WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

oak tree dilemna

cpdad93

Reaction score
We have a big oak tree in front yard. We don't really want to cut it down as it provides a lot of shade. It has some issue as it has shiny leaves and drips this sticky crap on everything. So bad the sidewalk is even shiny and sticky. any ideas?

Sherpa

Reaction score
sounds like it has scale. check it out. tress sprays for treating it.... not cheap.

rrrr

Reaction score
Call an arborist. RDP has members that know everything, but I don't think that's gonna happen on this one. :D

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
Part of the deal w/ oak trees. Tons of sap, pollen & acorns. Fortunately, the sap is water soluble so not too difficult to clean. If in California be careful about trimming. Any limb over 4 inches in diameter is protected by law with steep fines if caught cutting.

Calling an arborist is your best bet if things are out of control. Termites & rot can be used to your advantage. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meaney77

Reaction score
You get into Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, Newbury Park areas and it gets even stricter.
True story- we have quit a few Oak trees around my work campus all trees are tagged and checked on periodically by the city. All landscape changes made need to be reviewed by the city first.

buck35

Reaction score
We have a big oak tree in front yard. We don't really want to cut it down as it provides a lot of shade. It has some issue as it has shiny leaves and drips this sticky crap on everything. So bad the sidewalk is even shiny and sticky. any ideas?

Sounds like aphids. You can get stuff at lowes,hd that you pour around the dripline that will kill off a variety of insects.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I have the same situation, big messy oak tree that grows like crazy in my front yard, it owns me and is protected by the city. lol

Reactions: DWC

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Start poisoning it.......

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
You get into Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, Newbury Park areas and it gets even stricter.
The only people in those areas allowed to cut down oak trees are city approved developers, they increase the tax base .

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Spray it with turflon it’s a fungus then lace the tree in warmer months

LAKEMAN

Reaction score
I am an arborist here in socal. If this is where you are at let me know and i can take a look at it. Send me a p.m.

buck35

Reaction score
I am an arborist here in socal. If this is where you are at let me know and i can take a look at it. Send me a p.m.
I believe he is in Idaho up near Sandpoint

LAKEMAN

Reaction score
Spray it with turflon it’s a fungus then lace the tree in warmer months
Sorry. Turflon is a herbicide to control broadleaf weeds. Not a product to control fungus on an oak. Also oaks should be trimmed in the cooler months.

cpdad93

Reaction score
took a branch into zamzows. They said it was scale bug and have this chemical you pour around the base.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
It's all preventive spraying just keep moisture away from all oaks and save your money on having someone come out if your in socal close friend owns Mitchell spraying in San Gabriel ca he is a boater as well

cpdad93

Reaction score
It's all preventive spraying just keep moisture away from all oaks and save your money on having someone come out if your in socal close friend owns Mitchell spraying in San Gabriel ca he is a boater as well

keeping moisture away is an impossibility as we have ground water at 6' when the irrigation is in and about 10 feet in the winter

Mikes56

Reaction score
I have one in my backyard that apparently us 110 years old. I like the tree except for the mess it makes. I had it trimmed by an arborist and it's tolerable now. It looks a lot better now too.

LAKEMAN

Reaction score
took a branch into zamzows. They said it was scale bug and have this chemical you pour around the base.
Check the label or ask them the mixture rate. I am sure you need to mix this product with water before application

LAKEMAN

Reaction score
Your right on one bayer fungi for trees oak trees always warm weather
Trees are under enough stress in the summer from environmental issues(heat ,pollution drought) and trimming them stresses them even more. Do yourself and your trees a favor and trim in the cooler months. Your trees will thank you.