WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

OJ's not on the run anymore....(just another Bronco thread)

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Wife and I just bought this thing less than two months ago as an investment, weekend toy, and possible camping rig. I was giving it its usual weekend neighborhood cruise and was t-boned by a red light runner at over 40mph. Thankfully I was by myself and it's fully caged so the body damage is minimal. Passenger beam and radius arm folded. The cage bar down below passenger seat took the impact and didn't even bend lol. I'm a lucky guy. Now, on to convince the insurance companies that this thing is worth 13k! FML....

Before collision...
438B2BB6-981E-47D8-A2B8-30E09121C63A.jpg

After collision...
fullsizeoutput_dc4.jpeg
Tryt6mJ0SyaR4W1HlxRgDg.jpg

X5%ue1zBQ0ilIbDqpc47Zg.jpg

To my naked eye, frame doesn't look bent at all, prob due to the full cage but ill find out once it gets to a shop. I'm pretty banged up. Cuts and bruises and a pretty decent concussion in addition to a messed up neck that is getting worse by the day. Speaking with a local recommended attorney. Haven't sought representation before so we'll see what happens. Cant have anything nice these days. Anyone have any advice? -Reid

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Sweet rig and I’m a blazer fan
The value of them is thru the roof
Should have no problem appraising for $13 k
The frames are not really that strong so it’s probably bent but nothing that can’t be fixed
Your not going to able to build one for $13k
I would get what you can from insurance
Box the frame when it’s fixed
Go have fun

also I agree that cage did it’s job big time
Worth every penny

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Cool rig. Glad you weren’t injured any worse than ya were. Hopefully you will be able to get her back together without too much hassle.

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
When you insured it you didn’t do an agreed value?
If not that means the insurance company insured a stock bronco. That’s what you paid for and that’s what value they will give you.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Make sure to get care for your back and neck.. Don't wait.

I carry high policy limits from my days as a Coach, and hauling kids to events.

My accidents were ugly. Lawsuits are a bitch. Discovery sucks. The guilty party had crap coverage. I ended up going after the 100k limit on MY Policy. My medical insurance piggybacked onto my claim, and took back all the medical they had paid out.

So get a good attorney, and be careful. I carry agreed value coverage on everything except my newer truck.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
If they total it out for $13k you could buy it back and have it repaired. As others have said. Declared value is the only way to insure these things is for declared value. Might even be able to get a few upgrades in there.

Both my explorer and moms bronco we went through issues getting them insured that way but at the end of the day we wanted to be sure we were covered. As we are far more into them than their stock vehicle coverage

892DE269-845B-43D4-BC74-AFCE899E591F.jpeg
19FC6318-3EDF-4997-92E3-825EEE7FD8F8.jpeg

WildWilly

Reaction score
If they total it out for $13k you could buy it back and have it repaired. As others have said. Declared value is the only way to insure these things is for declared value. Might even be able to get a few upgrades in there.

Both my explorer and moms bronco we went through issues getting them insured that way but at the end of the day we wanted to be sure we were covered. As we are far more into them than their stock vehicle coverage

View attachment 936955 View attachment 936956

I'm actually dealing with this now, where did you get them insured? so far all I have found is the ability to add $6k in add'l coverage with receipts but I'm well over that.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Make sure to take care of your body before the bronco body.
I used to be the guy that always left on the green light, now I'm the guy that looks both ways before taking off.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
When you insured it you didn’t do an agreed value?
If not that means the insurance company insured a stock bronco. That’s what you paid for and that’s what value they will give you.
yeah, no agreed value. my mess up, I didn't know what I had to do.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
An absolute lesson learned. whenever all of this is over, I am going to change up the coverage on it. I did not get a declared-value policy on the Bronco and am speaking with a local recommended attorney right now so im hoping for the best.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
An absolute lesson learned. whenever all of this is over, I am going to change up the coverage on it. I did not get a declared-value policy on the Bronco and am speaking with a local recommended attorney right now so im hoping for the best.

I'm not even sure who would do a stated value policy on a non classic used off-road.

Hopefully RB can give you guys some ideas. I imagine its quite a bit more premium than adding it for $500 a year to a standard policy.

Nice toy...sorry to hear about the accident that blows.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I'm actually dealing with this now, where did you get them insured? so far all I have found is the ability to add $6k in add'l coverage with receipts but I'm well over that.

Devin at Wozencraft is our insurance agent and has gotten us stated value on everything we needed it on. Boats, exoticcars off-road vehicles motorcycles etc.

sirbob

Reaction score

For what its worth - when I was rear ended years ago I talked to an Atty and he referred me to a doc. I had whiplash pretty bad and went to PT a number of times a week for a few weeks. When I said I was feeling better and didn't need to go anymore he reminded me that ins. companies will usually pay 3 times medical expenses as compensation for pain and suffering rather than go to trial...

Its possible your injuries (which do come on in back and neck related accidents days /weeks later) may produce needed care that will bolster any pay out from the other ins company - that may off set any loss you have from the collision coverage.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
For what its worth - when I was rear ended years ago I talked to an Atty and he referred me to a doc. I had whiplash pretty bad and went to PT a number of times a week for a few weeks. When I said I was feeling better and didn't need to go anymore he reminded me that ins. companies will usually pay 3 times medical expenses as compensation for pain and suffering rather than go to trial...

Its possible your injuries (which do come on in back and neck related accidents days /weeks later) may produce needed care that will bolster any pay out from the other ins company - that may off set any loss you have from the collision coverage.
Good point. My doc did refer me to PT for my neck and shoulder which have started to bother me increasingly and I fully intend to go.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Welp, she's a runner again. Somehow, insurance valued this thing at $14k which made it repairable without salvage titling. Got a check for $7700 a month ago and pulled the trigger on a Desolate stage 2 front end kit and I will say that its beefy! Installed it myself cuz I couldn't afford the $3k of labor for them doing it. Learned a lot of stuff and saved some cash. It is off to the body shop on Monday. Thank you to everyone for the advice and I am going to shop for a better insurance situation for this thing going forth.

One issue I have been dealing with on this thing. It has a rough-ish idle and sometimes does not want to stay running siting in drive. I plan on replacing the idle air valve and the throttle position sensor soon but I wonder if there is a vacuum leak. I do not know much at all about these motors. Anyone have any tips? It has a clean fuel system, ignition and intake system. It possibly could have some rough injectors.

IMG_1155.jpg

tEbZqwZuRAiQqlluVC+i9w.jpg

gW8yzToOQ4W0qGp5MpCkeA.jpg

Wedgy

Reaction score
Not an Atty, but Dude. CYA. OTHER ins company. Or your own, in certain cases,
"How bad could you possibly be hurt, and still Install that complete HD off road front end underneath that Bronco...."
Liberty Mutual is notorious for following and filming claimants. FYI.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Welp, she's a runner again. Somehow, insurance valued this thing at $14k which made it repairable without salvage titling. Got a check for $7700 a month ago and pulled the trigger on a Desolate stage 2 front end kit and I will say that its beefy! Installed it myself cuz I couldn't afford the $3k of labor for them doing it. Learned a lot of stuff and saved some cash. It is off to the body shop on Monday. Thank you to everyone for the advice and I am going to shop for a better insurance situation for this thing going forth.

One issue I have been dealing with on this thing. It has a rough-ish idle and sometimes does not want to stay running siting in drive. I plan on replacing the idle air valve and the throttle position sensor soon but I wonder if there is a vacuum leak. I do not know much at all about these motors. Anyone have any tips? It has a clean fuel system, ignition and intake system. It possibly could have some rough injectors.

View attachment 981659
View attachment 981661
View attachment 981662

Have you cleaned the throttle body lately? Is the check engine light on? What are the codes?

Congrats on getting it fixed!!

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Quick update...

Got it back today after a month and a half at the body shop. The guys at Caruso Ford collision center in LB did an amazing job of the reconstruction. They cut a whole bottom sil/jamb out of the F150 cab I supplied. Painted the whole thing too. I couldn't be happier. Now I just gotta find a local shop that knows beams for a good alignment. It isn't far off, just needs a slight camber adjust on passenger side and some toe/steering adjustment.
zFHzGPUMRx2tB8bOM+z+lA.jpg

rivergames

Reaction score
She's like a whole new ride again! Congrats!

The new leafs of my my new ORD suspension showed up yesterday. The rest shows up today. I am going to start this K5 Blazer build soon 👍
181595400_2204210173048325_5127275553754085519_n.jpg

Husqy510

Reaction score
Beautiful rig. What year is it?

Could very well have a vacuum leak as the lines get brittle with age. The best way to find a vacuum leak is to use a smoke machine and connect it to the vacuum tree on the firewall. I built my own that I've used with great success on my foxbody Mustangs. You can also pull the codes, but will probably need an OBD I scanner, depending on the year.

You can also clean the throttle body, set the TPS and test the IAC

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
She's like a whole new ride again! Congrats!

The new leafs of my my new ORD suspension showed up yesterday. The rest shows up today. I am going to start this K5 Blazer build soon 👍 View attachment 998898
Those look awesome! Im interested to see how you like the Atlas springs. Mine has Deaver J40's on it right now.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Beautiful rig. What year is it?

Could very well have a vacuum leak as the lines get brittle with age. The best way to find a vacuum leak is to use a smoke machine and connect it to the vacuum tree on the firewall. I built my own that I've used with great success on my foxbody Mustangs. You can also pull the codes, but will probably need an OBD I scanner, depending on the year.

You can also clean the throttle body, set the TPS and test the IAC
Yeah, im almost certain I have a vacuum leak somewhere. They are all over this thing! Its a '90. All smog equipment has been removed, and also has long tube headers on it, etc. The engine light has been on for a long time, but I was assuming thats just cuz theres no smog stuff on it anymore. My engine has a vacuum tree on the intake manifold but I will look for another one. It has lines going everywhere. Enough to get me overwhelmed pretty quickly lol.

DLC

Reaction score
check the post dates
D224D248-6EC1-4837-9B59-12977A3AD395.jpeg

Not an Atty, but Dude. CYA. OTHER ins company. Or your own, in certain cases,
"How bad could you possibly be hurt, and still Install that complete HD off road front end underneath that Bronco...."
Liberty Mutual is notorious for following and filming claimants. FYI.

Husqy510

Reaction score
Yeah, im almost certain I have a vacuum leak somewhere. They are all over this thing! Its a '90. All smog equipment has been removed, and also has long tube headers on it, etc. The engine light has been on for a long time, but I was assuming thats just cuz theres no smog stuff on it anymore. My engine has a vacuum tree on the intake manifold but I will look for another one. It has lines going everywhere. Enough to get me overwhelmed pretty quickly lol.
The tree on the intake should work. The idea is to lightly pressurize the intake and vacuum lines with smoke. I'm in Newbury Park, if you're close I'd be happy to help.