WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

NHRA winter nationals

fishing fool

Reaction score
Who is going this weekend? The wife and I will be there Sunday (rained out last year). On my way to work this morning the lights were on and they are all set up.....

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Got our tickets lol

IMG_2601.jpg

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We are thinking of heading out on Sunday.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
We'll be there Sat as we had previous plans for Sunday. 11 of us in section 3 rows 15 & 16.
It will be the 35th year for the wife and I...our first date was the winter nationals on Feb 3, 1985.

73beast

Reaction score
5day weather forcast says chance of rain on sunday...

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
View attachment 842582 Another year of Quality NHRA Live Streaming

Do they have a lot of issues with that? I’m just getting ready to turn off cable and was going to get a subscription to NHRA and MotorTrend, that’s all I ever watch anyway.

Bad call or should I just live with it? I’ve done just audio streaming while in the garage but not video.

Either way, I’m ready for this season to start!

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Only 10 T/F cars registered...?

NHRA is going in the direction of NASCAR= NOT GOOD. I don't know if it is the younger generation is NOT interested in these sports or the sponsorship is difficult to obtain. The ticket pricing. Maybe the younger people are content to sit on their ass and play video games and eat Shit!!:confused:

nowski

Reaction score
I hate the smell of coffee in the morning when the Nitro Circus is in town...

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I don't know what company you work for but I sure do like the perks...

It’s a very special organization that goes above and beyond to take care of its employees. A byproduct of that approach is that the employees will take care of the customer.

I got tasked with organizing the fun part lol

I appreciate the kind words [emoji106]

nowski

Reaction score
It’s a very special organization that goes above and beyond to take care of its employees. A byproduct of that approach is that the employees will take care of the customer.

I got tasked with organizing the fun part lol

I appreciate the kind words [emoji106]

Company Name Harrington by any chance. There another company that takes care of their staff and customers...

rrrr

Reaction score
Only 10 T/F cars registered...?

Holy crap...at some point last year I posted about the bottom six or seven being names I'd never heard of, now it sounds like there's a hole in the bottom of the ship.

I know I'll sound like one of those guys, but things began to go to shit with 1,000' racing. The fans didn't like it, and NHRA's claim it would reduce costs was stupid. The shorter track made every .0005 second gain important, and the teams have had to spend shitloads of money for each one of those half thousandths. Every run breaks parts, it's just a matter of how bad it'll be.

The NHRA talked about going to smaller fuel pumps and single mags in 2008, but that went nowhere.

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Company Name Harrington by any chance. There another company that takes care of their staff and customers...

No sir it’s not Harrington but they sound like they have an awesome culture too.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Holy crap...at some point last year I posted about the bottom six or seven being names I'd never heard of, now it sounds like there's a hold in the bottom of the ship.

I know I'll sound like one of those guys, but things began to go to shit with 1,000' racing. The fans didn't like it, and NHRA's claim it would reduce costs was stupid. The shorter track made every .0005 second gain important, and the teams have had to spend shitloads of money for each one of those half thousandths. Every run breaks parts, it's just a matter of how bad it'll be.

The NHRA talked about going to smaller fuel pumps and single mags in 2008, but that went nowhere.

1000’ racing happens to coincide with the recession; the norm previous to that was to set them on kill, parts be damned, and there weren’t oil down points then either.

All Motorsports in general are struggling, between companies not having the sponsorship dollars they used to, environmental sympathy, to waning generational interest.

NHRA isn’t perfect, but I feel it’s a pretty good bang for the buck for the fans. That being said, the new time format at the track turns me off because now if you want to go back in the pits between rounds you’re going to miss some Pro class racing, and I follow all of the classes all year long. I certainly understand the need to condense it for television, and I enjoy the benefits from home for sure.

On my bucket list when I retire (someday) is to go to every track. So far I’ve been to Brainerd, Denver, Las Vegas, Chicago, Gainesville and Atlanta.

bobbytheboozer

resident boozer
Reaction score
I'd love to make it out this weekend but I have work and a birthday party to go to on Saturday.

Loony Toon

Reaction score
Do they have a lot of issues with that? I’m just getting ready to turn off cable and was going to get a subscription to NHRA and MotorTrend, that’s all I ever watch anyway.

Bad call or should I just live with it? I’ve done just audio streaming while in the garage but not video.

Either way, I’m ready for this season to start!

Every race, sometimes worse than others.
Yesterday it never was right. Called to complain but never heard back.

JM21

Reaction score
I think there’s 15 long cars there.

15 is better then 10 but I still hope it’s not true.

Someone please report later on number of fuel cars at qualifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Slick

Reaction score
According to NHRA.com there are 14 TF cars as Scott Palmer has withdrawn.

17 FC cars as Jeff Diehl has withdrawn.

20 PS cars.

Plus Nostalgia TF, FC and PS running full 1/4 mile.

Weather looks awesome, should be a great day out there.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
BTW, NHRA.TV is working better than ever today. Hope I didn't just jinx it, but it really is worth it to be able to watch every single run, every single day of the event in the comfort of your own home. Plus you don't have to listen to Tony Pedregon...haha!

Nordie

Reaction score
Wow the stands look empty, only 13 TF Cars?

jones performance

Reaction score
i generally enjoyed saturday there, but it was because i was spending time with my nephew

q3 on saturday was rough. there were only 2 or 3 pairs that made it down the track side by side for fuel. i didnt stick around for q4.

both jeg caughlin and jason line retiring end of season.

my thoughts, to expensive to attend pomona. had in not gotten tickets from a friend i wouldnt have gone. id pay for vegas races as i feel im getting what i pay for there. food prices were ridiculous as well. 16 bucks for a shitty basic burger.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
My grandfather on my dad's side (far left), my uncle (on far right, my fathers brother) and driver Tony Benedetto. Don't know the tech's name in the middle (looks like Mike maybe?).

They won the first Winter Nats in 1961 in B gas dragster.
20170926_202644.jpg

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
i generally enjoyed saturday there, but it was because i was spending time with my nephew

q3 on saturday was rough. there were only 2 or 3 pairs that made it down the track side by side for fuel. i didnt stick around for q4.

both jeg caughlin and jason line retiring end of season.

my thoughts, to expensive to attend pomona. had in not gotten tickets from a friend i wouldnt have gone. id pay for vegas races as i feel im getting what i pay for there. food prices were ridiculous as well. 16 bucks for a shitty basic burger.
I went online to look at prices about 2 weeks ago , as I went to close site window , a notice came on screen alerting me to discount on tics !

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My grandfather on my dad's side (far left), my uncle (on far right, my fathers brother) and driver Tony Benedetto. Don't know the tech's name in the middle (looks like Mike maybe?).

They won the first Winter Nats in 1961 in B gas dragster.
View attachment 843912
As the costs have become out of control for most of us, I see a pic like this, and think of what I missed. I was born too late. I grew up 5 miles from Pomona, and started going about '89. Eddie and Ercie Hill, Prudhomme, McCullough...
Then my world turned towards old cars. Hearing stories of the pump house just to the east of the left lane, A gas, B gas and roadster classes too. Keep pics like these alive. These may be reasons to move the sport back to it's roots. 330mph is cool, and a feat of mechanical engineering. Guys going 100-150mph in something like the above, is also impressive. Built and tuned in a garage, towed to the track on a homebuilt trailer behind a pickup or station wagon. All done by guys that went back to their jobs on Mondays.