WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Off road turbo subaru

racetrash

Reaction score
So I bought a big 5 seat dual sport, and it has a turbo subi running 110 octane VP. Motec ECU, don't know if it's locked or not. 10 t0 11 lbs boost when it spools. Any body just pull the turbo off an go NA??. Going to post on Race-Dezert also. Pete

sintax

Reaction score
So I bought a big 5 seat dual sport, and it has a turbo subi running 110 octane VP. Motec ECU, don't know if it's locked or not. 10 t0 11 lbs boost when it spools. Any body just pull the turbo off an go NA??. Going to post on Race-Dezert also. Pete

you could go NA, but it would require recamming it, and retuning it, and you’d be getting rid of a ton of HP.

which subi engine is it?

Meaney77

Reaction score
I would call Outfront Motorsports, I am sure they could help point you in the right direction.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I’d just detune it to run 5lbs of boost. My cousins car had a similar set up and it couldn’t stay out of the shop. Turned it down to run a few pounds of boost and it was finally dependable but still had the juice when needed.

Dana757

Reaction score
My STI made 20 pounds of boost on pump gas for years and years. I beat the snot out of that car and the engine just took it day in and day out.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I’d just detune it to run 5lbs of boost. My cousins car had a similar set up and it couldn’t stay out of the shop. Turned it down to run a few pounds of boost and it was finally dependable but still had the juice when needed.

This. Do this. Just drop the boost.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score

Why do you want to detune it? Is it breaking shit? What subi motor the 2.2 or the 2.5 or the later 2.5?

They are pretty robust power plants to boost, set up correctly.

racetrash

Reaction score
Why do you want to detune it? Is it breaking shit? What subi motor the 2.2 or the 2.5 or the later 2.5?

Twin cam. No build sheet on motor. How can i take some boost out, just dont need that much, can almost pull the front wheels.

sintax

Reaction score

guessing by needing to run the 110oct he’s probably lifting the heads

sintax

Reaction score
Twin cam. No build sheet on motor. How can i take some boost out, just dont need that much, can almost pull the front wheels.

what’s the wastegate situation? You’ll be adjusting either mechanically or electronically

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Subaru Motor Matrix
Here's a handy chart for Subaru's EJ 2.5L motor. This chart shows what you "generally" need to put on your shopping list to build a reliable motor based on the horsepower range you want to achieve. It's important to know the limits of your motor setup so you buy the right equipment, using the right motor core that's compatible for potential future upgrades.

"A man's gotta know his limits........... well do ya punk?" Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry

HP~200HP~270HP~330HP~400HP~450HP
2.5L SubaruStock Motor DOHC or SOHCStock Motor DOHC or SOHCStock Motor DOHC or SOHCUpgraded deck and Internals on DOHC or SOHCUpgraded deck and Internals on DOHC motor
ExhaustTurbo compatible exhaust (no turbo)Outfront Std jet coated Exhaust for T-3 TurboOutfront Super flow setup for external wastegate for T-3Outfront Super flow setup for external wastegate for T-3Outfront Super flow setup for external wastegate for T-3
ComputerEMS StingerEMS StingerEMS StingerEMS8860 or MotecEMS 8860 or Motec
Fuel91 octane105 octane110 Octane110 Octane110 Octane
TurboNoneOE Subaru TurboT3/T4 Turbo with external waste gateT3/T4 with external waste gateT-25 ball bearing with external waste gate
Waste GateNoneInternal with OE turboExternal gate with supported exhaust flangeExternal gate with supported exhaust flangeExternal gate with supported exhaust flange
Boost settingNone7-8lb for 27010lbs max15-17 lbs20 lbs
IntercoolerNoneNone
Outfront intercooler with scoopOutfront intercooler with scoop and blow off valveOutfront intercooler with scoop and blow off valve
Engine BlockStockStock, if the boost is set to <10lbsStock, if the boost is set to <10lbsOutfront closed deck blockOutfront closed deck block
RodsStockStock, if the boost is set to <10lbsStock, if the boost is set to <10lbsOutfront racing rodsOutfront racing rods
PistonsStockStock, if the boost is set to <10lbsStock, if the boost is set to <10lbsJE Racing PistonsJE Racing Pistons
IgnitionStockStock, if the boost is set to <10lbsStock, if the boost is set to <10lbsHi Output ignitorHi Output ignitor
Fuel systemStock injectors, fuel rails, and regulatorStock injectors with Bosch fuel regulator. New injectors and fuel rails are recommendedOutfront billet fuel rails, Bosch 50lb injectors, Bosch fuel regulatorOutfront billet fuel rails, Bosch 50lb injectors, Bosch fuel regulatorOutfront billet fuel rails, Bosch 72lb injectors, Bosch fuel regulator
Blowoff ValvenoneStock blow-off valve for OE turboNoneTialTial
A little insight on motor selection in the beginning can help you make the right choices before you buy your motor core. The above chart talks about 2.5L motors because it's the most popular. Here's a summary with more info on various Subaru displacements.

2.0L motors: This motor is a good choice for the budget minded if making a 2 seat car. With the right modifications you can pump up to 300HP out of this engine, great for a light car that weighs less than 1300lbs. JDM used motors can be bought for $1000 to $1500 depending on the version, year, and condition.

2.2L motors: The factory 2.2 turbo is a strong foundation for a motor package. The non turbo 2.2 is John's least favorite motor (for horse power)the non turboed version should not be turboed over 5 psi, and it needs injectors to add the turbo for adequate fuel delivery.

2.5L motors: This motor is the most popular by far, primarily because of the possibilities to build upon the incredible infrastructure of the engine to build a motor from 200HP to 600HP. JDM motor cores can be bought for $1500 to $2000 depending on the year, type, and condition. The DOHC non turbo versions come in cars from 1996 to 1998 and are very plentiful. DOHC versions have larger intake manifolds than later model SOHC versions for slightly better flow. SOHC motors come in midrange Subaru automobiles from 1999 to present. These versions have slightly better low end torque. If you're targeting a mild 300HP engine these later model SOHC motor with stock injectors will usually suffice.

3.0L motors: These 6 cylinders motors are gaining in popularity. They weigh about 75lbs more than a 2.5L motor with 4 cylinders, and they are only 1.5" longer too. This is perfect for sandrail applications, especially if you want to use 91 octane fuel while being over 75lbs lighter than a Honda 3.2L or 3.5L.

3.3L motors: These 6 cylinder motors are about the same weight as a Honda 3.2 motor. But they offer a much lower center of gravity with the boxer style motor, like all Subaru motors. Originally used in Subaru's high end SVX sports car, this 3.3L offers lots of low end torque and runs naturally aspirated on 91 octane fuel to deliver a great performing budget motor with over 240HP. These motors are not recommended for turbo charging. It's better to use the 3.0L if a turbo motor with race gas is in your future.

sintax

Reaction score
Shouldn’t be at 10 PSI. Not even close.

hah I didn’t catch that in the first post. I assumed he had it cranked with that fuel. I have a buddy with EJ25 with a monster 72mm BW turbo who’s pushing 32psi on e85, he’s got a whole slough of issues he’s worked through. That was one of them.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
hah I didn’t catch that in the first post. I assumed he had it cranked with that fuel. I have a buddy with EJ25 with a monster 72mm BW turbo who’s pushing 32psi on e85, he’s got a whole slough of issues he’s worked through. That was one of them.

Yea at that boost level certainly!!

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
A subi on 10lbs of boost does not need 110.
Subi with zero boost is useless, lol

A stock turbo with bov can be adjusted to run that little of boost on 91
Boost controller would be best results minimal boost for most driving or high boost when you want to scoot

I was running nearly 30lbs of boost on e85 on outfront built motor.

Talk to John @ outfront he’s built all the subi’s I ran in the sand
He’ll either adjust what ya got, or he’ll give you credit on what ya got towards what ya need

jones performance

Reaction score
more than likely gary at C&G built that engine as thats who grant uses for subi motors in his cars unless customer brings engine from another builder.

racetrash

Reaction score
Not sure, car is a 2010 predator we think. Has outfront fuel rails and crawford breathers. Thank you.