WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Old 69 Hondo

Shane Skolil

Reaction score
My mom just sent me this picture. My late old man and the boat before it got the newer paint job. I remember driving this thing when I was 5 years old. I was sitting drivers seat, and my dad must have had his foot on the gas. Felt like I was going 120mph. Probably only doing 30, lol. Water pellets stinging my face. It was only a small block chevy, but it was super cool. The water-gator. Flake gold metalic gelcoat.

When this shit show is over, I would love to have a nice v drive. However, Maui Hawaii is not the place for a flatty.

Attachments

• Old Hondo.jpg
    Old Hondo.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 693

dave29

Reaction score
Love the picture. I had a 71.

37slant

Reaction score
My mom just sent me this picture. My late old man and the boat before it got the newer paint job. I remember driving this thing when I was 5 years old. I was sitting drivers seat, and my dad must have had his foot on the gas. Felt like I was going 120mph. Probably only doing 30, lol. Water pellets stinging my face. It was only a small block chevy, but it was super cool. The water-gator. Flake gold metalic gelcoat.

When this shit show is over, I would love to have a nice v drive. However, Maui Hawaii is not the place for a flatty.
The boat with my buddy holding it at Lake Nacimiento circa 1972
View attachment 866772
The boat with my buddy holding it at Lake Nacimiento circa 1972
View attachment 866772

Very Nice !!

dave29

Reaction score
Hey dave29 I have your old boat now powered by a dart 582
I loved that boat!!! The Pantera bottom was great on larger lakes like Shasta. We drove around the lake many times in it. The boat also saw a lot of duty at Lake Nacimiento. Went on a couple of trips with Mike Brendel and bought a new interior from him for it.
So glad it's still around.

zhaas76

Reaction score
It's been back to Shasta a couple times. It's good to here some history on it. I bought it as a basket case and restored it to what it is today

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230606_080308_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230606_080308_Gallery.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20230606_080937_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230606_080937_Gallery.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20230606_072010_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230606_072010_Gallery.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 45

dave29

Reaction score
You did a nice job. I bought the boat from a marine yard on Van Nuys Blvd in Van Nuys, Calf. It was about 2 years old. I ran it on a couple of trips to shake it down. I replaced the strut and prop shaft and realized the motor was hurt. Thats when I took it to Landy's. Ran great after.
This is the third 18' inboard boat previously owned by me that has popped up.
One was my Canyon pictured below and the other was a Cole. that I'll post.a picture of when I find it.
Scan 1.jpeg

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
@zhaas76 @dave29

How did/does that Hondo handle? I have a fiend that is restoring one right now. That v-drive looks way far back there in the pics, any clue what the strut angle is in it?

zhaas76

Reaction score
@zhaas76 @dave29

How did/does that Hondo handle? I have a fiend that is restoring one right now. That v-drive looks way far back there in the pics, any clue what the strut angle is in it?
It was great with around 600 hp it did 85 and handled rough water well. Now that I built an 850 ish hp motor it starts trying to lift the boat out of the water at 90 . I had the diameter of the prop cut down and cut an 1 1/4 off the prop shaft and strut barrel to help transfer the weight over the rear to help keep it in the water . All the changes have helped but it's still not right. I'm going to try a different prop next. The strut angle is at 10° and that is definitely a huge part of the problem. There have been other pantera bottoms set up more like a flat with a 7° strut with a small diameter prop that worked at higher speed.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
It was great with around 600 hp it did 85 and handled rough water well. Now that I built an 850 ish hp motor it starts trying to lift the boat out of the water at 90 . I had the diameter of the prop cut down and cut an 1 1/4 off the prop shaft and strut barrel to help transfer the weight over the rear to help keep it in the water . All the changes have helped but it's still not right. I'm going to try a different prop next. The strut angle is at 10° and that is definitely a huge part of the problem. There have been other pantera bottoms set up more like a flat with a 7° strut with a small diameter prop that worked at higher speed.

That was exactly my concern when I saw the rigging pics. Those have a pad bottom correct? Im sure that helps it even with the 10* strut

zhaas76

Reaction score
yes it has a delta pad. i hope a prop change will help but i might end up building a new strut.