WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Oh the joys of being the boss

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I started my company almost 20 years ago and have had the ups and downs but i still think the hardest part is firing someone, its bad enough dealing with the personal part of it, but then you have to deal with the legal issues and not mess up or you get sued because you didn't say the right thing or have all the paper work in order , even harder when you really like the person. but some people just think they can take advantage and do whatever they like.
I have always tried to give people the benefit of he doubt and understand that they might be having issues that i don't know about but it just seems that some people feel that everything is owed to them. and some people just flat out can't do the job, but damn it sure sucks

Singleton

Reaction score
never liked those days
always did that task on a Tues, Wed or Thursday. Allows for someone to check-in on that person before the weekend.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Ha! It gets easier Boys. Reminds me of A memorable night on Lake Mojave.

Our neighbor had just face planted his Pontoon into a rocky outcrop coming into the Cove. At night. In his altered State, quite admirable pushing the boat off of the Point, and navigating back across the Lagoon. Except for the tore half off toenail, a couple pints of blood everywhere. Once back on the beach the cleanup ensued, and any trace of the mishap was cleaned up. Well. A loud impact! Dented Toons... Leatherneck sat in his chair, calmly smoking his raw Camels, with Silver Bullet Chasers. "Hey Old Man, we gotta get you cleaned up." "Naw, I'll wait for Tommy.' His beloved SIL. So Tommy arrives, we pile the Old Man into the shower, clean him up. Sitting down, looking at his tore up toe, toenail hanging out. We're like, "NO way, I'm not pulling that offa there." And right here Boys, is the moral off the story;

"Leatherneck Dave looks at us all and sez, "You bunch of Pussies. Gimme those pliers..."

DWC

Reaction score
Hardest part of being an "er" vs "ee".
Always hated letting someone go, usually had the worst night of sleep the nite before.
Spot on Ziggy. Night before is absolutely the worst. It’s not as bad when they deserve it to due to lack of effort. Really sucks when it’s because they did something stupid. (IE sleeping with a co-worker at their promotion party and getting fired a month later :oops:). Best part is changing someone’s life by giving them an opportunity. Doesn’t quite even it out but stings less.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score

Our neighbor had just face planted his Pontoon into a rocky outcrop coming into the Cove. At night. In his altered State, quite admirable pushing the boat off of the Point, and navigating back across the Lagoon. Except for the tore half off toenail, a couple pints of blood everywhere. Once back on the beach the cleanup ensued, and any trace of the mishap was cleaned up. Well. A loud impact! Dented Toons... Leatherneck sat in his chair, calmly smoking his raw Camels, with Silver Bullet Chasers. "Hey Old Man, we gotta get you cleaned up." "Naw, I'll wait for Tommy.' His beloved SIL. So Tommy arrives, we pile the Old Man into the shower, clean him up. Sitting down, looking at his tore up toe, toenail hanging out. We're like, "NO way, I'm not pulling that offa there." And right here Boys, is the moral off the story;

"Leatherneck Dave looks at us all and sez, "You bunch of Pussies. Gimme those pliers..."
What the hell ? That doesn’t even make sense ...

Singleton

Reaction score
Spot on Ziggy. Night before is absolutely the worst. It’s not as bad when they deserve it to due to lack of effort. Really sucks when it’s because they did something stupid. (IE sleeping with a co-worker at their promotion party and getting fired a month later :oops:). Best part is changing someone’s life by giving them an opportunity. Doesn’t quite even it out but stings less.

I worked special investigations for a few companies.
The stuff I discovered was crazy. I have had to terminate more employees outside my department then within and I ended up getting numb to it. But when you catch a sales guy, running his lease payment through on the corporate card and calling it repairs (that company reimbursed for repairs if out on a sales call and your personal car broke down), or the entire 8 person department I terminated for running a expense scam (employee purchased, mgr approved, vp approved expenses), you get numb.
The worst was the overseas employee who took a bribe (bribe was custom pool installed in his backyard) for picking one vendor over another. That guy got fired and the company placed a lien on the house and ended up taking the guys house.
Have more stories, but you can see after these events, how you get numb to it and wonder WTF are people thinking sometimes.

Riverryder

Reaction score

Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
One of our kids fought cancer his whole life and longed for the day he could work a job and put the sickness behind him.

A Greek Couple hired him and he really learned how to run a quality kitchen. They empowered him to hire help too.

The only thing he dislikes about his job is firing people and has to weekly. Even the girls running the registers barely make it 2 weeks.

We’re looking into a Culver’s franchise and that’s the one thing, the only thing holding him back.
Like Ziggy, it really gets to him.

Riverryder

Reaction score

Majority of this guys post are like this I get a good laugh out of them every time I see the van avatar!

DWC

Reaction score
I worked special investigations for a few companies.
The stuff I discovered was crazy. I have had to terminate more employees outside my department then within and I ended up getting numb to it. But when you catch a sales guy, running his lease payment through on the corporate card and calling it repairs (that company reimbursed for repairs if out on a sales call and your personal car broke down), or the entire 8 person department I terminated for running a expense scam (employee purchased, mgr approved, vp approved expenses), you get numb.
The worst was the overseas employee who took a bribe (bribe was custom pool installed in his backyard) for picking one vendor over another. That guy got fired and the company placed a lien on the house and ended up taking the guys house.
Have more stories, but you can see after these events, how you get numb to it and wonder WTF are people thinking sometimes.
It is crazy what people do. We’ve had a couple good bribe cases with people spending time with the Feds now. I almost get taking a shot at millions. Almost.
I had to fire an ex-peer a couple years ago. He was demoted and guess he was getting even by double expensing rental cars/hotels. Long flight to Seattle to give him a surprise visit. He wasn’t too happy to see me.

Singleton

Reaction score
It is crazy what people do. We’ve had a couple good bribe cases with people spending time with the Feds now. I almost get taking a shot at millions. Almost.
I had to fire an ex-peer a couple years ago. He was demoted and guess he was getting even by double expensing rental cars/hotels. Long flight to Seattle to give him a surprise visit. He wasn’t too happy to see me.

if I got involved with the case, the employees manager was always the harder conversation and the last conversation.
Once the investigation was over, myself and HR Legal would conclude on action (almost always was termination). Myself and HR Legal would have conversation with employee first, then when HR was going through termination documents, etc, I would have to track down manager and inform them what just went down. That was always the harder conversation, because we could not share all the facts with the manager.
Usually I would have one of my team members following that manager (it is amazing how accurate you can be finding someone using meeting invites on calendar and access to the security cameras in the office), so I knew exactly where they were, so I could have that conversation in person.

while I enjoyed the investigation work, the termination conversations sucked every time I did one

Reactions: DWC

Wedgy

Reaction score

I know, Right? Just how many hundreds of times do we have to look in the back of the pickup of the prospect Jman "Tilesetter," and ask that same Question?

Had two Supers, Carl Peters, at Tile Trends, Marine. Boxer. Lacking Tact.. And Leonard Odum, at SelecTile of Ca. Deacon, Catholic Church. Wave Runner Rider.
We had a saying,
For Leonard, you do it out of Love. For Carl, you do it out of Fear... RIP Carl. Semper Fidelis

Ha! It gets easier Boys. "You bunch of Pussies. Gimme those pliers..."

MeCasa16

Reaction score
One of our kids fought cancer his whole life and longed for the day he could work a job and put the sickness behind him.

A Greek Couple hired him and he really learned how to run a quality kitchen. They empowered him to hire help too.

The only thing he dislikes about his job is firing people and has to weekly. Even the girls running the registers barely make it 2 weeks.

We’re looking into a Culver’s franchise and that’s the one thing, the only thing holding him back.
Like Ziggy, it really gets to him.

Culver’s is one of the greatest things to come out of Wisconsin. I will say though, the people running it and the employees they hire make all the difference. My experience at the Culver’s in Havasu is never even close to the quality you get at any Culver’s in Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Culver’s is one of the greatest things to come out of Wisconsin. I will say though, the people running it and the employees they hire make all the difference. My experience at the Culver’s in Havasu is never even close to the quality you get at any Culver’s in Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We like the one in BHC. Happy employees and good food with reasonable prices.
3% franchise fee.
Worth a consideration anyone who wants to do something like this.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I've let go at least a dozen employees. Some were hard to do, most of the time they fucked up and knew it. Some take advantage and ignore the warnings.

Often you can blame it on budget, that we just can't afford to keep them on. When they cry in your office...that's the worst.

Riverryder

Reaction score
I know, Right? Just how many hundreds of times do we have to look in the back of the pickup of the prospect Jman "Tilesetter," and ask that same Question?

Had two Supers, Carl Peters, at Tile Trends, Marine. Boxer. Lacking Tact.. And Leonard Odum, at SelecTile of Ca. Deacon, Catholic Church. Wave Runner Rider.
We had a saying,
For Leonard, you do it out of Love. For Carl, you do it out of Fear... RIP Carl. Semper Fidelis

Ha! It gets easier Boys. "You bunch of Pussies. Gimme those pliers..."

Yes!

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I had a gas station for 15 years , after the first one it was easy , I went through hundreds ...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Never had an office gig. Never had to fire people who did deserve it or understand why. They never cried, but almost came to blows more than once. Sometime I wonder what a respectable career or job is like. After some of these, I think I prefer the less respectable...less paperwork.

jetur

Reaction score
Not a big deal. Shit happens and people come and go. The hard part for me is when they are really good at their job and finding the replacement. So I tend to let things go a little further than most out of my dread of going through the hiring process. Not to mention the cost of hiring someone.

450grip

Reaction score
Being the boss is equivalent to being a politician and a glorified babysitter.
Neither of which I enjoy.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Haha! Firing a corporate employee...paper work and they clean out their desk, get walked out by security if they did something bad enough.

Fire someone in my world, you have to inspect their tools at gunpoint usually, to make sure they are not stealing from you or the other mechanics.

Wait for them to rent a truck or bring a friend to help load up their shit, worry about the work they were involved in currently...and all the subsequent comebacks that you will have to pay someone else to fix, or do it yourself.

There is a reason I don't have employee's anymore.....;)