WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

No Satellite TV in Seattle?

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
How could there be when an kinda normal storm makes it unusable? Seriously. I live in SoCal. We have DirecTV. This storm, yesterday and today, knocks it out almost anytime rain is steady. And snow? Forget it. Had that issue in Big Bear. How does anyone where there's real weather live with it?

4Waters

Reaction score
I've had dish for 15 years and have never had my signal interrupted by any weather, thunderstorms, wind, rain nothing and I have the regular dish on my roof not the weather rated dish. I live in Simi Valley.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
In and out all day today. Whenever rained hard yesterday. So dumb.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
switch to youtube tv. cable and satelite is old.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Yeah.... but we're at the Landing when at the Riv. No Internet other than Cellular except for those Grandfathered in. Satellite is pretty much it. Normal dish, on the roof. Dunno how it could be the install as the angle of the dangle has to be right or it would never work. Right?

Taboma

Reaction score
Yeah.... but we're at the Landing when at the Riv. No Internet other than Cellular except for those Grandfathered in. Satellite is pretty much it. Normal dish, on the roof. Dunno how it could be the install as the angle of the dangle has to be right or it would never work. Right?

I've only experienced this once during a torrential lightning, thunder, downpour here in San Diego, moments later it was back. During the last storm a few weeks ago it acted up, but it was the entire HD uplink feed Directv had lost. I went to the menu, pulled up settings--- display ---- and switched it to allow SD programs to show, the SD channels were fine and we watched that for about 10 minutes and when I checked HD was back up.

We take our receiver with us to Havasu, we're on the island and receive Directv just fine ---- with one exception. Local San Diego "Spot" beam for HD programming isn't as broad as the SD spot beam, so we're right on the edge. During the day we can get HD San Diego local channels, but once the sun starts to go down, HD drops out and we can only get the programming in SD. We don't have this problem with national broadcasts, like SyFy, or AMC etc, only the San Diego Local channels. The dish aiming to get HD is much more precise, because it has to pick up more birds at different elevations and azmuth, so it's splitting the difference --- just cuz you get one bird great, doesn't mean another might be marginal.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I'm good at the Landing. I'm starting to think I must have a connection issue on the roof although I have seen this crap with the Motorhome (another reason for a satellite account) and with snow as I mentioned. There is no way they could sell what I am experiencing. Has been more off, than on, today.

Funny, local channels have been better than say CNN or FOX. Sadly, MSNBC has been better too. Grrr.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
It's called rain fade. I've installed thousands of satellites in the PNW and only experienced that during the worst down pours like oh shit I can't see the street anymore. I'm guessing your dish is maybe moving a little, not aimed very well and you may have some water intrusion on some connections if they are exposed. It's pretty sad how many butchered installs I saw and doubt it's got much better over the years.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll get up there tomorrow and tighten things up. I can re-aim if I have to. I've done that with a tripod on the ground.

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm good at the Landing. I'm starting to think I must have a connection issue on the roof although I have seen this crap with the Motorhome (another reason for a satellite account) and with snow as I mentioned. There is no way they could sell what I am experiencing. Has been more off, than on, today.

Funny, local channels have been better than say CNN or FOX. Sadly, MSNBC has been better too. Grrr.

Well just give me a call, then I can advise you to unplug it and then plug it back in --- fixes everything, LOL :p If it's more than that, sorry I can't help you ;)
Snow :confused: --- I have no idea WTF that is o_O

wzuber

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll get up there tomorrow and tighten things up. I can re-aim if I have to. I've done that with a tripod on the ground.
try some diaelectric grease on the cable and thread connection.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I basically have the same weather as Seattle. My Direct TV only goes out if its a major down pour or snow storm. My system is supposed to be in Eastern Washington State, the only problem I have is with HD channels. Most don't come in. Other then that Direct is pretty reliable for me.

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
How could there be when an kinda normal storm makes it unusable? Seriously. I live in SoCal. We have DirecTV. This storm, yesterday and today, knocks it out almost anytime rain is steady. And snow? Forget it. Had that issue in Big Bear. How does anyone where there's real weather live with it?
We have directv at home as well as at the Landing and never have an issue