WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

No Prep Kings

farmo83

Reaction score
I recently went to the No Prep Kings finals in Ennis. I get a lot of this is staged for TV but it was still more entertaining then the last few NHRA events I’ve been to.

I was impressed by how many people they had there. I watched the NHRA event that was televised from Ennis and the stands were way more packed at the NPK deal. My dad’s company used to sponsor a Top Fuel Car and no they don’t leave like that but those cars were leaving pretty hard.

I was also way impressed with the drivers. There was a rain delay and most of the drivers wandered down track, hopped the fence and spent the delay meeting the fans and shooting the breeze. I can’t see John Force ever doing anything like this.

I have no idea how far west they go but I would recommend anyone into drag cars to check it out. The tickets weren't that bad at all and they let us bring in beer.

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
I follow a few of these guys. I have always heard the drama in the pits and stuff is producers. But the racing is real. Some of those setups those guys have are crazy and crazy $$$.
I DVR it and fast forward through the BS.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Yea, seems EVERY “reality “ show needs drama. Lol. Like ya said.... damn good racing though.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The cars are a world away from 90's street racing. A few years back I helped put together a 90 something S10. It was a sbc, dart heads and a two stage setup. Trans braked Th400, leafsprings with some doodads and 10.5 slicks. That shitbox could pull tire!
Damn I felt old asking questions!

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I missed Tucson but hope to get there next year.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Tucson is as far west as they come. Be cool if they came to vegas?

They don’t leave like the top fuel because they aren’t running nitro and have half the tire and half the horsepower lol. As if 3000-4000 hp isnt enough lol

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
Alot of npk guys run Alan Johnson and Brad Anderson blocks and heads.
I see blower restraints, window nets, Hans devices. But yet they run an uncovered non blanketed transmission.

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
npk is different than the street stuff. yeah it is a tv show, but the racing is legit. when you got nhra guys like alex laughlin and stevie fast jackson trying to name their way into the invitational that tells you theres legit racing there. i think the big draw for alot of people to npk events is theres no huge corporate sponsers, and the "talent" pretty much are themselves, where asa in nhra you got huge corp sponsers and alot of drivers are spitshined and dont say whats really on their mind. i feel if they got away form that corporate nascar mentality their fanbase would improve. Clay millican is an example of one driver going out and being one with the people, going to street car events, cleetus events, npk events, big presence on social media and youtube and isnt alway just pushing sponsers on his media.

also the npk cars are no joke.. run 3.50's -4.0 190-225mph in the 1/8 is moving.
Mike Finnegan raced his UBFJ in Bakersfield this past weekend. He wrote a small thing up on Facebook about it. I noticed that one of the likes he got was from Clay Millican.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I see blower restraints, window nets, Hans devices. But yet they run an uncovered non blanketed transmission.
some cars are starting too. but the tranny holds well for the most part

proline is still motor of choice for alot fo them too

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
When the NHRA let the teams have unlimited budgets, the racing ended - it’s corporate advertising gone wild. I still watch, but it’s about who has the biggest budget, not who’s the best racer.

ChrisV

Reaction score
When the NHRA let the teams have unlimited budgets, the racing ended - its corporate advertising gone wild. I still watch, but it’s about who has the biggest budget, not who’s the best racer.
Why I don't care about the NHRA.

Love seeing the smaller guys instead. Especially the no prep small tire stuff.

timstoy

Reaction score
The transmission cases are aftermarket with internal shields and SFI approved. Same as NHRA.

Last edited:

farmo83

Reaction score
npk is different than the street stuff. yeah it is a tv show, but the racing is legit. when you got nhra guys like alex laughlin and stevie fast jackson trying to name their way into the invitational that tells you theres legit racing there. i think the big draw for alot of people to npk events is theres no huge corporate sponsers, and the "talent" pretty much are themselves, where asa in nhra you got huge corp sponsers and alot of drivers are spitshined and dont say whats really on their mind. i feel if they got away form that corporate nascar mentality their fanbase would improve. Clay millican is an example of one driver going out and being one with the people, going to street car events, cleetus events, npk events, big presence on social media and youtube and isnt alway just pushing sponsers on his media.

also the npk cars are no joke.. run 3.50's -4.0 190-225mph in the 1/8 is moving.
I agree about being themselves. In one of the meetings they broadcast two of the guys weren't getting along. They asked one of them about the other and his response was the other guy could eat his nuts and bet 10k on their next race.

Again I'm sure a lot of this is done up for TV but more entertaining and realistic then something that ends in thanking the sponsors.

Murder nova lost his motor. His reaction when he found out he lost compression in two cylinders was as real as it gets lol.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
I follow a few of these guys. I have always heard the drama in the pits and stuff is producers. But the racing is real. Some of those setups those guys have are crazy and crazy $$$.
I DVR it and fast forward through the BS.
3 hours of BS and an hours worth of racing. Drives me crazy 🤣

timstoy

Reaction score
When the NHRA let the teams have unlimited budgets, the racing ended - it’s corporate advertising gone wild. I still watch, but it’s about who has the biggest budget, not who’s the best racer.
No prep kings is getting the same way. When the show first started it was a group of guys from Oklahoma low budget street racers. Then it went to basically Pro Mod cars street racing. Then they backed them down to no Pro Mods. Now you have cars from all over the country running Pat Mussi nine hundred plus cubic inch nitrous motors and Pro Line blower motors that is out of reach for most racers.And a lot of No prep king cars are starting to have sponsors on the cars. I still like watching the show and I enjoy watching NHRA but no way could I compete with that level without serious sponsorship money.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Lizzy !!!
As long as she doesn’t talk.
BA8E41DD-456A-4A1D-BE3D-A10E0D28349D.jpeg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was also way impressed with the drivers. There was a rain delay and most of the drivers wandered down track, hopped the fence and spent the delay meeting the fans and shooting the breeze. I can’t see John Force ever doing anything like this.
I've been to many events when John pulls up to the stands on his scooter and comes up and meets people. This video is what he did after his 150th win. Instead of going to do the top end interview, this is what he did. Class act!

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

I have a guy up the street that runs a top sportsman car for his daughter, he thinks nhra won't survive the next 4 years. Other than the pro categories they get no track time and their entrance fee goes to the pros not the sportsmen. This has suxed he said almost no glue for track prep to be found.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
We’re going this next year for Tucson, i enjoy most the top guys, as well most the rest, however Robin Robert’s needs his fat face smashed in. He’s horrible for the show imho.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
We have a great time every year they come to our local track. The drivers are some of the most down to earth folks you’ll meet anywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_4001.MOV
    29.5 MB
  • IMG_3997.MOV
    35.5 MB
  • IMG_3995.MOV
    44 MB
  • 9FFC39E8-8DEF-42DA-B1F5-A703D418886F.jpeg
    9FFC39E8-8DEF-42DA-B1F5-A703D418886F.jpeg
    810.2 KB · Views: 26
  • CDD5F908-5E28-42ED-B0CD-F9F4EF4D86BB.jpeg
    CDD5F908-5E28-42ED-B0CD-F9F4EF4D86BB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3995.MOV
    44 MB

farmo83

Reaction score
I've been to many events when John pulls up to the stands on his scooter and comes up and meets people. This video is what he did after his 150th win. Instead of going to do the top end interview, this is what he did. Class act!

That's cool. I stand corrected

timstoy

Reaction score
I have a guy up the street that runs a top sportsman car for his daughter, he thinks nhra won't survive the next 4 years. Other than the pro categories they get no track time and their entrance fee goes to the pros not the sportsmen. This has suxed he said almost no glue for track prep to be found.
NHRA does cater to the pros. We ran Top Dragster for several years when the class started and the cars are running much faster now witch means more money to keep competitive. Then when LACR and Fontana closed down more money for travel to Sacramento, Las Vegas and maybe Famoso with there limited schedule. If you don’t get enough points you can’t run the Winternationals or the World finals if they even run your class. We sold the car and went GN racing for several years and the same problem of race sites closing down and personal and health problems led to the boat being sold also.

timstoy

Reaction score
And likewise he has helped make the NHRA wealthy with the decades of sponsorship he brought into the sport through the operation of his team and the entertainment he created.
Very true on all counts! I think Wally Parks and John Force had a close relationship.

Last edited:

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I better use the safe for work version !

Too bad kye Kelly cheated on her I saw a little thing on YouTube he got someone else prego
When did this happen? Her and Kye are still together and engaged to be married soon.

Your ad here

Reaction score
The words that come out of Jerry Bird and Bobby Ducote mouths are hilarious. Dominator is another character. Works so hard to get to the starting line and fumbles almost every time yet when it's a deal breaker race he seems to pull off a win. I would like to know what phrase is used more. Check the data or this is the fastest pass this car has made.

EPL

Reaction score

I don't think it's fair to call out John Force he is one the best NHRA drivers out there when it comes to being great with spectator !

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
The words that come out of Jerry Bird and Bobby Ducote mouths are hilarious. Dominator is another character. Works so hard to get to the starting line and fumbles almost every time yet when it's a deal breaker race he seems to pull off a win. I would like to know what phrase is used more. Check the data or this is the fastest pass this car has made.
or we "made a lick"