WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Off Road - Trail Mapping for OHV

Sbarry

Reaction score
I know I have seen a few threads of guys asking about map overlays to show marked trails, or points of interest. My "bury a body" friend's younger brother runs a couple websites. One is https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/ which is an online parts store, but in the last couple years he has started another one, writing software for OHV trail mapping on Lowrance GPS. I talked to him about some of your guys' questions regarding trails in the Arizona area, and his comment was he can do that. He just needs specifics on the areas you're looking for. He will process the satellite imagery, too, which will give you great detail.

Check out the website for the GPS systems he already has going to see if this is something any of you would be interested in, and I will let him know.

Site for the GPS is: https://ruggedroutes.com/

TCHB

Reaction score
I need one for the Glamis Sand Dunes.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
We need gps trail mapping for the following

Havasu to topock
Topock to havasu landing (might not be possible)
Std wash to cabin
Std wash to desert bar
Desert bar to bluewater

That is what I need anyone else

2Driver

Reaction score

Havasu to topock
Std wash to cabin
Std wash to desert bar
Desert bar to bluewater

I usally build a route in google earth, save it then import it into the Garmin.

The pain for me is having topo map on gps vs satellite mapping. Topo is great but you dont get all the misc trails or new cut trails. I find myself going back and forth between the topo to see where I am and satellite to view to see reality of the terrian and trails The other problem is not having sat view in the back counrty once you leave cell coverage.

Sbarry

Reaction score

Havasu to topock
Std wash to cabin
Std wash to desert bar
Desert bar to bluewater

Cool, perfect suggestions... I will let him know.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Need Calico, Johnson Valley (The Hammers) and Stoddard Wells for starters....

Sbarry

Reaction score
Need Calico, Johnson Valley (The Hammers) and Stoddard Wells for starters....

His response was he has Johnson Valley done with the most complete trail map of the Hammers he's ever seen. Calicos available and is a free download. And Stoddard Wells he will get done

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Thanks. I may have to buy this setup so I don't get the vets lost. I don't mind exploring, but others hate being late for dinner! Lol

Havalife

Reaction score
IMG_2109.jpg

Havalife

Reaction score
IMG_2110.jpg
Here is a snapshot on my iPhone of the cabin using LeadNav, the other one is Gaiagps

Havalife

Reaction score
I am sure you can I will check. I know I had someone get a trail off my Ipad when we reran a trail, I think he did it by hotspot.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I usally build a route in google earth, save it then import it into the Garmin.

The pain for me is having topo map on gps vs satellite mapping. Topo is great but you dont get all the misc trails or new cut trails. I find myself going back and forth between the topo to see where I am and satellite to view to see reality of the terrian and trails The other problem is not having sat view in the back counrty once you leave cell coverage.

There are a few gps apps that will let you download satellite imagery to use after you leave cell service. I use motion x gps. [emoji106]

Havalife

Reaction score
So could you share your routes if you wanted to or is there no way of doing that?

I was playing around with Gaiagps and you can export on email, Leadnav i think you have to use iTunes. you can use airdrop also on both.

2Driver

Reaction score
There are a few gps apps that will let you download satellite imagery to use after you leave cell service. I use motion x gps. [emoji106]

I have motionx as well. I only have the option to download tiles in topo, or street map or marine - where do you download sat tiles?

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I have motionx as well. I only have the option to download tiles in topo, or street map or marine - where do you download sat tiles?

Do a new custom map type and enter this for the address. You can name it whatever you want and then when you go to download you'll have this option

http://ecn.t2.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/h[Q]?g=761&mkt=en-us

It must be entered in exactly.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Any updates? Would like to get some trail maps for Havasu area and learn how to use the new Lowrance HDS.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
a little help, Its great to have a line though the map, but I want to see trails.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Not to totally side track this thread but you can buy a Topo card for most GPS units for about $100 and it has the same info you are looking for. Broken up by Western US, Eastern US, etc.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Not to totally side track this thread but you can buy a Topo card for most GPS units for about $100 and it has the same info you are looking for. Broken up by Western US, Eastern US, etc.
Where do you find these? I have a Lowrance unit in my car.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Here is a route I did years ago from Echo to Havasu Landing.... I used Google Earth to map it out.

Also gave this file to a buddy for Cabin... He used it to make his own gpx file when he went out there.

You can cache google maps to your phone so it doesn't need cell service.

Attachments

• HavasuLanding.zip
    83.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Cabin.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Ok so the guys with Lowrance systems......I spoke to SBarrys guy on the phone. He is sorting through massive data. He actually has the rights to all of lowrances information and maps. Since Lowrance was bought out they will no longer be making maps leaving us in limbo. Scotts guy said it was gonna take a little time before he had all the info downloaded and set up...It is a MASSIVE amount of data.

In the meantime I actually started doing this myself. I went through youtube site after youtube site. and finally found a guy that knows how to do it
SO its a pretty tedious process and actually takes a while to download the info and then put on your lowrance unit. If your just a little tech savvy you can do it yourself. I followed this guys instructions to the T and it works. I now have satellite imagery on my lowrance of the Havasu Area. I havent taken the time to do more and basically get everywhere we could possibly ride in havasu but what i have will get you to the cabin and has all of the city and the bison areas. I have not done north of Havasu yet. Glamis would really be easy to map and Ill be doing that this week as im heading there in two weeks.

Basically you need a set of files on an sd card that the Lowrance will read. Id be happy to let yall copy the files i have when im in havasu unless there is a way to share them somewhere. My havasu files takes up 5 gb.

Here is the youtube video to watch.

you will need to download SAS Planet here https://bitbucket.org/sas_team/sas.planet.bin/downloads/

You will need the Insight Pro Map Maker from Lowrance https://gofreemarine.com/developers/insight-map-creator/

Also adding google earth maps and waypoints for rides is SUPER Easy. You wont get the satelite imagery but you will have routes and all your waypoints labled and you can upload them straight into your Lowrance....

Im using a Lowrance HDS7 and its awesome....way more awesome since i put the satellite imagery in....i just need to put it all in lol

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
http://www.viewranger.com/en-US

Not trying to step on anyone's toes, but with this app on your phone, you can make your own trails and download to your phone all the different topo or satellite images that are available. Since you can store the maps on your phone, you don't have to have cell service to use em.

You can then upload your trails online so you can share em with whoever you want.

http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MjA5Mzc3

It's not cheap, but it works well for me.