WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Nobody Sitting Down at PHX Sky Harbor

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Yesterday I was sitting in the airport waiting to board a flight and noticed US & POW-MIA flags at the end of the terminal. Catching up on weekend emails before take off, I didn't think much of it.

Soon a few volunteers began distributing small flags to kids, again I was too wrapped up in my own busywork to take much notice.

A few min later a procession of veterans accompanied by volunteers arrived in the terminal. A voice came over the PA system announcing their arrival followed by singing God Bless America and the national anthem. Never were we asked to rise but not a single able bodied person remained in their seat INCLUDING an older man who needed assistance getting out of his wheelchair.

Turns out it was a group of WW2 vets who were part of a trip to DC to visit the war memorial. It was incredibly cool to see strangers from all different backgrounds joining in a common show of support. Props to Southwest for working with the group to make this happen.

I THINK this was the group coordinating the flight. http://www.honorflightaz.org/

***apparently I can't upload a video on tapatalk. Here are a few screenshots but it's not the same without hearing God Bless America in the background.

IMG_5280.JPG
IMG_5282.JPG
IMG_5285.JPG
IMG_5284.JPG

-Zack

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Way cool! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Sbarry

Reaction score
Respect... It's a good thing!

Very cool:thumbsup:thumbsup

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
My father took his father-in-law (a WW2 vet) to DC this weekend for that ceremony. Waiting to talk to him tonight and see the pictures. It's a pretty cool deal that honors our WW2 vets. They tour many of the memorials as well as spend time at Arlington. We have very few WW2 veterans left, and we should honor them every chance we get. Thank you for posting this.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow - that is fantastic! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:thumbsup

Boat Bling

Reaction score
It was an awesome experience. Just happy I could be a part of it.

-Zack

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
They say we lose 150 WW II vets per day...awesome deal for sure..wish I was there..

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
They do an honor flight about every 6 months it seems out of the area here. It's really awesome to see the community support and funds raised locally for it. It's always a big deal on the local news.

gmnhra

Reaction score
Honored to still have my 94 year old WWII vet Dad with us. He is still sharp as a tack and enjoying life in Havasu.
With no intent to diminish any military experience; the stories about the sacrifice and ordeals our men and women faced in the South Pacific in WW II are almost unbelievable.
True Heroes (as are all military personnel) that keep this country safe and allow us the freedoms and privileges we enjoy every day without giving it much thought.
Much tougher people than I could ever pretend to be..