WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

OC Sewer Line Boring Company?

Elway

Reaction score
So I had one of those weeks, my main line backed up so they stuck a camera down and found out I had a collapse. I’m up and running after 3 days of saw cutting concrete, trenching and a band aid repair, only to find out that about 70’ of my remaining line is 75 year old Orangeburg that goes under my pool and is severely compromised. I’m told that boring is my only/best option to replace it, and given the expense I’m hoping that the RDP brain trust might have some trusted referrals to take a look at the job. In Newport Beach. Thanks.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
So I had one of those weeks, my main line backed up so they stuck a camera down and found out I had a collapse. I’m up and running after 3 days of saw cutting concrete, trenching and a band aid repair, only to find out that about 70’ of my remaining line is 75 year old Orangeburg that goes under my pool and is severely compromised. I’m told that boring is my only/best option to replace it, and given the expense I’m hoping that the RDP brain trust might have some trusted referrals to take a look at the job. In Newport Beach. Thanks.
Not sure if they do what your looking for. But these guys have been around a long time and do work all over So Cal.

Javajoe

Reaction score
That Orangeburg is some shitty stuff. Make sure you really get your head into the repairs needed and get lots of quotes. Many bad companies out there that would love to tell you the whole line needs replacing. Get a copy of the CD and review it. A lot of the companies like Roto Rooter will bend you over. I’ve dealt with them often in my line of work and have kicked them off the job and hired someone else to do the job. Some are probably legit but do your due diligence. Being a Contractor working for City Risk Management we were looking out for the homeowner and City’s best interest. I’m only saying this because it can get very expensive.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Without seeing the video, is relining it an option?

Hammer

Reaction score
Can you email me the video? My brother is in the trench less pipeline industry. I was too at one time...

Send me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Jesus, under the pool. Who does that. If possible I would look at going minimum depth, slope and find a way to reroute the building sewer to point of connection.

I would explore this option.

Turnup

Reaction score
Check with Argyll Plumbing, I think they have some gnarly licenses for that kind of work.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I can ask on the plumbing forum if you want. Or text my buddy that does the new laterals sure he knows someone.

Elway

Reaction score
Thanks guys, knew I could get some good info here. Rerouting is not an option, I’ve explored that but I have clearance problems on both sides of the pool as well as minimal slope, so I’m pretty sure that staying within the existing are is only option. Slab on grade on one side and basically the property line on the other.

I’m told that relining is not an option because the orangburg is basically crushed - there might be 1” of clearance in the line, and I’m told with something that flat you can’t expand it with epoxy. Which makes sense.

I’ll see if I can get the video of the various camera scopes tomorrow and upload it to see if it will help, but it basically goes from good ABS to crushed Orangeburg under the pool all the way to the city connection which I’m guessing is cast iron?

I’m so bummed. This is going to cost a fortune, not to mention putting the concrete flatwork back together after the work is done.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Can you email me the video? My brother is in the trench less pipeline industry. I was too at one time...

Send me a PM.

Do this. I’ve worked with the company his brother works for. ALOT Somtimes you have to think outside the box and these guys have seen a shit ton load of different situations.

Hammer

Reaction score
Thanks guys, knew I could get some good info here. Rerouting is not an option, I’ve explored that but I have clearance problems on both sides of the pool as well as minimal slope, so I’m pretty sure that staying within the existing are is only option. Slab on grade on one side and basically the property line on the other.

I’m told that relining is not an option because the orangburg is basically crushed - there might be 1” of clearance in the line, and I’m told with something that flat you can’t expand it with epoxy. Which makes sense.

I’ll see if I can get the video of the various camera scopes tomorrow and upload it to see if it will help, but it basically goes from good ABS to crushed Orangeburg under the pool all the way to the city connection which I’m guessing is cast iron?

I’m so bummed. This is going to cost a fortune, not to mention putting the concrete flatwork back together after the work is done.

Google "pipe bursting" that may be a viable solution. Did anyone camera the line from the sewer main in the street?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
My neighbor here, has been boring in SoCal the past 3 years. Work took him there and he hasn’t been back. Call Larry 928-763-6112

Sharpy

Reaction score
I'd think boring under a pool would scare just about every driller around. I’d look into Hammer’s idea. You may even be able to have someone fab up a splitter with a Chinese finger Behind it and pull in the new pipe with a backhoe?

Elway

Reaction score
Pipe bursting looks like the best possible solution here. That is some amazing technology. I'll going to try and find a local company to come out and take a look. Thanks Hammer!

NicPaus

Reaction score
Neighbor 2 doors over did the pipe bursting for back house. Sewer ran under the front. They dug a 6x6 hole at sidewalk and where Sewer exited back house. Roto rooter did it and it was only 5k. About 70-80'. I figured it would of been a lot more. He got several bids.

Hammer

Reaction score
Side note with Cal Boring - They require a dig hole to the bore depth every 2'(if memory serves) to verify there is nothing in the way of the bore. Then they make you sign a waiver that if they hit something they aren't liable. If there is an obstruction, you have to dig and expose it. Better hope between dig alert and a GPR or scanning service they picked up everything. LOL

Hammer

Reaction score
Pipe bursting looks like the best possible solution here. That is some amazing technology. I'll going to try and find a local company to come out and take a look. Thanks Hammer!

Good Luck! Keep us posted on how everything turns out!

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Side note with Cal Boring - They require a dig hole to the bore depth every 2'(if memory serves) to verify there is nothing in the way of the bore. Then they make you sign a waiver that if they hit something they aren't liable. If there is an obstruction, you have to dig and expose it. Better hope between dig alert and a GPR or scanning service they picked up everything. LOL
Highly doubtful they require a hole every 2'. Lol....all subs will get located using dig alert....if any subs will be in their path, they will wanna pothole to clear those subs and their depth in comparison to their bore depth. I'd imagine there ain't much shit meaning utility subs running under his pool...lol. I'd imagine they would just pothole anything in their path. Might not be so bad.

Turnup

Reaction score
Pipe burst is a challenge if you have any collapsed areas but sectional pull throughs could work depending on the depths at the collapses. You gotta throw up some pics I'm intrigued about this one.

Hammer

Reaction score
Highly doubtful they require a hole every 2'. Lol....all subs will get located using dig alert....if any subs will be in their path, they will wanna pothole to clear those subs and their depth in comparison to their bore depth. I'd imagine there ain't much shit meaning utility subs running under his pool...lol. I'd imagine they would just pothole anything in their path. Might not be so bad.

I was speaking generally. Not his place specifically.

I used them once and had to pothole due to things being in the way after we scanned now that you mention it. Your refreshed my memory as to why we had to pothole. Lol

You are correct.

Hammer

Reaction score
Pipe burst is a challenge if you have any collapsed areas but sectional pull throughs could work depending on the depths at the collapses. You gotta throw up some pics I'm intrigued about this one.

Wondering how they’d float the pull line passed the collapsed areas.

We need some pics OP!

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Wondering how they’d float the pull line passed the collapsed areas.

We need some pics OP!

Maybe since he does have some flow a heavy fish tape can be pushed through. The bigger thicker ones for com and electrical ducts

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have only done 1 sewer inspection since covid. To many plumbers on the forum died from it. Realtor been referred another local plumbing company and they have been charging the buyers $400-650. The onevi did was for a regular customer of ours. Escrow prepaid me for over 20k worth of work i need to do when I get a chance. She has the check sitting there. It needs a jetter as well nice big root blocking part of the main.
20200625_144826.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
I have only done 1 sewer inspection since covid. To many plumbers on the forum died from it. Realtor been referred another local plumbing company and they have been charging the buyers $400-650. The onevi did was for a regular customer of ours. Escrow prepaid me for over 20k worth of work i need to do when I get a chance. She has the check sitting there. It needs a jetter as well nice big root blocking part of the main. View attachment 924804

I can probably get you lined up with someone (hell, I could probably get the equipment and do it myself on the weekend)

NicPaus

Reaction score
I can probably get you lined up with someone (hell, I could probably get the equipment and do it myself on the weekend)

I have tried to get my plumber buddy to take care of them but he doesn't like dealing with Realtors. I can see why but I currently have 400k in work cause my Realtor and just got the go today on another whole house remodel. Just left a bid for a bathroom remodel that was a referral from buyer of a house she sold we remodeled. I have the equipment just not the time. I actually have 6 friends that own plumbing companies and they never have time to do the work or bid it so high not worth it. The jetter job he will do but charging me $1200 to jet it. Realtor sends him most the jetter jobs as he does those.

Elway

Reaction score
So the company that came out said that they dont save videos of the cameras that they did - that is apparently an extra charge - but they will come out again now that the temporary repair ($6k BTW) is complete and for another $275 shoot me a video to show the remaining problems in the line. They gave me an estimate of $5600 to pipe burst, which is less than I thought it would be, but I at this point I'm insisting on getting the video so I can shop the bid. I'm also hoping that another copy might do the camera for free as part of bidding the job so they can see themselves what they are getting into, but havent reached that point.

Apparently the line they they have temporarily repaired - which is adjacent to the pool - was the crushed portion and the line under the pool is oval but there is enough clearance to burst. At least that is what they are telling me. It goes from ABS to orange burg to clay at the city connection, and the orange burg is the problem.

NicPaus

Reaction score
That will be tough to get a free video inspection as part of the bid. Easier to ask them if they can do the job for $5100 and you will sign. Under 5k you will be spending a lot of time getting bids.