WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ok, You'll Not Believe This.....

outboardrick

Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of us are Eagles fans, and I got to see them on their last tour (History) before Glen died and had 4th row seats....Absolutely awesome and I never thought I could do that. Now they're coming to Phoenix with Vince Gill filling in ...One of the best vocalist and guitarist of our times. So me, Dipshit, got front row seats, yes Front FUCKING ROW! I am SO stoked!! I thought the last time was the Bucket List deal but this one is WAY over the top!!! Just had to brag a little.... :)

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Glen's son Deacon is in the band now too, looks like his old man

G9PAXU.jpg

outboardrick

Reaction score
Glen's son Deacon is in the band now too, looks like his old man

Yep... I'm SO looking forward to seeing them! Vince Gill is one of, if not the best, guitarists of our time.

G9PAXU.jpg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Their "Farewell 1" tour was what, about a decade ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Vince Gil and his son Deacon were at The Classic West show I went to. 3rd row dodger stadium
Plus - Fleetwood Mac, doobie brothers, steely Dan, journey, and earth wind fire

Probably one of The best 2day concerts I’ve been to.

A month or so after followed up with Tom Petty before he passed ( got those tickets from a member )

Can’t beat classic rock n roll, the tunes, the vibe, etc...

rrrr

Reaction score
A lot of you guys are young fucks and don't know the impact Hotel California had on the music world. Glenn Frey had meticulously dictated the insertion of every backing note, cross guitar harmony, and percussion signature during long days in the studios. Don Henley sang track after track to get the sound to Frey's liking..

But the amazing sound of the album was also a result of the mixing and production. It was a sound never heard before in rock music. I was blown away by it.

Cue up a recording of New Kid in Town and listen closely to the first twenty seconds. The combination of the Rhodes piano, two guitars, and crisp drumming begin a song that is a masterpiece, and an example of the almost perfect music present in the entire album.

Give it a listen.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
A lot of you guys are young fucks and don't know the impact Hotel California had on the music world. Glenn Frey had meticulously dictated the insertion of every backing note, cross guitar harmony, and percussion signature during long days in the studios. Don Henley sang track after track to get the sound to Frey's liking..

But the amazing sound of the album was also a result of the mixing and production. It was a sound never heard before in rock music. I was blown away by it.

Cue up a recording of New Kid in Town and listen closely to the first twenty seconds. The combination of the Rhodes piano, two guitars, and crisp drumming begin a song that is a masterpiece, and an example of the almost perfect music present in the entire album.

Give it a listen.

My wife, to this day, reminds me often about the one semester in a history class or what ever it was she had when it came out where the class was supposed to decifer the lyrics to Hotel California.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Give it a listen.

What, no mention that this was Walsh’s debut album with the eagles?

I saw the eagles twice. Bought Hotel CA the day it was released and wore it out twice over.
I also saw Walsh do about a 20 minute version of Rocky Mountain way at the U.S. Festival.
I know which one I’d pay to see again.

Not trying to knock them mind you, I’m a fan and have been to the Hotel CA in Toto Santos Baja and agree that Hotel CA was a significant album.
In fact, Frey could almost be compared to Scholz (Boston) with his control of the band at that point.

There is no doubt the arrangements and production is near flawless, and I do respect your opinion. But it might be an overstatement that “it was a sound never heard before in rock music”.

But I like the enthusiasm and enjoy the show!!

pronstar

Reaction score
My wife, to this day, reminds me often about the one semester in a history class or what ever it was she had when it came out where the class was supposed to decifer the lyrics to Hotel California.

I went to Lutheran schools.
The song was evil and I was going to hell for liking it.

Don't get me started on AC/DC, Black Sabbath or KISS...

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
C2831974-9DD0-4795-B741-2DFEA8430292.jpeg

I saw the eagles twice. Bought Hotel CA the day it was released and wore it out twice over.
I also saw Walsh do about a 20 minute version of Rocky Mountain way at the U.S. Festival.

Not trying to knock them mind you, I’m a fan and have been to the Hotel CA in Toto Santos Baja and agree that Hotel CA was a significant album.
In fact, Frey could almost be compared to Scholz (Boston) with his control of the band at that point.

There is no doubt the arrangements and production is near flawless, and I do respect your opinion. But it might be an overstatement that “it was a sound never heard before in rock music”.

Love your rants. :)

pronstar

Reaction score

I would say Boston was perhaps the most overproduced band of the era, the knock was they sounded a lot different live.

(A bit before my time, never got to actually see them).

outboardrick

Reaction score

Give it a listen.
Glenn was a fierce school maarm, and that's possibly why the music was so good. I had the privilege of seeing the last tour with Glenn, and it was EPIC. The music/sound was just incredible. I am SO looking forward to this new deal, with Vince, that I can't describe. Especially with having FRONT FUCKIN ROW SEATS!

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I would say Boston was perhaps the most overproduced band of the era, the knock was they sounded a lot different live.

(A bit before my time, never got to actually see them).

I have never seen Boston live either but their first two albums were a staple in my room when I was in jr high.

rrrr

Reaction score

I meant "the sound" in the way the album was produced and mastered, not the music itself.

It was unique, and there were many in the music industry that said it before me.

As a Joe Walsh fan, his presence in the band was an enjoyable immediate and forceful addition, much like when Sammy Hagar joined Van Halen.

Walsh's solo in the song Hotel California was easily recognizable as his unique sound, and I thought he added a needed dimension to the band. Rocky Mountain Way is a rock anthem that stands as an all time classic.

I first saw the embryo of the Eagles around 1970 when they toured as Linda Ronstadt's backing band, and they have been a favorite for 40+ years.

Another bit of Eagles trivia...in The Last Resort, they sing about a neon sign in Lahaina that says "Jesus is Coming".

I moved to Oahu for a year in 1976, and during that time flew to Maui with a friend for a biology field exploration trip. :D

While driving through Lahaina, imagine my surprise to see a small church constructed of lava with a large neon sign facing the street traffic that said "Jesus is Coming".

I've always thought that was kinda neat. :D

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
29EE67ED-2C76-476A-B129-EEFAADAB5020.jpeg
I meant "the sound" in the way the album was produced and mastered, not the music itself.

It was unique, and there were many in the music industry that said it before me.

As a Joe Walsh fan, his presence in the band was an enjoyable immediate and forceful addition, much like when Sammy Hagar joined Van Halen.

Walsh's solo in the song Hotel California was easily recognizable as his unique sound, and I thought he added a needed dimension to the band. Rocky Mountain Way is a rock anthem that stands as an all time classic.

I first saw the embryo of the Eagles around 1970 when they toured as Linda Ronstadt's backing band, and they have been a favorite for 40+ years.

Another bit of Eagles trivia...in The Last Resort, they sing about a neon sign in Lahaina that says "Jesus is Coming".

I moved to Oahu for a year in 1976, and during that time flew to Maui with a friend for a biology field exploration trip. :D

While driving through Lahaina, imagine my surprise to see a small church constructed of lava with a large neon sign facing the street traffic that said "Jesus is Coming".

This one?

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Ill just drop this right here, 60- 70s was great, but 80's rock drove it home.

rrrr

Reaction score

No, it was bright real neon, smaller, hung on the front of the building vertically. It may have said "Jesus Coming Soon" instead of "Jesus is Coming", because that's the slogan of the Apostolic Church worldwide. The sign was illuminated during night and day. I have no idea about the history of the sign or what happened to it since the 70s.

I found two mentions of the sign on Google that said the sign was vertical and on the front of the church , but there's no photo. I had taken pictures of it, but all of my Hawaii photos were lost around 1979 due to a psycho girlfriend.

Christian missionaries come to Lahaina town in the 1800s. Back then it was common for large buildings like churches to be constructed with lava blocks, and that's what the one I saw was built of. The church in the photo you posted looks to be of late 20th century style. Perhaps the church I remember was replaced by this building.

I'm quite sure of my memory, but can't explain the discrepancy.

IROCdave, I was a fan of Ratt. Long live big hair!

Cray Paper

Reaction score
You have to admit your testosterone level jumped a couple of points watching that Ratt vid. Hotel CA was a decent song, but shit, we were not all all Junkies when it was released. The 80's rock was all about sex. The 60's and 70's was about beating around the bush, glam rock rock got straight to the point.

rrrr

Reaction score
I evolved quickly. :D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The best part about music from those days was that albums were designed to be listened to with EVERY song being part of the process.

The whole album was a novel, and each song was a chapter. I think my favorite has to be Desperado, the story of a young farm hand, coming of age. That album came out during the time I was doing some major bar hopping. Used to drive up to (the original, before it burnt down) Arrowhead Village on Saturday nights just to see what kina fun I could find. ;)

"I tipped her a silver dollar, and she brought me a drink for free"

Been there, done that. Waited for her in the parking lot after and we dated for a couple of months.

Great times. Great music. Kids today and their one hit wonders will never live life like that. (and maybe that is a good thing) ;)

bocco

Reaction score
I have never seen Boston live either but their first two albums were a staple in my room when I was in jr high.

Got to admit I loved Boson's music. I couldn't pick a favorite song from the first album, they were all great. To this day I can nail every drum roll on my steering wheel.

But I think that Boston was a one member band that could really mix music and the live performances were fakes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

bocco

Reaction score

Never cared much for Hotel California. Loved James Dean. Loved Heartache tonight. Loved already gone.

Interesting point that they were Linda Ronstadt's back up band. They show up when I search for her on Youtube. Love this one:

bocco

Reaction score
And one of my Vince Gill favorites. My wife doesn't think this song is funny.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Got to admit I loved Boson's music. I couldn't pick a favorite song from the first album, they were all great. To this day I can nail every drum roll on my steering wheel.

But I think that Boston was a one member band that could really mix music and the live performances were fakes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No you are correct.
Scholz graduated from MIT with a masters degree, went to work for Polaroid, and built his own recording studio in his basement. His initial demos were rejected, but finally he signed with, I believe, Epic?
That was after re-enlisting Delp and the drummer Masdea.
Those first demos were most of the first album. Scholz played every single instrument except for the drums. When they got the deal, the label insisted on a touring band, and that the songs be reproduced in their professional studio. Scholz put together a band, but got the record label to bend on the studio deal because he wanted to work at his own pace in his home studio.
The deal was for 10 albums I think.
Well, album one is one of the best selling debut albums of all time. Like 17 million sold. Almost all the iconic Boston songs are on that album.
Scholz was a fanatic about his songs and their construction.
The second album took 2 more years, and he actually said later that it was “rushed”. After that he encouraged his “band” members to do whatever else they had going on.
The 3rd album took 6 more years...and that’s when the $60 million lawsuit was filed against Scholz by the label/ CBS for failure to produce.

Boston was in a way never a “real” band. They were put together by Scholz to satisfy the label, and over the years I think there was close to 20 different members.
He was a brainiac with an MIT degree who was 100% capable of turning out studio music nearly singlehandedly. The same music we know as that bad ass first album.