ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
"tools not regularly found in a home"

a home of whom? a pansy?

81VKvS8VSfL._AC_SX425_.jpg

dribble

Reaction score
I support this law. This is and always was a huge problem in Sacramento with people not being able to park in front their houses because a neighbor (usually in a rental) is running an auto repair business/body shop out of their house. Compressors and air tools are going at all hours. The people doing this are typically immigrants from Eastern Europe. Zoning enforcement has no teeth. When I worked for BAR, we received complaints daily about this. We'd go out there and the street looked like a wrecking yard, with cars all over the yard in various states of repair. This rule will only be enforced in response to complaints from people who are negatively affected by it. I respect my neighbors. This week I will be doing a 4" lift on my Jeep, installing lockers in the differentials and changing gears. Nobody is going to turn me in and nobody is going to come out and tell me I'm breaking the law because I'll be doing it in my garage. My compressor and air tools will be running. My neighbor the CHP Officer will be working on his motorcycles as usual. It'll be OK. The sky is not falling.

4Waters

Reaction score
I support this law. This is and always was a huge problem in Sacramento with people not being able to park in front their houses because a neighbor (usually in a rental) is running an auto repair business/body shop out of their house. Compressors and air tools are going at all hours. The people doing this are typically immigrants from Eastern Europe. Zoning enforcement has no teeth. When I worked for BAR, we received complaints daily about this. We'd go out there and the street looked like a wrecking yard, with cars all over the yard in various states of repair. This rule will only be enforced in response to complaints from people who are negatively affected by it. I respect my neighbors. This week I will be doing a 4" lift on my Jeep, installing lockers in the differentials and changing gears. Nobody is going to turn me in and nobody is going to come out and tell me I'm breaking the law because I'll be doing it in my garage. My compressor and air tools will be running. My neighbor the CHP Officer will be working on his motorcycles as usual. It'll be OK. The sky is not falling.
The problem is Sacramento has gotten an inch and if you think it's gonna stop at an inch you're living under a rock. I mean, did you stop at just the tip?

Meaney77

Reaction score
I see both sides of the issue, but could be managed with an HOA. We dont live in an HOA but there are times I wish we did. I am not opposed to people working on their stuff as long as its within reason.

More government over reach....

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
We passed on a house in boulder city because it looked like the guy across the street was running a auto repair shop out of his house . No thanks

dribble

Reaction score
The problem is Sacramento has gotten an inch and if you think it's gonna stop at an inch you're living under a rock. I mean, did you stop at just the tip?

No I'm not. I live here. I worked in auto repair regulation for 30 years. Sacramento County is much more conservative than you might think. We have a great pro 2A elected Sheriff who was the first to come out and say he wasn't in business to enforce mask laws or business shutdown laws. The same Sheriff who has a shall issue CCW policy. The fact is that nobody is going to drive around looking for people working on their own cars or their friends cars. At BAR if I did that I would have gotten in trouble. In areas like North Highlands and Rio Linda the Russians have taken over. There are full on Body Shops running in neighborhoods. Some of the people living there are low income elderly. If they complain they are threatened and intimidated. Fuck those people. Let them go rent space.

4Waters

Reaction score
No I'm not. I live here. I worked in auto repair regulation for 30 years. Sacramento County is much more conservative than you might think. We have a great pro 2A elected Sheriff who was the first to come out and say he wasn't in business to enforce mask laws or business shutdown laws. The same Sheriff who has a shall issue CCW policy. The fact is that nobody is going to drive around looking for people working on their own cars or their friends cars. At BAR if I did that I would have gotten in trouble. In areas like North Highlands and Rio Linda the Russians have taken over. There are full on Body Shops running in neighborhoods. Some of the people living there are low income elderly. If they complain they are threatened and intimidated. Fuck those people. Let them go rent space.
The cops should have shown up with tow trucks and made them drive the cars down the street and back, if the cars couldn't do that then they were impounded immediately. That would have stopped that BS. Remember the first gun law passed by California only? Yeah me neither, they got an inch and ran, passed so many California only gun laws that we can't remember the first one. Never give California an inch.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score

Are you sure? What happens when some Karen drives by and you just happen to have your garage door open and she sees what you are doing? Maybe you have a neighbor that doesn't like you and you don't even know it? Maybe there is some little d-bag in your neighborhood that is jealous because you have nice stuff and he doesn't.

This is kind of like red flag laws. In theory they sound good until they get abused.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
It’s all on how it’s done. My neighbor ran a Harley shop out of his garage for over 10 years. Not one complaint from anyone. All his clients idled into and out of the neighborhood. Most were police, sheriff and CHP. Really nice guy and great neighbor.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
We passed on a house in boulder city because it looked like the guy across the street was running a auto repair shop out of his house . No thanks
Hahaha I think we passed on the same house.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
So it's only ok of you have space in your garage to work on your vehicle? According to that law I can't jack up my vehicle in my own drive way and change the oil. All it takes is one neighbor that doesn't like your music that barely audible or they didn't get laid the night before, or anything and they report you and you get a ticket.

Welcome to Free Commifornia!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

calkid

Reaction score
It's a little early for April Fools jokes to get started but this sounds like one of them.

73mandella

Reaction score

I’ve worked in a few cities and the problem of people running auto repair shops out of their homes is a huge problem. Another problem is licensed repair shops not obeying zoning laws and storing customer cars in residential areas and working on cars curbside because their shop has run out of room. I also agree that zoning enforcement has no teeth but I totally disagree with you in restricting what good citizens can do because municipalizes are inept or too damn lazy to do their jobs.

What you’re saying is that it’s okay for you and your neighbor to break the law because your other neighbors will not drop a dime on you. You’re wrong, the sky is falling; it’s falling to the extreme left and it’s closer than you think. Sacramento’s an excellent example of fixing problems by overregulating its citizens because it’s much easier than actually fixing the real problem.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I believe there were city ordinances like this already. People like me may have one car a month come through. My shop is on my property, and usually stuff comes and goes in a trailer. If this were to spread though, it could be an issue. If this crossed state lines, like the people do, what happens if I end up with an uppity neighbor that doesn't like the noise of an un-corked car? I keep it down after dark, not it could still be an issue.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I’ve worked in a few cities and the problem of people running auto repair shops out of their homes is a huge problem. Another problem is licensed repair shops not obeying zoning laws and storing customer cars in residential areas and working on cars curbside because their shop has run out of room. I also agree that zoning enforcement has no teeth but I totally disagree with you in restricting what good citizens can do because municipalizes are inept or too damn lazy to do their jobs.

What you’re saying is that it’s okay for you and your neighbor to break the law because your other neighbors will not drop a dime on you. You’re wrong, the sky is falling; it’s falling to the extreme left and it’s closer than you think. Sacramento’s an excellent example of fixing problems by overregulating its citizens because it’s much easier than actually fixing the real problem.
I have a guy down the street ( dirt road ) that thought he would move his dads in town auto shop out to ( a place his dad bought ) after our friend died down the street from us , FUCK YOU ! i went to the county fought them ( now they dont like me ) BFD , i shut this guy down went in and asked so ?who do I SUE ? we are not commercial property so do we sue him or county ? the kid is a complete ASSHOLE ,we have chatted in the middle of the street many times , he's a hot head . anything this POS does we just call the Sheriff :) and they are tired of him .Lots of stories on this POS . lol

dribble

Reaction score

That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is that LE has better things to do than to play water pump police. They're not going to do it unless there is a victim/victims. At BAR we knew there were hundreds / thousands of people doing auto repair without a license. Some were helping out friends or neighbors that had fallen on hard times and were doing work for nominal pay. We never went after those people. I could have made that a full time job. When someone filed a complaint we had no choice because were had a mandate. Otherwise we left them alone. A simple water pump job at a dealer for a senior on Social Security could cost $300-$500. If they knew someone who could do it for them and do it right for $150 we weren't going to worry about it. If he took their money to go get parts and never showed back up ( I had plenty of those cases) then we used every tool in our arsenal to prosecute their sorry asses. Including laws like what we're talking about here. That's what this law is all about. And yes there are those asswipes in government who make shit like this their mission. So basically nobody is restricting what good citizens do. They are passing laws to restrict what assholes can do. Is it selective enforcement? Hell yes. Did I do it. Hell yes, everyday for thirty years. I very little problem with people who were working trying to support their families. I helped them get licensed and legal and cut them a lot of slack. Told them how they could exploit loopholes like going mobile so zoning wouldn't be an issue with licensing etc. In my time I've broken a lot of laws. If you never have then flame on.

4Waters

Reaction score
That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is that LE has better things to do than to play water pump police. They're not going to do it unless there is a victim/victims. At BAR we knew there were hundreds / thousands of people doing auto repair without a license. Some were helping out friends or neighbors that had fallen on hard times and were doing work for nominal pay. We never went after those people. I could have made that a full time job. When someone filed a complaint we had no choice because were had a mandate. Otherwise we left them alone. A simple water pump job at a dealer for a senior on Social Security could cost $300-$500. If they knew someone who could do it for them and do it right for $150 we weren't going to worry about it. If he took their money to go get parts and never showed back up ( I had plenty of those cases) then we used every tool in our arsenal to prosecute their sorry asses. Including laws like what we're talking about here. That's what this law is all about. And yes there are those asswipes in government who make shit like this their mission. So basically nobody is restricting what good citizens do. They are passing laws to restrict what assholes can do. Is it selective enforcement? Hell yes. Did I do it. Hell yes, everyday for thirty years. I very little problem with people who were working trying to support their families. I helped them get licensed and legal and cut them a lot of slack. Told them how they could exploit loopholes like going mobile so zoning wouldn't be an issue with licensing etc. In my time I've broken a lot of laws. If you never have then flame on.
If someone complains the cops will have no choice but to site you because you are breaking the law. It won't stop here, I guarantee it.

Hypnautic

Reaction score

Was there a70’s era Cadillac on a lift on the side of his home?
Couple other beaters in the drive way and John Deere gator they used to drive around town in??
If yes, Passed on that house too..

73mandella

Reaction score
I have a guy down the street ( dirt road ) that thought he would move his dads in town auto shop out to ( a place his dad bought ) after our friend died down the street from us , FUCK YOU ! i went to the county fought them ( now they dont like me ) BFD , i shut this guy down went in and asked so ?who do I SUE ? we are not commercial property so do we sue him or county ? the kid is a complete ASSHOLE ,we have chatted in the middle of the street many times , he's a hot head . anything this POS does we just call the Sheriff :) and they are tired of him .Lots of stories on this POS . lol

I have to admit it’s not easy shutting these assholes down. Law enforcement isn’t the answer. The problem is city government’s lack of willingness to do what it takes to fix the problem. Unfortunately some citizens have the ear of some politicians and pressure or convince the politician to further their cause. The ordinance is then written to benefit the few and usually adopted with little input from the public. Before you know it there’s another bullshit ordinance on the books that hurt good people.

I hit this hard because it hits home. We’ve been working on engines since the late 70’s for our family boats and cars. My son is rebuilding his grandfather’s ‘84 Chevy PU, a complete rebuild and we’re not done yet. My son was installing the rear end last night using pneumatic tools. We’ll then put a V8 in my other son’s jeep. Once we’re done with that, if I still have some money left, I have a flatbottom we bought a few years ago that will get a complete rebuild. After that we may need to refresh the engine in the other v-drive flatbottom or the jet (all family boats). They’ve been running for about 5 or so years now.

Gas is at $4 for regular again and rising, California is looking at regulating diesel motorhomes requiring annual smog checks if they are used in California (my father-in-law just bought a diesel motorhome last year
in Oklahoma), boat registration is increasing, and we’ll need a license to operate a boat in California. I don’t want to leave California; I want my California back.

I'll stop crying the blues now.

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
Get it it’s ok for you but not for the rest. Kinda like newsom do as I say not as I do.😱

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I see both sides of the issue, but could be managed with an HOA. We dont live in an HOA but there are times I wish we did. I am not opposed to people working on their stuff as long as its within reason.

More government over reach....

Careful what you ask for. We are in a hoa. Pretty laid back for the most part. Certain house paint schemes etc. I like ours. Keeps what’s being talked about out. Keeps the Rvs out Keeps the oil leaking jack lifted cars away. I / can change our oil. Rotate tires. Do a tune up. No issues. I boat but don’t miss seeing boats in every driveway and the mess. That’s what and why a pay for an hoa. But as said. I not commi fornia. Hoa until then. I’m good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dribble

Reaction score
Get it it’s ok for you but not for the rest. Kinda like newsom do as I say not as I do.😱
If I’m running air tools all night and parking shit all over the neighborhood, I expect a visit from the authorities. If nobody knows I’m doing it because I’m a decent neighbor (who fixes some of the elderly peoples cars in the neighborhood for free sometimes) then nobody is going to visit me. So yes it’s ok for me and people like me. It’s not ok for the dirtbags who fuck up the neighborhood.

4Waters

Reaction score
If I’m running air tools all night and parking shit all over the neighborhood, I expect a visit from the authorities. If nobody knows I’m doing it because I’m a decent neighbor (who fixes some of the elderly peoples cars in the neighborhood for free sometimes) then nobody is going to visit me. So yes it’s ok for me and people like me. It’s not ok for the dirtbags who fuck up the neighborhood.
It's ok until it's not. If someone complains you will get a ticket

stevel

Reaction score
Typical government official playing god. Selects who gets to go around the laws because he thinks it is ok. choses what he thinks is to much money for a select group to pay. If you really think that is ok shame on you. It is no different than a ref only calling some fouls

dribble

Reaction score
Typical government official playing god. Selects who gets to go around the laws because he thinks it is ok. choses what he thinks is to much money for a select group to pay. If you really think that is ok shame on you. It is no different than a ref only calling some fouls

Not a good analogy. No different that a cop choosing not to cite someone because of mitigating circumstances. There are crooks, thieves and assholes and there are decent people who do decent things. I could differentiate between the two and treated people accordingly. If you think that’s playing god you are clueless.

77charger

Reaction score
Yeh i see the difference in one who does work here and there and one who does it everyday as a business.Hell i had to work on sons car in driveway today jad it on jack stands but waited til about 10;45 to start done by 4.

stevel

Reaction score
Sorry we have been in the auto repair business for 70 years I know goverment bullshit when I hear it.

Justfishing

Reaction score
So when you live next to a busy body that has a nose in everyones business and call on everything.

Zoning and parking laws should take care of someone operating a business. It works elswhere.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is that LE has better things to do than to play water pump police. They're not going to do it unless there is a victim/victims.

You sure about that? Keep in mind that we live in 2021 where karens lurk where youd least expect them too and LEO enforce anything and everything to keep its sheep content. Exhibit A:

RCDave

Reaction score
What difference does this all make anyway. Newsome is banning all cars soon anyway! LOL

stoker2001

Reaction score
born and raised in Citrus Hieghts,its almost as bad as RL and Highlands,but best thing CH did was incorporate decades ago.lucky I live in Broadstone Folsom area and still change my own oil in driveway 👍

Runs2rch

Reaction score
LOL what street was it on? 🤣
Can't remember now. We have looked at so many. Another one had a ton of potential, street and houses well kept. All but the guy right next door. We have neighbors we can't stand now right next door. Everyone else is great haha

hallett21

Reaction score
You sure about that? Keep in mind that we live in 2021 where karens lurk where youd least expect them too and LEO enforce anything and everything to keep its sheep content. Exhibit A:

Sweet jesus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I believe there were city ordinances like this already. People like me may have one car a month come through. My shop is on my property, and usually stuff comes and goes in a trailer. If this were to spread though, it could be an issue. If this crossed state lines, like the people do, what happens if I end up with an uppity neighbor that doesn't like the noise of an un-corked car? I keep it down after dark, not it could still be an issue.

well soon enough you wont even be able to modify a car, let alone repair it. they're already going after every single aftermarket manufacturer. You see it with diesels and recently they just shut down a few gasoline exhaust manufacturers, citing that "off road use only" is meaningless... even if its a track only car. Basically touching a car in the near future would be illegal.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
well soon enough you wont even be able to modify a car, let alone repair it. they're already going after every single aftermarket manufacturer. You see it with diesels and recently they just shut down a few gasoline exhaust manufacturers, citing that "off road use only" is meaningless... even if its a track only car. Basically touching a car in the near future would be illegal.

In the 90s one of my mini truck friends had a copy of the vehicle code...it was a phone book size thing. Pretty much anything broke "the law". Well, now they're trying to enforce it.

I figure at some point we'll end up like Cuba. At least I'll know how to swap the Izusu diesel into my Excursion, or make a well pump powered by a leather belt and a sbc :(

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Lived briefly in an apartment complex in Anaheim in the early 80's run by Nazi's. No looking under your hood to check your oil, no washing your car, etc. The Nazi wife would stare at me like the devil when I would fire up my 2 stroke RD400, hell I'd let it set there idling and let it load up then fog her ass on the way out the front gate. Boy did they ever hate me...I didn't last long there.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
You don't think some jerkoff is gonna go on a power trip with this?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

dribble

Reaction score
You don't think some jerkoff is gonna go on a power trip with this?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yes there is always one or two jerkoffs that don't get it. Living in California successfully requires the ability to circumvent the system. The genesis of laws such as this are based upon multiple complaints to law enforcement, city councils and boards of supervisors. The enforcement of these laws are way down on everyone's priority list.

Example: Eleven years ago Schwarzenegger signed SB 33 into law which states that all motorcycles manufactured after 2013 must have an EPA stamp on their modified exhaust pipes and meet noise requirements. This law was caused by complaints to legislators due to Jackwagons running straight pipes on their Harleys. Since that time I have ridden about 50,000 miles in California on my Harleys. One with Vance & Hines pipes and one with RCX pipes that have a louder but not obnoxious sound. I have pulled up next to motorcycle cops at intersections literally dozens of times and the only attention I get is a nod. Said Jackwagons with obnoxiously loud straight pipes likely get cited but to date I've not heard of even one. I am clearly riding with illegal pipes and all of the police I've come in contact with know it. They just don't care. For them to actually care would require complaints or total Jackwagon behavior.

Last edited:

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Yes there is always one or two jerkoffs that don't get it. Living in California successfully requires the ability to circumvent the system. The genesis of laws such as this are based upon multiple complaints to law enforcement, city councils and boards of supervisors. The enforcement of these laws are way down on everyone's priority list.

Example: Eleven years ago Schwarzenegger signed SB 33 into law with states that all motorcycles manufactured after 2013 must have an EPA stamp on their modified exhaust pipes and meet noise requirements. This law was caused by complaints to legislators due to Jackwagons running straight pipes on their Harleys. Since that time I have ridden about 50,000 miles in California on my Harleys. One with Vance & Hines pipes and one with RCX pipes that have a louder but not obnoxious sound. I have pulled up next to motorcycle cops at intersections literally dozens of times and the only attention I get is a nod. Said Jackwagons with obnoxiously loud straight pipes likely get cited but to date I've not heard of even one. I am clearly riding with illegal pipes and all of the police I've come in contact with know it. They just don't care. For them to actually care would require complaints or total Jackwagon behavior.

I’m gonna have to volunteer and get involved. Focken noisy ass motorcycles. All show and no go.

riverroyal

Reaction score
So these 'non american' types are running a cash business from a home. Its a eye sore. A noise problem. No taxes paid. Causes more traffic in residential. Hurts legitimate businesses.
And you guys dont like the regulation?
The guy fixing his jeep or working on what he owns will be ok. Thats not the target.