WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Oil bath bearing service....

Briley

Reaction score
Paid $498.59 on 5/21/14 to have all three axles serviced and replace new seals on oil bath bearings on my extreme trailer, this also included a replacing right front caliper. First trip out (two week later) two bearing leaked and had to be redone (supposedly set screws). Now two months later two more are dry and leaked all over rims.

Am I wrong to think they should have lasted longer than two months?? Should I switch over to grease?? I think at this point I should take back to shop and have them service leaking ones again.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I'd for sure take it back to the place that did the work. They should make it right.

blackcloud75

Reaction score
Paid $498.59 on 5/21/14 to have all three axles serviced and replace new seals on oil bath bearings on my extreme trailer, this also included a replacing right front caliper. First trip out (two week later) two bearing leaked and had to be redone (supposedly set screws). Now two months later two more are dry and leaked all over rims.

Am I wrong to think they should have lasted longer than two months?? Should I switch over to grease?? I think at this point I should take back to shop and have them service leaking ones again.

Where did you have the service done? Havi?....I have one that is leaking also....

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Brikey, when the oil bath hubs first came out they were all the rage.. Everybody got them or upgraded to them etc.. I had them in one of my trailers as well.

Every single person I know that had them switched to grease hubs.. Lol. They all leak. Doesn't matter how many times you fix them.. It seems like you finally get them to seal and then a couple weeks later there it is again..

RD

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with mine. They went 5 years, no problems, then overheated the brakes by mistake and 3 seals let go, had all three axles done with all new seals oil etc and then shortly after 1 let go then another. Total pain in the ass..... I did not know they could be switched over to grease, I assume just remove the non serviceable hub cover and switch in bearing buddies and fill with grease? Dave is that what you did?

TexasJet

Reaction score
I have them on my double axle trailer. One leaks, the other three have been fine for over 7 years. The one that leaks only leaks a small amount and no water gets in. I have replaced the inner seal 3 times and it still leaks the same small amount. Grease is the way to go.

Wakebrdr94

Reaction score
One of my old trailers had oil bath and a couple leaked when it was new, I was told to use plumbers taper on the screw where I fill, and never had an issue again. Went 8 trouble free years after that before I sold it. I hated grease bearings. I now have vaults on my new trailer.

Take it back and make them do it right

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with mine. They went 5 years, no problems, then overheated the brakes by mistake and 3 seals let go, had all three axles done with all new seals oil etc and then shortly after 1 let go then another. Total pain in the ass..... I did not know they could be switched over to grease, I assume just remove the non serviceable hub cover and switch in bearing buddies and fill with grease? Dave is that what you did?

I ended up selling the boat.. But yes if memory is correct you can just change the fronts over to bearing buddies. Call adrenaline and ask for Frank, he can give you the correct answer on how to switch them. 928-680-1030

rush1

Reaction score
I have oil bath hubs on the front of my motor home and have been on there for over a 130 thousand miles trouble free how ever the problem with doing them on boat trailer is there hot from towing and get stuck in cold water , that's a heck of a temperature difference for the seals to try and work in on a trailer that goes in water I would only use grease.

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
Mine leaked and I fixed them 3 seasons ago and have had zero leaks. Pull the wheels and on top of the hub/axle there is an allen screw. Take that out and fill top it off with new fluid then put blue loc-tite on the threads of the allen screw and tighten it down.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
Mine leaked and I fixed them 3 seasons ago and have had zero leaks. Pull the wheels and on top of the hub/axle there is an allen screw. Take that out and fill top it off with new fluid then put blue loc-tite on the threads of the allen screw and tighten it down.

X2 I did the exact same thing on my extreme trailer and no leaks at all! Also torque it a little more than what the manufacturer says.

headshothills

Reaction score
I was talking with my buddy who owns a 24hr HD Mobile Maintenance Service, and he says he loves those Oil Bath... Says he makes more money fixing those things due to failure than anything else.... I considered switching from grease, but after all the stories, just cant bring myself to do it....

2Driver

Reaction score
Mine are 10 years old and all I've done is a sight inspection for oil.

Granted it doesn't get towed far, but I'm thinking about leaving it be as I had planned on changing the oil.

Ultracrazy

Reaction score

Do you remember what type of "fluid" you used to fill them back up?

TexasJet

Reaction score
I use 90wt Royal Purple oil. On the three that don't leak I change the oil every year. On the one where the inner seal leaks slighly only when going on a trip, I top it off every 200 miles or so.

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
Do you remember what type of "fluid" you used to fill them back up?

I just used a Synthetic 90wt gear oil. I do know that Lucas has a Hub Oil that also is supposed to help prevent leaking. One more thing to mention. When I did this I also turned the hub so the old oil drained out and then filled with the fresh oil.

2Driver

Reaction score
My manual calls for 50. I thought. Have to check this weekend

Ultracrazy

Reaction score
So I'm assuming one bottle of Lucas would be enough to service a double axel extreme trailer?

Briley

Reaction score
Thanks to all. I'm going to hit up Adrenaline tomorrow to service again, I truly do feel I should get more then two months out of a full service of all three axles. When I took back the first time they recommend to put bearing buddies on, but I felt they were just trying sale me more...now I'm not so sure.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
I have an '06 Extreme here in So Cal....

One Powell trip, 3-4 Shasta trips and 40-50 trips to Havasu.....no problems yet....knock on wood :thumbsup

I was gonna service them last winter, have new seals in the toolbox.... Maybe next winter....:skull

Patyacht

Reaction score
Trailer manual says 50wt and I used the LOCTITE THREADLOCKER BLUE 242 on the fill screws and that did the trick for me.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
just get a small squeezable plastic bottle with a small spout , fill with 50wt oil and turn hub with fill plug at top and fill
right to bottom of fill plug , add thread seal tape to plug and install snugly . Sometimes it helps to tap on side of hub while
filling to release any trapped air .My oil bath hubs are going on 10 years with zero issues , even the brakes are holding up ,and
I to tow back and forth to Havasu from CA .

2Driver

Reaction score
Got the manual out. Looks like a few places to mess this up if not careful

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406333481.110964.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406333562.088353.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406333571.600636.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406333582.078208.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406333600.929892.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406333614.659215.jpg

Briley

Reaction score
Thanks for posting manual, I bought my boat used and did not receive manual.

Malibuvride07

Reaction score
Had problems two years in on my extreme trailer. Tried every seal and thread lock on the screws just to have one leak again 2 months later. Took me one afternoon and a six pack to convert to grease. Never looking back.

PDQH2O

Reaction score
How much does each "bath" hold?
X2 on UFP's VAULT system. Had UFP oil bath hubs on my 2006 tandem Extreme. Noticed the rear inner seals leaking just prior to a trip. Pacific Trailers hooked me up with bearings, seals and VAULT caps and grease. VAULT system uses a hybrid grease that goes in as bearing grease then thins out to an oil viscosity as the bearings heat up. As the bearings cool down the "oil" thickens up again. It is supposed to provide better protection while the bearings are cool.

I'm impressed with the VAULT system and can't wait to change out the front axle when I get home. Install was easy. UFP says there is no need to pack the bearings, but I did anyway. Only words of caution are to make sure if you decide to change from oil bath to hybrid oil system:
1. Make sure you get the right bearing sizes for your hubs. UFP has two sizes. Check the outer edge of the bearing AND the race to buy the correct size.
2. Follow directions from manufacturer and don't overfill the hubs with hybrid oil.

Briley

Reaction score
Enough with the leaks, Adrenaline Trailers who serviced all three axles converted all three to bearing buddies today. Frank provided excellent customer relations and was very fair on price because they had serviced in May. While I like the concept of oil instead of grease, I just do not want to continue worrying about when the next leak will come. Now I can just service annually. Thanks for all the input.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
Glad it all worked out....

Don't feel bad, I bought my boat new and didn't get a manual....Thanks Shockwave....:grumble:

Hallett285

Reaction score
Well now it's my turn, hub decided it wanted to get rid of the oil...

I had one leak out the oil and I am going to take it apart this weekend.

Does anyone know if there is a place in Bullhead or Laughlin that I'll be able to get the new seals?

Thanks, Steve

CobraDave

Reaction score
Question. Don't know much about Vault hubs but it seems to suffer from the same problem. Oil at high temps held in by a seal. If the seal goes so does the special grease. Is it that much better than bearing buddies? Also wondering what they cost. I'm contemplating switching my oil baths out.

Patyacht

Reaction score
Brikey, when the oil bath hubs first came out they were all the rage.. Everybody got them or upgraded to them etc.. I had them in one of my trailers as well.

Every single person I know that had them switched to grease hubs.. Lol. They all leak. Doesn't matter how many times you fix them.. It seems like you finally get them to seal and then a couple weeks later there it is again..

RD

Really. You know me and mine don't leak. LOL :) I've had 1 leak in 9 years and for less then $20 bucks and 30 minutes of time they are fixed. You can fix yours also. Adrenaline carries the parts.