WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Nordic 48 breaks 110 mph on initial testing!

TCHB

Reaction score
For one thing no outdrive to mess with and the overall cost lower. Very efficient on fuel and quiet. If you want to go above 130 I guess you will have to go with the big blocks but maintenance is much higher as the hours pile up.
D4051BB7-98BB-4955-B536-EB521DBE0422.jpeg

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
For one thing no outdrive to mess with and the overall cost lower. Very efficient on fuel and quiet. If you want to go above 130 I guess you will have to go with the big blocks but maintenance is much higher as the hours pile up. View attachment 851192

Don't you have a Tee Time you are missing?:rolleyes:

Taboma

Reaction score
For one thing no outdrive to mess with and the overall cost lower. Very efficient on fuel and quiet. If you want to go above 130 I guess you will have to go with the big blocks but maintenance is much higher as the hours pile up. View attachment 851192

I believe Dave's question marks are trying to figure out what your comment about Cats and Outboards has to do with a big Vee with I/O's ---- comparing or wrong thread ?? 🤔

PlanB

Reaction score
Its those old school transom that are responsible for my current state of handicapped. Lol. No way to get on or off of em..

I’ll take the bustle all day every day and twice on flipping Sunday.

Bolt on swim platform. I actually prefer the look of no platform at all, but climbing up the drives to get into the boat sucks. No a fan of huge bustles.
Dana Point.jpg

TCHB

Reaction score
I believe Dave's question marks are trying to figure out what your comment about Cats and Outboards has to do with a big Vee with I/O's ---- comparing or wrong thread ?? 🤔
Cats and outboards.

575cat

Reaction score
Sorry, I'll add the obligatory opposing argument to the beak and swimstep / running surface argument - it's faster than 99% of the Vee's out there. No we've recapped the past 20 years of online arguments on Fountain Vs anything. ;) :D
just heckling ha ha .

wzuber

Reaction score
Not drunk, nor agitated...

Figured this was "River" Dave's Place...not offshore Dave's place (I sorted that part out from the heading on the front page). Sorry if I was mistaken...I'll see myself out...right past Wakeboardboat Dave's Place

Edit:..since we're on the subject of boat that like maybe 2 or 3 members of this fine establishment might possibly be able to afford....Can you do a review on the performance of the newest carnival cruise ship? Does it use labbed props or off the shelf stock wheels?

LOL.....hilarious dude...

wzuber

Reaction score
They borrowed the props off of Randy’s 43 Enforcer (cat) just to go run the boat and according to Thane the boat ran right to 110 mph like it was nothing. They just received new props from Mercury and the boat will go out for more testing next week! 110 is already impressive for a 48’er but expect bigger numbers soon!

View attachment 851006
Impressive piece of equip. no doubt. Per the video..that 110+ mph was 20 minutes into the first shakedown run off the trailer. That's even more impressive. They obviously have their build program very well sorted out to be able to accomplish that. Shows a tremendous amount of confidence in what they build.
Do these engines come from the factory broke in when delivered? Seems kinda like a very short run in period if not? Does the factory dyno tune each eng. before shipping?

CLA

Reaction score
I think the boat is awesome and the bustle is great. I wish my cat had one.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Props off the cat? I would think props from one of the 43' Catalina race boats would have been a better fit?

Nice piece!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
These mid and larger cats are changing the game for performance boats. Run over a 100mph in pretty chopped up water with very little maintenance. Not sure how many hours these high horse power outboards will run but the overall maintenance is pretty easy.
Um....the subject boat is a V bottom with inboards :D

dntnosht

Reaction score
Props off the cat? I would think props from one of the 43' Catalina race boats would have been a better fit?

Nice piece!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
That boat is set up to ski race with. Large diameter with a small pitch. Not good for a top end prop.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
My biggest concern with these super sized bustle's is they sure seem like they would make a nice smooth ramp for water to come right into the boat if a wave were to come up from the rear while off plane.😯

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
To measure a boat LOA and call it a 48' is a bit of a stretch to me. But that's more of a marketing thing anyway.

The real measure of a boat is the length along the centerline from the gunwale to the stern or LOH. This boat looks to be about 42 as measured on the centerline.

110 mph is still really fast for a 42.

I do really like the molded-in swim platform concept. The way this is laid out the swim drip water ends up on the platform and not rolling into the bilge. It is really sweet and I am glad to see this as a part of the overall design concept. If this sells well, you can expect to see this incorporated into more and more boats. This is the perfect melding of high performance and recreation.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
What if ya tried to run a liberator in 5’s and 6’s 100 mph?

I suppose we could compare it to Wicky’s new Alison as it has a head in it next. Lol. Granted it’s more of a bucket, than an enclosed head with a sink etc.. but?

So you are talking about running this 38' with 10' of bustle thru 5-6' waves at 100mph?????? Will this be Havapuddle 5-6' waves or legitimate 5-6' waves? I would like to witness.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My 2 cents on the boat...about all it's worth...She's a big gal, and has some "junk in the trunk". Nothing wrong with that. Looks good sitting, and will do well over a hundred...not bad at all. I like the idea of the bustle. Me pulling my broken carcass back into the boat after a cool down has become tougher the last few years.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but a nice setup.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
It is a beautiful boat, the bustle is practical, but it just reminds me of Art Carlson Glastrons from the 70's. James Bond probably likes it also.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
This thing is bad ass. The bustle is perfect for the lake. Keeping people away from the drives. Maybe it was just me but the bustle didnt look that big in person. It effectively covers the drives and thats about it.

That said i would be thinking about it in big water with that much extra fiberglass hanging out the back at the waterline i would be nervous the first time until i knew how it was going to behave.

110 is a very heathy number for a boat this size. Great job nordic.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
I agree with Dave on the big bustle. My parent's new Hallett has the extended swim step that extends out a good amount over the NXT's and cleavers. So when my son is jumping off the back or anyone for that matter, there's little concern about them being near the props.

Regardless, big boats like this are generally a pain in the butt to get into from the water, the bustle tends to help!

And 110 is amazing out of the box. Thane tends to know what hes doing from the start...

Gambin87

Reaction score
I'll just throw this grenade in here and see what happens:

44 Outerlimits ran 122 with 860s right off the trailer...:oops:

I love that 44, outerlimits builds unreal boats and in my mind set the bar high for these big V’s. But let’s also remember that it was 40 out when they ran that and it may have been a brand new boat off the trailer but wasn’t a brand new model that had never been tested so they knew exactly how to set the boat up, props, drive heights etc. Curious to see what thane gets this big girl to once they’ve done some more testing. Love seeing the competitiveness between all these builders pushing the boundaries.

Tank

Reaction score
I love that 44, outerlimits builds unreal boats and in my mind set the bar high for these big V’s. But let’s also remember that it was 40 out when they ran that and it may have been a brand new boat off the trailer but wasn’t a brand new model that had never been tested so they knew exactly how to set the boat up, props, drive heights etc. Curious to see what thane gets this big girl to once they’ve done some more testing. Love seeing the competitiveness between all these builders pushing the boundaries.

OL builds the fastest Vee hull, period (they still hold the record). Side by side, they're boats are faster to anything comparable. This particular SL44 that did 122 out the box also has 480 less HP! But since it was brought up, don't forget it's an epoxy boat, not a glass boat so its a lot lighter. It's also most likely WAAAAAAAAY more money. A new SL44 it 800k plus. It also has less running surface. (40' ish compared to the most likely 44' ish of the Nordic). Just some stuff to consider if comparing. But really, I think they're two totally different boats when it comes down to someone writing a check.

Gambin87

Reaction score
OL builds the fastest Vee hull, period (they still hold the record). Side by side, they're boats are faster to anything comparable. This particular SL44 that did 122 out the box also has 480 less HP! But since it was brought up, don't forget it's an epoxy boat, not a glass boat so its a lot lighter. It's also most likely WAAAAAAAAY more money. A new SL44 it 800k plus. It also has less running surface. (40' ish compared to the most likely 44' ish of the Nordic). Just some stuff to consider if comparing. But really, I think they're two totally different boats when it comes down to someone writing a check.
Ya I 100% agree, didn’t mean for that to come off sounding like excuses for Nordic just meant it in the way that I’m curious to see what the 48 will do with some more testing.

Tank

Reaction score
Ya I 100% agree, didn’t mean for that to come off sounding like excuses for Nordic just meant it in the way that I’m curious to see what the 48 will do with some more testing.
I gotcha. I think theyll squeeze some more MPH out of it and it'll be respectable. It's gorgeous. I'd like to see the cabin too.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So you are talking about running this 38' with 10' of bustle thru 5-6' waves at 100mph?????? Will this be Havapuddle 5-6' waves or legitimate 5-6' waves? I would like to witness.

38’ now.. lol.

but yes depending on the spacing you could run this in those kinda conditions.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score

RD, I was just going by this.
This Nordic is gorgeous & it's awesome they are building big V hulls. I'm no expert. I haven't seen many boats capable of running 100+ thru legit 5-6' waves or swell. Maybe some of the folks on here can help me learn about big V hulls crushing 5-6' waves over or even near 100mph.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

Just for everyone's information.😌

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I know I'd LOVE to see a 46' Skater run against any V hull in ANY water with exactly the same power.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
RD, I was just going by this.
This Nordic is gorgeous & it's awesome they are building big V hulls. I'm no expert. I haven't seen many boats capable of running 100+ thru legit 5-6' waves or swell. Maybe some of the folks on here can help me learn about big V hulls crushing 5-6' waves over or even near 100mph.

How are you measuring wave heights? From trough to tip? Or from waters surface up?

because trough to tip six feet isn’t that of conditions that you couldn’t run this boat in?

hallett21

Reaction score
How are you measuring wave heights? From trough to tip? Or from waters surface up?

because trough to tip six feet isn’t that of conditions that you couldn’t run this boat in?

Not sure what’s correct. But the only measurement I’ve cared about is from my keel to the top of the swell lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
Just type Apache race boats in your search engine and look at the old offshore racing videos from back east. Those guys with giant brass balls were running right at 100 in seriously rough water. I doubt many of the potato chip lightweight offshore boats would hold up in those same rough waters.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Yep, Tank will probably agree, if you look underneath the deck of those Apache race boats without a stab'in cabin, there are numerous supports and bulkheads that make those old resin buckets solid. Even the non race configs were the real deal. 👍