WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ocean Cup Boat Race This Friday

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Just a heads up in case anyone is interested.
I spaced it last year, but may go down to watch them launch at Sunset Aquatic in the am. Maybe take my camera and shoot some pics.
Here's a link to the website. . .

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Another dude posted last year they only had two boats in this... I read all the registration docs etc and it looks legit to me. I don't recall who posted that info. I for one am hoping for a solid turnout... I was on water for last 3 airshows anchored south of HB pier and don't recall any speed boats around. I see on this years docs they launch at 630 and form at 8 for start... then it said they return to HB pier area for finish around 3ish. Thats too long so thinking they mean all classes will be done by 330 after staggered starts by class. Fastest big boys start last I saw.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Another dude posted last year they only had two boats in this... I read all the registration docs etc and it looks legit to me. I don't recall who posted that info. I for one am hoping for a solid turnout... I was on water for last 3 airshows anchored south of HB pier and don't recall any speed boats around. I see on this years docs they launch at 630 and form at 8 for start... then it said they return to HB pier area for finish around 3ish. Thats too long so thinking they mean all classes will be done by 330 after staggered starts by class. Fastest big boys start last I saw.

Not sure where your info is coming from but I was called by one of the primary Ocean Cup staff people late last week -- the start time is 7:30am and the race must finish by 10:00am. Awards will be presented at the Huntington Beach Pier Plaza at 11:30am. Expected entries may be six or seven boats max -- last year there were only two. Why the low participation level? Might have something to do with the entry fee -- boats under 30' are $3,000, boats in the 40' to 50' range are $9,000.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Not sure where your info is coming from but I was called by one of the primary Ocean Cup staff people late last week -- the start time is 7:30am and the race must finish by 10:00am. Awards will be presented at the Huntington Beach Pier Plaza at 11:30am. Expected entries may be six or seven boats max -- last year there were only two. Why the low participation level? Might have something to do with the entry fee -- boats under 30' are $3,000, boats in the 40' to 50' range are $9,000.
I just read their registry docs but your version sounds like more solid info.... not many boats eh, too bad. Shoot, looks like I'll miss the finish by a slim margin.

Swain

Reaction score
Watched the Lucas Boat try to take off a few times last year it sounded like engine problems.

Lord M((Squared))

Reaction score
Wow with entry fees @ $3,000 and $9,000 you'd think there would at least be a sizable cash prize for winning! That's a lot of wear and tear on the boat and equipment and compound that with a sky high entry fee.....yea this won't be around long enough to even care. Here I was wondering why there is no serious offshore boat racing on the west coast..... this would be a good reason. I'll be shocked if they have more than 4 boats total.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Well its only two days out from event.... anybody have any ideas on how to learn whose entered? That shouldn't be too tough I'd think.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
FYI.... I just spoke to Janet Wilson who runs the event. She said they were hoping for ten entries but got 6 this year. She listed the vessels and I didn't write em all down but heard the 28' Bat Boat and then rest are all larger ... 50'Mystic, OuterLimits, large MTI Cat etc.... Said coast guard has requested they start a bit earlier than posted so shooting for 7:15am Friday and any boats coming back to finish later than 10 will be re routed to Huntington Harbor due to airshow begining at 10:30.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Wow with entry fees @ $3,000 and $9,000 you'd think there would at least be a sizable cash prize for winning! That's a lot of wear and tear on the boat and equipment and compound that with a sky high entry fee.....yea this won't be around long enough to even care. Here I was wondering why there is no serious offshore boat racing on the west coast..... this would be a good reason. I'll be shocked if they have more than 4 boats total.

I got involved in POBRA about 10 years ago. Wanted to just do some unsponsored fun racing with a buddy. Entry fee was $1K, plus $500 per driver and co-driver and a bunch of other fees. Figured it would cost near $5K for a weekend of racing in a class that I would not be competitive in (I would have been racing against the F1-11 Lavi boat).

I ended up just being a safety boat which was still fun. Got to hang out in the middle of the course with safety divers on board in case something bad happened.

If they had "sportsman" type classes with total cost of $1K to maybe $1500 I would have entered and I think a lot of others would too. Seems like they just price themselves out of the market and can't get the participants they need.

HBCraig

Reaction score
So this will.start at the HB pier at 7:30am?

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I got involved in POBRA about 10 years ago. Wanted to just do some unsponsored fun racing with a buddy. Entry fee was $1K, plus $500 per driver and co-driver and a bunch of other fees. Figured it would cost near $5K for a weekend of racing in a class that I would not be competitive in (I would have been racing against the F1-11 Lavi boat).

I ended up just being a safety boat which was still fun. Got to hang out in the middle of the course with safety divers on board in case something bad happened.

If they had "sportsman" type classes with total cost of $1K to maybe $1500 I would have entered and I think a lot of others would too. Seems like they just price themselves out of the market and can't get the participants they need.

I raced POPBRA from December of 1969 through the end of 1979 and was on the Board of Directors for all those years. It really wasn't until the early to mid 1980s that the sport went off the rails with bad leadership, bad ideas and a heavy infiltration of drug associated participants. No need to go into all of that now (maybe some other time) but ChiliPepperGeorge is on the right track. Offshore flourished in the 1970s because of regional 'production' and 'sportsman' classes. Entry fees were no where near $1000 and the prize money was enough to take care of basic racing expenses. And no, we never raced in a circle and didn't worry about thousands of spectators along the shoreline or on the piers. But the sport still attracted big-time race sponsors (on the west coast) like Hennessey, Barcardi, Bushmills Irish Whiskey, Citibank Nationall Travelers Checks, PSA Airlines, Long Beach Tourism, The Marina City Club (MDR) and a few more. Things did change, but not for the better.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I raced POPBRA from December of 1969 through the end of 1979 and was on the Board of Directors for all those years. It really wasn't until the early to mid 1980s that the sport went off the rails with bad leadership, bad ideas and a heavy infiltration of drug associated participants. No need to go into all of that now (maybe some other time) but ChiliPepperGeorge is on the right track. Offshore flourished in the 1970s because of regional 'production' and 'sportsman' classes. Entry fees were no where near $1000 and the prize money was enough to take care of basic racing expenses. And no, we never raced in a circle and didn't worry about thousands of spectators along the shoreline or on the piers. But the sport still attracted big-time race sponsors (on the west coast) like Hennessey, Barcardi, Bushmills Irish Whiskey, Citibank Nationall Travelers Checks, PSA Airlines, Long Beach Tourism, The Marina City Club (MDR) and a few more. Things did change, but not for the better.
"Drug associated particpants" you say.... hmmmmm. I for one would enjoy your take on that. Share as you like....

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
2FDAFB68-1747-4AE9-B1FA-AE76CB4CEAC5.jpeg

This is the Mystic named Envy that the Silverhook team bought and renamed J-Hook. This pic is from 2016 Key West Worlds.

It’ll be interesting to see what their new graphics look like.

Waterheater

Reaction score
That dude sunk some serious coin into Envy. Had the whole set up for racing. Then one day said F it and put it all up for sale. I think he only ran the boat a couple of time.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I was gonna try to roll to see them launch, but since it will be in the dark, I think I'll just roll to the end of the pier to watch the start.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
To your knowledge has anything changed in terms of time. Launch at 6:30 then take off from the pier at 7:15 ?
Nothing that I know of but haven't checked since I talked few days ago with the gal running event. Posted her info in earlier post this week. safe to say infos solid. BTW I got her contact off this thread showing event details if wanna dig

RaceTec

Reaction score
I caught a couple little videos already, wish there was a little better coverage. So few boats though...

Joker

Reaction score
Boats sound great from the house

HBCraig

Reaction score
Lucas Oil boat was haulin the mail. Sounded great. Chase helo too

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Erick Bryner is the one putting on this ocean cup thing.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Not to thread cap but . . . .This year's HB Air Show is sure to rightfully draw a huge amount of observation boats. With good weather and sea conditions, it's an amazing and very patriotic day on the water.

Taboma

Reaction score
You'd think with the Airshow, and the boat traffic it draws, an offshore race with a course setup that could be observed from the boat fleet, would be ideal. Very much like the Keys or other more inshore / offshore Florida race events.
Seems I recall many years ago they coordinated an offshore type race inside San Diego Bay, that ran in conjunction with the Air Races. It was fairly easily observable from various shoreline vantage points, including from Coronado Island Promenade.
In the late 60's I'd always run my boat down between Laguna and Newport to observe the Offshore Powerboat races, POPBRA I believe. Betty Cook in Kaama and Ole Rocky in the Benihana boat. In that location I was getting them coming past me going both directions. 👍

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Just a heads up in case anyone is interested.
I spaced it last year, but may go down to watch them launch at Sunset Aquatic in the am. Maybe take my camera and shoot some pics.
Here's a link to the website. . .
We posted up just south of HB pier Friday @ 10:15am and never saw the finish ... I guess they were early. Airshow was best of the 4 years they've done it. Pics on different thread....