WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Officer involved shooting in Camarillo

Icky

Reaction score
Crazy, sucks for the officer having to live with that.

Backlash

Reaction score
Yes it's unfortunate that a life was lost and law enforcement was utilized to help this suspect accomplish a cowardly act. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Deputy, his family and the suspect's family as well. Tough situation for all involved.

It looks as though the Deputy used a considerable amount of patience and restraint. He gave that suspect ample opportunity to surrender or drop the knife. Job well done in that aspect.

Watching this video reminds you how much ground can be covered by someone welding a knife. Scary.

Thanks for sharing the link.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Read some of the comments!!!! So many sympathizers give me a fucking break!!! This guy got exactly what he was looking for. I feel so bad for cops these days. Read the comments the general public is so out of touch and out of there fucking minds. I'm not a cop but if somebody comes at me with a knife I am in fear for my life and your dead it's human nature...

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
A few blocks from the house...a little too close to home! That deputy showed tremendous restraint. The suspect took the cowardly way out and forever changed the lives of many people, most notably the deputy who will have to live with this for the rest of his life...

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Read some of the comments!!!! So many sympathizers give me a fucking break!!! This guy got exactly what he was looking for. I feel so bad for cops these days. Read the comments the general public is so out of touch and out of there fucking minds. I'm not a cop but if somebody comes at me with a knife I am in fear for my life and your dead it's human nature...

At some point people have forgotten that none of this shit happens without the dead perp creating it.

Really tired of accountability and integrity being long gone.

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
suicide by cop

Listen this cop tried to back off multiple times. It was only at that time when the guy lunged at him did the officer shoot.

Unfortunately people can't see it and automatically think the cop was in the wrong. He is going to have a hard time with this for a long while because he did try and defuse the situation.

I hope the dept. Really steps up and makes sure this cop gets good mental treatment, I'd hate to see a good cop lose his shit over this. Feel terrible for that cop

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Cop was 100% in the right. I think he waited too long tbh. We was practically running backwards with the perp 2' from him at the point of finally shooting the guy....but thats what the media and public demand now days.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Seems like a perfect place to use a taser.... Cop was justified...
Ray

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
Seems like a perfect place to use a taser.... Cop was justified...
Ray

I think he was going to taser him, but the guy charged him with that Knife and at that point who knows if the taser would've worked.

I think the cop did the right thing from beginning to end

Taboma

Reaction score
Any idea what caliber service weapon the officer was using ?

I'm considering forwarding this video link to my daughter in Virginia. She's starting a gun training and safety class at a local range soon, I think she needs to see that unlike on TV shows, how fast things can go sideways and how the perp is not being blown off his feet, but continues to charge even having been hit more than once (I'm assuming).

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
The Taser would have been good if there were a second deputy on site. You should NEVER rely on a less lethal (yes, even a Taser) when the real possibility of the use of deadly force by the suspect exists!

Cudos to this deputy for apparently trying all he could NOT to kill this person. I wonder how far away backup was?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Here is a perfect example of what can happen when the suspect is brandishing a weapon, but given the benefit of the doubt.....
Much of the public and media think cops act too early when shooting. Well....when they dont, this happens.
*warning - disturbing video. Actually bothers me to see it pretty bad, but its a good example and needs to be seen*

[video=youtube;dQe2tWhKUSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQe2tWhKUSQ[/video]

Dettom

Reaction score
Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. Only thing different I would've done is not give up ground. Once you retreat, you've emboldened the suspect. He's coming after you for sure. And you've upped your chances of a mistep landing you on the ground and putting you at a major disadvantage. Cops are retreating more and more because of media circuses. It's going to get some people killed though and I see sound tactics yielding to PC. He was lucky..this time. But what do I know?

TLAW719

Reaction score
The cop was right 100%. Completely justified.

This showed up on my Facebook page this morning and in reading some of the comments, it is scary how clueless, ignorant, and liberalized people are.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I'm all for the cop shooting the guy. But wouldn't a taser work from those distances?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Good job officer.......appreciate you taking action to rid our society of this deranged individual.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I'm all for the cop shooting the guy. But wouldn't a taser work from those distances?

Tasers aren't always effective. Specially if the person was on something.

This was discussed in a thread I posted last week and the general consensus is that a knife wielding individual could do serious damage if not put down immediately. As seen in this video, the guy was still able to lunge at the officer even after being shot!! All it takes is that knife to be put in the right spot and the officer could bleed out before anyone can help him. This officer showed tremendous restraint and gave the guy many opportunities before feeling that he had no other choice but to put him down.

Icky

Reaction score
I think ifnit were me and someone was running at me with a knife who's obviously got some issues and I'm by myself my first thought would be my own safety and those around me.

Say he tried the taser non effective, misses etc, the guy stabs him and take his gun . Then what, best case scenario he shoots himself.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I have a personal rule that says I stay the hell out of these conversations but I will share this as food for thought.

Years ago I saw a training film called, "Surviving Edged Weapon Attacks".
This was on VHS, and after seeing it since I was in charge of the training program we bought one for the FTO team.
In part of the film a man playing the role of an attacker, armed with a rubber knife, was positioned varying distances from a uniformed cop with a dummy pistol in his duty holster.
I cannot remember the exact distance, but I believe that the man with the knife could, without anyone saying "go" or anything, run and stab the cop from a distance of 20 ft. before the cop could draw and fire.
Even with a "go" signal so the cop knew when he was coming it was very close...too damn close.
At 20 ft. away most folks would think they were a little safe.
That training tape is the only one I remember by name.
I've never forgotten that scene.
The video made a strong impression on every cop we showed it to. We even recreated it, because we had guys calling B.S., and it was accurate. The old saying about bringing a knife to a gun fight has basis in truth, but under bad circumstances it can go to hell in a handbasket very quickly.

These little moments of video rarely tell the whole story, but I think this cop may have shown a bit too much restraint. I think many cops on the street these days are being so conditioned by the current crap going on in this country that we very well may lose some of them because they wait too long to take action, fearing the repercussions...

I hope and pray I am wrong, but all the signs are there.

Last comment...
Using non-lethal tools (taser) against lethal weapons (knife) can be a recipe for disaster. You will win a few but you are going to lose at some point. Losing in this case means perhaps dying. If there is another cop standing by with a firearm trained on the suspect and ya think you want to give it a try, okay, but a solo cop might not have time to draw and fire if he is busy pulling, reloading, or re-securing a taser after a ineffective deployment.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
100% a deadly force situation. No training anywhere will call for the use of a Taser in that situation. You would need at least two more cops and a bunch of other stars to align in order to possibly deploy a Taser in that situation. The Taser, even when everything goes right, is nowhere near 100% effective.
This deputy did show serious restraint, likely for too long. Near the end of that video you can see where the bad guy possibly made contact with the deputy, causing the deputy to fall backwards. The deputy did do a great job and was able to survive a deadly situation. Nobody but the guy that caused it was hurt.

The comments from the public are just folks that are completely uneducated on this subject. They are basing their comments on things they have seen in a movie or on TV. The real benefit to this video is that it really shows how fast these incidents evolve and how the cops are reacting to what the bad guy is doing.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
They are doing this dance in San Francisco right now with a knife wielding suspect shot dead. All you hear is the people saying "well he only had a knife. They didn't have to shoot him" :rolleyes:blah:

WTF!!!?!. Do you want to get stabbed by a knife? An angry person with a knife will fuck you up. Even a 3-4 inch blade has the potential to be lethal.

I am all for having some of the protesters get stabbed as a test. :p You know, just to see what it is like. :D

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
There was a news story out of Phoenix a year or so ago where the cops got in touch with one of the "protest leaders" regarding a recent police shooting. The "protester" agreed to go through a some real world training scenarios like you mentioned but with various suspects in different scenarios not being compliant.

Needless to say the guy failed miserably and was shot in several scenarios because he hesitated JUST like he demanded the police do while protesting.

In the end the man was intellectually honest and said he understood the need for suspects to be compliant at all times with the police. Evidently things go to shit really quickly.

I have a personal rule that says I stay the hell out of these conversations but I will share this as food for thought.

This was on VHS, and after seeing it since I was in charge of the training program we bought one for the FTO team.
In part of the film a man playing the role of an attacker, armed with a rubber knife, was positioned varying distances from a uniformed cop with a dummy pistol in his duty holster.
I cannot remember the exact distance, but I believe that the man with the knife could, without anyone saying "go" or anything, run and stab the cop from a distance of 20 ft. before the cop could draw and fire.
Even with a "go" signal so the cop knew when he was coming it was very close...too damn close.
The video made a strong impression on every cop we showed it to. We even recreated it, because we had guys calling B.S., and it was accurate. The old saying about bringing a knife to a gun fight has basis in truth, but under bad circumstances it can go to hell in a handbasket very quickly.

These little moments of video rarely tell the whole story, but I think this cop may have shown a bit too much restraint. I think many cops on the street these days are being so conditioned by the current crap going on in this country that we very well may lose some of them because they wait too long to take action, fearing the repercussions...

Last comment...
Using non-lethal tools (taser) against lethal weapons (knife) can be a recipe for disaster. You will win a few but you are going to lose at some point. Losing in this case means perhaps dying. If there is another cop standing by with a firearm trained on the suspect and ya think you want to give it a try, okay, but a solo cop might not have time to draw and fire if he is busy pulling, reloading, or re-securing a taser after a ineffective deployment.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Clean shoot. Cop gave him more than enough of a chance to comply. Take away the badge if it was you or me with a concealed weapon and a dude came at you with a knife like that.... game on.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
They are doing this dance in San Francisco right now with a knife wielding suspect shot dead. All you hear is the people saying "well he only had a knife. They didn't have to shoot him" :rolleyes:blah:

WTF!!!?!. Do you want to get stabbed by a knife? An angry person with a knife will fuck you up. Even a 3-4 inch blade has the potential to be lethal.

I am all for having some of the protesters get stabbed as a test. :p You know, just to see what it is like. :D

Think I've heard its best not to take a knife to a gun fight

TLAW719

Reaction score
This was discussed in a thread I posted last week and the general consensus is that a knife wielding individual could do serious damage if not put down immediately. As seen in this video, the guy was still able to lunge at the officer even after being shot!! All it takes is that knife to be put in the right spot and the officer could bleed out before anyone can help him. This officer showed tremendous restraint and gave the guy many opportunities before feeling that he had no other choice but to put him down.

I agree. Plus depending on the type of vest he is using, a knife could go right through it.

Taboma

Reaction score
Please excuse me for repeating my question, does anybody know if Ventura Sheriffs are using 9mm or 40 cal ?

500bbc

Reaction score

Last comment...

At the end of the video he knocks the officer down, after being shot.

TLAW719

Reaction score

Haha I like the last part of your comment.

And you are correct. Even a 1-2 inch blade, if used/placed properly can be deadly.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Officer handled the situation and did what he had to do. Shitty situation either way- had he not shot the guy they would have gotten into a scuffle and accused of excessive force.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Crazy white dudes lives matter!!

All kidding aside condolences to the family of the deceased, and the officer and his family.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Years back the rookies came out of the jail jobs to patrol in Camarillo because it was relatively crime free... They sure worked hard looking for crime where there wasn't any... especially after midnight!!

That said, the officer did exactly what he needed to do. Truly a shame some family, somewhere will have a lot less that a Merry Christmas, but it won't be the Deputy's family....
Ray

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
Clean shoot. Cop gave him more than enough of a chance to comply. Take away the badge if it was you or me with a concealed weapon and a dude came at you with a knife like that.... game on.

Game on indeed."Mental treatment" for shooter? I take it those of u that have that viewpoint have never had a knife pulled on you..lol

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
Game on indeed."Mental treatment" for shooter? I take it those of u that have that viewpoint have never had a knife pulled on you..lol

I think you misunderstand when people talk about mental treatment for the cop. If he's never killed anyone in the line of duty, and the way this played out it could have a negative impact on his life. Nothing wrong with stating we hope he gets support if it's indeed needed.

Taking another mans life can play a major role on someones psyche

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand when people talk about mental treatment for the cop. If he's never killed anyone in the line of duty, and the way this played out it could have a negative impact on his life. Nothing wrong with stating we hope he gets support if it's indeed needed.

Taking another mans life can play a major role on someones psyche

Yes.You are absolutely correct.Well stated reply.However.I wouldnt miss a beat puttin dude down after pulling a blade on me and coming@me with bad intentions...Its one of the most unnerving things that can happen if u are in and altercation unarmed..I had a dude pinned against a jukebox.(self defense) I slipped and went down to my knees.(fukn flip flops) Dude was trying to get@his knife sheath.That could have ended poorly for me.Very lucky it didnt...

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
Yes.You are absolutely correct.Well stated reply.However.I wouldnt miss a beat puttin dude down after pulling a blade on me and coming@me with bad intentions...Its one of the most unnerving things that can happen if u are in and altercation unarmed..I had a dude pinned against a jukebox.(self defense) I slipped and went down to my knees.(fukn flip flops) Dude was trying to get@his knife sheath.That could have ended poorly for me.Very lucky it didnt...

Very lucky! Good thing he wasn't able to get it

Andy01

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this, I just showed my wife so she could understand a bullet doesn't stop someone instantly.

Kbach

Reaction score

Last comment...

That actually showed the video in one of my CCW classes I took. Very informative for sure.