WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

No VIN

stulzhouse

Reaction score
I have a trailer I got from my boyfriend Dad who has since passed but he had an old abandoned box trailer and there is no VIN. I'm in CA and was wondering if I go the route that is a homemade trailer do I have to put some homemade things on it? It's not a homemade trailer just abandoned 9 years ago

Backlash

Reaction score
I have a trailer I got from my boyfriend Dad who has since passed but he had an old abandoned box trailer and there is no VIN. I'm in CA and was wondering if I go the route that is a homemade trailer do I have to put some homemade things on it? It's not a homemade trailer just abandoned 9 years ago

No, I believe you would essentially register the trailer as a homemade trailer then have the VIN number assigned to that trailer. You don't need to put anything "Homemade" on the trailer.

Backlash

Reaction score
Just dont tow the trailer on any public roads until you have a VIN assigned and have it registered. Could cause other problems for you if stopped.

stulzhouse

Reaction score
(Find what type and make. Then you will find location of vin then maybe we can recommend someone)

It's a Pace America box trailer 12'x5'

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Lien it. Find a place that does this for you.

you will need some pretty heavy paperwork to come up with a home made believable story.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Find a cheap trailer w/ a title on Craigslist and drop it at the scrap yard on the way home…stamp the vin from the title in your trailer and go transfer the title.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
Find a cheap trailer w/ a title on Craigslist and drop it at the scrap yard on the way home…stamp the vin from the title in your trailer and go transfer the title.

I have never done this but if I did I would recommend to make sure it is of similar weight and axle count.

Slink

Tennessee Living
Reaction score
Don't do this....not worth it. It is a crime to alter/switch any V.I.N. Take it to your local CHP office and request a VIN verification. If they can not locate the VIN, they will assign a "Special Construction" VIN to the trailer and attach a blue VIN tag via rivets. You can then register/title it in your name.