WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Offshore Community Re: Great Whites in SoCal

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Wondering what the current RDP Asylum Members thinking is these last several years around swimming with our Great Whites? As for me, I tend to dive in/ out a bit more rapidly than 5 years ago.

westair

Reaction score
Stay with the crowd in the water ...... odds are better

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
And I forgot one additional piece of info .... I've gotten into the habit of asking all females if they're "In Season" prior to jumping in with them..... I'll let that marinate with you younger bucks. Love the facial expressions on the younger gals when I say that. Its a technique for establishing who are the cool chicks from the throwbacks.... but really, I do want to know before I swim around them.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
And I forgot one additional piece of info .... I've gotten into the habit of asking all females if they're "In Season" prior to jumping in with them..... I'll let that marinate with you younger bucks. Love the facial expressions on the younger gals when I say that. Its a technique for establishing who are the cool chicks from the throwbacks.... but really, I do want to know before I swim around them.

Shark week!

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I wasn’t paying that much attention one time when I pulled into Catalina island and there was a bunch of Jellyfish around. Never worried much about sharks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I wasn’t paying that much attention one time when I pulled into Catalina island and there was a bunch of Jellyfish around. Never worried much about sharks.

Guess what young great whites eat? Yup, jelly fish.... crazy huh.

C-2

Reaction score

Lol, easy now! My 17-year old daughter has been surfing 1-2 times per week and I'll be sure to rattle her cage with this reminder. I'm sure she'll tell me to drop dead; ain't stopping her.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Shark week pretty much put a end to my beach swimming excursions.. fuck that shit!!

JFMFG

Reaction score
I won’t even dip a toe in the ocean.

westair

Reaction score
Tell that to the crew of the USS Indianapolis
There's no surefire way to survive a shark encounter other than stay out of the water ...... tragic what happened to the crew on the Indianapolis

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Wife is terrified of them so is my daughter. I dont care either way. If a shark is how i go its better than a heart attack... At least im doing something i love.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Wife is terrified of them so is my daughter. I dont care either way. If a shark is how i go its better than a heart attack... At least im doing something i love.
Not sure that way is a better way to go. Massive heart attack is quick and not much suffering

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
:p

saw-a-guy-at-the-beach-yelling-help-shark-help-44425074.png

Brobee

Reaction score
Tell that to the crew of the USS Indianapolis

Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian to Laytee, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know... was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like ol' squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark comes to the nearest man and that man, he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.
Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, boson's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. He'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He's a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian to Laytee, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know... was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like ol' squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark comes to the nearest man and that man, he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.
Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, boson's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. He'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He's a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

Thank you for sharing. I never heard about this before, now I want to learn more about it.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
You never saw Jaws? (this was a monologue in that movie)

They delivered one of the nuclear bombs dropped on Japan to Tinian

So their mission was super secret. When they went down no distress signal was sent and they werent reported late for some time after. It was a terrible tragedy under secret war time conditions.

Thank you for sharing. I never heard about this before, now I want to learn more about it.

Xring01

Reaction score
I have been fishing offshore in San Diego since 1996...
Great Whites dont scare me..., just dont dress like a seal, when you get in the ocean.. The idiot who thinks Black Wet suits are the way to go should be shot... give me a pink wet suit, red one, how about, anything but black.

Hammerheads... those are piranhas of the ocean... They scare me.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
An FYI.... That is the direct script from the original Jaws movie around 1975. Good stuff and kind of a game changer flick in my opinion.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I have been fishing offshore in San Diego since 1996...
Great Whites dont scare me..., just dont dress like a seal, when you get in the ocean.. The idiot who thinks Black Wet suits are the way to go should be shot... give me a pink wet suit, red one, how about, anything but black.

Hammerheads... those are piranhas of the ocean... They scare me.
Agreed.... I was arriving back to harbor from Catalina a few years ago and as I came off throttles entering I heard a bunch of helicopters over head hovering. Well, I learned later that evening a tri athlete gal had been swimming in our CDM main beach and got bit twice by a 12 foot white; once in shoulder, once in hip.... thats only around 20' of water and a 12' white is a beefy assed fish. Well, as you know they hate the way we taste so she got spit out, survived and is back swimming again. But I gotta say, I went out about a week later and damn if there weren't swimmers doing laps in that area in black wetsuits again. That about did it for me.... I swim in the harbor now.

Taboma

Reaction score
During the late 60's got my ass chewed out by the Avalon Patrol Boat for water skiing into the mooring harbor.

I'd skied across from Newport behind my 17' Formula Jr (LIke Donzi) with my buddy driving and as I went to drop off outside the harbor I noticed the huge fin and dark body of a shark right THERE --- Fuck That, waved my buddy on and refused to drop the handles, so he kept towing me until we were well inside and away from the monster.
So that's exactly how I explained it to the patrol when he came racing over with blue flashing lights. "No sir, no way in hell was I going to drop off into the mouth of a waiting shark, so write me up if you must"
I think he believed me since he took off out that way, but of course I got the obligatory "DON'T ever do that again" sign off speech. 😁

30 years later in almost the same spot, I was trolliing along in my Zodiac while our sports fisher was hanging on a mooring. Sure has hell, hooked up a large Mako --- well let me tell you, you haven't truly fought a Mako Shark until you done it out of a rubber boat filled with air keeping you afloat :eek::eek::eek: I really felt like king shit towing that thing by the tail, back into the harbor, past all the swimmers :oops: 😂 During one of the failed gaffing attempts I actually pulled him part way into the boat with me --- that shit will really get your pulse rate up there. 😁 Used my foot to kick his thrashing ass back into the water again.
Should you ever attempt this, you'll discover as I did, when you try to stick him with the gaff, he stays put and you and the rubber boat are pulled right towards his gnashing teeth.
That was the most rewarding shark I ever caught and tasted the best was well --- fuck him, I win 👍👍

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
During the late 60's got my ass chewed out by the Avalon Patrol Boat for water skiing into the mooring harbor.

I'd skied across from Newport behind my 17' Formula Jr (LIke Donzi) with my buddy driving and as I went to drop off outside the harbor I noticed the huge fin and dark body of a shark right THERE --- Fuck That, waved my buddy on and refused to drop the handles, so he kept towing me until we were well inside and away from the monster.
So that's exactly how I explained it to the patrol when he came racing over with blue flashing lights. "No sir, no way in hell was I going to drop off into the mouth of a waiting shark, so write me up if you must"
I think he believed me since he took off out that way, but of course I got the obligatory "DON'T ever do that again" sign off speech. 😁

30 years later in almost the same spot, I was trolliing along in my Zodiac while our sports fisher was hanging on a mooring. Sure has hell, hooked up a large Mako --- well let me tell you, you haven't truly fought a Mako Shark until you done it out of a rubber boat filled with air keeping you afloat :eek::eek::eek: I really felt like king shit towing that thing by the tail, back into the harbor, past all the swimmers :oops: 😂 During one of the failed gaffing attempts I actually pulled him part way into the boat with me --- that shit will really get your pulse rate up there. 😁 Used my foot to kick his thrashing ass back into the water again.
Should you ever attempt this, you'll discover as I did, when you try to stick him with the gaff, he stays put and you and the rubber boat are pulled right towards his gnashing teeth.
That was the most rewarding shark I ever caught and tasted the best was well --- fuck him, I win 👍👍
Yup, I caught a 6' Mako off the island once.... wore my ass out.... and those friggin teeth!

Taboma

Reaction score
Yup, I caught a 6' Mako off the island once.... wore my ass out.... and those friggin teeth!

Those pricks can sure tear up some gaffs with all their gyrations and leave teeth marks in your swimstep, they just refuse to die :mad:

Baited and caught a 180 lb hammerhead right off La Jolla one afternoon. He tore up two or three gaffs, twisted them up like pretzels, finally got a long flying gaff to stick.
He tried to chew the swimstep off, but we finally got him tail roped and after dragging him backwards, he chilled. Pulled into the Mission Bay Marlin club to get him weighed, just as the full to capacity evening lobster dive boat was casting off. Dive master is giving instructions and all the divers were just staring at his large hammerhead on our step.
"Where'd ya catch him ?" the question rang out ---- "Right off La Jolla, about where you're going lobster hunting" was my response :oops: :oops: I tell ya, the looks were priceless 🤭 😂 You know damn well, those divers were hearing the theme song from JAWS ever time they got wet. 😁

Heylam

Reaction score
Better chance of getting eaten by the piranha in Lake Havasu, then getting hit by a shark in SoCal. Lol

4Waters

Reaction score
My run in with a Great (baby) White Shark. No joke, I saw is swimming by in a little over a foot of water, all I could see was the dorsal fin and figured it was a gray shark. I ran out and reached in and grabbed it by the tail and then realized it was much bigger than the gray sharks I caught by hand as a kid. I still couldn't really see it and it was pissed off and no way I was letting it go. I pulled it out of the water and about shit myself, a baby Great White.

20200610_141931.jpg

You can see it's trying to bite me here.

20200610_141851.jpg

I let the kids in the campground see it and let it go about 5 minutes later.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
My run in with a Great (baby) White Shark. No joke, I saw is swimming by in a little over a foot of water, all I could see was the dorsal fin and figured it was a gray shark. I ran out and reached in and grabbed it by the tail and then realized it was much bigger than the gray sharks I caught by hand as a kid. I still couldn't really see it and it was pissed off and no way I was letting it go. I pulled it out of the water and about shit myself, a baby Great White.

View attachment 887043

You can see it's trying to bite me here.

View attachment 887045

I let the kids in the campground see it and let it go about 5 minutes later.
That's the coolest story I've heard in a while... and that you got pics is crazy! Look at em reaching over to take a chunk!

4Waters

Reaction score
That's the coolest story I've heard in a while... and that you got pics is crazy! Look at em reaching over to take a chunk!
The teeth snapping together was crazy sounding, a couple hours earlier I caught a 2.5 foot shovel nose shark.

johnnyC

Reaction score

my wifes father was on that ship, he was lucky to have been transferred off abt seven months before she went down, what a horrible thing to experance!!!!!!!!!!!!