WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Nigerian dwarf, Pygmy goats, silkie chicks

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
so I know it’s a long shot but with this board anything is worth a try... Christmas is fast approaching and this year I think I want to buy either Pygmy or Nigerian dwarf goats for the boys. Looking for somewhere local to norco, preferably a breeder. We’ve been told we shouldn’t get the chicks till around April otherwise I’ll have to raise them inside and I’m not sure I want to try that. Any information anyone has will also be appreciated. The house is set up for goats so they will be in the very back pen. I can post some pictures later for any other advice on their living area. Chickens have a separate pen w a coup. I’ll post pics of that in a bit too. I think the last pen was set up for sheep so maybe I’ll get a sheep too. Also looking for turtles. I’ll take a picture of where they were living as well. There’s also a compost box. What’s the idea of one of those?

Backlash

Reaction score
Go for the goats. Then you wont have to rake any leaves or pull any weeds. Those little bastards will eat everything in site! Less work for you! :D

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
@RiverDave They are supposed to be really good pets and they are good egg layers looking for a rooster or two as well but I heard those get mean if you don’t raise them right
72BEBEEF-4FB6-45A3-BAA4-D976480F7162.png

Essexive G's

Reaction score
Lol the jokes have been rolling in. Everyone keeps asking me what the best knee high cowboy boots are. I’m not sure I get it but I’m sure there’s something behind that one too.

If you moved to Oklahoma, where the men are horny and the sheep are scared, you’d understand the knee high boot reference.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Goats can be mean and more importantly, they will eat everything is sight. On the plus side, they can have really cool personalities and be quite entertaining.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
They're nowhere near as mean as your neighbours are going to be when these roosters wake everyone in the neighbourhood up at 4:00AM every morning.
My neighbor has two. They start at about 330am I think. They don’t wake me up but once I’m up I hear them.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Just remember, whatever you get, they will need to be fed and taken care of daily for years and years. Vet bills too.
Why do I say this? At first, it’s great! Everyone is onboard and eager to do everything. Then the novelty wears off and specially with your busy work schedule, your stuck doing everything. When kids get older, with their school, sports and social schedules, they don’t have time for these animals. Another big thing is when you go on vacation and go out of town, someone needs take care of all these animals. It’s cost $40+ a day for someone to come over and take care of these animals.

C-2

Reaction score
We have 2 Nigerians and 1 Boer. The Nigerian's are a nice size, the Boer is large and aggressive when it's feeding time.

In August my neighbors Mastiff/Boxer mix attacked the goats. It was brutal and sad to see them so torn up. In fact, if I had .22 rounds I would have shot two of them as I didn't think they would survive. Then, we couldn't find a vet who would treat them (they are considered a "food" item), so we bought shit tons of Vetricyn gel spray and Penicillin for fish that we put into the water. Within the past month they have healed as much as they ever will - one of the Nigerians still has a hole in her nasal passage on the side of her face and her jaw is not aligned to the roof of her mouth properly; her teeth are always exposed. The only reason I tell you this is to demonstrate the resiliency of the goats - they're pretty f*in tough. One thing you'll discover as a farm animal owner - YOU are pretty much the vet; get used to it.

True, they everything in sight but only if you don't feed them. Once they are on a regular feeding routine they can care less about weeds (at least ours are that way). We feed them the same pellets we feed the horses - Sacate Bermuda Blend that you can find at eany feed store. We also give them a scoop of LMF Senior Horse as a treat - but I'm pretty sure that's why they are overweight. You can also feed them hay, but we switched our horses to pellets over 20 years ago and they are healthy and fat. The pellet bags are more manageable, and cleaner, than bales of hay.

You can find the goats on the cheap upon on Edison in Ontario, just turn left (West) on Edison from Archibald and you will run across a couple of Rancheros that sell goats. Keep in mind they sell them for BBQ's, so taking the little ones could be tough. And turn your head when you drive by the veal farm. Also, I imagine they are not vaccinated in any shape or form, if that's even a requirement(?).

Chickens, I'll save that story for part II. It's alove/hate relationship and they require a surprising amount of work to keep them healthy and alive. Bu y the fish Penicillin now, lol.

The goats are fun, you guys will love them, and they make good company for the horse you will soon buy... :)

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
The guy next door has 4 ( 3- f/1m) 400$ obo ( cedar city , ut )

nrbr

Reaction score
Join the face groups news for norco and norco uncensored. People are nuts for that kind of shit. Guy on 5th st also sells them I believe.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
We have 2 Nigerians and 1 Boer. The Nigerian's are a nice size, the Boer is large and aggressive when it's feeding time.

In August my neighbors Mastiff/Boxer mix attacked the goats. It was brutal and sad to see them so torn up. In fact, if I had .22 rounds I would have shot two of them as I didn't think they would survive. Then, we couldn't find a vet who would treat them (they are considered a "food" item), so we bought shit tons of Vetricyn gel spray and Penicillin for fish that we put into the water. Within the past month they have healed as much as they ever will - one of the Nigerians still has a hole in her nasal passage on the side of her face and her jaw is not aligned to the roof of her mouth properly; her teeth are always exposed. The only reason I tell you this is to demonstrate the resiliency of the goats - they're pretty f*in tough. One thing you'll discover as a farm animal owner - YOU are pretty much the vet; get used to it.

True, they everything in sight but only if you don't feed them. Once they are on a regular feeding routine they can care less about weeds (at least ours are that way). We feed them the same pellets we feed the horses - Sacate Bermuda Blend that you can find at eany feed store. We also give them a scoop of LMF Senior Horse as a treat - but I'm pretty sure that's why they are overweight. You can also feed them hay, but we switched our horses to pellets over 20 years ago and they are healthy and fat. The pellet bags are more manageable, and cleaner, than bales of hay.

You can find the goats on the cheap upon on Edison in Ontario, just turn left (West) on Edison from Archibald and you will run across a couple of Rancheros that sell goats. Keep in mind they sell them for BBQ's, so taking the little ones could be tough. And turn your head when you drive by the veal farm. Also, I imagine they are not vaccinated in any shape or form, if that's even a requirement(?).

Chickens, I'll save that story for part II. It's alove/hate relationship and they require a surprising amount of work to keep them healthy and alive. Bu y the fish Penicillin now, lol.

The goats are fun, you guys will love them, and they make good company for the horse you will soon buy... :)
Lol at first it was “no, no we don’t need horses” now it’s been “well the kids would really love them and I could ride with Amy(the neighbor)” so it sounds like horses will be in the future. Going to be some money and work to set up for horses so I’m guessing at least 5 years out. I’m hoping the can just ride the neighbors horses. Both neighbors have horses and both husbands tell me no one ever rides them anymore. We absolutely love being here though so cool even to just see the neighbors horses everyday
image.jpg
image.jpg

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
So here some pics... the goats will be going here in the very back. Looks like my fence is set up perfect to catch all the tumble weeds coming off the hill :rolleyes:
5659A026-653B-4967-933D-ED820ACC1C70.jpeg
BBECF6D2-70FA-4C90-A18E-CABEE33D7BA7.jpeg
this is the compost box or what I was told anyways...
7C990D42-9017-490A-A443-C975752DE443.jpeg
pretty sure I was told sheep were living in this pen
525F0022-B095-47F6-B513-352C03D52FCB.jpeg
The silkies will be living here, I need to clean the inside but I’m not sure how so I’ll have to figure it out. Since RD was the first to ask about the chickens I’m going to name the first cock River Dave.
4A55BB08-FFD5-48F4-B3D9-4042F615CFC8.jpeg
196DD578-47A3-480F-A0FF-17D9C9C77E6B.jpeg
I was told either 2 big turtles or tortoise were living in here. I heard they go for thousands so I’m going to have to start with babies
9B3EF99F-67AE-4191-93EB-4E1FBC3B805A.jpeg
Right now the deal is the outbuilding and this area behind it are all mine to do what I please. If we get horses I suppose I’m tearing out all the concrete and they are living here o_O
3329DD9B-A4B9-48AB-9D65-D477D121D9A6.jpeg

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
here in the middle of nowhere southern Utah it seems almost everyone has goats........never understood why
We don’t ,why I don’t know , we have horses, cows, chickens, dogs .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have family in Acton that has property like yours. They have had, goats, chicken, horses, you name it.

The have one dog now.

Just sayin...

:)

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have family in Acton that has property like yours. They have had, goats, chicken, horses, you name it.

The have one dog now.

Just sayin...

:)
My hope is that I can use the land and animals to teach the boys a good work ethic. I don’t mind buying anything that they ask for but I want them to know it’s not all fun and games. That having nice things and having fun comes as a result of hard work. If they want an allowance or extra spending money I can’t be wasting it on a gardener or animal hand.

C-2

Reaction score
You have a great place. The goat pen is perfect, they like to climb and that hard pack granite will help keep their hooves in check. Our goats use everything as a scratching post - keep an eye on the chainlink fencing. I used aviary wire to line a pipe corral and they have destroyed the wire by rubbing up against it.

On the horses, try them out first. My wife is into the horses and has continuously owned at least two of them her entire life. My daughter started riding/competing in barrel racing at age 8, but at age 15.5 she is over it and doesn't even ride anymore. When you have a place where you can keep a horse they are not cost prohibitive; it's the time to care for them and the worry that I 'm not crazy about. That, and it hurts when you are thrown, or fall off, or are kicked by your horse. :eek:

I grew up on 2 acres with pigs and cows raised for slaughter, a huge vegetable garden, and every type of bird imaginable. Watching my pops I learned about hard work (trenching, planting trees, fixing irrigation, building/repairing sheds etc) and fixing things yourself. To this day it still kills me to pay anybody to do anything; I'll figure it out myself. Your boys will learn that too and it will stay with them for life.

C2<--- up at 4:15 am and feeding by 5:00 a.m.; rinse and repeat at 5:00 p.m. Urban Cowboy :D

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You want these animals and you work 6 days a week and also work out of town? It’s your life but a happy wife is a happy life. My wife wouldn’t be happy.

FYI: chickens bring lots of bug and you will need to watch out for the pecking order. They will turn on the week one and kill it. One of my employees lives in norco and has done it all. Now not so much. Takes LOTS of work.

thedan

Reaction score
Lol at first it was “no, no we don’t need horses” now it’s been “well the kids would really love them and I could ride with Amy(the neighbor)” so it sounds like horses will be in the future. Going to be some money and work to set up for horses so I’m guessing at least 5 years out. I’m hoping the can just ride the neighbors horses. Both neighbors have horses and both husbands tell me no one ever rides them anymore. We absolutely love being here though so cool even to just see the neighbors horses everyday View attachment 701653 View attachment 701654
It’s great when your boys learn about the birds and the bees from the horses humping next door!:) Happened at my place! Also, animals don’t like all those fireworks you posted in the past!!!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My hope is that I can use the land and animals to teach the boys a good work ethic. I don’t mind buying anything that they ask for but I want them to know it’s not all fun and games. That having nice things and having fun comes as a result of hard work. If they want an allowance or extra spending money I can’t be wasting it on a gardener or animal hand.

Outstanding.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Goats are a good start before horses. Kids have to be around them frequently, or they can get moody. We currently have 22 chickens, 2 horses and 3 dogs. Horses get bored...when they get bored, they break shit. It's nice if you can have a good turnout for them. As for chickens, silkies are pretty, but a damned winged cat. They don't train well and aren't egg producers...kind of like feeding a feather duster. They take time, all farm creatures. Being at the river takes time and money as well. It looks like you live with animal neighbors close by, so that helps out. Just know that there will be an added surcharge per river trip, have to kick down to the kid next door. Whatever you do, don't end up like those people in Norco 10 or so years ago...bunches of people turn their animals loose when times got tight. It was like a farm infestation. Some took in strays, I even hauled some for people. It's adding to your family, think of it that way, and you're good.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
You want these animals and you work 6 days a week and also work out of town? It’s your life but a happy wife is a happy life. My wife wouldn’t be happy.

FYI: chickens bring lots of bug and you will need to watch out for the pecking order. They will turn on the week one and kill it. One of my employees lives in norco and has done it all. Now not so much. Takes LOTS of work.
I know but I figure I’ve always wanted to try it and you only live once. If I were in the field 6 days a week I don’t think I could pull it off. Being on the instructor side this will probably help keep me a little more active because I’m just getting fat. I’m not really afraid of hard work so we’ll see how long I can do it. Just watering the property is quite the job. Our neighbors have older boys so we’ve already talked about them watching the animals while we are at the river. All the neighbors are great. Very very welcoming

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Goats are a good start before horses. Kids have to be around them frequently, or they can get moody. We currently have 22 chickens, 2 horses and 3 dogs. Horses get bored...when they get bored, they break shit. It's nice if you can have a good turnout for them. As for chickens, silkies are pretty, but a damned winged cat. They don't train well and aren't egg producers...kind of like feeding a feather duster. They take time, all farm creatures. Being at the river takes time and money as well. It looks like you live with animal neighbors close by, so that helps out. Just know that there will be an added surcharge per river trip, have to kick down to the kid next door. Whatever you do, don't end up like those people in Norco 10 or so years ago...bunches of people turn their animals loose when times got tight. It was like a farm infestation. Some took in strays, I even hauled some for people. It's adding to your family, think of it that way, and you're good.
Sounds like I need to do a little more research. I was told silkies are what I wanted. My wife is an animal person so these animals will be in good hands. I know it’s going to be a ton of work but hopefully a little fun too

lebel409

Reaction score
Silkies are just a fuzzy chicken..get a guinea hen, badass! Some peacocks are cool also.

Go out to Parker and get a burro, same deal as a goat and free.

branier

Reaction score
I have been around two goats, owned one horse and still have 4 chickens so I am going to speak to working with those animals only.

Horses are like dogs, you have to feed twice and clean at least once everyday. Another poster is also right, horses tend to break shit, or break themselves somehow so there is always some sort of vet bill for wounds, sickness etc or bills for repairs. You can't just throw them some hay and a water trough and ignore them for days or you ( and your wallet too) will regret it. My honest advice is if you have zero experience with horses, I would stay away from them at first. They are big animals that are usually not aggressive, that can hurt or kill you easily just from trying to run away because they are scared or annoyed.

Goats seem cool at first, but they are social animals and need interaction everyday as well or they become bossy or aggressive. They are also destructive intentionally, they become bored much faster than horses so they entertain themselves by playing with (destroying) everything they can. It is hard to find any vet or farrier to work with them, because they are difficult to handle in those ways. They do like to climb so make sure you don't put their house near the fence because you will have loose goats in no time. Their poop is hard to clean up as well, and the kids that took care of the two goats that lived with my horse would give up cleaning about 1/2 through because of that. That turned into more work for me, since they lived with my horse.

Chickens seem great to have, I have 4 and we get more than enough eggs during the summer for myself and my husband. They only lay for about 7 months then take the winter off, unless you put them under lights. We have one that lays blue eggs, and that goes over well with the neighbors when you give them the extras - everyone digs having blue shelled eggs! You will be giving your neighbors eggs because chickens are NOISY and most often at dawn. I am telling you, chickens can make such loud annoying screeches, they sound like dinasours or some other demonic creature! I have to get up EVERYDAY at dawn to feed them or they won't keep quiet. I feel for my neighbors when we go away, because I am sure they are super loud (hence the peace offerings of eggs). They are also messy, they do tend to attract flies and ants, but other bugs won't be a problem as they will eat most other bugs. There is a lot they can't eat, so certain table scraps are ok but not everything. Oh, and you don't need a rooster to get eggs, so unless you want chicks you can skip the rooster (you will be thankful for that later).

All that being said, owning animals is rewarding and can be fun. I love hanging out back watching my chickens root around making cooing noises while enjoying an adult beverage. My horse was a big part of my lifestyle for 15 years, and was one of my best friends. My horse just passed away 2 months ago, and while I miss him I will admit I am also enjoying the time I have to myself now as well as the extra $$$. The goats, eh I could take them or leave them but they were fun to walk on leashes around the trails sometimes. Animals are a commitment and work, so be honest about what *you* can balance because your kids may loose interest and someone will have to take care of them until you can re-home them.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I could have swore we talked about waiting till April. Oh shit
0B1F50B2-E60B-4551-9CDA-17A75FE2AE1F.jpeg
6DB54DAA-4C05-4B08-818E-8B73A41173FE.jpeg
290752AB-4F75-4E68-A2A7-DAFF3DCEB3D2.jpeg
I guess I’m he proud owner of 8 little fuckers

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
So it’s 2 lavender Orpington, 4 silkies, 2 golden laced Wyandotte’s

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Good God man what have you done...??
This goes back a couple years to when I said I do I’m starting to get myself used to the schedule. It sucks to go out back early when it’s cold, that’s probably what bothers me the most. Kind of sucks that I get home and it’s already dark, so I’ll be feeding and watering in the dark and cold both times. I think maybe California passed the no more daylight savings thing so maybe eventually that will help? I dunno. I’m really really trying to get one more little promotion and end up working in ontario or riverside which either one would help with my drive time. We’ll see. Unfortunately my temper still gets the best of me sometimes and ultimately hurts me. Boss sat me down and told me one of the guys tattled on me. Said I hurt his feelings and I make him feel like a little kid when I talk to him. I did lose my temper and I did say some mean things to him. All true but I shouldn’t have gone that far. Boss said I can’t make you a coordinator if I’m afraid you’re going to be going off on people. He’s right and I know it. I’m trying to fix it but some people just really drive me crazy. I have some kind of problem

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I remember when we bought our 4 acres in Anderson. Had cross fenced pasture, barn, goat pens and stables, horse feeder stations and all set up for various livestock including a chicken pen, and even a vet set up in one of the stable buildings complete with fridge and hypodermic medicines.

Debs Kids wanted a horse and chickens minimum.
I put the kabosh on that idea immediately. They couldn’t even take care of a dog properly and they wanted a horse?
I’ve spent a lot of time as a teen on my uncles and cousins various farms in Ohio. I know, somewhat, what it takes to PROPERLY care for farm type animals.

Your boys are younger so you might be able to get them in the loop better.
I wish you the best of luck V, get those boys on board fast or you will really be having temper problems in short order!
Animals like that require daily attention. Every day. No slacking.
Horses are the worst, they simply can not be ignored like a cat.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Ok so the chickens are getting big... fast... that’s good though because soon enough I can move them out of my house. We found a place in norco called amber waves. Pretty cool set up they have there. We went to look at some goats today after breakfast. Well I thought we were just looking anyways. The kids lit up. It was the cutest thing you’ll ever see. So naturally I pulled out my wallet and handed over my money. I wanted them for Christmas so they will hold them for me till it gets a little closer. They don’t have names yet but
285AEB72-10B4-4756-8401-833E05B1082C.jpeg
123BFEE7-DC38-4333-85A4-89D72D810CF7.jpeg

NicPaus

Reaction score
$800 For a goat? You should of bought 1 not castrated and a few females. Make that mortgage payment letting them breed like rabbits. :) 5 goats are cheaper than 1 horse and you would be making money.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I just looked Murray McMurray hatchery still in business. Used to order a whole variety of chickens from them. We had 5 horses 50+ chickens and a mini farm of all types of other animals growing up.

C-2

Reaction score
Go check out the mini-Mule at 7th and Pedley.

You'll be in a heap of shit if you do...he's pretty cute.

I pass that guy on the way home from work every day and he's establishing more than a few fans.

We saw one at Mike's auction for $1100 (Mike's is in Mira Loma, 2nd Saturday of the month)