WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Oil & Grease Axles?

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
I have Lippert 8k oil bath axles on my toy hauler. Can I pack the bearings with grease and run oil, so this doesn’t happen again?

Guessing I developed a small leak and poof. Lost a tire coming back from Pirates on Sunday. I was just outside of Barstow and limped into So Cal RV Center. That shop was a great help and got me back on the road Monday.

So can I pack the bearings with grease and run oil? Just make the switch to grease? be more anal about checking for leaks?

And FWIW I don’t have the money to convert to Dexter.

C4A9F6F8-46E3-4710-9AD7-6BA0A42D8B6F.jpeg

petie6464

Reaction score
Yes you can go to grease. Some swear by it I have (Not exaggerating) hundreds of thousands of miles towing with grease and oil.

With grease a high pressure red grease is all thats needed. With oil Lucas Hub oil is all I use.

Currently using Dexter 12k axkes with hub oil. I did upgrade the cheap plastic caps that come from Dexter to the cast aluminum ones, that IMO is a must.

I like oil as changing it is a heck of a lot less work than re-packing grease bearings, also oil seems to run cooler.

I would not run both, don't know why you would.

Mcchevy69ss

Reaction score
I would recommend grease with bearing buddies. This is the downside of oil hubs.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
The answer to your question is no. You can’t pack your bearings with grease and run oil. It’s better to convert over to grease with bearing buddies. Oil is fine if your using the trailer on a regular basis if not they tend to leak as to wear grease will not. Hope this helps.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score

I did the complete change over to Lucas red and tacky grease
after having lost a spindle
while changing out and draining oil from "oil bath" hubs
4 of them mind you
barley filled a red cup half way
and the drain plugs were rusted solid in the hub so no chance of service without knocking off the cap
complete BS

Runs2rch

Reaction score

I did the complete change over to Lucas red and tacky grease
after having lost a spindle
while changing out and draining oil from "oil bath" hubs
4 of them mind you
barley filled a red cup half way
and the drain plugs were rusted solid in the hub so no chance of service without knocking off the cap
complete BS
They still need to be serviced. They are not lubricated for life. Change the oil every season in them sometimes twice depending on miles. Had one seal leak in 16 years with that trailer. Easy to change.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I like grease. Car haulers and tractor trailers have been using it for years with millions of miles. I usually always stop about 30 miles into a trip and touch the bearing buddy to check for heat. If its hot to the touch, you have a problem. If its just warm, your fine.