WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Off Roading with Car to Car Comms - A Quick Guide

gqchris

Reaction score
Yep, feel free! Good call on the longer antenna.

Depending on how “permanent” you want your Baofeng in the car, they do make plug in hand mics, and hardwired power for them, and all kinds of stuff.

I have a Baofeng "parts box" now that I keep in the RV. LOL...and LOF is right, they are so cheap its great to have spares. Give to someone who doesnt have a radio in the group. If you lose it or forget it, youre not devistated. LOL

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I have a Baofeng "parts box" now that I keep in the RV. LOL...and LOF is right, they are so cheap its great to have spares. Give to someone who doesnt have a radio in the group. If you lose it or forget it, youre not devistated. LOL

Yea same here. The parts box has all kinds of accessories in it lol. I have 7 or 8 of the stupid things now between Havasu and home, but they really come in handy! They work great for road trips with multiple groups/cars.

I’m more worried about people loosing or breaking the aftermarket antennas than the handheld itself when I loan them out LOL.

gqchris

Reaction score
Yea same here. The parts box has all kinds of accessories in it lol. I have 7 or 8 of the stupid things now between Havasu and home, but they really come in handy! They work great for road trips with multiple groups/cars.

I’m more worried about people loosing or breaking the aftermarket antennas than the handheld itself when I loan them out LOL.

YUp, and we myswell stock up while we can, because word on the street is that they may be going BYE BYE soon.

https://survivalblog.com/baofeng-sales-ban-countdown-continues/

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

gqchris

Reaction score
Yea I’m not sure what happened, as they are still available. They were not available on Amazon the first week of October last year and then they all popped back up for sale.

Yup! Im glad they still going strong!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Oh and if you are doing car to car comms on the “semi cheap” (not using a Baofeng) I found a 25 watt in car radio setup with antenna and everything you need to put it in your car for $229, and it will plug right into any intercom.

This is the same 25 watt radio I run in my RZR, just from a different reseller.

The radio only is $160.

http://www.dustymotorsports.com/25w-radio-kit-includes-radio-antenna-and-nmo-cable/

Sorry, but I had to do it.... Looks like a TalkPod or QYT KT8900 or Juentai JT-6188 available for about 70 bucks... minus the antenna and the "free programming".. but a good deal all packaged up non the less...

https://www.amazon.com/KT8900-136-1...92&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-841434436981

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Sorry, but I had to do it.... Looks like a TalkPod or QYT KT8900 or Juentai JT-6188 available for about 70 bucks... minus the antenna and the "free programming".. but a good deal all packaged up non the less...

https://www.amazon.com/KT8900-136-1...92&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-841434436981

You are right it is a KT8900.

The $70 radio does not have the integrated dongle for an intercom. If you just want a radio, you are right, buy the standard $70 unit instead. If you by that and want to use it with an intercom, it won’t work.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
You are right it is a KT8900.

The $70 radio does not have the integrated dongle for an intercom. If you just want a radio, you are right, buy the standard $70 unit instead. If you by that and want to use it with an intercom, it won’t work.

Do you know if the dongle is the value add put in by Duffy or just a different model?

Also, when plugged into the intercom is it RX only through the intercom headsets or TX also?

Looks like they highjacked the rear aux speaker out for the intercom cable. Pretty cool mod. Between that and the antenna thats included not much value left in doing it yourself. The only warning I can find is that the RX transistor is rated at 12.5v max and a transistor designed for handheld, so you are on the edge and might in counter some longevity issues. But given the low hours used in recreation off-roading the price point is great.

Although Kenwood TM 281a is getting so cheap at 119 bucks, the canadians are starting to push on the chinese radios. Mod the TM and add the intercom cable and you have a ton more radio.

Nice idea on the duffy, I might just be that impulsive of a buyer if I wanted to plug into an intercom.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Do you know if the dongle is the value add put in by Duffy or just a different model?

Also, when plugged into the intercom is it RX only through the intercom headsets or TX also?

Looks like they highjacked the rear aux speaker out for the intercom cable. Pretty cool mod. Between that and the antenna thats included not much value left in doing it yourself. The only warning I can find is that the RX transistor is rated at 12.5v max and a transistor designed for handheld, so you are on the edge and might in counter some longevity issues. But given the low hours used in recreation off-roading the price point is great.

Although Kenwood TM 281a is getting so cheap at 119 bucks, the canadians are starting to push on the chinese radios. Mod the TM and add the intercom cable and you have a ton more radio.

Nice idea on the duffy, I might just be that impulsive of a buyer if I wanted to plug into an intercom.

Crap I must have missed this.

The dongle mod appears to be something someone is doing. I can’t find it as a separate model.

When plugged into the intercom you hear the RX through the headsets AND the factory speaker in the radio. I didn’t like this at first but now I like it. If stopped without headsets on we can hear chatter on the radio. If I use the hand mic I don’t need to fumble with the headset and PTT button to respond, just talk into the hand mic and continue sipping my beverage.

I have about about 80 hours of use on mine now.. so far so good.

Patyacht

Reaction score
Speaking of which I have a little problem with my Car to Car, and could really use someone that knows how to dial in the antenna. I think I might have a bad ground or something? My range is for absolute shit. And I know it's not a line of site problem.

RD
Do you have access to the back of your radio? I have the equipment and do it for my riding group. If you do have access just take a multi-meter and do a continuity test. That will tell if you are grounding out or not.

Patyacht

Reaction score
I have a couple Baofengs that we use at base camp and to lend to those in our group that don't have radios. I used them prior to installing a rugged set up in my pre-runner. they work great for what they are.

Here is the channel list I have programmed.

Location Name Frequency
0 151.625
1 weatherman 151.625
2 BFG RELAY 151.715
3 BAJA PITS 154.98
4 MCDONNELL RACING 152.345
5 CHECKERS 151.925
6 FAIR 150.86
7 MCDONNELL RACING 152.345
8 MCDONNELL#2 158.445
9 CHECKERS VEGAS 151.505
10 BFG PITS 153.395
11 MAG7 153.38
12 NATIONAL RESCUE 155.16
13 CORE 153.245
14 LOCOS MOCOS 151.775
15 BITD 151.49
16 PCI RELAY 154.515
17 LOCOS MOCOS 151.775
18 BECKER 153.62
19 BECKER2 153.185
20 DICKER 153.245
21 DICKER2 151.58
22 EJR1 151.535
23 EJR2 151.13
24 GHANSEN 152.225
25 HERZOG 151.76
26 HOGMAN 151.67
27 HUNT1 151.175
28 HUNT2 153.425
29 KOCH 153.68
30 LICITRA 153.35
31 LICITRA2 153.095
32 MONGO1 152.975
33 MONGO2 157.5
34 MCGILVRY 157.545
35 RJR1 151.58
36 RJR2 153.23
37 SMD1 150.95
38 SMD2 151.13
39 SMD3 151.855
40 SMPUP 157.56

For those of you that are reading the PCI vs Rugged posts.....it's like reading a Chevy vs Ford argument. We have a big mix of them in our group and each has their positives and negatives...there is NO clear winner. and generally any pro/con will be based on what the person has in their car ;)
Not totally true. Rugged uses China based/made equipment whereas PCI uses better equipment like Kenwood and Icom radios and their intercoms are made in shop (LA Area) in the USA.

HotRod82

Reaction score
Looks like a troll for Rugged...Call PCI and get it all done right. I have worked with Weatherman and his son Scott for more than 30 years...RACETRASHWIRING, PeteDutton...the only comms i will use, support is the best...multiple champonships with my wiring and there comms...there is no better

The only thing worse than no comms is cheap shitty comms that don't work.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Not totally true. Rugged uses China based/made equipment whereas PCI uses better equipment like Kenwood and Icom radios and their intercoms are made in shop (LA Area) in the USA.
I’ve owned rugged before rugged was a thing. No failures whatsoever. I’ve logged 1000’s of miles as well from full dust to full water. Both PCI and rugged are excellent choices

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I have a couple Baofengs that we use at base camp and to lend to those in our group that don't have radios. I used them prior to installing a rugged set up in my pre-runner. they work great for what they are.

Here is the channel list I have programmed.

Location Name Frequency
0 151.625
1 weatherman 151.625
2 BFG RELAY 151.715
3 BAJA PITS 154.98
4 MCDONNELL RACING 152.345
5 CHECKERS 151.925
6 FAIR 150.86
7 MCDONNELL RACING 152.345
8 MCDONNELL#2 158.445
9 CHECKERS VEGAS 151.505
10 BFG PITS 153.395
11 MAG7 153.38
12 NATIONAL RESCUE 155.16
13 CORE 153.245
14 LOCOS MOCOS 151.775
15 BITD 151.49
16 PCI RELAY 154.515
17 LOCOS MOCOS 151.775
18 BECKER 153.62
19 BECKER2 153.185
20 DICKER 153.245
21 DICKER2 151.58
22 EJR1 151.535
23 EJR2 151.13
24 GHANSEN 152.225
25 HERZOG 151.76
26 HOGMAN 151.67
27 HUNT1 151.175
28 HUNT2 153.425
29 KOCH 153.68
30 LICITRA 153.35
31 LICITRA2 153.095
32 MONGO1 152.975
33 MONGO2 157.5
34 MCGILVRY 157.545
35 RJR1 151.58
36 RJR2 153.23
37 SMD1 150.95
38 SMD2 151.13
39 SMD3 151.855
40 SMPUP 157.56

For those of you that are reading the PCI vs Rugged posts.....it's like reading a Chevy vs Ford argument. We have a big mix of them in our group and each has their positives and negatives...there is NO clear winner. and generally any pro/con will be based on what the person has in their car ;)
Do you have the rest of the list?
I think I'm looking for a frequency called Turd.
Lol
It is the Star Racing team. Starkey Racing.

DaveH

Reaction score
Speaking of which I have a little problem with my Car to Car, and could really use someone that knows how to dial in the antenna. I think I might have a bad ground or something? My range is for absolute shit. And I know it's not a line of site problem.

RD
Dave this "ground" you speak of isn't really a connection to ground and is one of the most commonly misunderstood aspects of antenna installation.

what we are really talking about here is an antenna ground plane. this can be accomplished several ways but again has nothing to do with the antenna being grounded.

an antenna ground plane acts as a reflector. think kinda like a sat dish where the antenna is in the middle on an arm and the dish is reflecting the signal toward the antenna, or the "whiskers" you see at the base of some antennas commonly used on stationary systems like in chase trucks.

your antenna needs a ground plane to operate at peak efficiency.. this is nothing more than a metallic (non ferrous metals like aluminum or copper are fine) disc the antenna based is mounted to and does have electrical connectivity between the shield of the coax and the ground plane.

often times, like in an offroad car that has aluminum panels, these will work well for a ground plane. but if your antenna is mounted to a plastic roof or on a tab off the frame, this wont get it done, and range/performance will suffer.

ground plane size is dictated by the frequencies in use. it can be bigger dimensionally than what the minimum requirement is, just not smaller.

the other biggest problem I see is people are way to rough with the installation of the coax. coax doesn't work like a traditional single conductor wire......think of it more as a conduit or pipe. the diameter of this "pipe" is critical.....so sharp bends, crushing/flattening of the coax by bundling it with other wires and zip tieing it to death......all contribute to the degradation of the coax. this in turn causes the coax to reflect back much of the energy it is trying to push out to the antenna.....and in severe cases this RF energy that is bounced back to the transmitter can damage it.

it is for this reason the radio manufacturers warn you to NOT bundle the coax nor cut it shorter. shortening can be done but it requires specialized tools to crimp/solder a new connector on and very few can do this correctly.

there are some "zero ground plane" antennas (just mount them anywhere without a ground plane)but in my experience they don't work as well (range) as a properly installed traditional antenna.

it takes specialty meters to measure antenna VSWSR (the amount of energy that makes it out vs being reflected back) or actual wattage output. anybody messing with your system should have these tools.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave this "ground" you speak of isn't really a connection to ground and is one of the most commonly misunderstood aspects of antenna installation.

what we are really talking about here is an antenna ground plane. this can be accomplished several ways but again has nothing to do with the antenna being grounded.

an antenna ground plane acts as a reflector. think kinda like a sat dish where the antenna is in the middle on an arm and the dish is reflecting the signal toward the antenna, or the "whiskers" you see at the base of some antennas commonly used on stationary systems like in chase trucks.

your antenna needs a ground plane to operate at peak efficiency.. this is nothing more than a metallic (non ferrous metals like aluminum or copper are fine) disc the antenna based is mounted to and does have electrical connectivity between the shield of the coax and the ground plane.

often times, like in an offroad car that has aluminum panels, these will work well for a ground plane. but if your antenna is mounted to a plastic roof or on a tab off the frame, this wont get it done, and range/performance will suffer.

ground plane size is dictated by the frequencies in use. it can be bigger dimensionally than what the minimum requirement is, just not smaller.

the other biggest problem I see is people are way to rough with the installation of the coax. coax doesn't work like a traditional single conductor wire......think of it more as a conduit or pipe. the diameter of this "pipe" is critical.....so sharp bends, crushing/flattening of the coax by bundling it with other wires and zip tieing it to death......all contribute to the degradation of the coax. this in turn causes the coax to reflect back much of the energy it is trying to push out to the antenna.....and in severe cases this RF energy that is bounced back to the transmitter can damage it.

it is for this reason the radio manufacturers warn you to NOT bundle the coax nor cut it shorter. shortening can be done but it requires specialized tools to crimp/solder a new connector on and very few can do this correctly.

there are some "zero ground plane" antennas (just mount them anywhere without a ground plane)but in my experience they don't work as well (range) as a properly installed traditional antenna.

it takes specialty meters to measure antenna VSWSR (the amount of energy that makes it out vs being reflected back) or actual wattage output. anybody messing with your system should have these tools.

This was on a car three SXS’s ago and it was a simple problem.. the wire that connected the antenna looked to be connected but wasn’t

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Another thing to add that ive found first hand is if your radio has adjustable power output it may be beneficial to program 2 sets of of the same channels, one with full power output and one with a lower power output.

I have a Rugged M1 and had it initially programmed at full power. On a ride to bar 10 with several other cars that i was leading some of them were complaining that my transmissions were over modulated, but if i talked quietly they could hear them, other cars heard me loud and clear no matter how i queued into the mic.

I programmed a second zone into my radio for full power and mainly run on low power now, and everyone picks up the broadcast loud and clear.

I figure save the high power transmission for cases of long distance if lower powers aren't reaching.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I ride with a few cars, none have any type of comms....so to me I don't need to spend money on them....that being said, I wouldn't mind forking out a few bucks for a couple of handhelds that I can hand out pre-ride for "just in case" purposes...also, I don't need in car comms, no need to hear my wife telling me to slow down or my son asking me if I saw that nice car blow past us...

Would I be able to buy a couple of these cheap handhelds and use them out of the box?

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I ride with a few cars, none have any type of comms....so to me I don't need to spend money on them....that being said, I wouldn't mind forking out a few bucks for a couple of handhelds that I can hand out pre-ride for "just in case" purposes...also, I don't need in car comms, no need to hear my wife telling me to slow down or my son asking me if I saw that nice car blow past us...

Would I be able to buy a couple of these cheap handhelds and use them out of the box?

Yes, you can use the out of the box. Just punch in the frequency on the keypad. Just save something like this so you know which one is which. You can search for off road frequency lists to get more expansive lists.

BD72CE0C-AE3D-4695-A7F3-9EA066520A35.jpeg

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Yes, you can use the out of the box. Just punch in the frequency on the keypad. Just save something like this so you know which one is which. You can search for off road frequency lists to get more expansive lists.

View attachment 1181728

Would I have to use one of those frequencies? Or can I punch in just a random one...say 151.487?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

Why doesn’t your group have comms. It’s sooo much more enjoyable to ride with music and talk to your passengers normally

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Why doesn’t your group have comms. It’s sooo much more enjoyable to ride with music and talk to your passengers normally

I don't know? I am willing to spend the money, but doesn't seem like anyone else in the group wants to...so no need for me to have it to talk to myself...LOL...

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Would I have to use one of those frequencies? Or can I punch in just a random one...say 151.487?

You can punch in anything. All of them are frequencies someone owns and may be actively using, so just be aware of that.

These little handhelds have a range of maybe 2 miles absolutely best case.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I don't know? I am willing to spend the money, but doesn't seem like anyone else in the group wants to...so no need for me to have it to talk to myself...LOL...

This is a great deal for an intercom. Not Bluetooth music, but that is $250 in headsets and cables as that stuff is on sale now, and a $100 for the intercom that you could hook to the handheld radio.