WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

OJ Bronco purchase and CA/AZ emissions questions...

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
My apologies if this has (im sure) been discussed before, but search didn't help much for me.

Ill make it quick. Im in the middle of purchasing a very stoutly built '90 full-size Bronco for an insane deal. full cab/engine cage, Kings all around, coilover fronts and pretty much beefed up everything. Bronco currently resides in SLC, UT and I live in SoCal. It has been registered in Mohave CO (Havasu address) for the last almost 10 years. The kick is that it has ZERO smog equipment and I really don't want to deal with getting it 'smogged' on the sly, or spending the thousands on all of the smog equipment to get it back to commiefornia standards.

My in-laws are retiring to Prescott next month so I will have an address to transfer it to in a county that doesn't require emissions tests which is great, but I am not an AZ resident. Is it still possible for me to transfer the title into my name and have it registered over there at the same time? I know the issues of attracting the wrong attention from CHP out here but it won't be used for commuting, just the occasional desert camping trip. Just trying to cover the bases. Any help is much appreciated!

EBT531

Reaction score
I believe you will need an AZ ID issued to that address. Some states don't allow you to possess a DL in one state and an ID in another so check on that one. The bigger problem is when you are stopped with AZ plate and AZ insurance but a CA license. Some cops wont like that.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I think you will be OK registering the car in AZ. I am doing the exact same thing with my track car. Yes you might annoy the cop if pulled over, but as long as you have a good backstory.. you are not breaking any laws.

"This truck lives in AZ officer, Clearly this off road truck is not a daily driver, I have it in CA for some repairs and am bringing it home this weekend." "I would be braking AZ law leaving it in AZ and not registering it there."

Just don't leave it parked on the street, or where someone can see the AZ plate and rat you out... because that is a thing.

You can get an AZ ID at your in laws address if you need to. I am not 100% sure if you need to though, but it would be a good hoop to jump through anyway. You need 2 documents that have your name, and the AZ address on them. I brought those with me, and was never asked for them though lol.

I have and AZ ID already, and registering my car in AZ was a breeze. You have 30 days to get AZ road insurance, or your reg is invalidated. I had my AZ insurance before I went in to MVD to be safe, they did not ask for proof of insurance, and that is how I found out about the 30 day grace period.

Last edited:

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
"I would be braking AZ law leaving it in AZ and not registering it there."

Best line ever lol. Thanks to both for the replies. Yeah I actually called the MVD info line this morning and they said it is totally fine if I am a licensed driver/resident in CA only. She said there are lots of those already of course. The other question I have is since we have Mercury insurance already, can I just call in and set the Bronco up for AZ registration over the phone?

Thanks again for the help!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Best line ever lol. Thanks to both for the replies. Yeah I actually called the MVD info line this morning and they said it is totally fine if I am a licensed driver/resident in CA only. She said there are lots of those already of course. The other question I have is since we have Mercury insurance already, can I just call in and set the Bronco up for AZ registration over the phone?

Thanks again for the help!

That is a specific question to Mercury, if you call them they will be able to point you in the right direction. AZ is a little weird.. the CA based insurance I had for my car was not valid for the registration. So I did call and get the AZ insurance set up over the phone. It was very easy.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
We live in Hawaii have one vehicle in AZ at MIL. Just transferred ownership and registration in June. Just need a address. You will have to make an appointment their system does not work for out of state DL. While you are at the MVD you should get an AZ ID. This will get your in the system and able to do things on line. Be sure to have your DL, SS card and passport or birth cert. If not you will have to go another time. That happened to me even though my Hawaii DL was the real one with gold star. Registration was $200 for 5 years as well. Much better than when our son had the Jeep in SoCal a year ago.

Oh, also when you call into the system do it at 8am to get Faster. Also make your appointment at the beginning of the day. Afternoon they can be running later up to 2 hours.

here is the contact #

FCFDED9C-460F-4E2A-91F5-901BF1D7B453.jpeg

Last edited:

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
We live in Hawaii have one vehicle in AZ at MIL. Just transferred ownership and registration in June. Just need a address. You will have to make an appointment their system does not work for out of state DL. While you are at the MVD you should get an AZ ID. This will get your in the system and able to do things on line. Be sure to have your DL, SS card and passport or birth cert. If not you will have to go another time. That happened to me even though my Hawaii DL was the real one with gold star. Registration was $200 for 5 years as well. Much better than when our son had the Jeep in SoCal a year ago.

Oh, also when you call into the system do it at 8am to get Faster. Also make your appointment at the beginning of the day. Afternoon they can be running later up to 2 hours.

here is the contact #
Awesome, thank you for the good info! I will make sure I call as soon as they open. So you're saying that I need 3 forms of ID to apply for an AZ ID?

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you for the good info! I will make sure I call as soon as they open. So you're saying that I need 3 forms of ID to apply for an AZ ID?

No worries o n the help. We have had to navigate the process a few times and I know how frustrating it can be. It is not bad once you know the drill So to speak. LOL

I went in with 3, HI DL, passport and SS card. I’d guess that if you didn’t have any DL but your passport and SS card you could do it. That is the purpose of the AZ travel ID. It is a form of ID to use with travel for those without a DL

And one last thing don’t forget to bring a change of mindset when working with people through the process. EVERYONE is so nice and there to help you. It usually takes one day for me to get in the mindset

Last edited:

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
No worries o n the help. We have had to navigate the process a few times and I know how frustrating it can be. It is not bad once you know the drill So to speak. LOL

I went in with 3, HI DL, passport and SS card. I’d guess that if you didn’t have any DL but your passport and SS card you could do it. That is the purpose of the AZ travel ID. It is a form of ID to use with travel for those without a DL

And one last thing don’t forget to bring a change of mindset when working with people through the process. EVERYONE is so nice and there to help you. It usually takes one day for me to get in the mindset

Ok, gotcha. All of this helps so much. I have the opposite: A CADL and SS card. No passport yet. Its hard to believe a DMV in another state is any different. Awesome tho. Thanks again for the help.

Heres a couple pics of what I bought...sight-unseen mind you! Never thought id do such a thing but mutual friends have vouched for this thing. im stoked.

Attachments

• bovuqbmwwu1qamugbf9dc18jdw9iyn.jpg
    bovuqbmwwu1qamugbf9dc18jdw9iyn.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 131
  • k644s4qb008hw46otwcnfj886f0ixt.jpg
    k644s4qb008hw46otwcnfj886f0ixt.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 125
  • q9721v3kpnx1qew07nkshodsvxkk2c.jpg
    q9721v3kpnx1qew07nkshodsvxkk2c.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 125

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Ok, gotcha. All of this helps so much. I have the opposite: A CADL and SS card. No passport yet. Its hard to believe a DMV in another state is any different. Awesome tho. Thanks again for the help.

Heres a couple pics of what I bought...sight-unseen mind you! Never thought id do such a thing but mutual friends have vouched for this thing. im stoked.

You can use a birth certificate if you don’t have a passport. The other issue with a BC is that if you are on the older side like I am our BC were issued by the hospital And not the government. So they want a updated BC from the health department of the state that you were born.

That is a great looking vehicle. Looks like you will be having some fun off-road with it. Best of luck to you in the process.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
You can use a birth certificate if you don’t have a passport. The other issue with a BC is that if you are on the older side like I am our BC were issued by the hospital And not the government. So they want a updated BC from the health department of the state that you were born.

That is a great looking vehicle. Looks like you will be having some fun off-road with it. Best of luck to you in the process.
Out of Parker or Havasu, which MVD office do you like? Starting to plan a day trip out that way when I make an appointment...

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Out of Parker or Havasu, which MVD office do you like? Starting to plan a day trip out that way when I make an appointment...
Havasu is a real building with nice road up to it and the town around it. Parker got me in sooner but it is a trailer and the road up to it was like in Mexico. LOL. All of the employees and services were the same.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Havasu is a real building with nice road up to it and the town around it. Parker got me in sooner but it is a trailer and the road up to it was like in Mexico. LOL. All of the employees and services were the same.
Awesome, thanks!

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Bombed out to Havasu early yesterday morning for my appointment at the mvd. The people were super nice and helpful. Told them I drove out just for this appointment and she asked me why I haven't moved here yet lol. Got myself an ID and it was only $107 for 5-year reg for the Bronco. Insanely cheap! Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it 👊

240Hallett

Reaction score
Bombed out to Havasu early yesterday morning for my appointment at the mvd. The people were super nice and helpful. Told them I drove out just for this appointment and she asked me why I haven't moved here yet lol. Got myself an ID and it was only $107 for 5-year reg for the Bronco. Insanely cheap! Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it 👊
What info did they require for the ID?

240Hallett

Reaction score
yes I had to provide an address but already had one for vehicle registration. So for example, my in-laws address is the one on my AZ ID.
Thanks for the info. That five-year plan for the registration it’s good stuff.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That five-year plan for the registration it’s good stuff.
No prob. Yeah I was stoked to get the 5 year. That is less than half of what it costs per year for my '05 Ram.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
In the last 6 years I've had everything registered in AZ or MT.. Lived in several states for work. AZ does not require much more than an address as well as a pulse. I wouldnt think twice about it.

You can sign a POA to your in laws with limited purposes and they can use that while registering it for you...that way you dont have to "prove" the address.