WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

OC - ocean boaters - who do you guys use for service - merc / general

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Guys - there has to be someone - marine mobile mechanic in the area that guys on here use for yard haulout maintenance days. I feel like it is some secret club in order to find someone this way. Haul out days are charged by the foot / per day so there are techs that do this work but I guess there are not a lot of merc outboard guys. I need help with zinc plates (bolt broke in bottom bracket), some basic trouble shooting, and want to have a local resource to stay on top of things. I have done oil and drives already because I got quoted 20 hours labor for basic maintaince from a performance shop that was excessive.

Singleton

Reaction score
WOT Marine out of Vista CA (used to be Carlsbad), does mobile repair and Kyles outboard skills are great. @ONE-A-DAY used him a bunch. You might get him to go up if he has time. @W.O.T. Marine

Reactions: SJP

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
My buddy has a boat at the yacht club I just texted to see who he uses.

GET SOME

Reaction score
Guys - there has to be someone - marine mobile mechanic in the area that guys on here use for yard haulout maintenance days. I feel like it is some secret club in order to find someone this way. Haul out days are charged by the foot / per day so there are techs that do this work but I guess there are not a lot of merc outboard guys. I need help with zinc plates (bolt broke in bottom bracket), some basic trouble shooting, and want to have a local resource to stay on top of things. I have done oil and drives already because I got quoted 20 hours labor for basic maintaince from a performance shop that was excessive.

I have still have not found your house from our Duffy.. looks like Hb harbor is getting some nice center consoles on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Autozone time what boat what motors and what all do you need done?

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I have still have not found your house from our Duffy.. looks like Hb harbor is getting some nice center consoles on the water.

It is - there are two new Sea Hunters that are amazing. A couple of new Mystics and few Nortecs. When I brought mine to my house there were three. My place is on Gilbert Island on the point. In the channel between Almirally Island / PCH. Single story house.

E387B79A-D60C-4C3C-A442-D76D2E558E41.jpeg

hallett21

Reaction score
W.O.T marine would be my only call.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Autozone time what boat what motors and what all do you need done?

On the short term - I need someone that can help me diagnose why 1engine this afternoon will turn over and not fire. First time ever - I refueled this morning early. Started loading boat for trip waiting for boys to get out of school.

Description and things I have tried - bailed on my Catalina Trip this weekend:

* Engine is turning over weaker than other 3
* I did try and purge air out of fuel rail for vapor lock - long shot but tried
* Cycled batteries
* Smart craft is all go - green - 14V on power
* strained fuel out of filter no water or junk

Self Diagnosis:
* I think potential power connection on engine - ground or power
* starter?

Long Term:

* I need someone like AJ in Orange County to keep things floating fast! Quality tech will not jerk around.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
W.O.T marine would be my only call.

That is kind of what I am thinking at this point. I am surprised with all of the outboards I am seeing in both Newport and HB but it will take time for people to service local here I guess.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
We just used J. A. M. Marine Services for our Duffy service. Father & son deal (Jesse Sr and Jr)l, great work, quick turnaround, and less than half the price Sunset Aquatic had quoted.

For the big boat we always use Gambol Shipyard in Long Beach. Had some poor work done by Sunset on our old 34' sportfisher.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
We just used J. A. M. Marine Services for our Duffy service. Father & son deal (Jesse Sr and Jr)l, great work, quick turnaround, and less than half the price Sunset Aquatic had quoted.

For the big boat we always use Gambol Shipyard in Long Beach. Had some poor work done by Sunset on our old 34' sportfisher.

I just had - Sunset haulout - they hydro cleaned the bottom and repainted bottom brackets. It is weird though they literally did not want to / could not service any engine / zincs - they did not have any techs or vendors lined up. You had to bring them in. I was surprised - I put the boat back in the water - Bully and I changed the lower and engine fluids / filters. I ordered zinc kits for the verados. It feels like I need to take a trip to Wisconsin and get certified at the factory in order to run a boat out here. The more I think about it I had to get something in the fuel system of that engine for it just stop working. I have a few calls out to people and will call on Monday. If I do not get anyone local lined up I will grab AJ and bring him out to get things going. Ocean boating......

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Matt at M&M does great work and he is local to you. 714-892-1811

poncho

Reaction score
It is - there are two new Sea Hunters that are amazing. A couple of new Mystics and few Nortecs. When I brought mine to my house there were three. My place is on Gilbert Island on the point. In the channel between Almirally Island / PCH. Single story house.

View attachment 925978
Nice boat...what brand?. looking at Renegades and Intrepids so far, definitely want the cuddy.

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
The guys I know with merc outboards use Suncountry I hear they are a pain in the ass but close to the only game in town for mercury...

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Recent Update. I needed a tech to service / diagnose a Verado that would not start, and do a few other maintence items on my Midnight Express. I called a bunch of local shops in OC trying to get someone to assist. After not getting any response from anyone in OC. I scheduled Kyle - WOT Marine ( @W.O.T. Marine ) and he brought his Mobile rig up from Carlsbad. He did an awesome job and cranked out my list. Got my squawks resolved. I highly recommend them. Well worth bringing him up from SD and will have him perform service in future on my CC.

gqchris

Reaction score
Recent Update. I needed a tech to service / diagnose a Verado that would not start, and do a few other maintence items on my Midnight Express. I called a bunch of local shops in OC trying to get someone to assist. After not getting any response from anyone in OC. I scheduled Kyle - WOT Marine ( @W.O.T. Marine ) and he brought his Mobile rig up from Carlsbad. He did an awesome job and cranked out my list. Got my squawks resolved. I highly recommend them. Well worth bringing him up from SD and will have him perform service in future on my CC.

Yup! Kyle and the guys are the only ones I use. Awesome you got them to come up from down South! I always make the drive down and well worth it!

rickym20

Reaction score

Nice! What was the culprit? New to outboards (on a much smaller scale 😁)so just trying to learn what problems can arise.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I went through the nightmare of locating a Merc Certified tech this year as well... Covid caused issues on parts and summertime everyone was swamped. Here's a source for future ... sounds like you found your guy.

Find a Dealer | Mercury Marine

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Nice! What was the culprit? New to outboards (on a much smaller scale 😁)so just trying to learn what problems can arise.
So The issue was in the FSM (Fuel Pump). A two dollar Merc part. Yes 2$ Fuel return hose failed. Boat needs to come out of water to fix though. Upper mid and lower cowlings need to come off. That is boating....