WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

not sure where to ask, adding wood deck to existing boat.

Malik

Reaction score
Dumb question but when people add a wood deck to an existing boat with out one how is it attached? How do they attach the wood frame to the existing fiberglass hull? Thanks for any insite and/or pics. Trent

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That's a good question Trent, and one I don't have the answer for, but I could speculate.

Most the wood decks I have seen generally stop a few inches from the top edge of the boat. I would imagine they would just run glass around the bottom of the deck to the existing fiberglass that is left over.

I also know that to get a wood deck to survive the boat has to be pretty stiff, so they generally add bulkheads etc.. which would make good attachment points as well.

Maybe Harlan will chime in on this if he sees it?

RD

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...If you are asking as relative to a later big boat,...I have seen this done as a laminate over the existing gel...
...Harlan Orin is definately the expert on old school... ...The ones I have seen done as veniere epoxied to the existing fiberglass gel were done by Jim Miller of Miller Boats... ...Jim 's brother John is also one of the go to guys for wood decks...

Malik

Reaction score
thank you both, know of any good books or videos on the subject?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Building Plywood Boats will give you some insight to decks. there are some threads on this on Performanceboats. in the v-drive section.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
With a large piece of your wallet :D

koenig

Reaction score
Easier to buy one with it. But would consider doing it to a Donzi 22 Classic.

I've always wanted one of these: http://www.kazulinboats.com/classic.htm manufactured that way and today sell for between $25K to $35K. My neighbor bought one new in the 80's.