WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Offshore Races In Havasu This Weekend

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Some amateur head to head racing is supposed to go down on Havasu this weekend.

Anybody here participating??

55c4e75ec087f82846c2603ae9d2ee82.jpg
bd6bfa9f17564ef37d3c83de922b8562.jpg
3b22cc95780e390fb7a21b0c635a1b6b.jpg

Andy01

Reaction score
ANYONE ENTERING THIS UNDER A NORMAL INSURANCE POLICY WILL HAVE NO COVERAGE! I don't care if I wrote you or another agent/company, be CERTAIN to review your policy before you enter.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Where on the Lake will this take place? Will there be areas closed due to the event?

Daytona47

Reaction score
From what I have read they're will be a closed course. I know of a few htms that are scheduled to race not sure who else is running.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Will that be the same location as the DS Shoot Out course? The course near Site Six. Or the N-S, 5.4 mile lap off Rotary Beach and running a lap to the south of there?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Honestly if it wasn't my birthday weekend I'd be all over this! I have been watching a lot of people talk a lot of shit on fb for a long time about who's gonna do what.. lol.

That said I'm not sure half these guys are gonna pass tech. I didn't read the rules but lanyards and throttle return springs have to be a must, and I don't know how many have the real safety equipment required? (had to be lifelines and helmets etc?). Either way it will be interesting to watch for whoever is in town! I wish I could attend, but Parker is calling.

By the way from a dead stop, I'd put money on my Schiada with a small block over Davie Stones F-32 in the 1:l/4 and half mile! :D. Rolling start I'd probably still get him in the 1/4. :D

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Honestly if it wasn't my birthday weekend I'd be all over this! I have been watching a lot of people talk a lot of shit on fb for a long time about who's gonna do what.. lol.

That said I'm not sure half these guys are gonna pass tech. I didn't read the rules but lanyards and throttle return springs have to be a must, and I don't know how many have the real safety equipment required? (had to be lifelines and helmets etc?). Either way it will be interesting to watch for whoever is in town! I wish I could attend, but Parker is calling.

By the way from a dead stop, I'd put money on my Schiada with a small block over Davie Stones F-32 in the 1:l/4 and half mile! :D. Rolling start I'd probably still get him in the 1/4. :D
Exactly what I was thinking. From a dead stop, a 21 foot outboard will smoke these guys.

Still would be fun to watch, but has to be a rolling start just like they do at LOTO with the heads up race.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
From a dead stop we go full circle back to jet boats and v drives.. lol. If they are running those single boat round courses I'd bet a twin turbo v drive Schiada would Spank all of them.. well right up until an ET or F1 boat came long anyways then it's game over for everyone. Lol.

Sbarry

Reaction score
ANYONE ENTERING THIS UNDER A NORMAL INSURANCE POLICY WILL HAVE NO COVERAGE! I don't care if I wrote you or another agent/company, be CERTAIN to review your policy before you enter.

This was my very first thought!!!

It's completely blows me away that this is even happening...

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I can't believe they got CG permits for closed course. Will their be rescue boats, divers etc?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I can't believe they got CG permits for closed course. Will their be rescue boats, divers etc?

I don't know a lot about it, but it's a self sanctioned race body, and they have some kind of insurance. If they have that at a minimum they had to meet some safety requirements. (As a person that has put on races before and telling everyone what a pain in the ass it can be... at least through APBA in my experience).

I'm sure it's all fine.. How much safety and rescue? who knows. It's all pretty short course, so if I was putting it on it would probably be 2 - 4 boats ready to roll, but my main concern would be patrol boats in that short of a course. 1 - 2 guys in them middle of the course could get anywhere pretty quickly. Keeping the water calm, and keeping spectators at a distance would be the prime concern on the challenge courses that I saw. Not sure what the big or bigger course entails.

Todd is handling most everything for the event, and he's a nazi so I'm sure all the permits etc are in place. Safety and rescue have to meet min requirements by the promoter to even be insured, so I'm sure it's fine there as well. (too varying degrees)

If it's the circle course and I wasn't out of town this weekend I'd call out a twin engine cat in my little 21 all day long.. More laps the better. :D

RD

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I've been confused about what this event is all about since the start. I get it that it is a "Call-Out" event with a short oval course in front of the Nautical in Thompson Bay. What I don't know is if they are still running the Round-Up Cup which is a much longer course that goes south from Thompson Bay down to about Copper Canyon and back for several laps. I saw the original Coast Guard permit request a couple of months ago. Information on the permit was pretty sparse but apparently good enough for the Coast Guard to issue the permit. The permit request was circulated to a large number of agencies asking if anyone had any comments or objections. Apparently there weren't any. If I remember correctly, normal boat traffic in the area of Thompson Bay and as far down as Copper Canyon was going to be restricted on Friday, Saturday and Sunday when the races were going. As for insurance coverage, tech inspection, patrol boats, rescue teams, etc., etc., I have no idea.

JRider

Reaction score
I do like the idea of run what ya brung race.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score

Is there a specific rider for a person that participates in say LOTTO or Desert Storm, where they run their boat through a defined course at speed? I'm curious is all.

With a regular auto or classic auto policy it usually states if you participate in race activity at a track your policy provides no coverage. I'd imagine there is a similar clause within watercraft policy (I haven't read mine that close as my boat couldn't beat a buoy to the other side of a lake)?

headshothills

Reaction score
I can't help but laugh at this... this whole Facebook page started out at a joke back in DS, and now there's a FB page and it's been a complete shit show as Dave has mentioned. Now along comes ORO for simulated offshore circle track racing on a closed course to entice and spread word about offshore racing and allow the average joe to participate. Since then it's been an even bigger shit show.

Now along comes the heads up racing, now all these different rules, yet, trying to get those figured out is a shot show...

And thanks for Clarifying Andy, you made my point about this whole thing that I posted on there weeks ago a reality... who in their right mind want to pay 200 bucks to register, then pay to race and huck their 100-500k around a track or on a rolling straight for a mere participation trophy and bragging rights.. sorry.. if I wad my shit up, I gotta pay for it?? No thanks.. I'll sit on the sidelines

#HavasuOffshoreRacing - Bwahahahaha

Andy01

Reaction score
Call out.....
Any of you fuckers wanna race our pontoons I'm in. Full bimini, full coolers. :rolleyes

I'm in, I'll take that bet. I will race you in the kids ski boat I bought last year. It's a 1998 Comp ski boat, small block Merc. How much beer can I bring and where are we racing to? :drink I'll be hiring a driving as well. Ha ha ha! :drink:drink How about if we race away from the races as there is bound to be something flying off of something.

Tank

Reaction score
The pontoon idea is bitchin!

Its like the old Olympics (like jr olympics but for geriatrics) only for the boating community

Lots of places actually do electric craft poker runs. Pretty fun too.

I haven't followed all the history on the event, I'm not on FB or twitter or whatever, but I kinda get the concept and reasoning - Letting guys that want to talk about how fast they are, or guys that go to poker runs to "race", get on a closed course and prove their grit. I get it, good in theory. And if done right, would be cool.

I agree with the insurance issue, but you can get coverage or exemptions for an event like this...You want to be a tough guy and say you'd win a race then you have to put your money where your mouth is and step up, even if it means insurance exemption. :eek:eek

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Neither Golakehavasu.com, or havasunews.com have any information about this event.. I'm wondering how access to the south end of the lake is going to be affected from Thompson bay. Looks like its gonna be screwed, but I cant find anything. Anybody know anything?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I can't help but laugh at this... this whole Facebook page started out at a joke back in DS, and now there's a FB page and it's been a complete shit show as Dave has mentioned. Now along comes ORO for simulated offshore circle track racing on a closed course to entice and spread word about offshore racing and allow the average joe to participate. Since then it's been an even bigger shit show.

Now along comes the heads up racing, now all these different rules, yet, trying to get those figured out is a shot show...

And thanks for Clarifying Andy, you made my point about this whole thing that I posted on there weeks ago a reality... who in their right mind want to pay 200 bucks to register, then pay to race and huck their 100-500k around a track or on a rolling straight for a mere participation trophy and bragging rights.. sorry.. if I wad my shit up, I gotta pay for it?? No thanks.. I'll sit on the sidelines

#HavasuOffshoreRacing - Bwahahahaha

People do it all the time with their cars that cost $100-$400K.... just food for thought.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It says 2 lap duels, counterclockwise rotation... whatever that means.

Perhaps you use both lanes for the "oval"

Originally it was two separate courses side by side, single boat per track for the guys that wanted to try boat racing.

Just talked to grass pays. He says it's straight line.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Originally it was two separate courses side by side, single boat per track for the guys that wanted to try boat racing.

Insurance was probably a ton cheaper and easier to organize as a straight line.

28Eliminator

Reaction score

Explain this photo that?s on their FB page. Is there more going on than the straight line races in Thompson bay??

IMG_7236.jpg

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
This may have been covered and I missed it - can you drop in the Marina and go South or do we have to go up through the Channel and around the island.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This may have been covered and I missed it - can you drop in the Marina and go South or do we have to go up through the Channel and around the island.

I would think they would have some kind of idle through area close to the beach?

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Figure 8 course in the duals would be good entertainment

If it's HTM's vs DCB's on ovals that would be entertaining enough for me! No need to add in the figure 8.. :D

I'm not sure how any of these guys think they are going to catch an HTM with a big twin Cat.. HTM's don't weigh anything and are half the size. It would be about like an HTM trying to race a V-drive on a short course.

The strengths of the big DCB's are all about high speed cruising. If the DCB's wanted to kill the HTM's they should just challenge them to something like mouth of the river to the Dam..

Seems like they are picking the weakest points of both sets of boats and trying to see who's better, over picking the best points of each.

RD

JRider

Reaction score
If it's HTM's vs DCB's on ovals that would be entertaining enough for me! No need to add in the figure 8.. :D

I'm not sure how any of these guys think they are going to catch an HTM with a big twin Cat.. HTM's don't weigh anything and are half the size. It would be about like an HTM trying to race a V-drive on a short course.

The strengths of the big DCB's are all about high speed cruising. If the DCB's wanted to kill the HTM's they should just challenge them to something like mouth of the river to the Dam..

Seems like they are picking the weakest points of both sets of boats and trying to see who's better, over picking the best points of each.

RD

Perhaps there could be lead times in the callouts?

I would think the big cats would have to throw some small wheels on?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
So, a 3/4 mile course starting in front of the Nautical? As mentioned in a prior post, they received a permit from USCG to restrict the lake all the way to Copper Canyon?

riverroyal

Reaction score
How the hell does nobody have credible information on this? This is riverdaves, it's more or less a havasu information hub.
Seems crazy

riverroyal

Reaction score
The pontoon idea is bitchin!

Its like the old Olympics (like jr olympics but for geriatrics) only for the boating community

Would be funny. Can I get a sponsor? I will call out a bennington. Ha.