WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Octane Marine (Phx) - Detailing

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Octane Marine and their detailing services? They're pretty well known for their other services, but I haven't heard anything about their detailing.

I'm trying to retire from taking care of it myself, but I don't want to spend the money if they just do a mediocre job. I'm pretty (read: very) picky.

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

Reactions: DWC

EBT531

Reaction score
I stored my boat there for a while as well as had him do work on my boat. I never saw a bad detail while I was there. I don't think he would let a hack be associated with his shop

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What happened to Perry?
We still take all of our vehicles to him, but I think they specialize more with cars and paint, rather than gelcoat. We did take the boat to him when we first bought it, and that was when I taught myself how to do it because I knew I could do it better. Perhaps it's a difference in products, or whatever the case may be, but my wax job can withstand the brutal summer sun and heat and theirs didn't.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like shiny things. [emoji16]
20170916151654_IMG_0337-01-02.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We still take all of our vehicles to him, but I think they specialize more with cars and paint, rather than gelcoat. We did take the boat to him when we first bought it, and that was when I taught myself how to do it because I knew I could do it better. Perhaps it's a difference in products, or whatever the case may be, but my wax job can withstand the brutal summer sun and heat and theirs didn't.

No matter who you take it to the owner is always going to be able to do it better, because they can spend more time with the vehicle.. Like Paul said just be realistic with your expectations.

RD

Reactions: DWC

Warlock1

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Octane Marine and their detailing services? They're pretty well known for their other services, but I haven't heard anything about their detailing.

I'm trying to retire from taking care of it myself, but I don't want to spend the money if they just do a mediocre job. I'm pretty (read: very) picky.

LOL DB said "very"

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
100%. When I have time, my details are always better.
But I spend days on the project.
Wanna come over? You have extra time this time of year, right? [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji4]

Singleton

Reaction score
Wanna come over? You have extra time this time of year, right? [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji4]

Yeh, mine is scheduled with a shop in Havasu. Unless you want to pay my hourly. Just sent an RFP - and I am getting billed at 785 an hour. Wish I made a % of that. Hell, boat is still in shop getting some work done.

AJ Hoffman

Reaction score
Guess my expectation that a professional would be better at doing it is wrong?

I use to think the same thing... I had to teach myself as well. When I have 0 experience in your field of expertise an you tell me that my boat probably going have to wet sand to get some cloudiness out of it, because you couldn’t get it buffing it... my buddy drops off buffer I’ve never used an a half bottle of 3M fine cut + wax in 1, half day later boat is glossy smooth no cloudiness. I even called the detail dude out about it, that how come I know absolutely nothing about applying product but I can do a better job than you. Had nothing to say other than what did I use.... nothing like paying for services an services not being rendered... I know every place is not like this but I don’t have time to take it to big cities or down to Havasu just for a detail. The run of the mill detail shops/Mobil now days are not real “detail” shops. So I feel ya on being confused about taking your boat or what ever it maybe somewhere “professionally” an having to have your expectations in check about the outcome.... 🙄.

USMC2010

Reaction score

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm still trying to process you letting someone else detail your boat. [emoji3064]
I know, me too. I just don't have the time anymore, really. It also wasn't worth dealing with the next 3 days of terrible back pain from it too.

gqchris

Reaction score
I know, me too. I just don't have the time anymore, really. It also wasn't worth dealing with the next 3 days of terrible back pain from it too.

I agree. More time using the boat is the key. The goal is to maximize the time on the water! It turned out great!

J5Daytona

Reaction score
Boat looks great ! I used charlie at octane to do some stuff on my new to me daytona , as sometimes happens there was a slight problem with something they had done . I then experienced something that I honestly never have in the world of boat repair facilities . I called and spoke to Rick about the problem and he didnt try to deny anything just responded with a matter of fact " get it over here and we will get it taken care of " . Yesterday morning at 7:05 Charlie called wondering why he hasnt seen the boat yet , absolutely top notch service after the fact . The whole crew at Octane are really on top of things , which is why I can say nobody besides Octane Marine will ever touch this Daytona as long as I own it .