WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Off The Grid Expeditions

Mikes56

Reaction score
Well my wife and I leave tomorrow our first trip with Off The Grid Expeditions. It's a full Baja peninsula run, 1520 miles over 7 days. It starts at the Tecate border and ends in Cabo 7 days later.
I bought a 2019 Can Am X3 Max a few months ago, with this trip in mind.

If I can figure out how to post pictures, I'll post them when we get back.

This is either going to end in divorce, or she will definitely be a keeper lol.

gqchris

Reaction score
Well my wife and I leave tomorrow our first trip with Off The Grid Expeditions. It's a full Baja peninsula run, 1520 miles over 7 days. It starts at the Tecate border and ends in Cabo 7 days later.
I bought a 2019 Can Am X3 Max a few months ago, with this trip in mind.

If I can figure out how to post pictures, I'll post them when we get back.

This is either going to end in divorce, or she will definitely be a keeper lol.

Subscribed!! Please keep us posted and enjoy this ! Its a trip of a lifetime!! I want to do the 3 day one to get my feet wet.

Epic!

DLC

Reaction score
Your going to love it, if you like to off road!

You don’t mess around brown! Just dive in the deep end! That’s a long trip, Have fun

Vaya Con Dios

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Gonna be a sick trip, have fun. Yes, we want to see and hear more about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meaney77

Reaction score
Looking forward to a full write up and pix!

Mikes56

Reaction score
Good morning,
We're back from the trip and trying to get everything back to normal at home.

The first thing I need to say is that Off The Grid Expeditions puts together an amazing trip. My wife and I were a little nervous doing such a big trip, but we had an amazing time with a bunch of amazing people. There wasn't one time that we felt unsafe. The other people on the trip, and the people of Baja were incredible.

The trip started in San Diego where we met the group at the Marriot Hotel and spent the night. 4am the next morning we were headed to the Tecate border with the trucks and trailers. We unloaded and drove the Can Ams across the border which was fun as hell. For the next 7 days and 1650 miles we saw some of the most beautiful areas of Baja. We were above 50 mph for most of the trip, and our top speed was 84 mph on a dirt road. We drove along the beach, parked and swam in the ocean, drove through the mountains, etc.

There was some carnage during the trip. One guy drove too hard into a corner and ended up in the rocks and tore the right front corner off his RZR. Another RZR blew up a clutch, and a Wildcat blew up his waterpump impeller. Those cars got limped to the chase truck and were trailered to Cabo. I drove too hard into a corner and ended up completely into a cactus, and got a flat tire. I also got a pinch flat driving too fast in the silt beds and must have hit a rock.

The trip ended with us staying at The Cabo Azul in Cabo for 3 days while Off The Grid trailered all the cars back to Tecate. We then flew to Tijuana, took a taxi to Tecate, met up with Off The Grid and drove our cars back across the border. It was fun as hell for me to drive up to the CBP Officer and hand her our passports and registration, then drive back to where our truck and trailer was parked.

If anyone is thinking about doing a trip like this, don't hesitate. We're already talking about next year and can't wait.

grumpy88

Reaction score
We're you able to purchase any type of special insurance on your sxs in case shit went wrong ? 30 k plus is a lot to risk .

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Epic. Can't wait to see photos.

I don't want to sound like a wuss but I do; was there concern for safety regarding cartel and other known issues?

Mikes56

Reaction score
We purchased Mexican insurance from Baja Bound. Everything was taken care of over the phone and a credit card. I think it was around $300 for $35,000 worth of coverage on the 2019 CaAm X3. That only covered the CanAm if an accident occurred on a "roadway." Apparently most of the dirt roads in Baja are considered roadways. It covered fire, theft, and $150,000 in the event of a death.

Mikes56

Reaction score
We didn't have any contact with anyone that made us nervous at all. Everyone was very kind and glad to see us. We were very polite to everyone and didn't act like dickheads. I think that's a big part of going to Mexico, just be polite and don't do anything stupid. Everyone spent a lot of money there buying alcohol, gas, and t-shirts, so the locals enjoyed having us around.

If someone can tell me how to post pics, I've got a bunch and some vids on my IPhone.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Almost forgot. We got stopped at two Federale checkpoints and the local police were in every town that we went through and stayed at. We all smiled and waved to them and they all smiled and waved back. Most of the local police waved us through the stop signs in town and waved back

We handed out a ton of stickers and off-road pins to the local kids. The local people were so poor, but it didn't matter, they were happy. It made me kinda re-think my life.

gqchris

Reaction score
We handed out a ton of stickers and off-road pins to the local kids. The local people were so poor, but it didn't matter, they were happy. It made me kinda re-think my life.

I think everyone should get an opportunity to see how the other 90% of the world lives by visiting a poor country. It really humbles a person and puts into perspective what is important in life.

When I go to Mexico, I get a stack of $2 bills to tip. This is considered good luck to them. I come back years later, and am thanked by the Maseros or staff and they show me they still have it in their wallet/purse for good luck. How much luckier can we get to have the lifes we have? Humbling