WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Nothing finer than a pipeliner...

JDKRXW

Reaction score
You wouldn't see that exact scenario in Saskatchewan or Alberta.
Of the 10,000+ lifted one ton dually welding trucks working on rigs and pipelines.......nobody uses a Chev. :)

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Anyone on instagram that wants to see some badass field work, fab, welding, equipment repair, Follow @ICWELD He's a Texan that does some pretty gnarly work. Dude can run a cutting torch like nobodies business.

82daytona

Reaction score
Bad ass! Thanks for sharing [emoji1320]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
I haven’t had a welder show up on my job site with welding trucks like that. My welder has a regular white F350 with a welding bed and all factory. A lot of my contract welders show up in Dodge trucks. Most are from Texas and Oklahoma. I would lay some money down on a bet if they could weld with hippy rod and pass a branch test. Welding on new steel is different then the old stuff. I will say I had two young welders that came in recently and passed the first time under our procedures.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
So a company where I worked "Semi-conductors" made these heaters that welded plastic pipes together. The largest took our biggest CNC machine to hogg out. I think it was about 8 ft. in Dia.
Those pipes look just like the pipes that used our "heaters" as I will call them.
Plastic pipes seem to be replacing steel.
Anyone recognize the green pipe?

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
The pipe in the video is called FBE coated pipe, also known as fusion bonded epoxy coating. Back in the day a lot of the old pipe was installed with coal tar enamel with some asbestos coating intertwined also.

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
When we replace pipe under a railroad or a regular road or are boring new pipe we used what is called ARO coated pipe which is abrasion resistant overcoat of the FBE coated pipe it is red instead of green. Some issues with new pipe if you don’t jeep it correctly and have any anomaly’s, that piece of metal will corrode faster at that point compared to a entire bare pipeline.

Last edited:

copterzach

Reaction score
The pipe in the video is called FBE coated pipe, also known as fusion bonded epoxy coating. Back in the day a lot of the old pipe was installed with coal tar enamel with some asbestos coating intertwined also.

That pipe was coated with almost a creosote type coating. Had to scrap it off for welders to cut and weld it. Then had to rewrap it and use a pear burner or torch to melt it back on. My step dad had a machine shop and lease crews. I spent many summers helping.

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
So a company where I worked "Semi-conductors" made these heaters that welded plastic pipes together. The largest took our biggest CNC machine to hogg out. I think it was about 8 ft. in Dia.
Those pipes look just like the pipes that used our "heaters" as I will call them.
Plastic pipes seem to be replacing steel.
Anyone recognize the green pipe?
What MAOPs are they using on the plastic pipes or working pressures? At our compressor stations on the discharge side we can operate up to 1200 psi.

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
That pipe was coated with almost a creosote type coating. Had to scrap it off for welders to cut and weld it. Then had to rewrap it and use a pear burner or torch to melt it back on. My step dad had a machine shop and lease crews. I spent many summers helping.

Yeah for sure! The FBE coating burns off after a pass or two with the torch on the beveling machine, that old shit takes some work with the torch and a corn knife to scrape away the melting coal tar. FBE you can clear a 2” area and go to work. Coal tar you have to clean about 3 ‘ so the beveling machine is setting on bare pipe and make the cut where you need to. It’s nasty old stuff but, better then the new coating.

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
Coming in hot!

Attachments

• 5C724DAB-F08A-43F8-9227-DCE279622EBD.jpeg
    5C724DAB-F08A-43F8-9227-DCE279622EBD.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 151
  • B5DF088A-45AC-41EC-BBCA-CE0EC7F5475B.jpeg
    B5DF088A-45AC-41EC-BBCA-CE0EC7F5475B.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 9C8A472F-84E6-499A-8DF0-6EBA626E11B6.jpeg
    9C8A472F-84E6-499A-8DF0-6EBA626E11B6.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 129
  • A2642E79-4858-4E6A-8EED-289F2CD5DD30.jpeg
    A2642E79-4858-4E6A-8EED-289F2CD5DD30.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 131

Backlash

Reaction score
Gawd those trucks are ugly. I can understand wanting to have and drive a nice work truck, but at least make it practical. I love the GM and the Dodge trucks, but those are all a complete waste. Sorry, just my .02.

rrrr

Reaction score
Pipeline welders...I couldn't count the times I've been told "Just get my money and I'm going down the road".

rrrr

Reaction score

Have you ever seen one of those old hot asphalt and paper/asbestos tape pipe wrapping machines in action? Crazy stuff!

This modern version has a lot less drama involved. :D

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
What MAOPs are they using on the plastic pipes or working pressures? At our compressor stations on the discharge side we can operate up to 1200 psi.

I could not tell you the Max pressures the pipes ran. What it took to keep all the machinery running to make the Heaters was immense. 1200 is about what my Blood pressure was though on any given day. :eek:

supernick

Reaction score
Hippy rod?
I haven’t had a welder show up on my job site with welding trucks like that. My welder has a regular white F350 with a welding bed and all factory. A lot of my contract welders show up in Dodge trucks. Most are from Texas and Oklahoma. I would lay some money down on a bet if they could weld with hippy rod and pass a branch test. Welding on new steel is different then the old stuff. I will say I had two young welders that came in recently and passed the first time under our procedures.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Hippy rod?

High Yield Pipe iirc, it's a special pipe rod used in sheilded metal arc welding (stick welding), it had the acryonmy HYP Exxx so the welders would call it Hippie (HYP E)

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Jesse James built a truck like this for sema. Had a bunch of roll out drawers for rod and cable etc. pretty cool.