WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Old Polyester vs new fiberglassing materials

Dillinger 35

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

Asking the experts here, can anyone tell me back in the 80's we're all or most of the fiberglass boats built with polyester resins .
How good were the materials back then, vs now with newer materials or have they changed much? better stronger lighter more stable
Ok let me be more to the point and why I am asking. I like the older designs from the 80's not so much on the newer designs out there .
Seeing I have not found a reproduction, of a certain design I was after thought I would ask, is it worth putting money into an old glass boat have it restored, my guess is there are a lot of factors in this. How well it was maintained, and who built the boat but still seeing
I do not know much about old polyester built boats I thought I would ask .
Any Help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Many (most) are using vinylester resin these days, which is stronger.

I’m not even sure what the new infusion resins are? The infused boats have less weight in theory as more resin is removed from the part and it sandwiched tighter.

This should keep you busy for a while.

lenmann

Reaction score
Old boat lover beware...check my Schiada RC thread out to see how bad it can be: https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/1979-schiada-rc-the-boss.142398/

Mine is a '79 and the guys at Schiada told me it was built with polyester resin and the best available reinforcements at the time: 6 oz. glass cloth, 3 oz. chopped strand mat, and 24 oz. woven roving. They also recommended that I add at least one layer of 1708 double bias woven glass with mat to the hull during the repair process to add strength to the old girl. 40 plus years of use takes it toll even on the best built hulls of the time.

If you absolutely have to have an old boat, the best advice I can give you is buy the absolute best boat you can to start with. Spend the extra dough up front, it will be far cheaper in the end and you will spend more time using the boat vs. working on it.

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
Lenman would know as he too is knee deep in his restoration. His sled is going to be AMAZING when it's finished and should be placed in a museum and not back on the water. Just my .02. 😁

The resins available today are superior to what was available back in the day. The reputable builders laid their hulls up thick and for that reason alone, the boat should last. Look at Apache, Cigarette, Formula, Schiada, etc. The quality builders made products they were proud of and didnt have as many issues as some other companies who built potato chips and used chopper guns instead of laying the hulls up by hand.

I too like the older hull designs and found a gem that I will begin restoring in the future. The hull thickness is close to an inch and the hull is in phenomenal condition. It is a tank and will take some power to see it's full performance potential, but that's what I was looking for. So do your research, make an informed decision, then start a build thread. Take other's advice along the way because many have done and ARE doing exactly what you are considering. Good luck!