WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Nissan Dealer service ... or lack thereof

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I took our ‘06 350z in for the 60k service at Thoroughbred Nissan . I requested that in addition to the coolant and brake flush to also change the fluid for the power steering and manual transmission.

Everything goes smooth, takes about 3 hours as promised. I drop almost $800 and go on my merry way. I get home and decide to pop the hood and see how it all looks. Everything looks good except my coolant bottle is empty. Damn! it’s 30 miles to take it back, so I go to Autozone and buy a gallon. It takes about 4 Cups to get it to the level.

So Annoying...

Anderson Nissan in Havasu sucks also BTW. I took the car there once and they gave me a laundry list of things they said were wrong, that actually weren’t. Then they sent me a low ball offer letter in the mail to purchase my low mile cream puff.

Anybody know a good independent like Robinson’s Automotive out here in Tucson?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I took our ‘06 350z in for the 60k service at Thoroughbred Nissan . I requested that in addition to the coolant and brake flush to also change the fluid for the power steering and manual transmission.

Everything goes smooth, takes about 3 hours as promised. I drop almost $800 and go on my merry way. I get home and decide to pop the hood and see how it all looks. Everything looks good except my coolant bottle is empty. Damn! it’s 30 miles to take it back, so I go to Autozone and buy a gallon. It takes about 4 Cups to get it to the level.

So Annoying...

Anderson Nissan in Havasu sucks also BTW. I took the car there once and they gave me a laundry list of things they said were wrong, that actually weren’t. Then they sent me a low ball offer letter in the mail to purchase my low mile cream puff.

Anybody know a good independent like Robinson’s Automotive out here in Tucson?
I'll ask around at work. I think we have a pretty good shop that handles all of our out of warranty work (fleet of about 30 trucks)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Anybody shop for coolant recently?

Green, red, blue. There’s a ton of choices.

Nissan uses blue and it says not to mix them. Toyota uses red. Another jug to keep In the garage.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Anybody shop for coolant recently?

Green, red, blue. There’s a ton of choices.

Nissan uses blue and it says not to mix them. Toyota uses red. Another jug to keep In the garage.

Dont forget orange..lol

Crazy thing is if you mix them, even green to green from different manufacturers the shit will turn to jelly.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Makes me appreciate when I wrenched on my own stuff for years.
Now it’s too much hassle getting rid of the fluids. My low profile aluminum racing jack isn’t getting much use these days.

59FF563E-39B5-4356-9AEA-579122200DEE.jpeg

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
If it needs that little, some distilled water will be fine. You don’t need a 50/50 mix of coolant in Tucson anyway.

There is actually a few of them that you should not add distilled water to because it will promote electrolysis and will destroy aluminum parts.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
There is actually a few of them that you should not add distilled water to because it will promote electrolysis and will destroy aluminum parts.

That is true, but that vintage 350Z does not use that type of coolant.

Taboma

Reaction score
That is true, but that vintage 350Z does not use that type of coolant.

Please share with the class, who does and what's the coolant.
Since distilled water is an electrical insulator, I'm just curious how it would act as a conductor or cause a chemical change in the solution, causing the coolant to become a conductor --- which I'm assuming is the culprit.

BONER

Reaction score
Call Phil @ Randall Automotive.

520-622-8670

I wrote Service at a Nissan Store 2013-2015. Can't for the Life of me remember what Coolant goes in your Car, but Phil will know.

Tell that Fucker Boner said hey. :)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Please share with the class, who does and what's the coolant.
Since distilled water is an electrical insulator, I'm just curious how it would act as a conductor or cause a chemical change in the solution, causing the coolant to become a conductor --- which I'm assuming is the culprit.

There is waterless coolant you don’t add any water to at all. I figured that is what he was referring to. That type of coolant does prevent corrosion. Adding tap water will make the solution more conducive, but to your point distilled shouldn’t.

Taboma

Reaction score
There is waterless coolant you don’t add any water to at all. I figured that is what he was referring to. That type of coolant does prevent corrosion. Adding tap water will make the solution more conducive, but to your point distilled shouldn’t.

Thanks, wasn't familiar with the Evans Waterless Coolant. Would seem it's another trade-off of sorts --- isn't everything ? 🤔
Less corrosion potential but slower rate of heat exchange, so you'll probably run hotter. I'm not sure electrolysis would result from adding distilled, but obviously it would defeat the product's intended purpose. I know with the 5.0 M-Miata, despite the large custom aluminum radiator, I was using RedLine water wetter and less anti-freeze trying to keep temps down.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Thanks, wasn't familiar with the Evans Waterless Coolant. Would seem it's another trade-off of sorts --- isn't everything ? 🤔
Less corrosion potential but slower rate of heat exchange, so you'll probably run hotter. I'm not sure electrolysis would result from adding distilled, but obviously it would defeat the product's intended purpose. I know with the 5.0 M-Miata, despite the large custom aluminum radiator, I was using RedLine water wetter and less anti-freeze trying to keep temps down.

In the RX7 I run about 1/2 gallon of coolant, some water wetter and the rest distilled water. I’ve never had cooling issues but it has a pretty large radiator. I’m probably at 20% coolant 80% water.

I have never ran the Evans stuff personally but I’ve heard it works, just too many compromises for me.

From what I hear you run slightly higher than normal temps, but it stays more consistent.

I’m not sure on the electrolysis part either, I’ve always filled up with distilled, but the lay person or someone in an emergency does not always do that.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Nissan/Datsun/Ram Chrysler never found good service.

Taboma

Reaction score
In the RX7 I run about 1/2 gallon of coolant, some water wetter and the rest distilled water. I’ve never had cooling issues but it has a pretty large radiator. I’m probably at 20% coolant 80% water.

I have never ran the Evans stuff personally but I’ve heard it works, just too many compromises for me.

From what I hear you run slightly higher than normal temps, but it stays more consistent.

I’m not sure on the electrolysis part either, I’ve always filled up with distilled, but the lay person or someone in an emergency does not always do that.

Yep, once I got the mixture closer to yours (70-30 if I recall), my temps even under heavy sustained 'Whipple' boost ran about 180 *. Obviously wasn't worried about freezing 😁

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Fluid changes and flushes often times get dispatched to the apprentices vs highly trained technicians.

guest hs

Reaction score
Sounds to me if they swapped the coolant out, they probably filled it and then it burped some air from it on your way home 4 cups isn't much not worth trashing a dealerships reputation over in my opinion.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I gave the dealer an honest review after they sent me a survey and the service manager sent an email and wants to make it right, not sure if want to take itI back, but we’ll see.

After driving it another few miles it’s between the Max and Min line now so it’s burped and probably good to go like namba mentioned.

Shit happens, like Zig said it’s not the master techs doing that work.

Maybe I should start opening the hood before I leave the service drive lol. I’m sure they will love that.

EBT531

Reaction score
It would bother me until I checked every other fluid they changed to see if its full or even changed. I took my Tundra in for the "free" oil change tire rotation etc.. Next day I checked the oil only to discover they never changed it!! Service manager really had no excuse. Made me remember why I do all my own work