WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

NOW DOING THE BRAKES Thinking about adding a ladder to my trailer.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I need to see how badly I get wounded finishing up my sand car but I’m thinking about stripping down my trailer and powder coating it. I need to replace the breaks anyways, so I’m takeing the boat off the trailer anyways.

I hear west coast sand blasting is the place to go to get it stripped, then inspect for cracks and such, repair as needed.

As long as I’m doing all that, I can pick up some square tube from IMS and add a ladder, thoughts?

Backlash

Reaction score
I always hear pros and cons to powder coating a boat trailer. Where are you planning to put the ladder?

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I always hear pros and cons to powder coating a boat trailer. Where are you planning to put the ladder?

It’s an opem bow so I was thinking on the truck’s passenger side toward the bow. I don’t know if it’s a good idea or not.

I was also thinking of having the trailer done in line-x like a truck bed.

Your ad here

Reaction score
You're gonna squawk at the price of material to build that ladder. A 1.5"x1.5"x.125 angle steel 10' long is $28. I wouldn't do the trailer in bed liner.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
You're gonna squawk at the price of material to build that ladder. A 1.5"x1.5"x.125 angle steel 10' long is $28. I wouldn't do the trailer in bed liner.
I was thinking 2“ square tubing 13 gauge mild steel, IMS will make the cuts while I wait.

shunter2005

Reaction score
I had mine stripped and powdercoated two years ago. I wish I had painted it now. Looks like they put the clearcoat on too heavy and it is spiderwebbed in some places. Also, the tongue looks like it's discoloring. Looks like rust, but I don't think it is. Took it back to the guy and he offered to re-do it, but I'm NOT tearing it apart again. I am so disappointed in it. It looks good and all, it's just not what I expected.

I had a ladder added on to mine. It was a good idea. The only issue was the guy who built it for me used some smaller tubing for the handrail. It works ok and looks ok, but I just don't think it's strong enough. I may take it and have them cut the handrail off and re-weld it with a 2" piece of tubing and have it painted or (god forbid) re-powdercoated. It makes it easier to get in the boat at the ramp, for sure.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I had mine stripped and powdercoated two years ago. I wish I had painted it now. Looks like they put the clearcoat on too heavy and it is spiderwebbed in some places. Also, the tongue looks like it's discoloring. Looks like rust, but I don't think it is. Took it back to the guy and he offered to re-do it, but I'm NOT tearing it apart again. I am so disappointed in it. It looks good and all, it's just not what I expected.

I had a ladder added on to mine. It was a good idea. The only issue was the guy who built it for me used some smaller tubing for the handrail. It works ok and looks ok, but I just don't think it's strong enough. I may take it and have them cut the handrail off and re-weld it with a 2" piece of tubing and have it painted or (god forbid) re-powdercoated. It makes it easier to get in the boat at the ramp, for sure.
Great info, you don’t have any photos of your ladder? I am actually going to be fabricating mine myself

shunter2005

Reaction score
Great info, you don’t have any photos of your ladder? I am actually going to be fabricating mine myself

I can't believe that I don't have any of the ladder powdercoated and mounted, but here are a few of it mocked up. I used 1x3 tubing for the steps to make them more old folk friendly. Like I said, the handrail is way too small. Thinking about using 2" round tube instead of square if I re-do it.

Attachments

• MOCK UP FINISHED LADDER 2.jpg
    MOCK UP FINISHED LADDER 2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 101
  • MOCK UP FINISHED LADDER 3.jpg
    MOCK UP FINISHED LADDER 3.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 105
  • MOCK UP FINISHED LADDER.jpg
    MOCK UP FINISHED LADDER.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
I was thinking 2“ square tubing 13 gauge mild steel, IMS will make the cuts while I wait.
Check their bandsaw times. Phoenix is like a 4 day wait. I can't image what California wait times are. If it's long, it would be a great reason to buy a portable bandsaw. I have one and it's bad ass.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Here you go, doing a complete rebuild on my trailer, new double ladder to start.
That ladder is pimp! Did you make the handrail bends?

Are you putting a spare tire? Probably not a big deal with a triple but I’m pulling a double axel.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Check their bandsaw times. Phoenix is like a 4 day wait. I can't image what California wait times are. If it's long, it would be a great reason to buy a portable bandsaw. I have one and it's bad ass.
I own a corded Milwaukee portabandoned, love that tool but those 20’ saws at IMS cut so very precise and true, it’s worth the wait. I think I ordered the material for my fish tank stand 3 days ahead but having practically perfect cuts was well worth the few $$$ it cost have everything square during setup. Some of the best money I ever spent.

Springfield

Reaction score
That ladder is pimp! Did you make the handrail bends?

Are you putting a spare tire? Probably not a big deal with a triple but I’m pulling a double axel.
Thanks, I am not that talented so it is at Adrenaline Trailer for the makeover. There is an existing spare rack in front of the axles, under the framing passenger side.
A thread on the rebuild will be up in two weeks. 😁

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I can't believe that I don't have any of the ladder powdercoated and mounted, but here are a few of it mocked up. I used 1x3 tubing for the steps to make them more old folk friendly. Like I said, the handrail is way too small. Thinking about using 2" round tube instead of square if I re-do it.
Looks like yours is setup to remove in transit, seems like a good idea. Do you worry about hocking something with the arm while driving/backing?

shunter2005

Reaction score
Looks like yours is setup to remove in transit, seems like a good idea. Do you worry about hocking something with the arm while driving/backing?
Yes, it can be removed. I usually don't. Haven't had any issues with it mounted. Secured with a locking hitch pin and SS allen screws.

Backlash

Reaction score
I picked up some material here in SoCal last week, and the pricing wasn't THAT bad considering the current economic slump we're in. 2x3" square tubing, 3/16" thick. Cut to length on the spot for $60. Keep in mind how long your trailer tongue is, and make sure you've got enough room for the ladder. Dont want it hitting the truck while turning. 😁

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Any more photos of ladders on trailers? I’m looking for ideas.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Any more photos of ladders on trailers? I’m looking for ideas.
for your 240, I would take the "less is more" approach regarding the ladder. my 210 has small steps built into the rear trailer guide on the starboard side. I could look for a pic if needed?

humvkev

Reaction score
I also have a 240 and was thinking of some sort of ladder. I am interested in just adding steps to the front of the bow stop or just in front of it as the examples below show..... simple, out of the way and gets the job done.
Hallett Trailer Steps.JPG
Trailer Steps.JPG

Riverryder

Reaction score
think with a 240 its not needed. im going to do gator step on my bow. i just climb on the bumper or tailgate of the truck and then climb in.

humvkev

Reaction score
For me, it doesn't seem to be a huge problem, but for my wife and kids getting on the boat at the ramp from the front is not easy. I realize that they could get in prior to putting it in the water, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

1rvrryd

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20200412_141552.jpg
    20200412_141552.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
  • 20200412_135643.jpg
    20200412_135643.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 123

humvkev

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking! Just a little step to help get in. Did you do that yourself or take it somewhere?

1rvrryd

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking! Just a little step to help get in. Did you do that yourself or take it somewhere?
Friend of mine welded them on, one each side to not interfere with the winch handle and jack handle when the boat is in the garage. My winch and jack handles are on opposite sides of that bow stand. Just touched it up with rattle can primer and paint. Then put non-skid tape. Once on the trailer, you can grab the bow rails to get in the boat.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
For me, it doesn't seem to be a huge problem, but for my wife and kids getting on the boat at the ramp from the front is not easy. I realize that they could get in prior to putting it in the water, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.
Yea, and it seems that it’s always the case that someone for gets something every launch. Sunglasses, cellphone, EDC, but the “i need to go get _______” seems rather prevalent once the stern hits the water.

Pegs on the wench post seem to hit the spot.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
That is exactly what we did on our 240 trailer. Works perfectly.
I think this exactly what I am going to do.

I’m in Bolder City this week and plan on pulling the boat off the trailer here. I was going to drag the trailer back to Corona and blast, weld, repair it at home but I know a few excellent welders in town.

Can I get a recommendation on someone in the greater LV area to blast and powder coat the trailer?

I’m not made of money so I’m thinking of having the fenders and wheels powder coated while I’m at it.

My wife sent me this link

Riverryder

Reaction score
what you going to do with the boat? Leave it in the water?

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
what you going to do with the boat? Leave it in the water?
No, I lucked out and found and empty beat to crap 240 trailer. Had to duct tape the bunks back on it to make the drive to needless.

Took it down to Jack Smith and swapped out trailers. Extra fun because the blower is currently being rebuilt so I stood chest deep in the water for 15 minutes fighting the wind while my friend swapped trailers and then just walked the boat on the temp trailer.

The water wasn’t all that cold at all. In fact, this morning I have most of the feeling back in my toes already!!

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Well, trailer is a project. First spindle looks good but everything after that looks like shit or like the break pads… are completely missing.

Need to find new backing plate assemblies.

image.jpg

image.jpg

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Found someone to do the welding once I do all the prep work. Still looking for a 2X2 square tube section about 8” long for just a peg on the bow stop post. Would have loved to have had it when I was changing trailers.

here’s the prep work I’ve done. trailer had all these rusted brackets for a tow cover, drilled out the rivets and made ready to weld over

image.jpg

The trailer steps were smashed, and I decided they would just get smashed again if I fixed them AND. I can’t even get to them, my swim step sticks probably 2’ past them so I cut them off

I’ll use surface mount tail lights

almost done prepping for powder coat, I’m doing this all with M18 and while my batteries are catching up, I figured I’d post some photos

image.jpg

image.jpg

There’s an amazing ammount of bonds on these competitive trailers… the sand blasting will remove it all so I need to clear it out first and clean up the shitty welds BEFORE. Powder coat.

I decided grey, It goes with the interior.

image.jpg

Riverryder

Reaction score
when can i borrow your bad trailer to put my 230 on and bring you my good trailer to do?

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
when can i borrow your bad trailer to put my 230 on and bring you my good trailer to do?
It’s not my trailer.

Honestly, it would probably be a better deal to pay the $7-$8K to have it done by a shop that specializes in that work. With the number of hours I’ll have into it $3,100 + my materials cost + the powder coat shop says they are no longer doing trailers (mine’s the last one). $2500 for blast and powdercoat + $1,500 Dexter backing plates master cylinder and parts and lines/fittings + $200 lights and siring (no scotch locks) + $300 stainless fenders =$7,900.

I enjoy doing this work so the labor is free, I preferred grinding on my trailer over watching super bowl (did make it to a party for some epic brautwurst and the last 8 minutes of the game). And the powder coat was only $1,400 (you won’t find that ever) and I did get to tap out a few dings in the fenders and cut off 3” of the really fucked up parts so my cost is only $3,100

Crap!I left out the bunks, carpet, wood glue stainless staples and hardware, $400

my expense on my trailer $3,500. Have me do yours: $8,400.

Last edited:

Riverryder

Reaction score
@MPHSystems it was a joke but thanks for maken me realize it’s better to have someone doit over me doing it.

I’m gonna be doing my bunks in March I think. Just need to get the boat down to needles so I can get boat off the trailer to do them. Have to get the wood have everything else.

Keep this thread updated man! This is the stuff the site needs not more arguing. Haha

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
@MPHSystems it was a joke but thanks for maken me realize it’s better to have someone doit over me doing it.

I’m gonna be doing my bunks in March I think. Just need to get the boat down to needles so I can get boat off the trailer to do them. Have to get the wood have everything else.

Keep this thread updated man! This is the stuff the site needs not more arguing. Haha
Yea, I gave you an LOL

Truth is that I do enjoy doing the work. That’s what makes it a bargain. If it’s not fun for you then it’s no bargain. There is a significant chance I’m selling the boat as soon as I get it all finished up, I penciled it out and I spent more than I should have… Significantly more.

Hopefully my trailer will be done by then and the boat back on it…HOPEFULLY …

I’ll chat with you offline about getting you on that trailer via DM

All prepped and dropped off to be powder coated.

F156F946-5F4E-4669-92FA-AE6873394995.jpeg

5F4036FC-D5EB-4831-B7EB-178095A568CF.jpeg

0E0702DC-7471-4EA4-AAB5-665ACCBBDB12.jpeg

18BF95F2-F903-466D-9511-5D426657A63F.jpeg

68211C81-C059-41CC-B49B-D2F8984E5DDC.jpeg

FB90D34B-21EC-49A2-A074-93609F5BAA1D.jpeg

Last edited:

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
What kind of carpet and wood should I get for the bunks?

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Having the ladder put on this trailer was the best decision ever! It was removable but never took it off.

91DD7369-194D-4055-B6AC-0C00AE8EB6CF.png
1F690418-78D0-4FA1-A8DB-57899F732BC0.png

Riverryder

Reaction score
if my trailer ever gets redone I will have the fabricator that builds my trucks do a ladder. I know the other half and kids would love this.

4Waters

Reaction score
Yea, I gave you an LOL

Truth is that I do enjoy doing the work. That’s what makes it a bargain. If it’s not fun for you then it’s no bargain. There is a significant chance I’m selling the boat as soon as I get it all finished up, I penciled it out and I spent more than I should have… Significantly more.

Hopefully my trailer will be done by then and the boat back on it…HOPEFULLY …

I’ll chat with you offline about getting you on that trailer via DM

All prepped and dropped off to be powder coated.

View attachment 1088383
View attachment 1088384
View attachment 1088385
View attachment 1088386
View attachment 1088387

View attachment 1088388
Hope it's not too late but add some brackets and put Boat Buckle G2's on

imf14256_1000.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score
Some of the 240’s have no transom hold-down eyes (mine included). With the fiberglass swim platform the transom is pretty busy down there. Hell, let me know if you have some tricks, I’d love to strap the boat down.
I messed up and forgot to weld mine on when I fixed my trailer after I lost a tire last year so they ended up being bolted on, without eyelets IDK how you would do it.

humvkev

Reaction score
Some of the 240’s have no transom hold-down eyes (mine included). With the fiberglass swim platform the transom is pretty busy down there. Hell, let me know if you have some tricks, I’d love to strap the boat down.
Same here, when I got my 240 it did not have the transom eyes so I added them. I ended up calling Hallett/Nordic on how to do this and they basically said we make holes, insert the transom eyes, and seal it up with 5500. That's what I did. I must admit though that putting holes in the transom scared the shit out of me and made sure like 50 times that the other side of the transom was clear of rigging. I also placed the eyes above the water line while floating.

IMG_2943.jpg
IMG_3005.jpg
IMG_3004.jpg
IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg
IMG_3005.jpg
IMG_3004.jpg
IMG_2942.jpg

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
My 240 does have transom tie down bolts through transom.

Is this stuff junk?

How about this stuff?

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I messed up and forgot to weld mine on when I fixed my trailer after I lost a tire last year so they ended up being bolted on, without eyelets IDK how you would do it.
Did you through bolt the tiedowns to the trailer frame?

Best as I can tell, my trailer is being powder coated as I type this.

4Waters

Reaction score
Did you through bolt the tiedowns to the trailer frame?

Best as I can tell, my trailer is being powder coated as I type this.
I used 9/16 bolts and put a washer and a nylock nut on the inside of the boxed frame, I got the nut inside through the taillight hole

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I used 9/16 bolts and put a washer and a nylock nut on the inside of the boxed frame, I got the nut inside through the taillight hole
I might have to go all the way through. I removed the “competitive” steps which were all bent up and covered by my swimstep by about 2 feet. I’d hate to spend a bunch of time fixing them just to mangle them next time I went down a crappy ramp or my driveway.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I think it’s going to be about 3 weeks before I get the trailer all put together, as soon as it’s powder coated I’m dragging it back to Corona CA from Boulder city NV to bolt everything back on.

Once the trailer is all bolted together, the boat probably won’t be running yet but I need to transfer trailers in Needles CA. The temp trailer isn’t roadworthy with a boat on it (barely roadworthy without a boat on it) so the transfer needs to be done at Jack Smith ramp, 2 miles from my storage.

I’d like to find a RDP inmate or two in needles to help me with the transfer. I could ask a friend or two to drive from LV area, and they would, but I’m asking a lot from them already.

Middle of March some time, anyone available to do a trailer swap with me at Jack Smith?