing with direct drive back in the early 70's when he was racing funny car. He and Crower came up with a 4 disc slipper.

Thanks!!:thumbsup

I was referring to the race before that, I'm pretty sure it was Gainsville where he just missed due to a faulty throttle cable.
I remember watching Snow at that race. In the pits there was a mob around his car as it was clear that he had finally got it to work right, and one of the biggest advances in fuel racing was about to happen.

And then at Houston, as you stated, the transmissions hit the ground and every team made the switch.

Just thought it was odd that with all the clutch lessons yesterday, and the outstanding vintage footage and stories no mention of Gene Snow.

I used to love his cars appearance. So clean, with black and white contrasts.
I've got some great 35mm blow up pics framed of his car.
One day I'm going to dig them out of storage.
Anyway, more trivia from years ago!

Makes me want to dig out my Ormsby hats!!

Eli

Banned
Reaction score
When did it become cool to be "older" :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

IN AWE

I'm surounded by assholes
Reaction score
Thanks!!:thumbsup

I was referring to the race before that, I'm pretty sure it was Gainsville where he just missed due to a faulty throttle cable.

Cool, I had to cheat and look this up. Not sure if it is the one but, that year at the U.S. Nationals Snow ran a 5.006 and didn't back it up???

At the Gators earlier that year Eddie Hill ran a 5.066

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Cool, I had to cheat and look this up. Not sure if it is the one but, that year at the U.S. Nationals Snow ran a 5.006 and didn't back it up???

At the Gators earlier that year Eddie Hill ran a 5.066

I probably have my time line mixed up as far as races!
Like Gramps said....it seems kind of blurry!

Sure that was the year though. Snow changed the face of fuel with the staged clutch.

Eli

Banned
Reaction score
Just a warning...now that The Bar is deleted I'm posting pics here :D

ydy9yzuh.jpg

Sent from my Bat Cave