WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Oil Filter and Water

XX14

Reaction score
I think I know your answer but thought I'd post this and take the fire...

Let's say you're in the process of changing the oil on your 496HO and you're just about ready to spin on the new filter but for just a fraction of a second you set it down on the swim step forgetting it has a rounded shell. Two tenths of a second later you realize it's headed for the ground. I reach for it, think I've got it but no it slips out of my grasp, it's closer to the ground now so it'll be ok... Crap! it's in the water tank surrounding my drive. It's out of there in five tenths of a second.

I shook it out quickly and drops of water came out... not much. Now I'm not sure what to do. I'm hoping some oil will displace the water, not positive but in the minute that this occurs in it seems like an ok idea so I fill it with synthetic oil let it set for a couple of minutes and dump. Some water comes on in tiny little bubbles like 1-2 mm.

It's a specialty filter that I had to order, that being said it only cost $11 but it took a day to get it and we're headed out on vacation tomorrow morning.

I DON'T need recommendations on where or how to buy a new filter. Just wondering if you'd use this one at this point? Thanks

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Run it. You get more water in your motor from condensation than that. It will vaporize it self out. If your really paranoid put some diesel in it and drain.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
What kind of filter do you need to order that isn't available locally?

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Use the oven. Preheat to about 300/325 turn off the oven, throw in the filter and let it stay in the for about .5/.75 hrs. My only concern would be the paper media inside the filter could have been soaked with water which will not allow much oil to be filtered until it is up to temp. Your motor most likely has a bypass as does the filter. If it were me I would bake then run it.

AZKC

I know right...
Reaction score
Use the oven. Preheat to about 300/325 turn off the oven, throw in the filter and let it stay in the for about .5/.75 hrs. My only concern would be the paper media inside the filter could have been soaked with water which will not allow much oil to be filtered until it is up to temp. Your motor most likely has a bypass as does the filter. If it were me I would bake then run it.

I don't know about this, I guess if you take the rubber gasket off, but sometimes they are made not to come off.

Maybe fill it with oil then pour it out, then install and go on vacation. :thumbsup

XX14

Reaction score
$11 is just not worth $5,000. I am curious in y'all's thoughts though. Thanks.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
$11 is just not worth $5,000. I am curious in y'all's thoughts though. Thanks.

I agree. Shouldn't be hard to find a filter for that. I wouldn't risk it.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Yeah. Trust me. Just go to orielly get a k&n filter go boating. When you get back order a new filter.

I'm still fucking with mine trying to find out why oil pressure is so low.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2