WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

OK, School me on "Fish Tacos" please

Not So Fast

Reaction score
After watching The Sin City guys from Vegas on YouTube, who I watch for reports on the water levels there at Mead, they switched to fish tacos for a change. They made them look pretty tasty so I thought I would try it out. Hell living here in Havasu it seems a natural so I'll ask you guys whats up.
I used to fish a lot as a youngster but thats a long long time ago and I havent done it in many years. So what do I need to fish Lake Havasu waters, shore line type also since we sold our boats.
Equiment needed with out spending the bank please. Best and easiset rod and reel, lures, line and all that stuff for a beginner
Need a license I assume ?
Remember I might not like it at all so just the basics
I thank you for your advice
NSF

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Go to Walmart and get an ugly stick rod and reel. Go down by the dam and throw anchovies on a hook and a weight… do it early evening into the dark. Haul in strippers. Tell ever you hooked them on top water jigs out of the gnarly tackle busting stuff at the Bill Williams…

Spot

Reaction score
Az fishing license
Fish for striper - best for fish tacos (no largemouth or smallmouth please)
Spinning reel, 3000 series shimano or Daiwa
7 foot rod
8lb to 12lb monofilament or flourocarbon line
Hook tied directly to main line and maybe a split shot weight 18 inches above hook
Fish off of site 6 pier
Use frozen anchovies as bait, get a cheap ice chest and use dry ice to keep them frozen.

This is super basic but will get you started.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Not sure how hard they are to find / catch . . . but there are some really big Red Ear Sunfish in Havasu.
Some call them 'Shellcrackers' cause they eat clams & such.
I'm sure the Quagga Muscles are what's making them grow so big.
I'd go in town to a local tackle store and get dialed in on intel for fishing them. They are EXCELLENT eating.

Last edited:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Maybe it’s me, but I wouldn’t eat a single fish that came out of havasu. So much oil/gas/debris/ect that I’m sure they don’t taste good

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I bought some halibut on the pier up in Avila Beach…. Told the guy I was making fish tacos. He just about shit.

*I was up in Vancouver Canada and the restaurant I was in, said the ran out of the normal fish they use… would I mind if it was made with halibut….. OMG…. Uummm well okay. AMAZING.

And ladies and gentlemen - that’s why I use halibut.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Maybe it’s me, but I wouldn’t eat a single fish that came out of havasu. So much oil/gas/debris/ect that I’m sure they don’t taste good
They taste fine. I don't know if they're good for you, but they taste just dandy.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
After watching The Sin City guys from Vegas on YouTube, who I watch for reports on the water levels there at Mead, they switched to fish tacos for a change. They made them look pretty tasty so I thought I would try it out. Hell living here in Havasu it seems a natural so I'll ask you guys whats up.
I used to fish a lot as a youngster but thats a long long time ago and I havent done it in many years. So what do I need to fish Lake Havasu waters, shore line type also since we sold our boats.
Equiment needed with out spending the bank please. Best and easiset rod and reel, lures, line and all that stuff for a beginner
NSF
I watched that video and when they put tarter sauce on their fish tacos I quit watching.

River Runnin

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you would be, (are) wrong! :)

Honestly, you can’t make great fish tacos using freshwater fish…
But honestly! ... I can! :D -- Stripers are awesome! ... deep-fry using this --https://www.amazon.com/Louisiana-Fi...=1660537880&sprefix=Louisiana,aps,906&sr=8-14

I can cook a catfish belly and you'd swear it's lobster!

Fish Redear on the bottom with worms.

I've fished over 16 straight winters here, best stringer of 10 was over 100 pounds, and we've filled the freezer several times!

Stripers will hit just about anything. In winter, live bait, shad & bluegill, worms, topwater, jigs, and just about anything white.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
We used to do a ton of stripper fishing on Mead as a kid. Some biggins down there for sure !

Backlash

Reaction score
I've fished the Parker Strip for 20 plus years and have caught all species of bass. I'll take any of them (Smallmouth, largemouth or stripers), and cook them for fish tacos. We've had grilled fish, battered and deep fried fish using every kind of seasoning. They all taste good!

I wouldn't recommend freezing them though. I've never been a fan of frozen fish. Catch them, clean them and eat them.

I typically spool my reels with 12 pound test on the heavy end, but have used as light as 8 lb. test when they are lineshy. Never had a problem.

Get the least expensive rod/reel combo you think is suitable. I would take ALL of the crap line off the reel the moment you get home. At least spool the reel with fresh line that doesn't have any memory in it. It will cast a little bit easier for you and be less prone to tangling.

The bait mentioned works great, but I've had GREAT luck fishing with plastics. We use Yamamoto worms, crawdads, etc. I've had good luck with watermelon and dark colored plastics in Parker. I've also had good luck catching stripers on 4" plastic swim baits cast from the shore. Use a lighter color to mimic a shad.

These tactics work for me but may vary from the river to the lake.

And yes, get a license. The fines aren't worth it. 👍

Dirtbag

Reaction score
if you guys are eating fish out of the lake im really worried for ya....fish tacos like said before need to be mahi mahi....lightly breaded in a corn tortilla witha mango salsa is damn good....im also a big fan of a hot spicy salsa.... I cant imagine making a Lake Havasu Channel Bass fish taco.... honestly i wont eat seafood in havasu period lol....

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I bought some halibut on the pier up in Avila Beach…. Told the guy I was making fish tacos. He just about shit.

*I was up in Vancouver Canada and the restaurant I was in, said the ran out of the normal fish they use… would I mind if it was made with halibut….. OMG…. Uummm well okay. AMAZING.

And ladies and gentlemen - that’s why I use halibut.
Buddy just came back from Alaska and is SUPPOSED to be giving me some halibut.
Wife says “ fish tacos!” Uhm ya, NO.

schweeng

Reaction score
Come to my restaurant in Valencia- we are known for our Baja Fried Fish Tacos —
Fish Tail Seafood Grill & Poke
We also serve Grilled and Fried Shimp Tacos and Grilled Mahi Mahi, Halibut and Salmon tacos.....

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
#1 rule of fish tacos, they need to be MahiMahi

There are two types of fish tacos, those made with battered fish, then fried, and those made with grilled fish. I've made and enjoyed both kinds. For the battered, I've used both cod and halibut. Trader Joe's makes an excellent jalapeño dill tarter sauce; I wish I could figure out the recipe as I moved out of Trader Joe's territory. Add some guac, cabbage, cheese, salsa of choice, and squeeze some lime. As for the grilled, I've used tuna, halibut, mahi, thresher shark, and salmon. All good. The only way I've found any to not be delightfully tasty is when I accidentally overcook the meat. I don't usually use the tarter sauce for these, but a good chipotle cream sauce along with condiments usually does the trick. Some folks don't like the cheese, whatever. I'm a cheese junkie, so it goes on almost everything.

We didn't fish at Havasu last winter, but we plan to this coming visit.

Last edited:

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Mmmmm..Tacos

Attachments

• 20210102_181924.jpg
    20210102_181924.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

joecfd1

Reaction score
Honestly, you can’t make great fish tacos using freshwater fish…
A buddy of mine came to the lake last year and brought several different species of fish to try in his legendary fish tacos. I will say that the one that everone liked the best was Crappie which obvously is freshwater. We had Dorado (Mahi Mahi), White Sea Bass, Red Snapper, and Crappie. All were great but the Crappie was outstanding.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Some of the best fish tacos I have ever had were Striper. Caught from Copper basin. Friend works for the water dept and they allow them to fish it once a year.

Friends that fish parker never catch Striper.

We used to make bomb fish tacos at Naci from the white bass. But they were mercury infused and not supposed to eat to many.

Not So Fast

Reaction score
Wow, lots of info to digest for sure :)
In thinking about this situation how about I try some of the eateries in Havasu for a good fish taco before I spend money and time obtainng all the gear, makes sense right, that way If I dont like it I dont waste money !!
So part 2 of my post, "WHERE" would you suggest for an honestly good fish Taco or burrito here in Havasu ?? Or Parker, its a short drive. if there are any that is.
Thanks so nuch
NSF

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Havasu fish tacos - striped bass, grilled or battered and deep fried. Use good quality corn tortillas. The slaw can really make them great. Green & red cabbage, red and green onions, plenty of fresh garlic, cilantro, fresh squeezed lime juice and just enough cold slaw salad dressing to tie the ingredients together. A very good simple sauce is Hidden Valley with Tabasco to taste.

westair

Reaction score
Wow, lots of info to digest for sure :)
In thinking about this situation how about I try some of the eateries in Havasu for a good fish taco before I spend money and time obtainng all the gear, makes sense right, that way If I dont like it I dont waste money !!
So part 2 of my post, "WHERE" would you suggest for an honestly good fish Taco or burrito here in Havasu ?? Or Parker, its a short drive. if there are any that is.
Thanks so nuch
NSF
I've heard that Hanger 24 has some pretty good fish tacos

Backlash

Reaction score
Some of the best fish tacos I have ever had were Striper. Caught from Copper basin. Friend works for the water dept and they allow them to fish it once a year.

Friends that fish parker never catch Striper.

We used to make bomb fish tacos at Naci from the white bass. But they were mercury infused and not supposed to eat to many.

Parker striper. 😎

20200507_200620.jpg

Caught from the beach about 11pm on a 4" shad swimbait.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
NSF
My daughter and I just watched this episode last night. I make my fish tacos with breaded fried crappie but they over fished the crap out of them at my spot so I haven’t been this year. I would make my own sauce rather than the Tatar sauce honestly.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I amazed that someone has never had a fish taco before???

River Runnin

Reaction score
I didn't realize people actually ate fish caught from Havasu........🤢🤢
What Y'all gonna do when you find out that chickens really do eat a lot of chicken shit?? :D

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
We had halibut filets the other night from my Alaska fishing trip in June. They are so big, neither my wife or I could finish our filets. Sautéed the leftover halibut in a little butter the next night and we had halibut tacos...even made our own crispy corn shells. No way was I throwing out the leftovers.

0C7FD718-5833-483C-9A81-463E0115A11B.jpeg

Last edited:

retaocleg

Reaction score
We had halibut filets the other night from my Alaska fishing View attachment 1146350 trip in June. They are so big, neither my wife or I could finish our filets. Sautéed the leftover halibut in a little butter the next night and we had halibut tacos...even made our own crispy corn shells. No way was I throwing out the leftovers.
not to into fish, but those look amazing👀 i'd make an exception for those👍👍

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Come to my restaurant in Valencia- we are known for our Baja Fried Fish Tacos —
Fish Tail Seafood Grill & Poke
We also serve Grilled and Fried Shimp Tacos and Grilled Mahi Mahi, Halibut and Salmon tacos.....

Will definitely be stopping by.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I buy fresh or frozen cod , grill it with garlic salt and olive oil ,break it up with a fork load it into warm white corn tortillas ,a sprinkle if Costco Mexi cheese , lettuce shreds and top with Pico De Gallo (chopped tomatoes, chopped white onion chopped fresh Jalepenos and Cilantro) Then a healthy dose of Pico Pica ....Viola'

Rondog4405

Reaction score
NSF
Love watching those guys channel as well.. but , I wasn't feeling Jr's fish taco/burrito.. leave out the tarter and lettuce. Whip up a simple Pico and some crema with your favorite hot sauce and you're good to go. No largies or smallies please.😉

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I buy fresh or frozen cod , grill it with garlic salt and olive oil ,break it up with a fork load it into warm white corn tortillas ,a sprinkle if Costco Mexi cheese , lettuce shreds and top with Pico De Gallo (chopped tomatoes, chopped white onion chopped fresh Jalepenos and Cilantro) Then a healthy dose of Pico Pica ....Viola'
I get the frozen lightly breaded shrimp bags from traders. Some queso Fresco cheese. Cabbage a lime slice or two. Street taco size tortilla from Vallarta heat on the stove top . Pico. And a little salsa of your choice.
Air fry the shrimp add 3-4 on a tortilla top to taste. Chow down👍

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
Great combo. Some time try a tablespoon of mayo with fresh lime juice and put a dab on your tortilla before u build your taco. Try mahi mahi too.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
We always bought Orange roughy, diced it into small pieces, beer battered and deep fried it. Sour cream a little cheese and my homemade chipotle sauce…….. YEP!!! 😊

Singleton

Reaction score
This thread made me hungry. Adding fish tacos to the daddy / daughter Havasu meal listing for this weekend.

707dog

Reaction score
Not havasu or mead but here is something caught a couple weeks ago from the river near my house.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220725-094529_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220725-094529_Facebook.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 38

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
NSF in post #1 on this thread mentioned Sin City. It is actually Sin City Outdoors on YouTube. Good site and informative, particularly on Mead and it's water level. It's a LV Dad and his kids boating, fishing and hunting in our NV, AZ, CA and UT area.

jet496

Reaction score
Havasu fish tacos - striped bass, grilled or battered and deep fried. Use good quality corn tortillas. The slaw can really make them great. Green & red cabbage, red and green onions, plenty of fresh garlic, cilantro, fresh squeezed lime juice and just enough cold slaw salad dressing to tie the ingredients together. A very good simple sauce is Hidden Valley with Tabasco to taste.
The best fish tacos I've ever had were bass, deep fried in a Fry Daddy. Some type of Chipotle sauce is great. Yogurt is a great to make it out of. As healthy as grilled fish tacos are, I try to be a fan because I love fish, but IMO grilled fish is better served on a plate than a taco. Deep fried in hot grease so it doesn't absorb the grease is the best to me.

That being said, any fish deep fried in beer batter is good. Hell, I've made catfish tacos out of Lake Meade & tasted great. Can't go wrong with Dorado (Mahi Mahi) for sure, especially the fresh stuff being caught right now.

Last edited:

Not So Fast

Reaction score
Boy you guys are a wealth pot of info on "Fish Tacos", actually want to try some now, Ill RSVP when I do
Thanks
NSF