WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ocean Cup - The Revival of True Offshore Racing

FastLoudPhoto

Tommy Gun's Backup Guy
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone here familiar with Ocean Cup? As a founding team member of the Southern California race from Huntington Beach around Catalina Island, I wanted to take a minute to introduce to you the Organization, the Races, and the Opportunities.

20211001_OceanCup - Daren VanRyte - Ariel Boat Shots - Carver MTI CC3 IMG_3755 e.jpg 20211001_OceanCup - Daren VanRyte - Ariel Boat Shots - LucasOilE3 IMG_2823 e.jpg 20211001_OceanCup - Daren VanRyte - Ariel Boat Shots - Patriotic Duty IMG_0050 e.jpg 20211001_OceanCup - Daren VanRyte - Ariel Boat Shots - Patriotic Duty IMG_0106 e.jpg 20211001_Ocean Cup_Boats On Main_©FastLoudPhotography_IMG_4434.jpg

Photos by Daren VanRyte @OCphotographics

Ocean Cup's mission is to get back to the roots of offshore powerboat racing where the racing was truly done "off shore". Ocean Cup currently produces 2 - 4 long distance endurance style races per year, with the goal of setting long distance, point-to-point time and speed records which are internationally sanctioned and recognized by the APBA and UIM. Consider it as the Baja 1000 of boat racing.

With the first race of 2022 complete (the Gateway Marathon from Palm Beach, FL to the Bahama's) the focus is now on the two upcoming races on the West Coast, and a third in Trinidad-Tobago as part of the world famous "Great Race". Ocean Cup is currently seeking race teams who would like to pit themselves against mother nature for the chance to set a global world record for the fastest time established for each race location. There are various classes available for obtaining a world record.

If you are interested in participating, please visit www.oceancup.com for more information on race locations, registration, and safety requirements.
There are also fantastic sponsorship opportunities available with significant advertising and media exposure. For race participation, please email Keli Gunn at [email protected]

In addition to Race Teams, we are also seeking volunteers who are available to act as support boats during each of the west coast events. Please email me for more information: [email protected]

20211001_OceanCup - Daren VanRyte - Ariel Boat Shots - Carver MTI CC3 IMG_3755 e.jpg
20211001_OceanCup - Daren VanRyte - Ariel Boat Shots - LucasOilE3 IMG_2823 e.jpg
20211001_OceanCup - Daren VanRyte - Ariel Boat Shots - Patriotic Duty IMG_0050 e.jpg
20211001_OceanCup - Daren VanRyte - Ariel Boat Shots - Patriotic Duty IMG_0106 e.jpg
20211001_Ocean Cup_Boats On Main_©FastLoudPhotography_IMG_4434.jpg

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Following.... hey Tank. Bet this has your eye.... we all like going back in time right.... you said SoCal had a somewhat vigorous Offshore community once upon a time.

Hoodoo

Reaction score
Does anyone know what avg speed it takes to be competitive in the B limited 30’-35’ V class in any of these runs?

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Competitive is irrelevant, survival is the first goal. Just finishing is a solid bragging right.

Then you have to account for the sea. Some days 75mph isn't enough, some days 40 is too much.

Hoodoo

Reaction score
Yeah competitive is probably the wrong word and I understand conditions dictate most everything. I just don’t see any coverage or info of the <35’ open cockpit boats.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Kyle and Crew from WOT ran this 28' Bat Boat last year.

*** WORLD RECORD ***
2022 #OCEANCUP World Speed Records
Huntington Beach around Catalina - 112.5miles
Jolly Roger II
Kyle Lancon and Tim Pattison
1 hour 42 minutes 31 seconds
Average: 65.84mph Top: 90.06mph
Class B <30'
Video: Fast Loud Photography
FB_IMG_1673222037178.jpg
FB_IMG_1673221910258.jpg

FastLoudPhoto

Tommy Gun's Backup Guy
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what avg speed it takes to be competitive in the B limited 30’-35’ V class in any of these runs?
Yeah competitive is probably the wrong word and I understand conditions dictate most everything. I just don’t see any coverage or info of the <35’ open cockpit boats.
Yeah, @Crazyhippy is correct about what dictates the average speed. What I will say is that the reason you may not see coverage for that class is that we haven't had many entries, if any, for that size and class. What that means, is that you may only need to enter the race in order to set the new world record. For instance, Austin, in the 42 MTI center console holds the current world record around Catalina Island, because to date he is the only one to have entered and finished in that class. So far, he goes uncontested.

Hoodoo

Reaction score
Yeah, @Crazyhippy is correct about what dictates the average speed. What I will say is that the reason you may not see coverage for that class is that we haven't had many entries, if any, for that size and class. What that means, is that you may only need to enter the race in order to set the new world record. For instance, Austin, in the 42 MTI center console holds the current world record around Catalina Island, because to date he is the only one to have entered and finished in that class. So far, he goes uncontested.

That’s interesting.

Tank, are you hearin this?

FastLoudPhoto

Tommy Gun's Backup Guy
Staff member
Reaction score
I seem to recall a lot of push back on entry fees
Not gonna lie. Its not exactly cheap. But they are based on participation vs. costs vs. sponsorship. More entries and sponsors will help reduce entry fees, so spread the word.