WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ok Rhino Pros

Boatfloating

100% Pimp 50% Of The Time
Reaction score
Who has done a 686 kit? Who did it and how do you like it? How much did it cost? I'm in Temecula so a place close would be great.

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
I have to be honest and say I've heard mixed results....A lot of guys are having head gasket problems after the re-build to a 686. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the shop doing the work but if you go that route make sure to get the big radiator and oil cooler too.

I'll check with the ones that are happy and see who did the work.

Chris

Boatfloating

Reaction score
Ok here is the deal. The piston seized and it hurt crank too. I have extended warranty and they are trying to screw with me and say it ran out of oil. Funny thing is I just changed the oil and I checked it before I brought in and it was full. So I'm fighting with them right now. So if I have to rebuild the motor from the dealer is like $1500. I thought if I have to spend the money I might as well put money to something better.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Ok here is the deal. The piston seized and it hurt crank too. I have extended warranty and they are trying to screw with me and say it ran out of oil. Funny thing is I just changed the oil and I checked it before I brought in and it was full. So I'm fighting with them right now. So if I have to rebuild the motor from the dealer is like $1500. I thought if I have to spend the money I might as well put money to something better.

Well heres my opinion on it. I've read quite a bit on the 686 and I don't think its gonna be very reliable. If it was a race rhino on a closed course I say go for it. But seeing as this is your offroad toy I say don't do it. They have a reputation for getting hot and blowing head gaskets. A different radiator helps but doesn't solve the problem IMO. The ones that are living seem to be the ones built by pros and cost mega bucks. I think if I ever have to do mine I'll go with stock bore and maybe do a cam and some headwork.
________
W124

Last edited:

Boatfloating

Reaction score
Well heres my opinion on it. I've read quite a bit on the 686 and I don't think its gonna be very reliable. If it was a race rhino on a closed course I say go for it. But seeing as this is your offroad toy I say don't do it. They have a reputation for getting hot and blowing head gaskets. A different radiator helps but doesn't solve the problem IMO. The ones that are living seem to be the ones built by pros and cost mega bucks. I think if I ever have to do mine I'll go with stock bore and maybe do a cam and some headwork.

Good info I'm just don't like the price the dealer is charging for a rebuild.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Good info I'm just don't like the price the dealer is charging for a rebuild.

Ya I'm sure they aren't gonna be cheap. The thing is it probably would be much more money on top of the rebuild for the 686 but IMO they haven't gotten a good proven build yet. Well without spending a ton of dough.
________
Vermont marijuana dispensaries

Last edited:

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
I talked to the guys at Weller Racing in Chandler (no where near you) when I was having some exhaust issues. They said not to waste the money on a 686 kit as it doesn't address some of the weak points of the bottom end of the Rhino, being the crank, rod, and some kind of oiling issues. You're a baller, spend the money and go with the 720 kit. I hear it's pretty amazing. ;)

http://www.wellerracing.com/

Oh, and they did a great job of fixing my exhaust, for any of you AZ guys. :beer

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I talked to the guys at Weller Racing in Chandler (no where near you) when I was having some exhaust issues. They said not to waste the money on a 686 kit as it doesn't address some of the weak points of the bottom end of the Rhino, being the crank, rod, and some kind of oiling issues. You're a baller, spend the money and go with the 720 kit. I hear it's pretty amazing. ;)

http://www.wellerracing.com/

Oh, and they did a great job of fixing my exhaust, for any of you AZ guys. :beer

Ya its only $7,600. :eek::eek::smackhead
________
Toyota Kluger Specifications

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
The new "700" motors are 686. with fuel injection. couldnt you use the recipe from a stock "700" motor and build it that way?

Mine seems pretty reliable
________
Yamaha raptor 700r history

Last edited:

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Don't let the dealer do the work....bunch of kids. Let us find you a good local shop to dial you in.

Chris

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The new "700" motors are 686. with fuel injection. couldnt you use the recipe from a stock "700" motor and build it that way?

Mine seems pretty reliable

Good idea...

Be cool to find a take out 700cc and throw a better carb on it:)

Boatfloating

Reaction score
Nice diversion. :skull:skull

Nice...

Well the extended warranty company called me and said they won't cover it. They said my oil was very black and low when Temecula Motor Sports did service on 10/16/07. So my engine blows 50hrs and 4 months later. The appraiser that looked at it didn't even know that the Rhino had a wet clutch system. retard. Looks like Small Claims court against these jerk offs. I rather have someone rebuild than the guys at TMS as they haven't been more helpful at all and I've spent a grip of money with them. I need a local guy.

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
DASA down in Riverside. Dan Lamey down there has been doing R&D work for yamaha for the last 20yrs. He is by far the best around also helps he has a dyno for doing the tuning and set up.

Magic34

Reaction score
My 686 runs good with exception to it blowing a head gasket once. If you go 686, be sure to install a water temp gauge.

I am in my motor about $4000. If I can do it again, I would put in the V-twin rotax motor and the total bill would be close to $8k, but it would run forever without any extra mods.

Phebus

Past Poster.
Reaction score
Bummer Rocky, I read the letter they sent you.

Dear valued customer, unlike fishing motors that are smelly and disgusting, Yamaha motors require motor oil.

Also, even in the whoops, you will see your new Yamaha motor vehicle exhibits much less hop then some boats.

Your warranty will not cover your vehicle due to the time it has spent on it's roof and side. We also found evidence of a gold horn on a chain in the intake system.

If you feel you must sue us, please contact or attorney over at Lakeland Marine.

Sorry,
Yamaha Motors.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

Dear valued customer, unlike fishing motors that are smelly and disgusting, Yamaha motors require motor oil.

Also, even in the whoops, you will see your new Yamaha motor vehicle exhibits much less hop then some boats.

Your warranty will not cover your vehicle due to the time it has spent on it's roof and side. We also found evidence of a gold horn on a chain in the intake system.

If you feel you must sue us, please contact or attorney over at Lakeland Marine.

Sorry,
Yamaha Motors.

Ouch!!!!!!! Salt in the wound....... :eek::D:D
________
OAKVILLE ASSEMBLY

Last edited:

Boatfloating

Reaction score

Sorry,
Yamaha Motors.

Oh it's on next time I see you.......:skull

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
As long as the cylinder is not hurt I would go with a 10/1 stock bore piston after market rod with stroker crank and a good ported head with a stage II web cam A buddy of mine has that exact set up it runs awesome and without boring it or going high compression you should have little issue with cooling or longevity...

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Oh and if anyone is to do it I would trust NOONE but Weller as they are the ONLY ones that will truly back there work and products...

Boatfloating

Reaction score
As long as the cylinder is not hurt I would go with a 10/1 stock bore piston after market rod with stroker crank and a good ported head with a stage II web cam A buddy of mine has that exact set up it runs awesome and without boring it or going high compression you should have little issue with cooling or longevity...

Good info. There is a guy named John at Pro Shop in OC that seems to know his stuff.

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Good info. There is a guy named John at Pro Shop in OC that seems to know his stuff.

Brian at Long travel SXS just did my buddies motor and he's really happy. Good power and no issues so far. Kept the compression ratio close to stock and did the upgraded radiator and oil cooler and added a temp guage.

Chris

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Brian is a way stand up guy as well. I have done a few things with him always pulls through and everytime I have seen a guy with an issue with something he does he steps up and handles it for them...

Boatfloating

Reaction score
I've known Brian for about 18 years. I was one of his original Rhino cages and didn't know he started doing motors. I just want to get back to stock sell it and get a Jeep as I'm over this Rhino thing.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I've known Brian for about 18 years. I was one of his original Rhino cages and didn't know he started doing motors. I just want to get back to stock sell it and get a Jeep as I'm over this Rhino thing.

Puss. Keep in mind that when (not if) you roll that jeep it may not be as easy to tip back over onto its wheels. :thumbsup:D:D
________
VAPIR NO2

Last edited:

Magic34

Reaction score

Sorry,
Yamaha Motors.

LMAO. :D Nice Rick!

BOBALOO

Reaction score

Sorry,
Yamaha Motors.

This is the ABSOLUTE FUNNIEST thing I have read on here since the old cats and tunnels banter a few years ago.....Thanks Rick!:beer:D