WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Off Roading with Car to Car Comms - A Quick Guide

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
This is just a quick guide to help you to put together a simple, yet cheap communications setup for your off road adventures. This will work for dirt bikes, quads, UTVs etc. There are some compromises, but this setup is useful and cost effective. You can also add to it as you see fit. There will be 2 parts to cover - car to car, and in car communications.

I wanted to get into more group rides and became frustrated that I had to spend over $1000 to get a communication setup for my RZR. I don't do group rides all the time, but when I do, I'd like to be able to talk to others in my group. If not just to BS with friends, It is useful for safety, or to just to be able to transmit my status - Did I make a wrong turn and lose the group? Did I get a flat tire and need some help? Is there a giant rock in the trail others should look out for?

I figured there had to be a cost effective way around this issue. As I said above, there are 2 elements - in car communication, and car to car communication. I will start with car to car communications.

For car to car communications, at minimum you need a radio. Luckily there is a wonderful solution, for $25. A handheld 2 way radio! It comes with a charger and battery, and the battery will easily last all day.

This is pretty much the exact same 2 way radio that you can get from Rugged Radios, it just isn't blue, isn't pre programmed, and is $60 cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007H4VT7A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

uv5r.jpg

With this you can punch in any frequency your group or other people are on, and boom, you can talk to them. But this radio is not "programmed". What that means is that there are not frequencies in memory. Your (my) baller friends with high dollar communication setups say "We are on Checkers 1!". You don't know what that even means right now. That is where the programming comes in.

https://www.ruggedradios.com/PDF/Frequencies/Frequency-RH7X.pdf

That is the list of common pre-programmed off road frequencies and their names. You can print that out, and keep it and just punch them is as needed, or you can put them into the memory of your radio with your computer. With the programming cable and a free piece of software called CHIRP, you can "program" any channel you want into the memory of your radio. You can also set all the options in the radio. If you have more than one radio, this makes a lot of sense, because you can simply clone radios and copy one config to as many radios as you have.

If you are scared of computers, you can also do this programming manually with the keypad on the 2 way radio itself, it is just more tedious.

Cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUB0ONK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CHIRP software
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

Ok so now you have a radio, and some frequencies stored in it. You can talk to other people. Expect to get a range of 1-2 miles reliably out of it. You can get up to 3 miles, but that is if it is completely flat.

Your radio is totally useless while driving or riding though. With just a radio, you need to stop to use it, and cant hear it while you are moving. To make this thing more useful you need a headset or helmet kit.

If you are in CA, you will need a helmet kit. These are earphones, and a mic that go in your helmet. To talk to others you will need a PTT (Push to talk) button mounted somewhere.

When you are done, you will have something like below:
helmet kit.jpg

This is where you want to spend your money. Higher quality here will mean better clarity for you as a listener, and those listening to you. While there are $20 solutions for this, they are not the best. You may want to spend $80-$100 for something really nice, or somewhere in between. This may be where you want to shop at Rugged, PCI or Avcomm, etc to get a helmet kit. You will need one and also a Baofeng/Kenwood radio adapter. As you can see it all plugs into the side of your radio, that is the adapter. You need to make sure you have the following:

1. Headset and mic
2. PTT button - this can be Velcro or hard mounted somewhere, you will choose what works best.
3. Kenwood/Baofeng radio adapter for whatever plug style your headset is.

Be aware that there are a few different styles of plugs - Offroad/Nexus/Elite/7mm plugs are all the same for these applications, just named different. So just pay attention as you shop for a headset.

Again, you can buy all of this as a kit from Rugged but it will cost over $200 for everything I just over viewed. You will be in for $100 and change doing this yourself.

Headsets -
For those not wearing helmets, you can get a headset. This again can get as expensive as you want to make it.

For the most part, headsets have 2 connector styles - a 5 pin and a Nexus/offroad style connector. Just be aware of the type of plug on the headset you are looking at, as again you will need a Baofeng/Kenwood adapter to plug into your radio, and whatever connector is on your headset.

There are headsets that have integrated PTT buttons. These are typically 5 pin. I recommend this style as it will be cheaper and simpler. The downside is that you have to touch your ear for PTT.

You can see what i'm talking about here. The red button is what you need to push to talk to others.

H42-CF-MD.jpg

Headsets are available in over the head or behind the head styles, that is just personal preference. Also many have an audio jack so you can listen to music. Some also have independent volume control. If there is not independent volume control, the volume knob on the radio is your volume control.

To connect your 5 pin headset to your Baofeng radio there are a couple options. For a SXS use this cable. It is 6' long and will allow you to mount your radio anywhere you desire.

https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_36&products_id=1725

If you want to clip the radio to your harness or seat belt in your SXS, your shirt or are using it on a dirt bike or quad, get the shorter coiled cable.

https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_74_81&products_id=137

Again, if you go with an offroad/nexus connector on your headset, the adapters are available for those as well.

To make life easier you may want to mount your radio in your SXS. Most mounts hold the radio by the belt clip, so you can take the radio off the mount easily. There are a number of options for that. There are padded "handheld radio" boxes that mount to a roll cage. Many racing manufactureres like Joes, and All Star make those. Axia Alloys, makes a nice mount that also mounts to a roll bar if you get a roll bar attachment, otherwise the mount itself can bolt to a flat surface. Rugged also has a 2 way handheld mount that mounts to a flat surface. Alternatively, you can typically clip the radio to your harness or seat belt.

That covers cheap car to car communications. For the Desert Bash I had 2 of these setups and my passenger and I were able to communicate, but it was also broadcast to our entire group. So it was effective, but less than ideal.

For in car communications you need an intercom. This is where you will start spending some more money. Generally these intercom setups are $200-600 depending on what features you want and how many seats you want.

With an intercom you don't need PTT to talk to others in the car, you just speak. Rugged, Avcomm, PCI, and others have intercom setups.

The good news is that largely everything you purchased above can be reused. Headsets and helmet kits can be reused, however you may need some longer cables or adapters. With the intercom you can now use your handheld as your car to car radio with the proper adapter cable (if you have a 5 pin to 2 pin Baofeng headset cable I referenced above you already have everything you need). Your headsets now plug into the intercom, and the intercom plugs into the radio. when someone hits a PTT button, they are talking to another car, but you can just talk between yourselves when the intercom is on. Intercoms are either live mic (mic always on) or VOX (mic turns on when you talk). Vox is more expensive, but a bit nicer.

If you wanted to build an complete communications setup for 2 people you could do it for well under $500.

I am actually picking up this 2 person setup tomorrow. It is $425 for 2 headsets, a VOX 4 person intercom and the wiring and cabling needed to make it work. You can simply plug in a handheld to the intercom and have a complete low budget full communication setup for under $500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Off-Road-Intercom-2-Place-designed-for-rugged-use/132538267682?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649

Same kit but with helmet kits:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Off-Road-I...h=item1edbe4f807:g:9FMAAOSwIxxaqZw5:rk:7:pf:0

They also have 4 person kits for $675.

To get any of these packages outside of EBay, Sampson Racing Communications is the vendor.
SampsonRacing.com is their website.
http://www.sampsonracing.com/

I will have some pictures and reviews when I get it and install it all in a couple weeks. I hope this clarifies some details around this stuff for people. It took me a little reading and research to wade through it all.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Will these handhelds couple to a roof or rollbar mounted antenna ? Although line of sight being the limiting factor regardless of antenna location --- right ?

racetrash

Reaction score
Looks like a troll for Rugged...Call PCI and get it all done right. I have worked with Weatherman and his son Scott for more than 30 years...RACETRASHWIRING, PeteDutton...the only comms i will use, support is the best...multiple champonships with my wiring and there comms...there is no better

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Cool write up!! Lotta good info in there.

I have all diy coms in my race truck/pit. I use old police radios, like kenwoods and Motorola maratracs. Pretty cheap, high wattage and easy to use. I wire my own Helmets with pci kits, and pump fresh air to them using a bilge blower, jacuzzi hose and a helmet inlet from speedway.

Thanks for writing all the above down, pretty thorough!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Will these handhelds couple to a roof or rollbar mounted antenna ? Although line of sight being the limiting factor regardless of antenna location --- right ?

Correct. Yea there are options for extended antennas for the handhelds. They come with a 7 inch antanna. There are 15 inch “ducky” antennas for them on Amazon for $15 or so. Rugged does offer a magnetic roof mount antenna for them.

https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1823

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Better get those baofengs before they can't sell them.
https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-980A1.pdf
Also if you do your own programming get the authentic cable or else you may have problems.
Good read here,
https://www.rzrforums.net/lighting-stereo-electrical/525838-intercom-car-car-communication.html
Rugged radios are stupid expensive and I tried multiple times to get info and prices from them and I got nothing.
So I went on my own since I couldn't see spending $900 on a bluetooth intercom headset system.
I already had Cardo Scala G4 system on the motorcycle helmets and attached them to some Harbor freight muffs for a total of $12 AND a free flashlight. :)
It's amazing that there are no wires and listen to music and talk to my wife without static.
Trying to find a bit more comfortable muffs
20181127_122929 by 185 EZ, on Flickr

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Cool write up!! Lotta good info in there.

I have all diy coms in my race truck/pit. I use old police radios, like kenwoods and Motorola maratracs. Pretty cheap, high wattage and easy to use. I wire my own Helmets with pci kits, and pump fresh air to them using a bilge blower, jacuzzi hose and a helmet inlet from speedway.

Thanks for writing all the above down, pretty thorough!

Awesome! There is lots of DIY/second hand style options for this type of stuff!

I think my group of friends is now just going to carry the handhelds on the boats next summer. Way easier to talk about where to beach or where we want to go that way.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Better get those baofengs before they can't sell them.
https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-980A1.pdf
Also if you do your own programming get the authentic cable or else you may have problems.
Rugged radios are stupid expensive and I tried multiple times to get info and prices from them and I got nothing.
So I went on my own since I couldn't see spending $900 on a bluetooth intercom headset system.
I already had Cardo Scala G4 system on the motorcycle helmets and attached them to some Harbor freight muffs for a total of $12 AND a free flashlight. :)
It's amazing that there are no wires and listen to music and talk to my wife without static.
Trying to find a bit more comfortable muffs
20181127_122929 by 185 EZ, on Flickr

Yea that is true. FWIW the programming cable I referenced works well, and the driver should download automagically.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Looks like a troll for Rugged...Call PCI and get it all done right. I have worked with Weatherman and his son Scott for more than 30 years...RACETRASHWIRING, PeteDutton...the only comms i will use, support is the best...multiple champonships with my wiring and there comms...there is no better

How did you get that out of what I posted?

I have no affiliation to anyone. In fact I’m saying don’t buy PCI or Rugged’s handheld radios, as there are cheaper alternatives.

Rugged’s site is better than PCIs, or they have a better selection of accessories that make figuring this crap out easier.

The stuff I’m buying is actually Avcomm, so again, I’m unsure of why you think I’m a shill for Rugged, while you are pimping the guys you use.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
And if you’re going to narrate your whole damned trip get off of weatherman. I’ve just started playing “Joy Ride” with people on there. There are a ton of open channels yet most enjoy hearing themselves talk on WeatherMan :mad::mad::mad:

satellitemike

Reaction score

I have no affiliation to anyone. In fact I’m saying don’t buy PCI or Rugged’s handheld radios, as there are cheaper alternatives.

Rugged’s site is better than PCIs, or they have a better selection of accessories that make figuring this crap out easier.

The stuff I’m buying is actually Avcomm, so again, I’m unsure of why you think I’m a shill for Rugged, while you are pimping the guys you use.
Don't worry about others opinions, you will find those that would complain if hung them w a new rope!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

A troll for rugged? LOL It's an RDP member posting a easy how to "car to car" and "in car" comms and none of the stuff is rugged?

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
And if you’re going to narrate your whole damned trip get off of weatherman. I’ve just started playing “Joy Ride” with people on there. There are a ton of open channels yet most enjoy hearing themselves talk on WeatherMan :mad::mad::mad:

So literally every time I go out with my friends I end up turning the damn thing off.. I'm cruising along trying to listen to my music and they are yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap

And I be like SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!! :D Then I turn it off.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Speaking of which I have a little problem with my Car to Car, and could really use someone that knows how to dial in the antenna. I think I might have a bad ground or something? My range is for absolute shit. And I know it's not a line of site problem.

RD

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score

Sweet!
Can you get us a deal if we do a group buy???

:D:p

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Sweet!
Can you get us a deal if we do a group buy???

:D:p

I’ll ask tomorrow when I talk to them.

I think I’m going to get a full intercom and radio package from them with their 25 watt in car radio.

I was just going to use the handheld and hardwire it to the car, but this radio is a small form factor, and seems like a good solution and the price is reasonable.

DLC

Reaction score
Speaking of which I have a little problem with my Car to Car, and could really use someone that knows how to dial in the antenna. I think I might have a bad ground or something? My range is for absolute shit. And I know it's not a line of site problem.

RD

How is your antenna wire ran thru your car, it could be a problem....

I’m no expert

77charger

Reaction score
pretty much the kind of set up i use im able to hear good but to talk i need to slow it down as my ptt and helmet kit aint that great.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

RD
We had problems with my buddies PCI setup, turned out that the routing of his PTT wires were causing interference! Who would have thought? Moved those well away from any other wiring and all is now good.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Brother in law has those baofengs. They work great! After reading this thread im gonna order some myself... For the sxs i dont have.. Lmao! :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We had problems with my buddies PCI setup, turned out that the routing of his PTT wires were causing interference! Who would have thought? Moved those well away from any other wiring and all is now good.

I don't think that's it.. I think it's the ground on the antenna or there is some calibration you can do with resistance.

RD

renodaytona

Reaction score

RD

Is the actual antenna cut to the right length for the frequency you are using?

Englewood

Reaction score
I am so unimpressed with Rugged. The range is terrible! The guys with PCI come in crystal clear.

For example, i am Car A, I can communicate with Car B, who can communicate with CAR C and myself, but from Car A, I cannot get CAR C. So frustrating.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I am so unimpressed with Rugged. The range is terrible! The guys with PCI come in crystal clear.

For example, i am Car A, I can communicate with Car B, who can communicate with CAR C and myself, but from Car A, I cannot get CAR C. So frustrating.
Did you try a different prop?

I have rugged and can go for miles. Just this last weekend I was talking with someone who was 5 miles plus out

Englewood

Reaction score
Did you try a different prop?

I have rugged and can go for miles. Just this last weekend I was talking with someone who was 5 miles plus out
What is a prop?

We've tried all channels...It's strange...I can communicate with most cars, but some can I hear me but nothing from them?

mitch6601

HMFIC
Reaction score
So literally every time I go out with my friends I end up turning the damn thing off.. I'm cruising along trying to listen to my music and they are yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap

And I be like SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!! :D Then I turn it off.

RD

Exactly why I turn off the radio and just listen to music!!!

I pray I never have to use the radio to summon help however. I always have my cell, flashlight, first-aid, food/water rations, good shoes and appropriate weather clothing on.

Groper

Reaction score
Haha this is so true and why I use a freq. other than whats pre programmed in the Radios people are using. ;)
I've been using car-car radios for years and too me they are so important.
I can't believe what people are paying for a pre-programmed radio with a sticker on it from some shop. :confused:
I use a $125.00 60w Kenwood TM-281a along with software to do my programming, there are a few mods with a soldering iron that can make these perform even better.
You can also set these radios up to be use as a scanner which is some cases comes in handy when people are lost as you can hear their conversations.
As mentioned a hand held is only good for a mile or two even less in canyon situations to me they are just ok and we'll hand them out to individuals in our group that hasn't installed a Radio yet in their vehicle :mad:, we have been able to communicate car-car for well over several miles especially where there is zero cell service.

I don't think that's it.. I think it's the ground on the antenna or there is some calibration you can do with resistance.

RD
http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennagenericfreqlencalc.html here you go Dave now you can set up your antenna lol

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
For an advanced move, use all the information above and add a Dual Band 2M/70cm hard mount to the vehicle and learn about cross banding. Basically all the functionality above plus the ability step up the wattage to 65+ watts through the cross band repeater using the tall antenna on the ride.

For the people who don't like all the chatter, learn about Tone Code Squelch and use it to set up talk groups. Uncoded on them main/ emergency and coded on the talk groups to filter out the chatter.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Haha this is so true and why I use a freq. other than whats pre programmed in the Radios people are using. ;)
I've been using car-car radios for years and too me they are so important.
I can't believe what people are paying for a pre-programmed radio with a sticker on it from some shop. :confused:
I use a $125.00 60w Kenwood TM-281a along with software to do my programming, there are a few mods with a soldering iron that can make these perform even better.
You can also set these radios up to be use as a scanner which is some cases comes in handy when people are lost as you can hear their conversations.
As mentioned a hand held is only good for a mile or two even less in canyon situations to me they are just ok and we'll hand them out to individuals in our group that hasn't installed a Radio yet in their vehicle :mad:, we have been able to communicate car-car for well over several miles especially where there is zero cell service.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennagenericfreqlencalc.html here you go Dave now you can set up your antenna lol
I’ve got a hard wired plug in my car for my handheld just so it’s always in the car and charged when needed. I got myself buried one night between some walls outside Laughlin so used it to walk out and guide in a buddy to help me. As well have used when out and someone in the group doesn’t have com’s just hand them the packset as it’s 11w vs the norm of 3w-5w

racetrash

Reaction score
Ok, maybe not trolling, but since Rugged lost Gerardo out of Mira Loma or where ever, he was from PCI, and went to Rugged. He was the mobile guy in the the Rugged van. Rugged is sorta lacking on support, the new "guy" is from the Temecula area. Tried dealing with him for our spec tt team, flake for sure, had 8 radios to program...no show..Sorry if I pissed anyone off, been doing this a long time, and yes, I'm done. Time to play. Pete

racetrash

Reaction score
For an advanced move, use all the information above and add a Dual Band 2M/70cm hard mount to the vehicle and learn about cross banding. Basically all the functionality above plus the ability step up the wattage to 65+ watts through the cross band repeater using the tall antenna on the ride.

For the people who don't like all the chatter, learn about Tone Code Squelch and use it to set up talk groups. Uncoded on them main/ emergency and coded on the talk groups to filter out the chatter.
Licensed??

racetrash

Reaction score

RD
The type of antenna you have is important, ground plane/no ground plane, where it's mounted, and the coax run from radio to the antenna, also antenna type, 1/4 wave or 5/8 wave. Tuning is done by antenna cutting. Using zip tyes on the coax can affect the output, coax is round, keep it that way. Pete KE6PDS

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Ok guys, just wanted to circle back to the intercom and radio solution that I got from Sampson Racing Communications. I will say that this whole setup works great. Using the intercom while driving really makes it a fun experience, and I think it will be worth the investment over time.

This project ballooned into using an actual 2 way radio instead of the handheld 2 way radio I had planned for and outlined outlined above. SRC has a cost effective 25 Watt, small form factor race radio for a pretty reasonable cost so I went for it.

Rugged used to offer an identical radio (RM25) so there are some simple mounting solutions available if you use a Rugged intercom.

I however purchased the Avcomm intercom from
SRC, which is identical to a PCI intercom. So PCI mounts will work for mounting the Avcomm intercom, and you may need to use a little creativity like I did to mount both pieces for this particular combo. No one has a direct canned mount solution for this combination , and not in the location I chose to mount it.

I mounted the intercom and radio below my GPS. I made a couple brackets to keep the radio tight to the intercom. This kept both front cup holders useable.
AF2AD52E-F2F2-437C-ADF5-23B9B24E3CCC.jpeg
6E5CB9C7-CE7E-4261-A21C-31F301C7D316.jpeg

This also meant I needed to mount PTT (Push To Talk) buttons for the driver and passenger because I went with an offroad Nexus style headset plug. Had I stayed with the standard 5 pin style headset plug I could forgo the extra button and used a PTT on the headset. But I wanted a cleaner option for the headset wiring and easier use of the button. I decided not to mount the driver PTT button on the steering wheel to keep the install cleaner.
D4910CFF-54CC-4A2A-9FA5-CCA721CB4E54.jpeg

Passenger PTT on the grab handle
13B06052-B3A8-4C96-AA6B-4F900EBCF07B.jpeg

I flush mounted the Nexus offroad plugs for the headsets in the center console. I did this to clean up the cabling for when I’m not using the headsets on family rides. This required some different cables than what came in the basic kit on EBay, but SRC had what I needed.
EF697225-7CFF-4FC9-94C5-72B30FFE6155.jpeg

4BCA1E18-4C60-46BD-A24E-1A268E8FC431.jpeg

Here are the headsets plugged in and ready for use on their hanger.
035998F7-7A72-42B6-ADF2-E78FD78F2BF4.jpeg

This intercom is capable of running 4 headsets as equipped and can expand up to 12 headsets. I just have it set up for the 2 front seats at the moment. I just plan on using the intercom and radio for 2 person rides for now. I have the cables and 2 more headsets to make it a full 4 person setup if I desire.

Last edited:

yz450mm

Reaction score
Ok guys, just wanted to circle back to the intercom and radio solution that I got from Sampson Racing Communications. I will say that this whole setup works great. Using the intercom while driving really makes it a fun experience, and I think it will be worth the investment over time.

This project ballooned into using an actual 2 way radio instead of the handheld 2 way radio I had planned for and outlined outlined above. SRC has a cost effective 25 Watt, small form factor race radio for a pretty reasonable cost so I went for it.

Rugged used to offer an identical radio (RM25) so there are some simple mounting solutions available if you use a Rugged intercom.

I however purchased the Avcomm intercom from
SRC, which is identical to a PCI intercom. So PCI mounts will work for mounting the Avcomm intercom, and you may need to use a little creativity like I did to mount both pieces for this particular combo since no one has a direct canned solution for this combo, and not in the location I chose to mount it.

I mounted the intercom and radio below my GPS. I made a couple brackets to keep the radio tight to the intercom. This kept both front cup holders useable.
View attachment 720311 View attachment 720314

This also meant I needed to mount PTT (Push To Talk) buttons for the driver and passenger because I want with an offroad Nexus style headset plug. Had I stayed with the standard 5 pin style headset plug I could forgo the extra button and used a PTT on the headset. But I wanted a cleaner option for the headset wiring and easier use of the button. I decided not to mount the driver PTT button on the steering wheel to keep the install cleaner.
View attachment 720315
Passenger PTT on the grab handle
View attachment 720316
I flush mounted the Nexus offroad plugs for the headsets in the center console. I did this to clean up the cabling for when I’m not using the headsets on family rides. This required some different cables than what came in the basic kit on EBay, but SRC had what I needed.
View attachment 720313
View attachment 720317

Here are the headsets plugged in and ready for use on their hanger.
View attachment 720318

This intercom is capable of running 4 headsets as equipped and can expand up to 12 headsets. I just have it set up for the 2 front seats at the moment. I just plan on using the intercom and radio for 2 person rides for now. I have the cables and 2 more headsets to make it a full 4 person setup if I desire.
Smart Choice... having intercoms and car to car Communications makes every ride much more enjoyable for everybody. A lot of people don't like being passengers in side by sides, but being able to talk freely with the driver makes it much more comfortable for them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Meaney77

Reaction score
@LargeOrangeFont

Bumping this thread... We were just out over this last week for New Years- we had a large group and with any large group there are always challenges getting everyone to the same destination without stopping a bunch. A few of the guys in our group had the Rugged hand helds and a few people didnt (myself included). I am not ready to spend a bunch of dough right now on a full car to car radio set up so I just ordered the BaoFeng.

Can the BaoFeng be used out of the box with the Rugged hand helds without doing the programming? I am not very familiar with these radios and wanted a cheap device for occasional use.

Thanks

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
@LargeOrangeFont

Bumping this thread... We were just out over this last week for New Years- we had a large group and with any large group there are always challenges getting everyone to the same destination without stopping a bunch. A few of the guys in our group had the Rugged hand helds and a few people didnt (myself included). I am not ready to spend a bunch of dough right now on a full car to car radio set up so I just ordered the BaoFeng.

Can the BaoFeng be used out of the box with the Rugged hand helds without doing the programming? I am not very familiar with these radios and wanted a cheap device for occasional use.

Thanks

You can use the Baofeng out of the box, but you will at a minimum need to know which "race frequencies" the group is going to use and punch it in manually. You need to know the actual numbers, not just something like "bfg pits" or whatever the race radio has programmed. There could be a couple other setting you need to set in the painful baofeng menu system also like RF Squelch or Transmit power, but hopefully the defaults work for you. You need to be able to read the manual and do some basic set up at some point on the Baofeng.

gqchris

Reaction score
@LargeOrangeFont

Thanks

Are you near Huntington Beach @Ballsdeep ? I can program for you no problem.

You can even mail it to me and Ill ship back.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Are you near Huntington Beach @Ballsdeep ? I can program for you no problem.

You can even mail it to me and Ill ship back.

I am out in Ventura County but might gladly take you up on this!! Let me do a little research once I get the radio and I will get back to you.

Thank you for the offer!

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I have a couple Baofengs that we use at base camp and to lend to those in our group that don't have radios. I used them prior to installing a rugged set up in my pre-runner. they work great for what they are.

Here is the channel list I have programmed.

Location Name Frequency
0 151.625
1 weatherman 151.625
2 BFG RELAY 151.715
3 BAJA PITS 154.98
4 MCDONNELL RACING 152.345
5 CHECKERS 151.925
6 FAIR 150.86
7 MCDONNELL RACING 152.345
8 MCDONNELL#2 158.445
9 CHECKERS VEGAS 151.505
10 BFG PITS 153.395
11 MAG7 153.38
12 NATIONAL RESCUE 155.16
13 CORE 153.245
14 LOCOS MOCOS 151.775
15 BITD 151.49
16 PCI RELAY 154.515
17 LOCOS MOCOS 151.775
18 BECKER 153.62
19 BECKER2 153.185
20 DICKER 153.245
21 DICKER2 151.58
22 EJR1 151.535
23 EJR2 151.13
24 GHANSEN 152.225
25 HERZOG 151.76
26 HOGMAN 151.67
27 HUNT1 151.175
28 HUNT2 153.425
29 KOCH 153.68
30 LICITRA 153.35
31 LICITRA2 153.095
32 MONGO1 152.975
33 MONGO2 157.5
34 MCGILVRY 157.545
35 RJR1 151.58
36 RJR2 153.23
37 SMD1 150.95
38 SMD2 151.13
39 SMD3 151.855
40 SMPUP 157.56

For those of you that are reading the PCI vs Rugged posts.....it's like reading a Chevy vs Ford argument. We have a big mix of them in our group and each has their positives and negatives...there is NO clear winner. and generally any pro/con will be based on what the person has in their car ;)

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have a couple Baofengs that we use at base camp and to lend to those in our group that don't have radios. I used them prior to installing a rugged set up in my pre-runner. they work great for what they are.

Here is the channel list I have programmed.

Location Name Frequency
0 151.625
1 weatherman 151.625
2 BFG RELAY 151.715
3 BAJA PITS 154.98
4 MCDONNELL RACING 152.345
5 CHECKERS 151.925
6 FAIR 150.86
7 MCDONNELL RACING 152.345
8 MCDONNELL#2 158.445
9 CHECKERS VEGAS 151.505
10 BFG PITS 153.395
11 MAG7 153.38
12 NATIONAL RESCUE 155.16
13 CORE 153.245
14 LOCOS MOCOS 151.775
15 BITD 151.49
16 PCI RELAY 154.515
17 LOCOS MOCOS 151.775
18 BECKER 153.62
19 BECKER2 153.185
20 DICKER 153.245
21 DICKER2 151.58
22 EJR1 151.535
23 EJR2 151.13
24 GHANSEN 152.225
25 HERZOG 151.76
26 HOGMAN 151.67
27 HUNT1 151.175
28 HUNT2 153.425
29 KOCH 153.68
30 LICITRA 153.35
31 LICITRA2 153.095
32 MONGO1 152.975
33 MONGO2 157.5
34 MCGILVRY 157.545
35 RJR1 151.58
36 RJR2 153.23
37 SMD1 150.95
38 SMD2 151.13
39 SMD3 151.855
40 SMPUP 157.56

For those of you that are reading the PCI vs Rugged posts.....it's like reading a Chevy vs Ford argument. We have a big mix of them in our group and each has their positives and negatives...there is NO clear winner. and generally any pro/con will be based on what the person has in their car ;)

Good info! So forgive my ignorance- What you have listed above are all of the pre programmed channels that you can store in the device along with a few race team channels. If my buddies all have these radios, we can select any channel not in use and communicate to each other on the same channel? For example if my radio is set to 157.55 as long was we are all on that same channel and its not being used we are okay to communicate to each other? And If I wanted to programmer that into my device along with my group name I could? And it could be done manually or by using the CHIRP software?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Good info! So forgive my ignorance- What you have listed above are all of the pre programmed channels that you can store in the device along with a few race team channels. If my buddies all have these radios, we can select any channel not in use and communicate to each other on the same channel? For example if my radio is set to 157.55 as long was we are all on that same channel and its not being used we are okay to communicate to each other? And If I wanted to programmer that into my device along with my group name I could? And it could be done manually or by using the CHIRP software?

Yes. in my radios they are identified by Spot # then name and then frequency.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
@LargeOrangeFont

Thanks

Mosquito Creek is exactly right.

You just need to know the frequency associated to the name, and you are good to go. You can put it in the Baofeng’s memory manually as well.

I would get the programming cable when you can, it is $12-$14 bucks, and the programming software is free.

At that point I (or anyone) can even email you a radio setup and you can just upload it into your radio(s).

The programming cable makes life really easy as you acquire more than 1.

I have an in car radio now, but still carry a handheld radio as it can be used for spotting, emergencies etc.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Oh and if you are doing car to car comms on the “semi cheap” (not using a Baofeng) I found a 25 watt in car radio setup with antenna and everything you need to put it in your car for $229, and it will plug right into any intercom.

This is the same 25 watt radio I run in my RZR, just from a different reseller.

The radio only is $160.

http://www.dustymotorsports.com/25w-radio-kit-includes-radio-antenna-and-nmo-cable/

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
Mosquito Creek is exactly right.

You just need to know the frequency associated to the name, and you are good to go. You can put it in the Baofeng’s memory manually as well.

I would get the programming cable when you can, it is $12-$14 bucks, and the programming software is free.

At that point I (or anyone) can even email you a radio setup and you can just upload it into your radio(s).

The programming cable makes life really easy as you acquire more than 1.
I got the cable along with the longer antenna, I might hit you up on the pre program stuff you have. I will IM you my email address if that’s cool. Between you @Riverbound i should have a pretty good selection.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I got the cable along with the longer antenna, I might hit you up on the pre program stuff you have. I will IM you my email address if that’s cool. Between you @Riverbound i should have a pretty good selection.

Yep, feel free! Good call on the longer antenna.

Depending on how “permanent” you want your Baofeng in the car, they do make plug in hand mics, and hardwired power for them, and all kinds of stuff.