WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Odyssey Battery Issue

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
So I have searched and couldn't find anything regarding this online except for one thread that didn't really give me any answers.

This trip out, I noticed my port battery was hot to the touch versus the stbd being normal. Everytime we get off the lake, I turn the batteries off, flip the breaker for the stereo and plug it in to the onboard ProMariner ProTournament 360.

We ran 5 days straight on the lake and the battery stayed hot. I took the battery out of the boat this morning and now it is cooled down.

20210614_183512.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20210614_103902.jpg
    20210614_103902.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 52

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Massive draw, short, or internal short. Load test it out of the boat see what it does

BingerFang

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I would swap the batteries and see if that same battery heats up on the other side. If so I’d get rid of the battery. It could be a manufacture defect and odyssey might even replace it for free.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I would swap the batteries and see if that same battery heats up on the other side. If so I’d get rid of the battery. It could be a manufacture defect and odyssey might even replace it for free.

This...but its out so go test it. Is this the battery that is the "house" or engine battery? Or are yours combined?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
This...but its out so go test it. Is this the battery that is the "house" or engine battery? Or are yours combined?
This appears to be the stereo battery. STBD is the engine battery.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
This appears to be the stereo battery. STBD is the engine battery.

I'd test the battery but if its the stereo getting a constant draw I could see it being warm..im assuming your amps are pretty warm at the same time? Or is this with the stereo off?

Did you ever discharge it under 10v? I know it can kill Odessey and they won't warranty them if so..I guess they can see if thats the issue?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I'd test the battery but if its the stereo getting a constant draw I could see it being warm..im assuming your amps are pretty warm at the same time? Or is this with the stereo off?

Did you ever discharge it under 10v? I know it can kill Odessey and they won't warranty them if so..I guess they can see if thats the issue?
Hit the stereo breaker and that kills it so shouldn't be drawing, but it was still warm. Did get a low voltage warning from the stereo when I had it only running on the one battery. This was after only running the stereo for about an hour and we can usually run it all day with no problem.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Hit the stereo breaker and that kills it so shouldn't be drawing, but it was still warm. Did get a low voltage warning from the stereo when I had it only running on the one battery. This was after only running the stereo for about an hour and we can usually run it all day with no problem.

Id get it tested tomorrow..may have a dead cell or something.

Singleton

Reaction score
Battery somehow got damaged, due to being overcharged or internal short.

Also, double check your onboard ProMariner to see if wired correctly.

fishing fool

Reaction score
Take it to wired4sound, Davey can load test it for you. I even think he has some in stock

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I was just recently told leaving the boat plugged in all the time is not the greatest for the batteries

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I was just recently told leaving the boat plugged in all the time is not the greatest for the batteries
The smart chargers don't constantly charge them, they fill them and then maintain them. If you leave batteries sitting for too long with no charge, they die.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
The smart chargers don't constantly charge them, they fill them and then maintain them. If you leave batteries sitting for too long with no charge, they die.

That’s what I figured and actually why I installed the onboard charger, but I just had a battery replaced over the weekend and was told leaving them plugged in all the time is bad for them over time. I actually meant to start a thread about it, I’ve just been busy.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
That’s what I figured and actually why I installed the onboard charger, but I just had a battery replaced over the weekend and was told leaving them plugged in all the time is bad for them over time. I actually meant to start a thread about it, I’ve just been busy.

Advantage was pretty clear when we bought our boat (with odyssey batteries) that the boat needed to be plugged in whenever we weren't using it. Assuming it all depends on your charger etc... But we've had zero issues with the batteries doing it.

Singleton

Reaction score

comes down to type of battery.
If sealed, no issue leaving battery charger/maintainer plugged in.
If flooded, best not to, unless you are checking water levels monthly

Boat 405

Reaction score
I've had odyssey's on Battery Tenders for years, never a problem. I have had 2 in every diesel truck i've ever owned. I've had one or two in every boat for the past 15 years. I've always left them on Battery Tenders.

I've had a couple go bad, but nothing out of the ordinary. One showed 12.8 volts without any load, apply a small load and it would go to nada. The second one just died. Like it was disconnected internally. Odyssey warrantied both.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I run a odyssey battery charger on mine 24/7 no problems so far.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I literally said the exact same thing but here’s the conversation. I double checked to make sure I didn’t mis read what my pops was told.
7BB5656B-17AB-4B32-834C-FF054A854A3B.png
5A25D7F7-D7BD-47DF-B380-0E8FC56A623D.png

DaveH

Reaction score
this is a charging issue and will damage the battery.

the problem is......the alternator can't tell there are two batteries hooked up. when the batteries are in an unbalanced state of charge (one run down from the stereo and one full) you over charge one battery because of the low state of the other. this will destroy the battery over time.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

My dumbass forgot to bring the battery home yesterday and I didn't have time to run over to Wired 4 Sound in the morning, so it is sitting on the floor of my garage. I am going to have my co worker, who is renting the house this weekend, bring it home for me and then I will get it sorted out before our next trip out the week after 4th.

Singleton

Reaction score
My dumbass forgot to bring the battery home yesterday and I didn't have time to run over to Wired 4 Sound in the morning, so it is sitting on the floor of my garage. I am going to have my co worker, who is renting the house this weekend, bring it home for me and then I will get it sorted out before our next trip out the week after 4th.

i am heading to Havasu tonight (planned trip with another family - we will be well done by Monday with the forecasted heat).
if you coworker forgets, ping me and I will bring battery home for you

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
i am heading to Havasu tonight (planned trip with another family - we will be well done by Monday with the forecasted heat).
if you coworker forgets, ping me and I will bring battery home for you

Thanks brother, appreciate it.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
Batteries can get warm with use and charging, however they shouldn’t stay warm for very long after. Since it stayed warm all weekend it sounds like an internal short.
There have been post in the past about the damage a battery can do if it vents in a boat. You can test it to confirm, but I would replace it. Much cheaper than a new interior

$hot

Reaction score

Sorry it was the battery charger, but I still wouldn’t put your odyssey back in

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
A battery sitting on a concrete or dirt floor is a great way to kill it.

$hot

Reaction score
I don't know the how, it's just what happens. I always have a piece of wood under it, at least.
One week won't matter.

Used to be true not any more

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

With an intelligent charger it is not bad for them at all and extends the life of the batteries.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I had alot of trouble with my odysseys over the years. I don't think they hold up that well in the heat.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
With an intelligent charger it is not bad for them at all and extends the life of the batteries.
Wonder why he would have said that. He obviously knows what charger is on the boat he just replaced the batteries 🤷‍♂️
All 3 are new now so hopefully good for a few years. Just need to find the fuse for my stereo amps. I think it blew

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Wonder why he would have said that. He obviously knows what charger is on the boat he just replaced the batteries 🤷‍♂️
All 3 are new now so hopefully good for a few years. Just need to find the fuse for my stereo amps. I think it blew

Some people don’t know or don’t trust smart chargers. If you are that worried, leave it connected and put the charger on one of those mechanical wall timers people use for lamps and stuff.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Some people don’t know or don’t trust smart chargers. If you are that worried, leave it connected and put the charger on one of those mechanical wall timers people use for lamps and stuff.
I’m not worried. Thought it was weird that’s what my dad was told, but I’m not an electrician or subject matter expert.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’m not worried. Thought it was weird that’s what my dad was told, but I’m not an electrician or subject matter expert.

The $70 batteries in my boat lasted 6 years. On the smart float charger whenever I’m not at the house, and all winter.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Any idea what caused the cell to go bad
Detail guys left the battery on while connected to the charger is all I can think of, or not flipping stereo breaker and it being plugged in. Could be a few things.

Going to keep Perko on ALL, all the time instead of switching to 1 for Stereo.